00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

DNS Updating

22,320 Views | 210 Replies
Respond to this Topic

DNS Updating 2004-01-18 16:33:57

Please read the below posts to get up to speed with what has happened this weekend.

We are still waiting for the DNS (Domain Name Servers) to update world wide. Until then many users will not be able to view portal content. Since DNS usually updates at different times around the world some users should be able to start accessing the content, while others, like myself, might have to wait until their ISP updates which could be 12AM, or some time in the next 24 hours.

So if you can view content please leave a comment and tell us that Flash movies and games are loading okay for you.

If you can't view anything still please refrain from responding as we don't want to look through 100 posts saying "Nothing loads for me!" to find 2 or 3 "Content just started loading for me!"

Also if you have been able to view content, can you let us know around what time it started working for you? Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 16:49:00

Seriously, anyone that posts something other than "The flashes are loading now" will be banned.

All other comments can go in the other front page thread. Keep this one clean.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 16:57:08

THIS IS AN FYI! Im not just posting here because we were told that it would be best not to.... Im here to tell anyone what exactly the domain name server is, what it does, and why its needed for any site to function. DNS is basicly a listing of all the web addreses there are, like www.newgrounds.com, www.google.com and the like. These actual servers arent storing all the data for the site, they merely link to the I.P (internet protocal) of the server in question that hosts all the data. So, NG might actually link to 800.984.874.12:3412 (dont try it, its not real) and access all the files from there. Ive noticed recently it comes up with upload.newgrounds.com, a new domain where all the .swf files are hosted, possibly the one that needs refreshing. So, there are no .swf files to link to in essence, as they cant be talked to, so no page for them can be created, and you cant see the content. Just to say, voting and reviewing has been disabled (at last) so no one can make n00bish reviews. So, either post on the forums and come back later, or do somthing else for a while. Like sleep. Sleep is good. I would have recomeded people to vote 5 for all the front page items if voting were still up, to get some XP and save them from the leigions of n00bs, but i dont have to do that now. I thought i would say, im still getting extreme load errors, and the content isnt up, which im amazed at, in a bad way.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 17:06:11

The movies seem to be attempting to load here in Switzerland, but the server seems to be under an intense load. Im on broadband and the flash has been loading for at least five minutes. However it seems to be loading a file, so I believe this is evidence that the DNS has updated here...is the server just under intense load now from the updating?

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 17:32:11

Hi Wade movies/games are loading great for me aswell as the site keep up the great work.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 17:32:18

I discovered a more clever way of viewing movies in the down-time.
If the movie doesn't load, look at the source code (right-click "view source"). Find the line
A HREF="http://uploads.newgrounds.com/135000/...........
Copy the URL and replace "newgrounds.com" with "ungrounded.net" and then play it.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 17:41:52

The error message went away for me, they're starting to load now

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 17:49:15

I'm in toronto and I'm able to view portal content with the exception of the 50 most recent submissions. its about 5:45 pm here when i checked.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 18:01:29

It did "start" to load when I did that, but it conked out & gave up.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 18:11:44

i can view flashes without any problem, i just can't vote on anything. otherwise everything is good

Now You Have To Wash The Floor And Do All Of My Laundry!!!!

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 18:39:43

I see everything.
All the time.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 18:52:48

Hmm. Interesting. I have 2 ISP available to me, one is MSN the other some small internet company you never heard of, but uses the same servers as atlantic.net. My msn cannot view anything, but my small isp can. I tried it at 6:50 PM, EST. Voting still disabled, of course.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 19:05:07

At 1/18/04 06:52 PM, Faithhammer wrote: Hmm. Interesting. I have 2 ISP available to me, one is MSN the other some small internet company you never heard of, but uses the same servers as atlantic.net. My msn cannot view anything, but my small isp can. I tried it at 6:50 PM, EST. Voting still disabled, of course.

Meh. Well scratch some of that. I had chosen a big file to test on. My isp no longer gets the cannot find dsn error or whatever, but it just sits there loading nothing. Maybe just a sign of progress. oh well. time will tell.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 19:14:36

Well mine is trying to load but its taking forever... Im not in the mood to wait and my internet connection is broadband so its not loading normal for me..

I live in the midwest btw..

BBS Signature

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 19:49:51

I've been able to see the portal since this morning. Its like it never left, altough there are about a thousand new entrys that havn't passed judgement.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 19:53:15

At 1/18/04 07:49 PM, itsu wrote: I've been able to see the portal since this morning. Its like it never left, altough there are about a thousand new entrys that havn't passed judgement.

He's talking about Portal Entries, not the main listing.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 20:34:57

At 1/18/04 08:24 PM, Wolvie wrote: Who are you

The guy that banned you for a week

and who made you the boss of NG?

The guy whose topic you are shitting up

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 20:51:45

sweet everything is up and running

DNS Updating

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 20:52:34

At 1/18/04 05:32 PM, GrifMoNeY wrote: I discovered a more clever way of viewing movies in the down-time.
If the movie doesn't load, look at the source code (right-click "view source"). Find the line
A HREF="http://uploads.newgrounds.com/135000/...........
Copy the URL and replace "newgrounds.com" with "ungrounded.net" and then play it.

GrifMoNeY is right: If your movies or games aren't loading right click at the black background and click "VIEW SOURCE". Find the URL thats says http://uploads.newgrounds.com/13500.... depending on what you're tryng to view, copy the URL, paste it in the address bar and instead of "newgrounds.com" replace it with "ungrounded.net". However I don't think there is A HREF in front of it. If movies and games aren't working for you, try GrifMoNkey's method and enjoy!

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 20:54:47

Woops, I spelt your name wrong GrifMoNey. Sorry.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:11:30

Can you put this in the right form in the http:// thing?
38345_tails10.swf
please.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:18:43

Im going through reading reviews to movies.... People really need to start looking at the front page if there is a problem with every movie or game. I see reviews like: "Are you retarted, your game doesnt work", or "Fix the Link"... If people took their friggin time to read the news. Anyway I think after the DNS update is complete, the NG staff should go through and delete posts by these people so authors, when looking back on their movies or games, have to be reminded of the stupidity of some people.

BBS Signature

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:23:58

At 1/18/04 09:11 PM, Yunlo wrote: Can you put this in the right form in the http:// thing?
38345_tails10.swf
please.

Yeah, of course, it's part of the URL.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:24:31

Hi, I'm from malaysia here and things are starting to load up slowly (very slowly) and it's 10.30am here. (19/1/2004) Last time I tried was 12am yesterday and it wasn't working.

DNS Updating

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:31:21

My friend just called me and told me his was working. It's about 4:00 AM where he lives.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:31:52

I think stuff is starting to load here again...

PA, USA - 9:30PM

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:41:56

Were back up in Texas. :) Were not hix!

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:50:06

Im really sorry to post this but... If it's loading slowly, it's not going to load. When it loads slow like that it's actually trying to find the page, which of course means that it's still not there. trust me, you'll know when it's back up.

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 21:59:46

Everything works for me now at 9:38 in eastern central time all thats left now is for you guys to re-enable voteing..

ps. There was alot of reviews given a 0/10 because submissions didnt load.

Also i dont know if this means anything but in the portal theres some movies called 1337 that are 75 kb blank movies about 7 by 7 pixels, is this related to evilbird and his ghey attempt to ruin NG?

Response to DNS Updating 2004-01-18 22:03:57

I've been able to view stuff since I woke up this morning, 8 am pst.
Went out, came back, still able to view.

At least let me be able to vote since this DNS thingy seems to likes me =D .
Good luck guys ...

At 1/16/09 06:14 AM, Jonas wrote:

: Altr remains the only reason the BBS is here. It waits for him to post, and cries when he ignores it's unlubed asshole.

BBS Signature