00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chilletid just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

building hardware effects

807 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

building hardware effects 2009-05-06 06:10:29

any oninions welcome
hi, im looking to build a graphic equaliser as a footswitch effect to go in between the mic and the mixer to use as a vocal effect,

anyone out there clued up on this kind of thing?

will probably use a basic electronics project from maplins or somewhere similar, any thoughts?

i thought this would be a good topic to discuss, as there are many people like myself who would like to know more about this kind of thing!!!!!!!!

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 06:11:39

Well get busy!

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 06:13:48

yeah great reply, thanks for that, do you know much about this subject?????

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 06:55:38

Graphic EQ as a vocal effect?

I can't see many possibilities there mate.

For the effect that you're trying to achieve (I assume that it's going to be for telephone style vox), a graphic EQ would definitely be overkill.

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 07:43:27

its more of a megaphone sound im trying to achieve, but it needs to be bypassable mid performance by foot switch, i can achieve a near enough sound by dropping the bass and treble out of the vox mix, but its getting it into a foot switch is the problem,
what would you suggest as apposed to eq?

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 08:15:39

At 5/6/09 07:43 AM, robjohns4539 wrote: what would you suggest as apposed to eq?

Well, it would be an EQ circuit, but definitely not a graphic EQ.

Now I haven't done electronic theory for a while, but I'm reckoning you could put a low-pass and high-pass filter together to create a band-pass, and that's like...4 or so components (two resistors, and two capacitors).

Passive filtering should be fine, but a pre-amp may be neccesary.

I might break out the soldering iron tomorrow and see if I can get a working design together...

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 08:23:29

Also, just found this interesting piece of software :)

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg ?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDoc Name=en010007

It allows you to design a filter with the exact frequency response you're after, and it spits out a circuit diagram for you. Pretty fun to mess around with :D

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 08:47:05

nice one jarrydn,
nice to get a usefull and helpfull reply from someone, i think your spot on with the high/low pass filter,
will check out the link - that sound really cool, as i am new to electronics projects and that seems like exactly the kind of thing i'm after,
thanks again

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 12:05:18

If you're looking to get into electronics as a somewhat serious hobby, THIS is a good book to invest in. It will give you a solid overview of both AC and DC circuit analysis.

Regarding the effect, a bandpass is exactly what you're looking for.

Here's a site with some information about filters.

Response to building hardware effects 2009-05-06 12:13:48

thanks people, very helpfull, will check out all the link asap.

cheers