00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Major Difficulties

8,509 Views | 104 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 17:32:18

I've only got one type 1 error in all the time I've been on I hope this lasts a long time I wish all the users good luck loding evrything up

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 17:33:23

Poor Tom. It seems like your troubles are never ending. See what happenes when you think everything is just going grand? Shit happens, and everything blows up in your face. But dont get discouraged. I feel for you, man.

Things will be better soon...

... we all hope...

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 18:22:25

dude it is working i haven't seen in like three days

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 18:26:14

With hardware and soft ware, there is only two states of mind. One is that you think you're an absolute genius when it works. Two you think you are the biggest moron when it doesn't work. There is no grey when it comes to computers.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 18:27:05

Hey Tom its not your fault I mean your site has like the most flash games and movies thats a lot when an error comes up all i do is refresh and then i get the page i want but I don't refresh it like 50 time I only do it once if that dont work i just close the website window and reopen it again.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 18:41:39

there's no need to be angry my good friend. It's not the end of the world nor you have pooped your panties...:-P

I wasnt angry.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 18:44:11

At 1/13/04 09:09 AM, TomFulp wrote: We are experiencing major difficulties this morning... The database was down for a few hours. The site is back up, although likely unstable. The problems never end!

i was sad when i couldnt blam protect befor i went back to school. :(

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 19:25:45

I think its also time to ask if we can do anything as the user. I'm not exactly sure how these things run, but is it possible to put a cap on the number flash uploads, or raise the "blam" level, or limit the number of BBS posts to help control some of the over-load problems?

It makes more sense to restrict some things till these problems get sorted out instead of Tom going insane over these problems, and having New Grounds collapse onto itself.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 19:54:16

i dont care about erros newgrounds is my one stop for comedy,killing, and fun! Best site ever and free so you guys shouldnt complain TOO much

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:06:45

At 1/13/04 09:09 AM, TomFulp wrote: We are experiencing major difficulties this morning... The database was down for a few hours. The site is back up, although likely unstable. The problems never end!

wont you fell much better once their alllll over?

until you get even more users wanting more bandwidth and such... then your screwed again.... lol

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:33:04

At 1/13/04 04:35 PM, cuban_stoner wrote: This site is fucking weird about 2 hours ago it took me an hour to sig in. Now I havent had eny dificulties since then. It keeps on changing like that from 333333333 errors to perfect loading.

Question, how do you "sig" in?

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:36:30

At 1/13/04 07:25 PM, Hawker23 wrote: I think its also time to ask if we can do anything as the user. I'm not exactly sure how these things run, but is it possible to put a cap on the number flash uploads, or raise the "blam" level, or limit the number of BBS posts to help control some of the over-load problems?

No, and thats that.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:40:18

I wouls have came in here to complain, but it was down.
What hapened to the faster server you guys were getting???
Did they not give it to you??

I DON'T WANNA SOUND GAY OR NUTHIN', BUT THAT SHIT IS HOT!!

BBS Signature

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:47:44

Yeah,I noticed this morning when lots of errors keep on poping up

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:54:20

I dont think most of us were here in the morning...

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:55:33

this might not be the relevant topic...
but tom., you were going to change the slogan right?
just change it a lil bit... the errors of the future, today!

it suits ng perfectly at the moment i think lol

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 20:58:36

omg somebody stole the sign-in button! now i cant look into my profile...does anyone else have this? >:(

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 21:16:44

Server do crash down form time to time, but come on! Managing a web site is not easy, keep up the good work Tom!!!

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 22:13:03

Tom I had alot of problems with the site after school today it's running better now though please Tom I hope you get this solved soon.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 22:14:29

Juster, do you have DSL/Cable/T1?

If you do: *shoots you in the face*

The Errors finally quit at 3:30 PM Eastern Standard Time for me. Thank you god.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 23:20:49

I know how it is! My sites been giving me problems all day

Major Difficulties

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-13 23:33:12

Your right, prob by the time u fix this prob anther 1 will come up about a week later.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 02:34:54

At 1/13/04 03:16 PM, insominations wrote: I noticed all my Flashtoons are off the portal list. I posted 5 movies between late Dec. & mid-Jan.. All of them still come up under a search. Is this related to the database problem, or did I do or say something wrong?

The portal list, I'm assuming, that you're referring to is the 50 most recent list. As the name suggests, it's the 50 most recent movies to be submitted to NG without having been blammed, so it's a mix of under judgement movies waiting to be blammed or saved, and a bunch of recently saved movies.

That is where your movies were the days they were submitted a couple weeks ago or however long. NO one's movies stay on that list any longer than current submission rates allow. Things slip off when there are 50 newer movies, simply put.

The center top list is the past week's top movies, so your movie won't be there unless it was one of the best of the week, and even then it'll only stay on that list for 7 days.

The center bottom list is for each day's SINGLE top movie, so your movie won't be there unless it was THE best of the day. And even then, after 20 days, movies fall off of that list, too.

The ONLY list on the main portal page that your movie can stay on with no time limit is the top 50 of all time.

But clearly, it's gotta be even better than the movies on the two center lists to stay on it, or even get on it in the first place, really.

At 1/13/04 04:51 PM, TheComet wrote:
What are you saying?
I've had the best Newgrounds session ever! Not a single error yet and I've watched 15 movies and looked at about 10 BBS posts! :D

did you read a word he said? "THIS MORNING." He posted that at 9:09 AM. You were having no problems at 4:51 PM. Do some math, that's 8 hours after Tom posted.

Didn't it occur to you that things got better during the day, after the insanity of this morning's shutdowns and errors?

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 06:12:49

Yeah MAn i got sick trying to open anything on NG beacuase each and every page was showing an error!

Im so sad bacause a greedy beast like me havent deposited his EXP points for the past 2 days :(

Woah but craziness is craziness

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 07:14:02

At 1/13/04 08:33 PM, jakeoff191919 wrote:
At 1/13/04 04:35 PM, cuban_stoner wrote: This site is fucking weird about 2 hours ago it took me an hour to sig in. Now I havent had eny dificulties since then. It keeps on changing like that from 333333333 errors to perfect loading.
Question, how do you "sig" in?

You know what I meant you dumbass.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 11:21:23

All I can do is wish you and the rest of Team Newgrounds luck on smoothing everything out.

Hehe, I got an error trying to post this. You have the full support of this picture of the Island Boys now.

Major Difficulties

BBS Signature

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 14:28:20

yeah there was problems logging in. WOoOoOo 1st post! Anybody heard of the cooper temple clause in america? (english band)

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 15:17:22

I must say that today the errors seem to be at an all time low. For me anyways, whatever you did good job!

BBS Signature

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 15:25:08

At 1/14/04 02:34 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 1/13/04 03:16 PM, insominations wrote: I noticed all my Flashtoons are off the portal list. I posted 5 movies between late Dec. & mid-Jan.. All of them still come up under a search. Is this related to the database problem, or did I do or say something wrong?
The portal list, I'm assuming, that you're referring to is the 50 most recent list. As the name suggests, it's the 50 most recent movies to be submitted to NG without having been blammed, so it's a mix of under judgement movies waiting to be blammed or saved, and a bunch of recently saved movies.

That is where your movies were the days they were submitted a couple weeks ago or however long. NO one's movies stay on that list any longer than current submission rates allow. Things slip off when there are 50 newer movies, simply put.

The center top list is the past week's top movies, so your movie won't be there unless it was one of the best of the week, and even then it'll only stay on that list for 7 days.

The center bottom list is for each day's SINGLE top movie, so your movie won't be there unless it was THE best of the day. And even then, after 20 days, movies fall off of that list, too.

The ONLY list on the main portal page that your movie can stay on with no time limit is the top 50 of all time.

But clearly, it's gotta be even better than the movies on the two center lists to stay on it, or even get on it in the first place, really.

Hey gfox,
Thanx for your quick response. I guess I should have specified "under" the portal list. (where it says "view all"). I had 5 movies on those pages, the newest one was archived about 2 pages in. There were lots of other movies w/ the same dates as mine, so I was just curious as to where they went. They mostly scored pretty well, so I don't think they were "BLAMMED," but maybe they were.

Response to Major Difficulties 2004-01-14 15:44:32

About the problems, this might be related. But I'm thinking you need some more servers. Every second I have to refresh, and I end up having to restart IE. It's very annoying :(
I know adding more servers costs money, but I think it would help unclog some problems.
Thanks

BBS Signature