00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GluttonWolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,798,501 Views | 34,319 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 07:02:34

At 10/25/10 11:26 PM, Envy wrote: well i dont mean making music for advertisements. I mean actually designing the advertising campaign. Like a commerical or something.

Yes i study Interactive media. So i get to go to companies who design commercials and junk. Having some music knowledge in this branch can be pretty usefull. Your company doesnt need to hire a composer they'll just use you. Plus that would look pretty good on your résumé.

And if you're talking about YouriX then yeah, Newgrounds isn't the greatest place to get your name out there, but it is a start. Your best bet is to either A) know someone
or B) find a small game company that has like an open tryout.

Yes it sucks. I only have one of my song in a Indie xbox game. That is pretty neat so i am kinda living my dream. But i am not living from it :(

I know some games have had like little competitions where they're looking for composers. That would be a good start, even if it's a small game company.

Yeah i would go for any Indie company. But then i would have to travel alot. The game industrie here in holland is starting to grow. But its not big enough to fit alot of people in it. And there are a bunch of guys standing in line before me. So it going to be tough. In the mean time i'll just go to school and live from student loans....

At 10/25/10 11:23 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: To bad Newgrounds seems to be invisible to game companies, because there are lots of great composers in here that would probably make the most interesting and original soundtracks.

Yeah but Newgrounds does own part of a Game Company Behemoth.(If im correct) But its going to be pretty hard competing with some good hardcore composers here in NG.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 10:01:50

Hey, I've got a couple questions:

1) I've realized after the fact that one of my songs would do better in the Classical genre than in Miscellaneous, where it is now. Is there any way to reclassify my song?

2) If someone uses your song in a flash animation, do you get a message or alert of some sort that tells you?

Cheers

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 13:13:39

At 10/26/10 12:37 PM, LaForge wrote: Hey does anyone else in this bitch hunt? I went up this weekend and saw a couple doe, but they were about 50 yards out and I couldn't get a shot with my bow.

I go to the childrens park sometimes. Saw some enfants, but they were about 50 yards away and I couldn't get a throw off with my net.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 13:17:09

At 10/26/10 12:37 PM, LaForge wrote: @DiMono: to answer your second question, no, you do not get a notification. At least I never did. Might have changed since a year ago.

Also welcome to the lounge.

Hey does anyone else in this bitch hunt? I went up this weekend and saw a couple doe, but they were about 50 yards out and I couldn't get a shot with my bow.

When my friends and I go shooting, we end up shooting squirrels and stuff, but AR's are illegal to hunt with, (which is the only thing I'd want to hunt with >8(

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-a sh2/hs311.ash2/59121_441882593490_667108 490_5056584_1336001_n.jpg

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 13:47:08

i am forgets.

i know i mustve asked this before atleast twice before on newgrounds BUT i must ask it agakn.

'are there sites like the audio portal that concentrate soley on classical music? and do not have some stupid points system but whatever other way of exposure in an honest (so not yt bullshit spamming random people friend invites) manner? '

I hope im not asking for the impossible... again..

Greets your neighbourhood alpha male calamaistr.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 15:47:49

At 10/26/10 11:00 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 10/26/10 10:01 AM, DiMono wrote: Hey, I've got a couple questions:

1) I've realized after the fact that one of my songs would do better in the Classical genre than in Miscellaneous, where it is now. Is there any way to reclassify my song?

2) If someone uses your song in a flash animation, do you get a message or alert of some sort that tells you?

Cheers
go into your account - and view your collective work - for each song you have submitted there should be an edit button under it- UNLESS it's gotten over 3000 view or been used in a flash - then you can no longer edit it.

Thanks, I have recategorized two of my songs and the others were fine to start with. The solution was obvious in hindsight, really.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-26 18:53:05

At 10/26/10 02:01 PM, Chronamut wrote: symphony of specters

SoS isn't a sort of audio portal, they're a group of rather skilled musicians making custom scores for monies.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 00:04:33

Selling off some studio gear:

Well I've decided to absolve myself of the sentimentality keeping me attatched to some/all of the gear in my studio, and have made the very grown up decision (in my opinion anyway) to sell some of it.

Fact is, a lot of my stuff is superfluous to my needs. Purchased on a whim, usually with next to no thought given to it. Then it just becomes this distracting thing sitting in the room, suffocating me, stopping me from writing music.

Anyway, if any of you guys are interested, I will be getting rid of the following items:

Roland W-30 with SCSI upgrade:
I bought this one on a whim probably 5 or 6 years ago. I got into sampling for a little while, but mainly held onto it because Liam Howlett from the Prodigy swears by it. I had some grand ideas of using it in a computerless setup, because the sequencer is rock solid and very deep, but really, I just don't NEED a workstation/sampler.

I managed to eventually track down a SCSI chip for it as well, so you can boot it off a hard drive and never have to bother with floppies again!

Roland D-50:
This was an interesting one. I'd always thought that the D-50 was rather unattainable, considering how highly people spoke of it, and the countless records it had been used on in the 80's, but then one came up at the right price, so I snagged it. It sounds gorgeous...it really does. All of the individual elements of the synth are pretty mediocre in their own right (weak sounding oscillators, digital filters, 8-bit attack samples, horrendous digital reverb), but together they add up to something ridiculously special. Brilliant for evolving pads (it has like 6 lfos), I was going to use it for just that. However, I've decided to focus on producing a very particular style of music (to stop me from getting distracted and losing focus), and it just doesn't call for complex, shimmery sounds. It almost hurts to let this one go, but whatever, it's just a hunk of metal and plastic when all is said and done.

Roland MC-505:
Yeah I don't know why I bought this one. For some reason I wanted an MC-303 (why?), but opted for the bigger model. I've seriously used this thing for like an hour.

Because I couldn't be fucked learning how the sequencer worked, I was going to use it as part of a MIDI setup based around an Amiga or compact Mac. Because it's basically a JV-1080 stuck in a groovebox, it would have been great as a sound module, with the added awesomeness of heaps of tweakable knobs (which send midi data). And the synthesis options are pretty deep (if you've ever programmed a JV you'll know this). Great for strings, and has a full compliment of Roland drum samples and synth samples.

Once again though, I shouldn't be thinking of building a second/third studio setup when I'm still trying to get my head around my current one, so it's gotta go!

Yamaha AN-200:
Ugh, this is killing me right now. I love this thing. I still might not sell it, but I think I probably should.

It's a 5 voice virtual analog synthesizer/groovebox. Based on the AN1x, one of the first ever (and arguably still one of the best sounding) VA synths produced. The D-50 which is quite a bit older could actually be considered a VA, but that's a boring story for another time ;D. I was actually on the hunt for an AN1x at the time, but couldn't find one locally, so went with this desktop module. Pretty much the same as the AN1x, just half the polyphony.

Anyway, the sounds you can get from this box are ridiculous. It's phat as hell. It does really awesome sync leads. You can stack/modulate the oscillators in myriad of ways. The filter is amazing, especially considering that it's digital. Does a great 303 squelch, and actually has some of the best drum samples I've heard on a groovebox. Even has some decent effects. This thing is pure acid.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a live performer. I can still use it as a synth module, and do have it sitting next to me at all times, but it doesn't get much use. I've been doing a lot of my song sketching in software at the moment, and even though the bass isn't as devastating, software is infintely more flexible.

The AN200 is quite an old box. There are programmers out there for it so I can kind of use it with my PC as if it were a VSTi, but I find it to be much more hassle than it's worth. Plus the polyphony is kind of a bummer. 5 voices is good if you're doing acid/techno/house/minimal, but if you want to get a big stack of oscillators going, then you can only play single notes, not chords.

So when this sells, I'm probably going to treat myself to a Virus B rack :]

As for when I want to do music on the go, I have my iPhone for that. And hopefully I get to beta test the Teenage Engineering OP-1. See, I'm hoarding shit again, and I haven't even gotten rid of stuff yet >___>

Other stuff:
Might have a couple of other odds and ends. Might be letting go of my Casio CZ-5000. Probably my Akai S-2000 sampler. Also have a Korg EX-800 laying around which could do with a new home. It's actually my father's, but he enjoys storing bits and pieces in my house. If he doesn't want it back, then it's next stop is eBay :P.

And you know...other bits of crap like patchbays and cables, and useless shit like this god awful behringer tube abomination. It's supposed to be a "harmonic exciter" or something like that. I haven't even fired it up, but I'm guessing that it does the job of a massively convoluted bass knob.

Anyway, enough crapping on. If anyone is interested, I'll post the auctions when I've finished cleaning and servicing the various pieces. I can definitely do discounted prices for fellow Audio Forum chums ;D

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 03:17:08

At 10/26/10 07:39 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 10/26/10 06:53 PM, Mich wrote:
At 10/26/10 02:01 PM, Chronamut wrote: symphony of specters
SoS isn't a sort of audio portal, they're a group of rather skilled musicians making custom scores for monies.
they still tend to specialize in classical/film score sorta stuff.. do they not?

perhaps but im not looking to make money i just want a place where people are more apreciative and where more discussion is triggered when i post music, on ng 99% of my music doesnt even get a single review, usually gets a 1.00 right away and is never looked at again, probably because everyone only listens to popular genres such as piledrive head into the ceiling and lay on the floor naked with a bitch and a car.

Im getting more and more convinced that despite newgrounds is cute and all, its not the place where i should be posting my genre.

so could use some help here.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 06:34:16

Jazz

Listen to the 1:30 - 2:30 part of this.

I don't know much about jazz, so... What style is it? What artists do such awesome insane instrumental mayhems? It's so fucking great. I DEMAND MOAR.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 07:04:05

At 10/27/10 06:34 AM, uint wrote: Jazz

I don't know much about jazz, so... What style is it? What artists do such awesome insane instrumental mayhems? It's so fucking great. I DEMAND MOAR.

Jazz is just making melodies roll, its pretty cool.
I use it in my style alot aswell, especially when i use the flute.

Lately ive become hooked a bit on the hammond (you know, opium teahouse music, groovy)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 08:01:27

BOO!

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 09:45:48

At 10/27/10 06:34 AM, uint wrote: Jazz

It's Big Band, not Jazz

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 14:18:20

Noobies

They're back!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 15:14:10

At 10/27/10 02:18 PM, Sequenced wrote: Noobies

They're back!

That's because we approved them. Oh well, at least we're preventing them from from making 'WAI AM I NOT APPROVED YET' threads. :3

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 15:23:00

At 10/27/10 07:04 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Jazz is just making melodies roll, its pretty cool.

I really, really hope you were just saying this to be funny...

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 16:17:17

They're back!

Where!

poop

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 16:17:24

ehm, im a fan of jazz mate.. i think you read to much strenght in the word just, it was a compliment toward jazz.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 17:50:40

At 10/27/10 04:17 PM, Archealor wrote:

They're back!
Where?

Fixed. ;)

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 18:30:56

Noobie

GUISE GUISE. I must confess to you all....I-... I'm a noobie :U

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 18:35:02

At 10/27/10 02:18 PM, Sequenced wrote: Boobies

They're back!

We need a break from all the gay talk and cock jokes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 18:45:17

At 10/27/10 06:35 PM, Mussirus wrote:

They're back!

Unless they're... MAN BOOBS.

I just ruined all the fun, didn't I?

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 19:10:32

At 10/27/10 06:45 PM, djInTheDark wrote:

They're back!

>:c

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 19:25:37

At 10/27/10 06:45 PM, djInTheDark wrote:

They're back!

Why?
Why did you do that?

Why?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 20:07:45

A break from the gay talk? Surely you jest. This is the Lounge after all :P

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 20:17:20

At 10/27/10 07:57 PM, LaForge wrote:

They're back!
Blasphemy. I oughta cock you in the mouth.

Nah, you don't have to do that.
Hey, what are you doing?
Dude! GET THAT THING AWAY FROM Mgrbgbrgblgl

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-27 22:05:18

Trying to get people to stop talking about gay things will only do the opposite.

Speaking of gay, I've officially decided that if my relationship doesnt work out, I'm gonna try out gayness instead.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-28 02:16:20

Inspiration

It's 2:15 in the morning and I'm pretty bored, so I feel like challenging myself and I'm going to make a song off my laptop speakers. I shall not use my actual speaker setup until it is finished.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-28 03:45:31

At 10/28/10 02:16 AM, Tzunami wrote: Inspiration

It's 2:15 in the morning and I'm pretty bored, so I feel like challenging myself and I'm going to make a song off my laptop speakers. I shall not use my actual speaker setup until it is finished.

Nice idea. When I'm stuck, I usually limit myself to using one VST, or switch over to my less-powerful netbook.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-10-28 03:56:32

At 10/28/10 03:45 AM, Rig wrote:
At 10/28/10 02:16 AM, Tzunami wrote: Inspiration

Nice idea. When I'm stuck, I usually limit myself to using one VST, or switch over to my less-powerful netbook.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Most of my songs end up changing genre in the middle of creating them, so I guess that counts as some form of handicap.

BBS Signature