00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wii Virtual Console

28,762 Views | 418 Replies

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-21 14:51:52

At 2/21/09 03:04 AM, The-Great-One wrote: The way I see it Super Smash Bros. Brawl is certainly better than Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, however I've always found Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64 better and more enjoyable than Super Smash Bros. Melee.

I just think that's nostalgia talking. We probably remember the original more fondly because it was the first and it had such a novelty factor to it. Unfortunately Melee gets the spot of middle child and as such, no one is really going to pay attention to it from here on out. It's really quite a shame.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-21 16:58:56

At 2/20/09 07:20 PM, Basspro55 wrote: Smash bros is awesome they should definitely port that over. Plenty people are gonna be downloading that like crazy when it comes out.

They already released it on the Japanese Virtual Console, so it's probably only a matter of time before they release is in North America.

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-22 19:14:41

COMING SOON TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pulseman
Publisher: SEGA
System: Sega Mega Drive (Genesis)
Cost: 900 Wii Points

In the 21st century, noted scientist and computer engineer Doc Yoshiyama had succeeded in creating the world's most advanced Artificial Intelligence. He called his creation "C-Life" and managed to make her aware, thinking, and feeling. However, he soon found himself in love with this C-Life girl and wanted to be closer to her, so he digitized and uploaded himself into his computer core, where the two "made love" by combining his DNA and her program core.

The end result of their love was the birth of a half-human, half C-Life boy named "Pulseman". Pulseman was unique in that he didn't need to remain inside a computer to survive, and had the power to channel electricity through his body, using it both as a weapon and as a means of quick transport through the power of "Volteccer".

Unfortunately, living in the computer world for so long twisted Doc Yoshiyama's mind, corrupting his brainwaves and his body. Doc Yoshiyama emerged back into the human world, but twisted and changed into the evil Doc Waruyama. Now, Doc Waruyama establishes the Galaxy Gang, spreading a new wave of cyber-terrorism across the world, and Pulseman must fight his own father and put an end to his gang for the sake of the free world.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-23 20:17:57

Commodore 64 games are now available on the North American Virtual Console. The three titles released today are International Karate, The Last Ninja and Pitstop II, all of which are 500 Wii Points.

So, I guess a lot of old school gamers will be happy to see these games on the Virtual Console, but everyone else probably wont care. I honestly can't see myself ever buying one of these, but then again, I don't know very much about the Commodore 64.

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-24 16:10:47

At 2/23/09 08:17 PM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: Commodore 64 games are now available on the North American Virtual Console. The three titles released today are International Karate, The Last Ninja and Pitstop II, all of which are 500 Wii Points.

So, I guess a lot of old school gamers will be happy to see these games on the Virtual Console, but everyone else probably wont care. I honestly can't see myself ever buying one of these, but then again, I don't know very much about the Commodore 64.

Hey, I'll be the one doing the updates around here. But as you said the Commodore 64 is now a selected genre for the Virtual Console.

International Karate
System: Commodore 64
Publisher: Commodore Gaming
Cost: 500 Wii Points

INTERNATIONAL KARATE is a simulation of a karate tournament where two people can play against each other or one can compete against the computer. During the game, you will fly around the world to various locations. In all stages of the game you will be watched over by the wise old judge who will award you either a half point or a full point, depending on how successful a hit has been.

Pitstop II

Pitstop II was the first racing game that brought the thrill of battling an opponent, the excitement of fighting for the lead out on the track, and the suspense of struggling to be the first out of the pits to the computer screen. Third-person graphics and a split-screen display allowed up to two players to experience the challenge of head-to-head car racing. Six of the world's toughest racetracks are waiting, from Brands Hatch and its hairpin turns to the mile-long straight of Vallelunga. You can practice against the computer, but nothing will compare to the fun of racing against another person. That's the whole story behind Pitstop II. It's simple-car racing was never meant to be a solo sport!

The Last Ninja

The evil shogun Kunitoki has long envied the powers of the ninja brotherhood and would do anything to acquire their knowledge. To this end he has sworn an oath to their total destruction. Once every decade all ninja must travel to the island of Lin Fen where they pay homage to the Shrine of the White Ninja and receive further teachings from the Koga Scrolls. Seizing the opportunity, Kunitoki summoned forth all the spirits from the depths of the netherworld and flung their full force against the amassed ninja. None escaped the wrath of Kunitoki. Word soon reached Armakuni, the last ninja, of the unnatural disaster that had slain his brothers, and gathering all his courage, he swore to wreak a terrible revenge on the shogun and all his followers. What unforeseen hazards lay in wait for him?

Wizball
Publisher: Commodore Gaming / OCEAN

The theme of Wizball is unique. It is a horizontally-scrolling game, which involves navigating around a landscape and shooting at sprites. However, the aim of the game is to collect droplets of coloured paint to colour the level. Each level starts off as monochromatic, drawn in three shades of grey, and needs three colours to be collected to complete it.

The player, a wizard who has taken the form of a green ball, has access to three levels at a time, and can navigate between them through portals. Each level has droplets of a different primary colour which may be collected. At the same time, each level needs a different colour to be added, which can be composed by collecting sufficient quantities of the correct primary colours.

Fatal Fury Special
System: NEO GEO
Publisher: D4 Enterprise
Cost: 900 Wii Points

Fatal Fury Special is an improved version of SNK's 2D one-on-one fighter Fatal Fury 2. It's a conversion of the 1993 arcade game of the same name. The objective is still to win the tournament by defeating all other fighters including end boss Wolfgang Krauser.

Fatal Fury Special features a fairly large selection of fighters that includes:

- The eight regular fighters from Fatal Fury 2.
- The four bosses from Fatal Fury 2.
- Krauser.
- Three characters returning from the first Fatal Fury.

Other improvements include:

- A new Count Down mode (defeat as many opponents as possible in 3 minutes).
- Extra color schemes for every character.
- New & improved background graphics.
- Dolby Surround Sound support.

Fatal Fury Special still features the series' trademark pseudo-3D movement along two planes.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-26 19:00:32

Alright Nintendo released the Commodore 64 as a the next genre in the Virtual Console games. Did anyone here grow up playing a Commodore 64? Or is Nintendo just cashing in on the Angry Video Game Nerd now? Also didn't that thing use a keyboard for some of it's games, so how would that work on the Wii?

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-26 20:37:03

At 2/26/09 07:00 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Also didn't that thing use a keyboard for some of it's games, so how would that work on the Wii?

Nintendo has implemented a virtual keyboard that can be brought by a certain button combination with the Wii remote. This was first seen in Pitstop II.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-26 20:38:05

I don't want Nintendo to have my credit card. They might spend it on chicken nuggets.

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-26 20:56:50

At 2/26/09 08:38 PM, catd77 wrote: I don't want Nintendo to have my credit card. They might spend it on chicken nuggets.

In Japan?

Sure, it's likely they have American resteraunts, but why would they eat it?

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-02-26 22:30:42

At 2/26/09 08:38 PM, catd77 wrote: I don't want Nintendo to have my credit card. They might spend it on chicken nuggets.

Then go out and buy a Wii Shop Points Card.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-05 03:58:41

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Publisher: Square Enix
System: SNES
Cost: 800 Wii Points

It's up to you to defeat the Empire! It's been nearly a quarter of a century since the Zetegenian Empire first conquered the Kingdoms of Zenobia through wrath, fear, and bloodshed. You are the leader of a band of rebels who have fought to preserve the last shred of honor in this desperate time of treachery. Manage the ranks of a full-blown rebel army, complete with hundreds of characters, magic items, weapons, and mystical Tarot cards. You must succeed in ousting the evil usurpers, as your fate, and that of the entire population, depends on it!

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-05 08:31:07

At 3/5/09 07:45 AM, Yamor wrote: I am planning on buying all of the Donkey Kong Country games for the Virtual Console... I don't know why I love them so much. ^^

Simplistic platforming, two player action, monkeys, bananas, who wouldn't love all that crazy stuff?

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-09 19:58:39

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
System: SEGA Master System
Genre: Platformer

Rejoin Alex Kidd in this platformer from the 1980s. Help Alex in a race against time to find the twelve missing zodiac signs hidden in six challenging levels including toyland, the robot factory, and an outer-space level, all complete with crazy enemies.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-24 01:06:13

The Wii has three new Virtual Console games that you won't care about, but I'm gonna post anyways.

Summer Games II
Publisher: Allied Kingdom Inc.

A thousand athletes. A hundred countries. Billions watching around the world as you enter the stadium, marching confidently among your nation's strongest, fastest, and boldest young men and women. Your gaze sweeps the crowd as you realize the scope of your achievement. You are about to compete against the world's best athletes in a 3,000-year-old competition. The pinnacle of athletic achievement. The Summer Games. SUMMER GAMES II challenges your competitive skills with a series of athletic contests for one to eight players. Experience the excitement and realism of eight different events--cycling, equestrian, fencing, high jumps, javelin, kayaking, rowing, and triple jump. Practice each event first to sharpen your skills. Then choose from the 18 countries you can represent in the competition and let the games begin!

DETANA TWIN BEE
Publisher: Konami
System: TurboGrafx16
Cost: 700 Wii Points

It's the popular vertical-scrolling shooter renowned for its cute and comical world. Here come Twinbee and Winbee on a mission to save the planet from evil alien invaders! Standing in their way are six stages full of goofy enemies! Play as Twinbee in one-player mode, or team up with Winbee in two-player-cooperative mode. With powerful attacks like Big Shot, or Twin Attack and Burst Attack in two-player mode, there's plenty of sting in their arsenal! Use your Shot to transform Bells that appear in stages into items with various effects. Stock up on these bad boys to expand your attack range and really have a blast!

Bomberman '94
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment, Inc.
System: TurboGrafx16
Cost: 700 Wii Points

BOMBERMAN has arrived to restore peace on the planet, which has been split into five parts by an evil hand! In addition to the nine members of the Bomber Family, the character ROOI shows up to lend a hand. Jump on the EGGS that appear from destroyed SOFT BLOCKS, and you can ride one of five types of ROOI. Each ROOI has different special abilities-use these well and you'll ride to victory! Bombs that turn according to arrows and other new gimmicks have been added to BATTLE GAME, increased to ten stages. Tag-team matches are now possible, ensuring that this game will be a blast!

Something you may enjoy

Shinobi

You control a ninja, Shinobi, who must battle his way through each level in search of hostages which must be rescued. You have shurikens, kicks and punches to defend yourself with, as well as powerful ninja magic which can clear the screen of enemies in one use. Each level is broken down into smaller scenes and hostages are guarded by big blokes who throw swords. Watch out for gun-toting enemy henchmen and ninjas. Reaching the end of each level will find you battling it out with a boss. These range from 8ft giants to helicopter gunships.

Secret Command

In this game you play the role of a lone soldier much like Rambo. Your main objective is to free prisoners of war while fighting of enemy soldiers. You have 2 weapons at your disposal. A machine gun which has unlimited ammunition and a bow which fires explosive warheads. The enemies respawn so you have to keep battling upwards. To free prisoners, you must blow up the huts they are kept in with your bow. The game also has a simultaneous 2-player mode. The game was originally released in Japan as Ashura. After this European version, the game got a complete graphical overhaul and was released in the US as Rambo: First Blood Part II, based on the movie.

Strider
System: SEGA Genesis (Mega Drive)

The year is 2048AD. In Russia, the evil Grand Master Meio has begun his insane plot to take over the universe. A lone figure drops from a stealth glider into Meio's base. He is Hiryu, Super A-Class Strider. His mission is to defeat the Grand Master and put an end to his plotting once and for all. Converted from the classic arcade game, Strider lets you run, jump, perform acrobatics and climb walls and overhangs. You wield a plasma sword, called a Cypher, through 5 levels fighting robots and guards, with mid- and end-level bosses.

SILLY RUMORS

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
2. Sonic CD
3. Earthbound
4. Mother 3 (Translated)
5. Duck Tales
6. GAME BOY CATEGORY
7. Nintendo DSi with Wii Virtual Console selling GAME BOY games.
8. Superman 64 (no it's not a joke)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Maks
10. Hey You Pikachu! (it would work with Wii Speak)
11. Duck Hunt (new controls)

HAVE A NICE DAY!
:D

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 02:38:35

IN THIS NEW POST! FINAL FANTASY I & II AS WELL AS ARCADE GAMES RELEASED TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE!

NEW CATEGORY TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

You can now acquire those golden age classics. The Arcade Games.
That's right the Arcade category is here!

STARFORCE
Publisher: Tecmo
System: VC Arcade

The classic vertical-scrolling shooter and a huge nationwide hit! Exhilarating play in which you can shoot down enemy units one after another with a single button. Hidden special bonuses scattered in all 25 areas. 1,000,000 bonus points for solving the biggest mystery. Rapid fir gained by docking with an ally unit, the PURSER. With various elements and rapid-fire play requiring strong and agile finger control, this is the mother of all shooters! Various settings (customizing the starting number of Final Stars, the difficulty of the game, etc.) are available!

GAPLUS
Publisher: NBGI
Cost: 600 Wii Points

The ultimate space battle is about to begin as you face off against the Gaplus forces! Fly around in eight directions and fire missiles to destroy enemies. Defeat all the enemies to advance to the next parsec. If you come into contact with an enemy or enemy missile, you'll lose a fighter. Once you lose all of your fighters, the game is over. Obtain Blaster Head power-ups by destroying the enemies that carry them. Collect parts for your fighter by destroying the enemies that carry them. Complete a full set to earn an extra fighter. During Challenging Stages, enemies will spin and bounce when hit. Keep juggling enemies within the bounds of the screen to earn bonus points.

MAPPY

Play as Mappy the police mouse to collect items that were stolen by Goro and his gang. Collect all of the stolen goods in the mansion to advance to the next round. If you come into contact with an enemy or fall into a pit, you'll lose a life. Once you lose all of your lives, the game is over. Extra lives will be awarded upon reaching certain point intervals. Jump on the trampolines to move up and down. Their color will change with each continuous bounce; if you jump on a red trampoline, it will break. Press the 1 Button or 2 Button to open or close a nearby door. Doors will open in the direction that the doorknob is facing. Open power doors to release an impact wave that'll knock any enemy in its path out of the mansion. The impact wave can only be fired once per power door.

THE TOWER OF DRUAGA

Control Gil, the hero, as he climbs the tower starting from the first floor. Pick up the key inside each maze and go through the door to advance to the next floor. To clear the game, you must defeat Druaga, the ruler of the tower, then advance to the top floor and save your beloved Ki. Lives can be lost in numerous ways, including (but not limited to) taking damage from enemies, failing to block a spell attack with your shield, touching fire, and running out of time. Once you run out of lives, the game is over. Note: Not all enemies will kill you instantly; some will need to land several hits before causing you to lose a life.

Final Fantasy
System: NES

Hironobu Sakaguchi's Final Fantasy... the first of one of the longest role-playing game series known to mankind. Final Fantasy is the game for the NES console that started it all. The world is veiled in darkness. Winds don't blow, the seas are stormy, and the earth rots. All people can hope for is that the ancient prophecy will be finally fulfilled. "When the world is veiled in darkness, four warriors will come..." And indeed, they come - the four characters you have previously chosen. Their first quest is to free a princess from the evil Garland. Final Fantasy uses a turn-based combat system. The enemies wait until all of your party members have performed their moves, and the ATB (active-time battle) system is not used. You can buy weapons and rest in the towns, and the world map is populated by monsters, with which you will be engaged in random fights. Before the game starts, you choose four characters from six different classes: Fighter, Thief, Blue Belt, White Mage, Red Mage, and Black Mage. Which four classes you choose for your character is entirely up to you. You also give the characters names.

Final Fantasy II(Japanese Title "Final Fantasy IV")
System: Super Nintendo

This is the fourth entry in the Final Fantasy series. It was known as Final Fantasy II internationally, because the second and third games were never released outside of Japan. The military country of Baron is one of the strongest in the land, with a proud army and a majestic air force known as the Red Wings. But, while their armies are kind and loyal, the recent actions of the King are anything but. The young Captain of the Red Wings, Cecil, is ordered to steal a crystal from a village of innocent magicians, and when he questions the actions of his King, Cecil is immediately thrown out of the country and sent off to kill strange monsters. Little does he realize the price the King's actions will pay, and what the true secret of the crystals, and their powers, truly is... This is the first Final Fantasy game that introduced the famous ATB (active-time battle) system: during the battles, you have a time indicator for each party member that tells you when this character is able to act. If it takes you too long to select a command for this character, the enemy will act without waiting for your turn. The game abandons the job system that was implemented in the first and the third game in favor of pre-set character classes (paladin, white mage, ninja, etc.) assigned to each party member.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 02:41:34

I can't wait for Earthbound.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 02:49:58

At 3/26/09 02:41 AM, ThePhantomGamer wrote: I can't wait for Earthbound.

You know Final Fantasy is coming. Something to fill the void.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 03:04:20

I demand Goemon the Mystical Ninja for the N64 now.

Or there will be bloodshed.

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 03:37:38

It's great to hear updates on the Wii Virtual Console and it's future releases,thanks man.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 12:02:10

Thanks for informing me on the latest release and what's coming soon. It's good to hear FFI and IV are coming out on VC, even though I have those two games on other consoles already. However, since VC is getting the original NES Final Fantasy, I'll probably look into getting that sometime.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:05:23

At 3/26/09 03:25 PM, xscoot wrote: I hope they release the arcade version of Strider as well as the NES one. Both were classics.

Don't you mean Stider for the Genesis?

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:22:50

At 3/26/09 02:41 AM, ThePhantomGamer wrote: I can't wait for Earthbound.

From what I've heard, it won't be coming to the Virtual Console at all.

Also, arcade games on the Virtual Console are going to rock. I hope they can get the Simpson's arcade game on there.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:28:26

At 3/26/09 04:22 PM, puddinN64 wrote: From what I've heard, it won't be coming to the Virtual Console at all.

Well who knows. If Ness could be put in all three Super Smash Bros. games and with Lucas in the Brawl. I would think Earthbound would come to the Virtual Console as well as a translated version of Mother 3. Like what Japan did with Marth and Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee and the release of Fire Emblem in North American.

Also, arcade games on the Virtual Console are going to rock. I hope they can get the Simpson's arcade game on there.

I'm hoping for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:33:54

At 3/26/09 04:28 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 3/26/09 04:22 PM, puddinN64 wrote: From what I've heard, it won't be coming to the Virtual Console at all.
Well who knows. If Ness could be put in all three Super Smash Bros. games and with Lucas in the Brawl. I would think Earthbound would come to the Virtual Console as well as a translated version of Mother 3. Like what Japan did with Marth and Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee and the release of Fire Emblem in North American.

The problem is that, while there is a high demand for the game, and Nintendo would surely profit off it, just like with Earthbound, there is a huge legal battle inside Nintendo because of all the references to Pop culture and the fact that the music is similar to a lot of copyrighted songs. Nintendo of America's lawyers want some things changed, but the Japanese wing of the company refuses to do it...It's quite sad actually.

I'm hoping for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game.

Have they even released any of the NES or SNES Turtles games on the VC yet?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:37:36

At 3/26/09 04:33 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Have they even released any of the NES or SNES Turtles games on the VC yet?

Yeah, you can play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. The one the AVGN reviewed. If you went through this whole thread you'd know that by now.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:40:52

At 3/26/09 04:37 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 3/26/09 04:33 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Have they even released any of the NES or SNES Turtles games on the VC yet?
Yeah, you can play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. The one the AVGN reviewed. If you went through this whole thread you'd know that by now.

I'm sorry I overlooked it. Please don't chomp my face off.

Plus, that one really sucks. Why couldn't they have put II or III on there instead?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 16:45:08

At 3/26/09 04:40 PM, puddinN64 wrote: I'm sorry I overlooked it. Please don't chomp my face off.

My apologies then.

Plus, that one really sucks. Why couldn't they have put II or III on there instead?

Granted it was hard, but it didn't suck. There were annoying parts of the game that was just a kick to the nuts though.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 17:22:12

At 3/26/09 04:45 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Granted it was hard, but it didn't suck. There were annoying parts of the game that was just a kick to the nuts though.

If it got a AVGN review, I'd say it sucks.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-26 23:48:57

At 3/26/09 05:22 PM, puddinN64 wrote: If it got a AVGN review, I'd say it sucks.

AVGN doesn't always review bad games. He's reviewed Super Mario Bros. 3 as well as Duck Tales. Plus he references to good games as well, a lot.

Also if you haven't noticed he has included good reviews mixed in with his bad reviews. Like when he did his Batman episodes, SEGA CD, and even his latest videos the Jaguar episodes. In Indiana Jones he closed with a good game.

Response to Wii Virtual Console 2009-03-27 00:05:57

makes the wii somewhat better because nintendo cant make any good games like they used to

PLEEZ STEEL MY SIGNICHUR

BBS Signature