00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless

117,182 Views | 3,431 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Endless 2003-03-27 22:09:20

Hello everyone. Yet another club for your viewing pleasure:

This is a place for Comic book enthusiasts to chat on NG. Talk about anything, the books we like, what's new, whats good, ask questions, give reviews, talk about movie or tv projects on going or coming up involving comics, and just generally have fun and share our enjoyment of this wonderful yet often misunderstood medium.

Couple of fast ground rules:

1. On your first post, please include the books you like, it will give me and anybody else an idea of the kind of books to talk about, and be on the look out for. Because this is going to be more like a discussion thing than an actual group, I want people to feel like they can get in on the conversations and that we're talking about books and stories that people read.

2. I DO NOT require you to put some kind of sig pic or member number into your sig, profile, or anywhere else. I can't do jack with art on the com, so I really wouldn't be able to make a sig pic to give you, if somebody wants too okay great, I want this to be very interactive and any kind of ideas to improve, or expand are absolutely welcome. If you would like to identify yourself as a member, by either sig pic, or number, feel free to do so, but I won't require it.

3. No flames please, I don't mind disagreement, I don't mind if someone talks about the X-Men and you think the X-Men suck so you say so. Debate is good, and I think a heated debate or argument can be really fun, but please only attack the X-Men, not the person who likes them. Don't want people leaving because they we're insulted.

4. HAVE FUN! This is really something I'd like to see succeed, and the only way it can is if we all just pitch in, have some fun, and keep it going.

So, what are you waiting for? Sign up! And let the voices of NG's Comic fans be heard!

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:17:06

At 3/27/03 10:09 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Hello everyone. Yet another club for your viewing pleasure:

Is this a Breath of Fire Fan Club, or is this a Marvel and DC Comics fan club?

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:32:57

Hey there. I'm pretty much out of the whole comic thing, even if I've been getting back at it lately, to study the art. I think that the american comics books are, graphically speaking- 10 years in advance of the European. These guys still work as one person for the art, and one person for the story. Soemtimes, it's the same. The guy draws, inks and colors is own stuff- but not with a comp, just crappy paint. And their caracters are not as well draw as the American's. And they produce one book per year-year and a half, so that sucks. ONe book = 52 pages harcover, 15-20$. Viva la Americana!

I like Venom a lot. He's cool.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:50:10

[TEN]:001

comic books ha you are no match for iori!!!!

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:51:45

At 3/27/03 10:17 PM, Dragon_Knight_470 wrote:
Is this a Breath of Fire Fan Club, or is this a Marvel and DC Comics fan club?

This is any comics, Marvel, DC, Vetigo, Top Shelf, Image, Crossgen (though if you're reading CrossGen, I may need to put you in for some psychiatric help). Whatever you're reading and into.

Personally I've become a huge fan of the Sandman, if you haven't read that book, do yourself a favor and snag a trade of it (availible in most bookstores) it is a truly fascinating story, get the companion book too if you can, insightful, funny, and provides a description of every sandman book in the series (they're are ten in all), do yourself a favor and check this out. Also, Fables, great twist on all those fairy tale characters we knew as children.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:56:00

At 3/27/03 10:51 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
Also, Fables, great twist on all those fairy tale characters we knew as children.

Oh, a comic book club, that's a sweet idea. I'll visit here before I decide to join or not.Besides, My favs are Wolverine, and Venom

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 22:58:11

At 3/27/03 10:32 PM, poxpower wrote: Hey there. I'm pretty much out of the whole comic thing, even if I've been getting back at it lately, to study the art. I think that the american comics books are, graphically speaking- 10 years in advance of the European. These guys still work as one person for the art, and one person for the story. Soemtimes, it's the same. The guy draws, inks and colors is own stuff- but not with a comp, just crappy paint. And their caracters are not as well draw as the American's. And they produce one book per year-year and a half, so that sucks. ONe book = 52 pages harcover, 15-20$. Viva la Americana!

Yeah, I think what really makes American comics good, is that in the last 20 years or so, company's like DC and Marvel have really managed to lure European creators here to work (Moore and Gaiman being great examples). Talent is being recognized, and the japanese and european forms that work are being imported and blended with the existing styles. Very visually exciting I think, and the stories have improved in quality recently too. Very good time to be a fan of the medium I think.

I like Venom a lot. He's cool.

Marvel is putting out a new Venom ongoing in it's Manga line, it will have the symbiote acting more like what it is: A parasite, an almost vampiric creature which moves from host to host...interesting concept, definately look for that one if you're a Venom fan. I know I'll give it a shot.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-27 23:02:29

At 3/27/03 10:56 PM, Dragon_Knight_470 wrote:
Oh, a comic book club, that's a sweet idea. I'll visit here before I decide to join or not.Besides, My favs are Wolverine, and Venom

Fair enough, I mean, more or less I just want to provide a forum to talk about comics, but I wouldn't mind people actually joining up and promoting our corner of the asylum either :p. Wolverine and Venom both getting new ongoing series (read a preview of Wolverine's new book, pick it up, very good, very subdued work). Venom's book was mentioned previously

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 00:09:24

well...just thought I'd post the reason for the title of this little endeavor now that the posting madness and member lists have been tallied :p.

I lifted this name off of The Sandman for those who didn't already know, The Endless are the race of beings which personify certain aspects of reality (death, destiny, dream, desire, delirium, "The Prodigal", couple others I can't remember right now :p). I figured calling this the "Comics Crew" or some other stupid ass generic childish name wouldn't attract anyone, certainly wouldn't get me to join...so I tried something that would appeal to fans, and just people in general, that also sounded cool...actually, the whole thing just popped into my head in bio today, so all this was the result of a ten minute brain fart :P.

Fuck...shouldn't have revealed the secret origin until somebody actually joined...stupid, stupid, stupid.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 00:47:20

At 3/27/03 10:58 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
Yeah, I think what really makes American comics good, is that in the last 20 years or so, company's like DC and Marvel have really managed to lure European creators here to work (Moore and Gaiman being great examples). Talent is being recognized, and the japanese and european forms that work are being imported and blended with the existing styles. Very visually exciting I think, and the stories have improved in quality recently too. Very good time to be a fan of the medium I think.

Well, I was talking mostly about Belgium and France. They are the ones doing big hardcovers, with a main focus on the storyboard ( BTW, french people = obssessed with their language. The think only of that!)The americans have a great way of dividing the tasks to insure a better product, however, few authors actually "own" the characters, like, the comic will change penciler from time to time. The europeans never do that. They work on their story until it's finished or until they're dead. Then, someone else can take over.

An don't know if I want to buy anymore comics. They cost money up here! Like, 3-5 bucks each, not 2-3 for you guys down there!

My most valued possession is Amazing Spider-Man #300.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 01:14:11

Yes! Everyone is gone! I can finally do whatever I want i your club! HAHAHAHA! I can type IN ALL CAPS IF I WANT! I can insult you! You stoopid fagget! Moda-fooker! HAHAHAHAA! I can pretend I'm the king! ( damn, I'm sleepy)

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 21:53:10

At 3/28/03 12:47 AM, poxpower wrote:
Well, I was talking mostly about Belgium and France. They are the ones doing big hardcovers, with a main focus on the storyboard ( BTW, french people = obssessed with their language. The think only of that!)The americans have a great way of dividing the tasks to insure a better product, however, few authors actually "own" the characters, like, the comic will change penciler from time to time. The europeans never do that. They work on their story until it's finished or until they're dead. Then, someone else can take over.

Yeah, but a lot of Marvel books particularly strive to have artists copy the way John Romita drew the characters, or their original artists...there isn't a lot of variation, but then Romita was just one of those pencilers who really defined any character he drew. But I would argue that it is actually beneficial in some cases to see different artists vision of a character, the Sandman series is a great example, also Batman NML. It's very cool in my mind to pick up a trade, and see the art change every couple issues or so, not that I don't respect a uniform art style on a storyarc or title (I can't get enough of Alex Maleev's Daredevil) but I think that it can really help keep a book fresh if you see different art perspectives every now and again, the artist is integral because they can make or break the script of a book.

An don't know if I want to buy anymore comics. They cost money up here! Like, 3-5 bucks each, not 2-3 for you guys down there!

Yeah, it sucks how Canada inflates EVERYTHING! Me, I never get much bet trades personally, it's a better buy, and you save a lot more money than buying the single issues.

My most valued possession is Amazing Spider-Man #300.

1st Venom, yes, worth a nice chunk of change too.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 21:58:31

now now Pox, let's keep the insanity within the walls of the CCC thread. As far as this club, I like the title, The Endless. Where'd you come up with that? Very original. Thank you for not naming it THE COMIC BOOK CLUB. That would of been sad.

Well I don't have time to keep up with the comic books that are out now. It feels like having to read a 100 page thread to really understand what's going on. I'm sure the stories are so far ahead I'd be lost. So sad, I didn't even know Wolverine lost his adimantium until a year after it happened. I was like bones? Where's the adimantium? I did hear "The Origin" was a good series for Wolverine fans. If only I still had all my comic book drawings. I did this bad ass Angel drawing. Red & white suit, my friend "borrowed" it and apperantly sold it to a comic book shop. It was in High school so I didn't know what to do. I should of slept with his firl or something.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 22:00:27

by firl I mean girl. It's how cool people talk.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 22:28:19

At 3/28/03 09:58 PM, Incredible_Hulk wrote: now now Pox, let's keep the insanity within the walls of the CCC thread. As far as this club, I like the title, The Endless. Where'd you come up with that? Very original. Thank you for not naming it THE COMIC BOOK CLUB. That would of been sad.

Jacked the name from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, as I said in a previous post. Well, least I've got some activity in this thread.

Well I don't have time to keep up with the comic books that are out now. It feels like having to read a 100 page thread to really understand what's going on.

Nah, I mostly read old trades of things anyway, Trades are nice because it makes it real easy to keep up...that's why Marvel and DC have really had to step that program up of late.

I'm sure the stories are so far ahead I'd be lost. So sad, I didn't even know Wolverine lost his adimantium until a year after it happened. I was like bones? Where's the adimantium? I did hear "The Origin" was a good series for Wolverine fans.

I don't know, Marvel is doing a good job with recaps of major events...Marvel has made a concious effort to create more jumping on points in books (which just makes sense with all the movies out of late) I'm sure the Hulk is going to get his book geared up for new readers as the movie comes close to debut.

If only I still had all my comic book drawings. I did this bad ass Angel drawing. Red & white suit, my friend "borrowed" it and apperantly sold it to a comic book shop. It was in High school so I didn't know what to do. I should of slept with his firl or something.

Yes, you should have...rat bastard...well, anyway, just want to remind people that we don't have to strictly talk about books, we can talk about comic movies, video games, if it relates to comics, it's fair game in this thread.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 23:33:16

Anyone ever see that last episode of the Clerks T.V. show? You know, the Matrix parody? Where Morpheus keeps calling Dante about the Matrix and Dante keeps hanging up. And then he finally go's "Wait, don't hang up! We don't have to talk about the Matrix! We can talk about sports, girls that have broken our hearts...the Matrix *click*" starting to feel like that in here...the eerie soul crushing silence...damn I hate this forum...

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 23:41:19

At 3/28/03 11:33 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Anyone ever see that last episode of the Clerks T.V. show? You know, the Matrix parody? Where Morpheus keeps calling Dante about the Matrix and Dante keeps hanging up. And then he finally go's "Wait, don't hang up! We don't have to talk about the Matrix! We can talk about sports, girls that have broken our hearts...the Matrix *click*" starting to feel like that in here...the eerie soul crushing silence...damn I hate this forum...

sorry, I know nothing of comics.....or sports or girls that have broken my heart, j/k There was this girl in Elementary school that broke my heart. I liked her so much and she was really into the Little Mermaid. So on my next trip to the states, I was living in guatemala at the time, I "stole" a Sebastian the crab stuffed animal + a music tape of the songs from Toys R Us. I was like...I don't know 10 maybe. I don't know how the store didn't catch me. I was bad. Anyways a week after I got back and gave it to her she moved away. Damn little tramp!!! I could of been arrested. ! It hurts so bad!!!

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-28 23:45:14

At 3/28/03 11:41 PM, Incredible_Hulk wrote:

:Damn little tramp!!! I could of been arrested. ! It hurts so bad!!!

That little bitch! You should track her down and just be all like "see what you could have had? I stole toys and music for you dammit!" That'd teach her...well, not really...

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-29 00:32:37

I know! I thought about it for a long time, but then realized it was weird to obsess about something like that so I dropped it. But she was really cute back then, she's probably really hot now so I'd get like half of my complaint in before I'd have to start sweet talking. Who knows, after 10 years she might be really eager to pay me back..somehow........... really.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-29 09:01:27

well this topic is pretty cool. i only own two comics: the death of superman and issue #1 of daredevil(worth money??) other than those i've only read a few comic books and that was at a friend's house cuz he has like 100s of comics. but i've watched shows and stuff that are really cool. i like the stories that can be found in comics but i don't like how short they are and i'm too poor to buy a whole series. that's why i read big novels like LOTR and the knight of swords.

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-29 20:57:56

At 3/29/03 09:01 AM, star_cleaver wrote: well this topic is pretty cool. i only own two comics: the death of superman and issue #1 of daredevil(worth money??) other than those i've only read a few comic books and that was at a friend's house cuz he has like 100s of comics. but i've watched shows and stuff that are really cool. i like the stories that can be found in comics but i don't like how short they are and i'm too poor to buy a whole series. that's why i read big novels like LOTR and the knight of swords.

It depends on what DD #1 you have...probably you have the Kevin Smith one (check who the names are on the cover) hmm, let me check what Wizard says that's worth (but I must confess that the Overstreet guide is the bible on pricing)...$30...so valuable book I also have a copy of said book.

Well, as I said, shows work too, if you like at least the stories and characters, this is the club for you, Hulk is working on a logo that I should be posting soon for those who want to advertise and feel special and member like.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-29 21:31:58

At 3/29/03 08:57 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Well, as I said, shows work too, if you like at least the stories and characters, this is the club for you, Hulk is working on a logo that I should be posting soon for those who want to advertise and feel special and member like.

well i like the characters and all the stuff like that but i just never really got in to it. i like reading this one that my friend has its marvel vs. DC. its pretty entertaining and i've read one that is the guide to spider-man with all of the allies and enemies and powers of each. that one is pretty fun to read too. i watch some shows, liek superman and JLA and things like that but nothing really serious. i've also watched a few of the cartoon spawns and i liked those.

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-29 21:37:54

this is about Comics, right?

well if it is, then i would join, cause comics are cool, but i dont read any, its easier to watch the cartoons lol

Response to The Endless 2003-03-30 00:07:05

At 3/29/03 09:37 PM, MagicalMusicalNate wrote: this is about Comics, right?

well if it is, then i would join, cause comics are cool, but i dont read any, its easier to watch the cartoons lol

Wait...something odd about this post...by god! SOMEONE WANTS TO JOIN! Well, yeah we're about comics, but as I said in the first post (is anybody even goddamn reading that?) this is ALSO about movies for comics, and cartoons and T.V. shows, anything that uses comic book characters, or concepts can be discussed here.

Here's something that many people might not know...the Matrix has been accused by Grant Morrison of ripping off concepts from his series The Invisibles...Morrison claims that the idea of a false reality layered over the true one is a concept he created for the invisibles and that Time Warner (producers of the Matric, and owners of DC comics which published The Invisibles) and the Wachowski brothers stole the idea from him...he quit comics over it, but now works for Marvel...you have to love how guys run out and quit comics, and then come back right back, I guess he meant to say he would never work for DC again, couple other guys have done that. Alan Moore springs to mind..and Neil Gaiman is doing something for Marvel after being pissed at them forever...so um, anybody jazzed for that new Spider-Man cartoon from MTV?

and can I put you down as an official member than Nate?

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-30 08:26:11

I like "Ultimate Spiderman", "Judge Dredd", "2000AD" and "The New X-Men"

Can I join?

The Endless

Response to The Endless 2003-03-30 09:23:42

sure, im in. i might not know as much as the rest of you though...

Response to The Endless 2003-03-31 00:41:44

At 3/30/03 08:26 AM, JimReaper wrote: I like "Ultimate Spiderman", "Judge Dredd", "2000AD" and "The New X-Men"

Can I join?

Absolutely, welcome to the group :)

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-31 00:44:45

At 3/30/03 09:23 AM, MagicalMusicalNate wrote: sure, im in. i might not know as much as the rest of you though...

That's okay, like I said, you just have to have an interest in it to join, really, all you have to do is post something, like you could talk about a book, a show, a movie, anything that relates to comics...and you can even ask questions if you want...this is a club for EVERYBODY who likes comics, whether they read books, or just watch movies or cartoons. So don't feel intimidated...sorry about my inactivity today, been working lots of hours lately, I will have a lot more time in the next few days to do updates and post things of interest...until then, feel free to start a discussion.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-31 10:23:44

No one posts? The hell kind of group is this? POST!!!!!!! hehe, just fuckin with yas, um, if anyone wants to get a better handle on some comics characters, head over to moviepoopshoot.com every wednesday, and check out their comics 101 column, very informative.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless 2003-03-31 12:55:51

Here's a Spider-Man 2 note:

Mooviepoopshoot (as reported by variety) is saying that The Amazing Spider-Man's release has been moved from June 4 to July 2, just in time for that fourth of July weekend, and Tobey Maguire will indeed play Peter/Spidey...I like his Peter Parker, but Maguire is too much of a stiff to be a believable spidey in my eyes...probably going to give the movie a chance though, devoted fan that I am...just don't hold out a whole lot of hope.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature