00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Riddle Crew

24,718 Views | 531 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 00:59:01

Welcome to the NG Riddle Crew!

This club was started by Wasson, after he shared a very challenging and entertaining link to a mutli-layered online puzzle which enthralled enough NGers that it became something of a phenomenon. Before you join us, you should read how it all began.

A lot of very clever people worked together to overcome difficult obstacles and achieve an elusive goal. The teamwork and commaraderie that resulted inspired all and left everyone wanting to keep it alive.

So, here we are. A club for those who love a challenge, enjoy puzzles, riddles, and such (as well as the fellowship of working together.)

What does the NG Riddle Crew do?

1. Share puzzles, riddles, cryptograms, visual brain teasers, number games, etc.
2. Solve or help solve those puzzles etc that are posted to the group.
3. Alert the members to cool puzzle and riddle related flash submissions on NG.
4. Share links to good puzzle sites.
5. Talk about puzzles and riddles, and enjoy the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes from solving or helping to solve them.
6. Enjoy the company and converstion of some very clever people (No, I don't mean me.)

Who is in this club?

At this point, the only offices that have been filled are:
Wasson, President (He's the "Godfather" of all this)
Nephthys, Vice President
Back Door Baron, Sgt at Arms

These folks were drafted without their consent based on their participation in the original Evil Puzzle thread.
All other offices will be established and filled by the three aforementioned.

What can't you do?

Aside from the standard NG rules of conduct and restrictions that apply to all the forums...
don't be thin-skinned.
Be respectful of others.
No flaming or similar nitwittery.

The Officers may add or alter these rules as needed.
We are sort of making this up as we go along, until it gets rolling.

Is this club officially recognized?
It's in the works.

So... just to get the ball rolling, I will post the first riddle. It's an oldie, but one of my faves:

The tide in the harbor rises two feet every hour. A ladder hanging over the side of a ship in the harbor has rungs one foot apart. At 4 PM, exactly three rungs of the ladder are below the water level.
How many rungs will be under water at 6 PM?

Enjoy!

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 01:17:04

sounds like a great idea...
that isn't really a riddle though is it? More of a trick question i'd say...

If the ship is in the harbor when as the tide rises... then the ship will rise as well... meaning no change will occur in how many rungs are in the water...

The answer then is 3 rungs

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 01:28:04

At 4/23/05 01:17 AM, AvatarEgo wrote: sounds like a great idea...
that isn't really a riddle though is it? More of a trick question i'd say...

If the ship is in the harbor when as the tide rises... then the ship will rise as well... meaning no change will occur in how many rungs are in the water...

The answer then is 3 rungs

Good job!
You are absolutely correct. And I guess it was a trick question at that.

You made short work of that one. Do you have one you'd like to share as well?

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 01:49:33

Well I will join I am a fan or cryptogaphy and ciphers. I will do my best to help and have fun.

Priest of Anubis and guardian of the NOX.

I'm a heavy drinking, chain smoking, foul mouthed sailor and guess what Im dating your SISTER!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 02:04:27

I love this idea... we should have people post riddles or web puzzles to keep it up.

But atricaudatus, you need to have a position! I vote making Wasson the Godfather, but making you the President since you're so into this. You've really been pushing it, and I think you should be the one in charge. You seem to have a good mind for things like these.

Thanks for making me Sgt. At Arms! I kinda feel like Man-at-Arms from He-Man... he was always pretty cool :p

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 02:19:37

Okay this is sort of a dirty one.. so kids look away :p

There are 2 men and 2 women, all 4 have serious STD's
Each man wants to have sex with both women seperatly..
(eg. Man A with Woman A, Man A with Woman B, Man B with Woman A, Man, B with Woman B)

The 4 of them have a total of only 2 condoms... how can they have the above noted cominations of sex using condoms.. without contracting deseases from eachother.

Sorry if this is to vulgar for some.

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 06:45:58

both men use 1 comdom each for all the women.....

i'll sign up..i like riddles....theres a really good riddle type thing going on in general....i'll go grab the link....

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 06:47:23

At 4/23/05 12:59 AM, atricaudatus wrote: how it all began.

thats the link to the general....i'm struggling to find page 20....what the hell is the answer......

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 06:51:35

got a riddle, a man is born in 1956 and is living happly today at a young age of 16, how?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 07:18:58

I think this is a really good idea, was quite disappointed to come back and find the evil puzzle completed (though I hope that we atleast have a crack at the hidden levels).

At 4/23/05 06:51 AM, StupidityIsAGift wrote: got a riddle, a man is born in 1956 and is living happly today at a young age of 16, how?

He was born on the 29th Feb, therefore only has a birthday every 4 years.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 08:41:41

oh yeah i'll join! the Evil Puzzle thread was really enjoyable and i loved the teamwork :)

At 4/23/05 06:51 AM, StupidityIsAGift wrote: got a riddle, a man is born in 1956 and is living happly today at a young age of 16, how?

...he got born in a hospital room with the number 1956?

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 09:52:01

oops, should probably have thought about that, take it the year isn't 2020 (though i do tend to lose track of time so it might be). animeangel7's answer looks right.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 10:26:18

At 4/23/05 08:41 AM, animeangel7 wrote:

yep....thats the answer......i remember a great riddle site. i think it was called riddle nut ......not sure.....

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 10:55:24

At 4/23/05 10:26 AM, StupidityIsAGift wrote:
At 4/23/05 08:41 AM, animeangel7 wrote:

yep....thats the answer......i remember a great riddle site. i think it was called riddle nut ......not sure.....

yay i got one lol ^^ haha yeah i remember that site, i went through a lot of riddles there, lots of good ones :)

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 11:13:22

At 4/23/05 01:49 AM, TigerDemon wrote: Well I will join I am a fan or cryptogaphy and ciphers. I will do my best to help and have fun.

Welcome aboard. Delighted to have you TD.

At 4/23/05 02:04 AM, Back_Door_Baron wrote: I love this idea... we should have people post riddles or web puzzles to keep it up.

But atricaudatus, you need to have a position! I vote making Wasson the Godfather, but making you the President since you're so into this. You've really been pushing it, and I think you should be the one in charge. You seem to have a good mind for things like these.

Thanks for making me Sgt. At Arms! I kinda feel like Man-at-Arms from He-Man... he was always pretty cool :p

Glad you are here Baron. You were one of the those that consistantly perservered throughout the original ordeal.

I like the idea of dubbing Wasson the "Godfather." I got that idea from you,since you first called him that in the original Evil Puzzle thread, and he acknowledged he liked it.
Where is he anyway? Someone IM him, we need him over here!

As for me, thank you so much for you kind words and vote of confidence; but I don't think I would be the best choice for President. The truth is that my internet time is too sporadic to be able to properly manage the club. I don't mind helping out, and I have sort of been advocating it because it seemed a shame to let the good will and teamwork and outright FUN from the original idea fade away. I wouldn't mind some sort of title that didn't require any real responsibiliies, like "DogCatcher" or "Janitor."

You were a natural choice for SGT at Arms. I can't think of anyone better.

Now we need to get Nephthys and ScrunchMuppet, and Andersson, and all the other puzzleheads over here!

At 4/23/05 02:19 AM, AvatarEgo wrote: The 4 of them have a total of only 2 condoms... how can they have the above noted cominations of sex using condoms.. without contracting deseases from eachother.

OK, let me give this a shot.

Man A places condom 1 on his shclong,, then double-rubbers by placing condom2 over it. Then he has sex with Woman A.
After finishing he removes condom2 and gives it to Man B.
Man B now makes love to Woman A with a clean surface next to his flesh and woman A is only exposed to the same surface from her first boinking.
Meanwhile, Man A is busy laying pipe to Woman B with Condom 1, which exposes her to a clean surface.
Afterward, Man A removes condom 1 and Man B places it over Condom 2 with the surface that was used on Woman B outward, and proceeds to pleasure Woman B.

viola! Everybody gets jiggy wid it, and no one is exposed to anyone else's tainted secretions! (they are all sluts though) ;-) Good brain tease, AE. Glad to have you as part of the Crew.

At 4/23/05 07:18 AM, donthurtme wrote: I think this is a really good idea, was quite disappointed to come back and find the evil puzzle completed (though I hope that we atleast have a crack at the hidden levels).

Welcome to the Crew, donthurtme.

I was thinking the guy was born on another planet, one who's "year" was longer than an Earth year. Looks like AA7 nailed it though.

At 4/23/05 08:41 AM, animeangel7 wrote: oh yeah i'll join! the Evil Puzzle thread was really enjoyable and i loved the teamwork :)

Welcome aa7! Glad you made it over. I am hoping all the familiar faces from the Evil Puzzle decide to drop in and join. And congrats on solving SIAG's riddle. good job!

I'll muddy the waters with yet another riddle of my own:

"I am the shape of whatever is around me. You can't live without me. Too much of me and you die!"

I am.....?

Also, just a quick reminder: Let's not forget that there are still BONUS levels in the orignal Evil Puzzle that remain unsolved, as well as a $75 cash prize to be claimed. So let's start working that as well, team. Of course, I never cared about the money anyway, and to prove it I will make this pledge to the new Club: IF I am the one who solves the final bonus level, I will NOT claim the prize, but will post the solution HERE in this thread for whichever member gets there first to claim. (Not a chance in hades of me solving it anyway.)

inphlict gave us some subtle hints about the bonus levels. Maybe this will help:

At 4/22/05 01:48 PM, inphlict wrote: 18 has nothing to do with any other levels...Hidden numbers and letters are for something else :F

I think we may need to extract the hidden numbers and letters from the images at each level of the puzzle and use them in some way to unlock the bonus levels.

Thanks to all. Let's have fun.

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 11:44:11

I join, I would like to be 'God' seen as I completed level 18 (the original final level!) of the Evil Puzzle first, only kidding and we al helped each other.

I join!

I think we should focus on the bonus levels first of all, and as inphlicts provoked clue (provoked by me lawl) about the number & letters indicates, I will look for some more hidden letters.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 11:47:06

"I am the shape of whatever is around me. You can't live without me. Too much of me and you die!"

I am.....?

You, are water.

Easy!

How about:

"I am whatever you want me to be, you can control my state yet sometimes I will work against you and impose fear upon you. I arrive at night and depart in the morning, what am i?"

By me :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 11:59:04

At 4/23/05 11:44 AM, DEADSiM2 wrote: I join, I would like to be 'God' seen as I completed level 18 (the original final level!) of the Evil Puzzle first, only kidding and we al helped each other.

I join!

Welcome to the Crew! Not so sure about the "god" title. ;-P but happy to have you here.

I think we should focus on the bonus levels first of all, and as inphlicts provoked clue (provoked by me lawl) about the number & letters indicates, I will look for some more hidden letters.

Agreed. Glad your on the case. good luck!

At 4/23/05 11:47 AM, DEADSiM2 wrote:

:: : I am.....?

You, are water.

Easy!

Correct! And yeah, it was kind of a gimme.

"I am whatever you want me to be, you can control my state yet sometimes I will work against you and impose fear upon you. I arrive at night and depart in the morning, what am i?"

I am guessing... 'Dreams."

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 12:19:01

take a number, double it, add 10, divide by two, thensubtract the original number. the number you end up with, is alway 5.

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 12:20:56

how about this one.

i follow a set path, though sometimes i break it little by little. i am a source of an important substance, though many people die when inside me.

what am i?

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 12:23:06

At 4/23/05 12:19 PM, BigLundi wrote: take a number double it, add 10, divide by two, thensubtract the original number. the number you end up with, is alway 5.

17x2=34

34+10=44

44/2=22

22-17=5

At 4/23/05 11:59 AM, atricaudatus wrote: Welcome to the Crew! Not so sure about the "god" title. ;-P but happy to have you here.

Ok, i'll just be a regular member :( lol

Agreed. Glad your on the case. good luck!

thanks, i'll need it!

Phew, wasn't sure anyone would get that. Great guess, it was in fact a dream!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 12:25:29

A riddle crew?

sweet. count me in :-)

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 12:34:04

At 4/23/05 12:23 PM, DEADSiM2 wrote:
At 4/23/05 12:19 PM, BigLundi wrote: take a number double it, add 10, divide by two, thensubtract the original number. the number you end up with, is alway 5.
17x2=34

34+10=44

44/2=22

22-17=5

it even works with big numbers.

100x2=200

200+10=210

210/2=105

105-100=5

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 13:38:58

ha, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

ok, i have a riddle too, it's not mine, but i like it ^^
'what falls but doesn't break, what breaks but doesn't fall?'

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 13:44:05

I tried (To absolutely no avail) to help with the evil puzzle, and enjoyed that much. I like riddles to :) I'm in.

./link in my sig

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 15:04:26

Wasn't there one already ,I precisely remember there being one and I being a member of it ,but I can't find it ?!?

Ohwewll I suppose,could I join this club

and AnimeAngel17 your riddle seems to me too horifficly vague ,but my guess is a rubber ball you can drop it and it will bounce but if you freaze it it will expand and break

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 15:17:15

just made this up now. "what can you fall into but can not break, unless you only take." have fun....

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 15:39:12

At 4/23/05 01:38 PM, animeangel7 wrote:

:: 'what falls but doesn't break, what breaks but doesn't fall?'

I think the answer is night and day, like that one :)

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 15:49:17

and AnimeAngel17 your riddle seems to me too horifficly vague ,but my guess is a rubber ball you can drop it and it will bounce but if you freaze it it will expand and break

i'm sorry, but like i said it's not mine, i read it somewhere else and that's how it was written ^^' and your answer isn't right, you shouldn't be thinking to materialistic for this one ^^ an interesting guess though :)

you are correct my good man ^^

Response to NG Riddle Crew 2005-04-23 16:28:26

Well I just got back from the HD shop; I can't seem to get out of that place without dropping a load of cash (spent over a grand this time.) But I picked up some more chrome and ordered new saddlebags for my bike. Sweet! I add a crash bar and outrider pegs on thursday. Looks like I got back just in time, since it started pouring down rain a few minutes ago.

At 4/23/05 12:19 PM, BigLundi wrote: take a number, double it, add 10, divide by two, thensubtract the original number. the number you end up with, is alway 5.

Very cool BL!

At 4/23/05 12:23 PM, DEADSiM2 wrote:
At 4/23/05 11:59 AM, atricaudatus wrote: Welcome to the Crew! Not so sure about the "god" title. ;-P but happy to have you here.
Ok, i'll just be a regular member :( lol

I do think you deserve some recognition for being the first one to post he answer to level 18. That was good work.

At 4/23/05 12:25 PM, -Manic- wrote: A riddle crew?

sweet. count me in :-)

You're in! Welcome and have fun.

At 4/23/05 01:44 PM, Supreme_Evil wrote: I tried (To absolutely no avail) to help with the evil puzzle, and enjoyed that much. I like riddles to :) I'm in.

./link in my sig

Great to see you here SE, welcome! And thanks for the link. =)

At 4/23/05 03:04 PM, KefkaTheThird wrote: Wasn't there one already ,I precisely remember there being one and I being a member of it ,but I can't find it ?!?

Ohwewll I suppose,could I join this club

There might have been another once, i dunno; but you are certainly welcome here. Thanks for joining up. Have fun. (and see if you can help DeadSim2 figure out how to get to those BOUNS LEVELS.) We need all the help we can get. I'm stuck.

At 4/23/05 03:49 PM, animeangel7 wrote:

::

you are correct my good man ^^

Good job, donthurtme!

aa7, I thought of another answer that works with your riddle.

Rain and waves.
Rain falls and doesn't break, waves break but don't fall.
=)

Ok folks, I have to get going, but thanks to all, and please pitch in and welcome the new arrivals. The club is just getting off the ground and we need to make folks feel at home.

You all are the best.
good luck!