00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Journey of Sixty Seconds!

2,954 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-21 18:59:13

NaNoWriMo, is an event that goes on every November. People set aside time every day to type out roughly 1666 words for a novel, and by the end of the month, if they follow the plan, they reach 50,000 words and have made an entire novel!

So I thought, why not apply that to animation?

Next month, on December 1st, I'm going to open a new flash document and start a 60 second animation. I figured that if I complete 2 seconds of animation every day, by the end of the month it should be complete! I hope you guys will join in and we can make an event of it! I'll even make a preloader. :D

The rules are simple, just complete 2 seconds every day (and don't you dare think about editing them later, perfectionists!). Any other goals you want to accomplish (like working FBF, or making a coherent story, adding backgrounds/color/cleanup) are your own to set. On December 31, we'll all post our monsters on the portal and end the ear with a bang! Remember that new year's resolution you set, where you said you were going to finally finish an animation? Yeah, IT CAN BE DONE!!

I'm treating this as an opportunity to break the ice for myself. I have a huge folder of animation that I haven't completed, and I see this as a way to end that.

I'm posting this now to get the word out. If you want to join, don't start until December 1st! :3

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-21 19:11:37

At 11/21/08 06:59 PM, Kajenx wrote: (and don't you dare think about editing them later, perfectionists!)

Curses! :(
Hehe, I'll give this a try. Sounds like it'll be fun (:

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-21 22:28:49

I'll try it, don't expect too much though.

sig'd

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-21 23:11:59

wow this really sounds like something fun ! so am I allowed to draw up a basic storyboard on my pad or does it all have to be improvised upon the first two seconds?

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 01:00:42

At 11/21/08 11:11 PM, dreaming-loudly wrote: wow this really sounds like something fun ! so am I allowed to draw up a basic storyboard on my pad or does it all have to be improvised upon the first two seconds?

You can plan stuff out, but the goal is to get all of the creative work done in 30 days. It's really up to you, though, as this is more of a personal thing. I'm not going to do any planning so I don't feel too attached to what I'm making, that way if it isn't great it won't be a big deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 01:56:24

At 11/22/08 01:00 AM, Kajenx wrote:
At 11/21/08 11:11 PM, dreaming-loudly wrote: wow this really sounds like something fun ! so am I allowed to draw up a basic storyboard on my pad or does it all have to be improvised upon the first two seconds?
You can plan stuff out, but the goal is to get all of the creative work done in 30 days. It's really up to you, though, as this is more of a personal thing. I'm not going to do any planning so I don't feel too attached to what I'm making, that way if it isn't great it won't be a big deal.

sound reasoning. tHough I figured it's like one of those speed animation type of things where you apply yourslef to making a flash in a set ammount of time. Either way I'll be sure to give this a shot

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 02:58:02

I just might do this. Not exactly sure what I'll make, but I do want to have at least one more flash submitted before the end of the year.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 03:14:22

So you're able to animate 2 seconds decently with working just one minute? I doubt tat I could animate 58 frames in such a short timespan. Or even draw a good background for that matter.

"What kind of idiot would quote himself" - Gatling

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 04:43:38

At 11/22/08 03:14 AM, Gatling wrote: So you're able to animate 2 seconds decently with working just one minute? I doubt tat I could animate 58 frames in such a short timespan. Or even draw a good background for that matter.

Haha, no, you create 2 seconds of animation every day for 30 days, and on December 31st you'll have a completed 60 second animation. :3

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 04:46:08

That sounds like a really good idea, I'd never be able to keep it up though. With school and homework and all the other crap that gets in the way of freetime.

Are you suggesting this as a collab type thing? Or like just a cool idea?!

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 04:58:35

At 11/22/08 04:46 AM, sickstick wrote: Are you suggesting this as a collab type thing? Or like just a cool idea?!

No, everyone makes their own movie. If a bunch of people do it, though, I'll make a preloader we can all use! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 05:21:06

Oh, I see.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 07:43:19

At 11/22/08 04:43 AM, Kajenx wrote:
Haha, no, you create 2 seconds of animation every day for 30 days, and on December 31st you'll have a completed 60 second animation. :3

Oh okay. That makes sense.

"What kind of idiot would quote himself" - Gatling

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 08:33:06

I think if something becomes of this, the month should be another month of the year. Why? Because December is just a busy month. I'm not even going to be home enough to do this. But I love this idea so I may just do this during a month I have time.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 11:38:42

At 11/22/08 08:33 AM, Jaex wrote: I think if something becomes of this, the month should be another month of the year. Why? Because December is just a busy month. I'm not even going to be home enough to do this. But I love this idea so I may just do this during a month I have time.

Bah, people have winter break in December.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 15:46:32

At 11/22/08 11:38 AM, Kajenx wrote: Bah, people have winter break in December.

Yeah, that's mainly the reason I want to do this. I'll have much more free time near the end of December.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 19:43:26

At 11/22/08 11:38 AM, Kajenx wrote:
At 11/22/08 08:33 AM, Jaex wrote: I think if something becomes of this, the month should be another month of the year. Why? Because December is just a busy month. I'm not even going to be home enough to do this. But I love this idea so I may just do this during a month I have time.

Winter break is only for a week and a half, sometimes less/more. Most people will be dealing with midterms from school and/or working longer hours to afford holiday gifts during the rest of the month. I just think there are better months than December for this. If it stays in December, fine.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 20:51:38

At 11/22/08 07:43 PM, Jaex wrote:
At 11/22/08 11:38 AM, Kajenx wrote:
Winter break is only for a week and a half, sometimes less/more. Most people will be dealing with midterms from school and/or working longer hours to afford holiday gifts during the rest of the month. I just think there are better months than December for this. If it stays in December, fine.

The whole purpose is to end 2008 off with a bang, by having a flood of good quality 60 second flashes be submitted to the portal. Stop complaining.

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-22 21:21:44

EVENTAGE!!! FUCK YEAH

i feel like making one this year!

this will be the best flash submission boom ever to hit the portal!!!! (I will make my own preloader based off the basic idea of the event!)

HI HOW ARE YOU?

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-23 05:10:10

At 11/22/08 09:21 PM, dante224 wrote: EVENTAGE!!! FUCK YEAH

i feel like making one this year!

this will be the best flash submission boom ever to hit the portal!!!! (I will make my own preloader based off the basic idea of the event!)

Yeah it should be really cool! I'm excited now, seems like people are into it! It's definitely motivation to do something good! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-23 21:08:06

Badda bump :3

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-23 22:44:40

I may do it, but I dont always have time to work on an animtion every day. lol.
Will it be an event with a preeloader and everything.

I... am... god!!!!!! No, not really.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-23 23:01:50

I'm down and i think we should all send in all our flashes during the same hour of the day

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-24 03:06:46

I'm in! This looks like a good I'll do a part and I am also helping to do some scripting? Can I? Just for small help?

JAYE 19 | Flash | Advertise Here |

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-24 17:20:40

At 11/24/08 03:06 AM, Jaye19 wrote: I'm in! This looks like a good I'll do a part and I am also helping to do some scripting? Can I? Just for small help?

Everyone is doing their own flash, it isn't a collab. It might be fun to combine a bunch of them together, but the file size would probably just get huge.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-25 00:52:53

At 11/24/08 05:20 PM, Kajenx wrote:
At 11/24/08 03:06 AM, Jaye19 wrote: I'm in! This looks like a good I'll do a part and I am also helping to do some scripting? Can I? Just for small help?
Everyone is doing their own flash, it isn't a collab. It might be fun to combine a bunch of them together, but the file size would probably just get huge.

Mann, I thought it was actually I have never thought of this for a collab it is good for it I just hope someone will make a collab something like this........... damn =((

JAYE 19 | Flash | Advertise Here |

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-25 22:14:39

At 11/25/08 12:52 AM, Jaye19 wrote: Mann, I thought it was actually I have never thought of this for a collab it is good for it I just hope someone will make a collab something like this........... damn =((

You can still collab with others if you want.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-28 19:03:38

At 11/28/08 07:00 PM, speeling wrote: Oh, I'm in this! This is sounding good. Wouldn't it be better if we collabed it all toegether?

Well, I'd be worried about the file size. Also, this is supposed to help people make an animation that they can say they completed and made on their own If it's a collab they don't get to do that.

BBS Signature

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-28 22:30:33

I'm so doing this...
But I'm gonna follow what you said and do all the creative stuff starting december 1st...
Should we put something in our title when we finally submit to show that it's for the challenge...

Response to Journey of Sixty Seconds! 2008-11-29 00:04:41

At 11/28/08 10:30 PM, K0Nx wrote: I'm so doing this...
But I'm gonna follow what you said and do all the creative stuff starting december 1st...
Should we put something in our title when we finally submit to show that it's for the challenge...

I'll make a preloader that people can use (or someone else can, if they're feeling creative).

BBS Signature