00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Genetic Modification.

3,628 Views | 30 Replies

Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:22:54

Genetic Modification.

Before we start, this is going to be one LONG post, and there will be no TL:DR warning, so if you don't care, then don't read and don't post.

I think this is a very important thing so I'll provide some information about this.

So what is Genetic Modification?

Every organism has a 'coding' called DNA, biologists are able to 'read' this coding.
There's a different coding in every organism, but the coding of separate species look a lot like each other.
Biologists are able to 'change' organisms by changing the DNA of them.
They first isolate the gene they need, modify it if needed, and then they put it in the cell they want and combine the original genes with the new gene.
This is only possible when an organism is just 1 cell, like bacteria, zygotes or even White blood cells.
For example, if I change one cell of my body now then I won't grow another toe, my body will probably just ignore that cell or destroy it.

So what can we do with it?

- Gene Therapy.

Imagine a family where every man is diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 40.
Since every man in that family has it, it's most likely caused by a gene.
With Gene Therapy, we can remove, modify or replace this gene of a zygote.
So therefore the next man in that family won't get prostate cancer, and probably will have a better life.

If someone got a disease that makes someone lack a healthy immune system, then it's possible to take some white blood cells out of that person's body, let it grow in a lab and put the missing genes into it. Then put it back in the body and the person's immune system will increase with 40%. The white blood cells will die in 4 months so the process haves to be repeated after that, but it's kind of like a cure for this disease.

We can do amazing things with this, but there aren't much people who can afford this kind of cures (It costs like $15.000 to look if a zygote got any genetic diseases).

-Genetic Selection.

Like I said, biologists are able to read DNA.
So it's possible to take some sperm cells and some egg cells and put them together, form a zygote and then you can see what kind of person the zygote is going to be.
We can see a lot about a person, if this person haves any genetic diseases, hair eye and skin colour, how tall this person can become, etc, etc..

Seeing what genetic diseases the 'kid' is going to have is the most important part, since the parents can decide whether it's going to be placed back in the uterus or not.
So they decide if the zygote lives or not.

There's a bad side about this though, since if parents want a kid with blond hair and the zygote got the genes for black, then they can decide that the zygote won't be placed back because it haves black hair.
But every living being deserves to live, right?
There's a discussion about what can be considered life, is a zygote living or not?
There's also a discussion going on about how far you can go by selecting, blond hair isn't really necessary to have a good life.

- Cloning

You can clone animals or humans by taking a female egg cell , take the DNA out of it, and then put a stem cell in it.
Stem cells are cells that can still become any other cell, so therefore the stem cell will grow to an egg cell, having the same DNA as the mother.
The egg cell with the same DNA as the mother is then putted back in the uterus and will grow to a clone of the mother.
We've already cloned a lot of animals, like sheep and rats.
People claim that we've already cloned humans, but there isn't any evidence that we've ever cloned a human being.
The con about clones is that clones have a shorter life and have more chance of getting diseases.

Cloning can't really help people now, since there's still a lot of research to be done about this aspect.
But the final goal of this is that they want to clone certain organs of a person, like when my liver is having serious injuries then they can take some cells of me, clone a liver and replace my 'old' one by a 'new' one.

- Changing plants and animals.

Food also can be changed by genetic modification.
We can modify plants to make them resistant against certain bugs, and rotting.
Potatoes can be made bigger by selecting the certain genes that makes them big.
New species can be created by genetic modification, like new apple species.
They're now trying to combine an apple that hardly rots and an apple that's resistant against certain bugs.

They modified rice specie, now the rice contains more Carotene.
Many people in third world countries became blind because they didn't eat food with Carotene.
So because of this genetically modified rice, a lot of people were helped.

The only problem with this is that you're 'playing' with nature.
You'll never know what happens if the new species reproduce themselves, you might get really strange plants that will ruin the harvest.
Examples of genetically modified plants: soybean, corn, canola, and cotton seed oil.

Animals can be modified as well.
We already do this with salmon.
The AquAdvantage-salmon is made by a gene of an eel and the growth hormone of a certain Salmon.
This makes the salmon grow twice as fast as the normal salmon, but the end size of the salmon will remain the same.
This salmon also keeps growing in low temperatures, something that the normal salmons can't.
So the modified salmons can be bred twice a year and the normal ones just once.
The modified salmons also need 30% less food to grow.
All this stuff is helping the salmon herders.

There's also this bull called 'Herman' which has some human genes.
The bull reproduced, and the calves got human genes too.
Cows with this human gene create milk with the protein lactoferrin.
This protein is in mother milk, babies need this protein to develop their bodies.
So cow milk could be used as mother's milk because the cow milk contains this important rotein.
Sounds like a great plan to help baby orphans in Africa, right?
Most people didn't think so, because this was 'against certain rules'.
So they castrated the bull after it reproduced a few times, and they killed his calves.

But animals can be 'tortured' by genetic modification, there's a bad side on this too.
They've modified bulls so they can grow extremely much muscles in a very short time, making these animals look very unnatural.
The bulls can barely stand on their legs and look horrible, but the meat production has increased a lot.
They do the same with chickens, most chicken that you eat have a lifetime of 7 weeks, since they grow a lot of muscles really fast.

So basically they're 'improving' the animals for the human kind.
Still, the animals are living beings too, so is it right to modify them?

I know that America is against most of this kind of stuff, since Bush is a Christian and they think that you can't mess with DNA because god created us this way and that's why we aren't allowed to change it ( or something like that, I'm not Christian myself).
This probably won't be allowed for 4 more years, since Obama and McCain are both Christians too.

I hope that this was educational for you!

I know plenty more about this, I just tried to write down the most important parts.
I'll give my opinion about this later, since I first want to inform you people and then I'll debate about this.

Discuss

Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything..

Brawl FC: 0903 - 4175 - 3638

Newgrounds Photoshop Headquarters because I love Photoshop =3

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:32:39

Interesting AND educational! You just saved me a wasted hour of a Biology lesson!

PSN ID + Xbox Live GT : ShadowWestNG | Steam : ShadowWest | Sig made by: ParadoxVoid <3

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:35:17

At 9/11/08 01:34 PM, Haynesyb0y wrote: Have you seen that fat pig they made using Genetic modification? It has fat hanging over it's eyes and can't support it's own weight.

Also, a human ear on a rat.

or on south park, a penis on a rat's head

PSN ID + Xbox Live GT : ShadowWestNG | Steam : ShadowWest | Sig made by: ParadoxVoid <3

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:48:49

At 9/11/08 01:33 PM, DgsGaming wrote: What do you want us to discuss? It's not like you've made any arguments. You simply wanted to show off your knowledge, which quite frankly, I don't care for.

And here comes the second part of my post because I run out of space to give both information and my opinion:

- Gene Therapy.

I think that this should be allowed since diseases can be cured with this.
I don't believe in God so I think that you can modify people if you want, it's not like we're making them worse.
This is expensive, but if alot of people want to do it then it will become cheaper.

- Genetic Selection.

I believe in survival of the fittest, that's why I think that zygotes could be selected by genetic diseases.
I think that a zygote isn't a living being yet, so therefore it can be destroyed.
But I'm against the selecting of people by tallness, haircolour, etcetera.

- Cloning

I'm completely against cloning in this stage, since they can't do anything usefull with it yet.
Clones are 'weaker' then the original persons, so therefore it's useless.
But if we're able to clone certain organs, then I think that it should be allowed.
You're helping people with it, so why not?

- Changing plants and animals.

Changing plants:

I don't see any cons here, the plants get better, we get more food, everybody happy right?
It shouldn't be forbidden because you 'mess with nature'
And besides, plants are way different then animals and humans.

Chaning animals.

This is a hard one, since bulls, chickens and other animals with alot of growth hormones have terrible lives.
I kind of feel sorry for them, but it helps the herders.
I think this should be allowed, but with limits.

I also have to note that all this stuff is against the rules of the Christians, they mostly demonstrate against this and therefore they slow down the research.
C'mon guys, this is something beautiful and you're going to stop it because god told you?

pff...

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:52:04

At 9/11/08 01:34 PM, Haynesyb0y wrote: Have you seen that fat pig they made using Genetic modification? It has fat hanging over it's eyes and can't support it's own weight.

I haven't seen that, but the bulls I've seen pictures of looked horrible too.
That's the bad side of genetic modification, the animals may look horrible.

At 9/11/08 01:35 PM, ShadowWest wrote:

or on south park, a penis on a rat's head

That was an experiment where they thought that it would never gonna work out, but it did and they were suprised.
They didn't really ment to put an human ear on a rat's back.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:56:06

At 9/11/08 01:51 PM, ShadowWest wrote:
At 9/11/08 01:48 PM, Nikenick wrote: C'mon guys, this is something beautiful and you're going to stop it because god told you?

pff...
I CAN'T CLONE MY PINGAS BECUZ MY MUMMY IS A CHWISTIAN AND SHE TOLD ME NOT 2

Exactly! It sounds pretty stupid...

At 9/11/08 01:51 PM, Nikedick wrote: DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS.

Who the fuck are you?

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 13:58:39

At 9/11/08 01:57 PM, ShadowWest wrote:
At 9/11/08 01:56 PM, Nikenick wrote:
At 9/11/08 01:51 PM, Nikedick wrote: DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS.
Who the fuck are you?
Attn: Mods and Idiots:

I can confirm that Nikedick is NOT Nikenick's alt.

Azutom made it! :X

I'm just a cockless version of Nikenick.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 14:26:24

If you cloned vegetables (or a plant that produces them) then surely they won't have the nutritional value that the original has? I agree with you on everything else, but this is just bugging me.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 14:50:19

At 9/11/08 02:26 PM, ShadowWest wrote: If you cloned vegetables (or a plant that produces them) then surely they won't have the nutritional value that the original has? I agree with you on everything else, but this is just bugging me.

It's not like we remove some nutritional values of a vegetable, we just add something.
The nutritional value in a vegetable will stay the same or it will become even better.
Biologist want to make plants better, not worse so you have nothing to be worried about.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 14:52:35

When I heard about that, I was confused about the profit of that experiment.

Ambidexterity.

Thomas the Tank engine. Aww yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 14:56:01

At 9/11/08 02:52 PM, Ambidexterity wrote:
When I heard about that, I was confused about the profit of that experiment.

There was none, read my response above.
It was just an experiment..

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:01:39

Discuss what?You just told me a bunch of crap i already know about,there's nothing to argue about.

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:03:24

At 9/11/08 03:01 PM, Xgsniper wrote: Discuss what?You just told me a bunch of crap i already know about,there's nothing to argue about.

You're meant to give your thoughts on these things.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:05:15

At 9/11/08 03:01 PM, Xgsniper wrote: Discuss what?You just told me a bunch of crap i already know about,there's nothing to argue about.

Ugh... did you even read the whole thread?
If you already know everything I've told you there, why won't you tell me your opinion.
I first gave information about a subject and then I gave my own opinion about it.
I could just have said: " OMG genetic modification is good because: *insert only pros here*" but I thought that everyone needs to know the pros and cons to form a proper opinion about this

Please don't make crappy +1 posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:37:32

Uh, what's to discuss here? Like, what am I supposed to say to something like this? You obviously know a lot about genetic modification, but then what...? I need something to argue with you about, or agree with you about. You didn't really give either of them. It's like me coming out and saying "5 + 6 = 11". Like, okay...? But now what? It's like, you're just stating facts. And I want opinions so I can argue against them. I'm confused on what to do now.

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:39:53

At 9/11/08 03:37 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote: Uh, what's to discuss here? Like, what am I supposed to say to something like this? You obviously know a lot about genetic modification, but then what...? I need something to argue with you about, or agree with you about. You didn't really give either of them. It's like me coming out and saying "5 + 6 = 11". Like, okay...? But now what? It's like, you're just stating facts. And I want opinions so I can argue against them. I'm confused on what to do now.

Gosh...

I already gave my opinion in a later post, now you do the same so I can argue with you about that..

God damn it..

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:41:10

At 9/11/08 03:37 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote: Uh, what's to discuss here? Like, what am I supposed to say to something like this? You obviously know a lot about genetic modification, but then what...? I need something to argue with you about, or agree with you about. You didn't really give either of them. It's like me coming out and saying "5 + 6 = 11". Like, okay...? But now what? It's like, you're just stating facts. And I want opinions so I can argue against them. I'm confused on what to do now.

Bleh, disregard my last post. I more skimmed through it. I didn't really see your opinions until later. My apologies. I think genetic modification has it's ups and downs, but it can really be beneficial. Except, the outcome looks like some sort of mutant.

Again, my apologies. :\

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:46:49

At 9/11/08 03:41 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
Bleh, disregard my last post. I more skimmed through it. I didn't really see your opinions until later. My apologies. I think genetic modification has it's ups and downs, but it can really be beneficial. Except, the outcome looks like some sort of mutant.

Again, my apologies. :\

Alright then, doesn't matters!

The outcome doesn't always has to look like some sort of mutant, that's just a myth created by the movies that fuse lizards with humans or something and make them look like these creapy creatures.

Here's an example of a geneticly modified plant, doesn't looks like some sort of mutant, does it?

Genetic Modification.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:47:49

I heard that the colours of certain vegetables used to be different, such as carrots. True or not?

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 15:59:24

At 9/11/08 03:47 PM, RockinPunk wrote: I heard that the colours of certain vegetables used to be different, such as carrots. True or not?

Carrots are originaly orange, but selective breeding can change the colour of a carrot.
Yet another form of Genetic Modification.

Picture below related.

Genetic Modification.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 16:03:13

I think that Man has no right to alter other beings, we already fucked up the enviornment, now the big wigs are like, well, we fucked that up, now lets fuck up the actual beings who live on this rock!

just keep fuckin one thing up after another. its gettin pretty sad now.

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 16:18:24

At 9/11/08 04:03 PM, CherinoGears wrote: I think that Man has no right to alter other beings, we already fucked up the enviornment, now the big wigs are like, well, we fucked that up, now lets fuck up the actual beings who live on this rock!

just keep fuckin one thing up after another. its gettin pretty sad now.

And why do you think the human kind has no right to alter other beings?
You should give better points.
I personally think that we can modify plants and animals if we want, we're the ones who have evolved better, we're better then them so therefore we can modify them.

And why can't people modify people? We're modifying ourselves so I don't see the problem there.

We're actually improving earth by doing this, not making it worse.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 17:09:46

Gm Food is perfectly safe

Genetic Modification.

Oh Mah Gawd !

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-11 17:29:16

At 9/11/08 05:12 PM, ParadoxSaint wrote: Did you seriously just copy and paste your biology report on the bbs?

I make my biology homework in Dutch, so no.
I was just bored and I typed this in 4 hours, did some research as well but the biggest problem was the 'language problem'.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-14 20:30:18

you're absolutely right , why the cientists try to play god ? maybe they dont think about the consecuences

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-14 20:33:04

And this is how Metal Gear Solid happens.

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-14 20:51:42

At 9/14/08 08:45 PM, Tramps wrote: Personally, I think babies should be left alone to grow as they're made, except every foetus that is implanted rather than being conceived, they should be first checked for diseases. Changing things in the baby is like making life unfairer than it already is. It's basically cheating.

It would be just like Gattaca!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-14 20:55:05

At 9/11/08 01:48 PM, Nikenick wrote: I also have to note that all this stuff is against the rules of the Christians, they mostly demonstrate against this and therefore they slow down the research.
C'mon guys, this is something beautiful and you're going to stop it because god told you?

pff...

God didn't say shit, the belief of God is primitive just like the belief of a messiah. Even Einstiein said the bible was childish.

I don't know why I'm still here

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-15 14:48:14

At 9/14/08 08:55 PM, Onizero wrote: At 9/14/08 08:45 PM, Tramps wrote: Well, as interesting as it was, and even though I already knew all this information from a year 10 science lesson, there's not much to discuss.

It's biology, not science. I have it for 6 years now.
There's alot to discuss about wether this is allowed or not.
Gouverments around the world slow the research down by limiting it, which I think is a bad thing.

If we get on to pressing matters, we could argue about how genetic engineering is against the law in some cases and if it should remain that way or we should change the law.

I'll find some information about that, I heard that Finland allows almost everything.

Personally, I think babies should be left alone to grow as they're made, except every foetus that is implanted rather than being conceived, they should be first checked for diseases. Changing things in the baby is like making life unfairer than it already is. It's basically cheating.

Well you don't really make life unfair, you just improve it.
This may sound harsh but how can a mentally handicapped person do something for the community?
It would be way better if you can prevent these kind of diseases and make the human race better.

At 9/11/08 01:48 PM, Nikenick wrote: I also have to note that all this stuff is against the rules of the Christians, they mostly demonstrate against this and therefore they slow down the research.

pff...
God didn't say shit, the belief of God is primitive just like the belief of a messiah. Even Einstiein said the bible was childish.

OMG that's awesome, one of the greatest scientists ever thinks exactly the same as I do.

BBS Signature

Response to Genetic Modification. 2008-09-15 16:01:47

I learnt this in biology 2 years ago. Wooptywooh i dont really care either way. No ones gonna destroy humanity, only make it better.

I fucking hate euphemism.

BBS Signature