00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Itspanzinobro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Level Icon Maker

2,501 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:05:01

I made a few custom level icons, which generated a fair bit of interest, and it got me thinking about the plausibility of making a level-icon creator. I've put together a Flash project that allows you to place, rotate, re-size, and swap depths of any number of pieces of vector-artwork selected within the project. Now that I have those basic user-interface things in place, I need loads more art-work and content, and as I got started on that, I thought of the Flash forum, and wondered what the level of interest would be from some Flash users in drawing up some content to go into it. I'd, of course, credit everyone with their work. In fact... I have mouse-overs working for each piece of art-work that appears in the right-hand panel (see image below) and could easily add the name/NG screen-name of the person who drew it. It would be sort of like a collab, I suppose, with the participants contributing art-work that would be used by others to goof around in creating custom level-icon graphics.

Below the shot of the GUI are some icons I threw together using the meager selection I have in there now:

Ng Level Icon Maker

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:06:01

That would be pretty awesome!

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:10:56

Aren't they all going to be the same though? Really, you have a choice of background and then a choice of which image.

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:11:52

At 7/21/08 05:10 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Aren't they all going to be the same though? Really, you have a choice of background and then a choice of which image.

Actually, I think you might be able to have more than one image. Besides, it'd still be pretty sweet.

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:15:54

that would make a sick game for newgrounds! plz make!

PSN name: madnesscombatguy

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:16:52

At 7/21/08 05:10 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Aren't they all going to be the same though? Really, you have a choice of background and then a choice of which image.

Actually, it can get pretty diversified... you can resize and move any piece. I also put in the ability to "draw" with certain items... like chain, rope, electrical zappage, flames, vines, etc. And almost all of the items will have multiple styles... like the clown head for example... the base is the colored one seen in the GUI, and the little gold arrows in the control panel let you switch it to gold (as seen in the example icon) and then to silver. You'll also switch to versions of the item with blood on it... like the shards of glass. So... not only will there be a ton of options, even the options will have options. And the "paint with" stuff is a whole other can of worms...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:18:31

At 7/21/08 05:15 PM, Dcombat wrote: that would make a sick game for newgrounds! plz make!

Like I said... I am already making it... I just need to add a ton more graphical content... and if there were some Flash-using souls who would like to have their work show-cased within it, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:19:25

looks good, but maybes have individual parts, not just a load of peer made icons. Also, you could make it look more NG ish.

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:21:18

At 7/21/08 05:19 PM, andy70707 wrote: looks good, but maybes have individual parts, not just a load of peer made icons. Also, you could make it look more NG ish.

No... that's just it... I need more individual parts... the interface lets you USE the individual parts to make whatever you want...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:35:19

that would be a pretty sweet game

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 17:56:55

When will you be submitting yor game?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 18:28:00

At 7/21/08 05:56 PM, Saint-Jesus wrote: When will you be submitting yor game?

It all depends on when I get to the level of content I want to stick in there. Currently I have one full page of the "heads" or toppers, like blades, spear-tips, mace-tops, etc. Half a page of miscellaneous... like skeletal hands, glass shards, jewels, etc. Only 2 of the "paint" options completed. And only 2 "base" options, which are things like staffs, rods, handles, hilts,etc.

I have also built into it the ability to have front and back pieces of an item that move together in tandem... so that I coulddo things like make a fist that can actually look like its "holding" something, because part of the fist appears in front and part behind other items.

Anybody know of a simple, quick site where I can easily host the file so you guys can try it out? That would be a lot better than trying to explain how it works...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 19:25:29

Spam the Web is a good site to host your stuff.

Imageshack is ok.

This looks good by the way, it's a cool idea.

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 19:50:30

This is a fantastic idea. But you'll definitely need more than just the ability to change the handle and the head. I'm loving this idea so I'll add some other things you could do.

You should be able to change the material of most objects. For example a sword could be worn out, wooden, metal, or gold and shiny.

Items like boxing gloves should have options to include barbed wire, spikes, razor wire, or nails coming out of it.

Maybe make a colorwheel of sorts where people can not only choose the colors of gloves but also custom color the backgrounds to any color they choose.

All items should be able to be saved as images to the desktop or something so people can use them in sigs and for whatever else they might want.

Keep this up man, this'll definitely hit home with most of the NG crew. Nice work.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 19:53:14

Smokin', did you see my umbrella I made in your previous thread two or so days ago? I'll send you that and make one or two more if you want? Just tell me what weapons, etc.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-21 21:04:11

At 7/21/08 07:50 PM, Senti wrote: You should be able to change the material of most objects. For example a sword could be worn out, wooden, metal, or gold and shiny.

THis is actually already part of the setup... most things change between just colors and whether or not there is blood on them... rust and abttle-damage type graphics are definitely a good idea though...

Items like boxing gloves should have options to include barbed wire, spikes, razor wire, or nails coming out of it.

Actually, my thought on this is to simply include things like the nails and spikes, etc. as separate graphical pieces that can be used at will on almost any of the other graphics. Since each can be rotated and sized to taste, they would all be really versatile pieces.

Maybe make a colorwheel of sorts where people can not only choose the colors of gloves but also custom color the backgrounds to any color they choose.

That one would be tough, and I am really doing this as a "version 1" or such, just because I know there is currently nothing like this.

All items should be able to be saved as images to the desktop or something so people can use them in sigs and for whatever else they might want.

This would also be tough... not even sure it is possible, but I'll look into it. I know Flash is getting more and more into the file-system stuff, just not sure whether an SWF loaded to NG would have permissions to do something like write a file to the desktop... let alone whether or not you can even generate stand-alone image format "files" from within Flash. I'll definitely include a "preview" button, however, that sizes the graphic you have created according to the 100 X 100 standard icon size, with instructions on how to screen-capture it.

At 7/21/08 07:53 PM, El-Presidente wrote: Smokin', did you see my umbrella I made in your previous thread two or so days ago? I'll send you that and make one or two more if you want? Just tell me what weapons, etc.

I definitely did... and it would be a welcome addition! Also I really wasn't thinking of items in particular for people to create, just simply whatever they wanted. But if you want an ad-hoc list:

nails/spikes/thorns - some cut-off like they're jutting out, others full-size
Sword handles - like leather-wrapped, metallic, designed
Sword hilts/hand-guards - also various materials and designs
Gnarled wooden staff
crystals (for decoration, or to be jutting out of a staff)
Jewels of various color, shape and cut
knife-blades
rocks
ideas for other "paint" options - like I listed electric bolt/static, ivy/vines, basically almost anything that could be drawn as a series of images lined in a row or slightly randomly placed/generated along the track made by the mouse
tools
toys - like rubber chicken, yo-yo, skateboard, toy soldiers... really anything
Anything you'd like to see or you think someone else would like to see that I didn't already mention...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 00:13:31

Umbrella & Yo Yo

Ng Level Icon Maker

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 03:00:17

That would be a nice game.

I DONT KNOW WHY MY SIG SUCKS. [NG Log] [Pinoy Club]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 07:12:38

Wow those are really well done, it looks really good, i can't wait until that game comes out.

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 10:20:43

First off, here is the link to the actual project file as it currently stands:

Click here

The next thing I am going to work on is scroll-bars for the content window, because it will need to contain more than just one full-page worth of options.

At 7/22/08 12:13 AM, El-Presidente wrote: Umbrella & Yo Yo

Excellent! If I could get the FLA that contains the vector art that would be ideal. Since the interface allows you to resize the content, a loss-less format is really what I'm going for. And if I had to re-draw what you've done it would kind of blur the line between it being your art-work, which is ultimately what i want to include in the project!

At 7/22/08 12:20 AM, Techno wrote: Rake level.

Same here, if you have this graphic in Flash vector format that would be exactly what I am looking for.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 10:27:45

Here's the .fla, but I added a shine to the yoyo.

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 12:39:16

At 7/22/08 10:27 AM, El-Presidente wrote: Here's the .fla, but I added a shine to the yoyo.

Thanks.

And to anyone else interested, here is a link to a version of the interface with El-Presidente's contributions in place:

Click here

Click the "Misc" tab at the top to get to the category of objects I included his under. Mouse over the umbrella, yo-yo, or lens-flare for a second or two to see the mouse-over text and the fact that I have credited him with the work...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 12:42:28

Please say there are guns? :(

This Signature is here to remind you when my post ends.

It's not very cool, though.

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 12:42:43

to get to the category of objects I included his under. Mouse over the umbrella, yo-yo, or lens-flare for a second or two to see the mouse-over text and the fact that I have credited him with the work...

that pretty good

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 12:52:12

At 7/22/08 12:42 PM, Timex247 wrote: Please say there are guns? :(

Most likely, yes. I already have the graphic for a Desert Eagle. It may need some tweaking to make it of high enough quality at larger resolutions, but it is definitely usable... and I'll probably make some more (if somebody doesn't beat me to it - hint, hint).

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 13:33:38

At 7/22/08 12:42 PM, Timex247 wrote: Please say there are guns? :(

An example of the one I mentioned appears below. The main problem with guns is that you can't really "build" them. Like you can a sword or what have you with different options. You could, but there would need to be so many specialized parts that would only go to one particular gun... it would basically be a whole different project...

Ng Level Icon Maker

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-22 13:47:40

I don't think you should add guns.. they're not even badass. Rakes however...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-23 06:58:29

At 7/22/08 11:51 PM, 61 wrote: Those look pretty damn cool.

Hmmm... I just now realized that several people who replied seem to have confused the level icons in my sig with the examples I said were created with the project I am working on... there are only the 3 examples on the neutral/green aura below the interface pic, NOT the smaller ones that appear in every post.

There will be a lot less of the static graphical elements in the project that you can only use stand-alone, and a lot more pieces that can be used to "build" a weapon...

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-23 08:04:50

thats some cool ish

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Level Icon Maker 2008-07-24 06:45:42

How long do you thin this is going to be till the completion of the project, this looks really promising.