00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DegasTyson54 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

To Catch a Stray

847 Views | 9 Replies

To Catch a Stray 2008-07-03 23:30:04

This is my last post for quite a while. Refer to new news post if you haven't seen it already...

The following events took place between 9:20 pm and 10:15 pm. At the Main and Union intersection.

I was bored as hell earlier. I had been playing Sins of a Solar Empire (awesome fucking game), and Neverwinter Nights (another awesome game) for several hours after i got home from work. I decided i needed a pick me up, so i got my bike and headed out to my corner store (I use to work/co-own the village grocery/deli on Main st). As i got to the Main / Union intersection, i noticed some lady whistling a dog over to her, but the dog just stayed put. I stopped, and asked her if she needed help with her dog (I don't know why, i just did, shut up.) She told me it wasn't her dog. Oh great...

It looked like a female German Shepherd. Maybe 3 or 4 years old. (picture posted below of what she kinda looked like) She seemed friendly, and it had a collar, and a bandana around it's neck. I couldn't /didn't want to get too close, in case she turned defensive aggressive. The lady told me i should call the cops, so i dialed, and told the operator "Hi my name is Scott, i'm currently at the Main and Union intersection, and there's a-" "One moment sir i'll redirect you to the amherst district".

Several seconds go by, and i watch the dog mosey across the interestion to the McDonalds plaza. FINALLY someone picks up, and i told the guy that i found a stray dog wandering around the streets. he told me they'll dispatch a car and we'll take the dog to it's owner, or the SPCA. I said thanks, and i hung up. Then i noticed "Where the fuck is that dog?"

I crossed the street, and rode down Main for a little while, searching for the stray. A little bit past the cemetary, i noticed her crossed BACK to the other side, and almost getting hit by a Dodge (how ironic). She continued to walk around, as i slowly followed behind her, waiting for the moment that i could catch it and attach my wallet chain to it's collar. Sudden;y she starts heading for the Butterwoods place (It's this fancy restaurant that serves desserts and such. Really good cheesecake there...). There were a few people eating outside, so i had to move quickly to snag this dog before these people freak out about a stray animal coming up to them. She walked up the stairs, and on to the deck (luckily these people were calm, even when i told them it wasn't my dog). and finally, fortune smiled upon me, i had to dog cornered at the end of the deck, so i grabbed a few chairs, and a nice little table, and put up a fancy little barricade.

So there i sat, for the next 23 minutes, looking at a menu, and talking to a dog. The cop finally showed up, we got the info on her collar, and she was put in the squad car, and they left. I stood there for a few seconds, watching the police car, with some random dog that i quite possibly saved it's life. Now, i don't believe in God, but it seems like something, gave me the chance to do somthing helpful, and responsible. To take time, and energy (and a lot of patience), to protect another creature from harm.

I guess i saved a life tonight, and it feels pretty good.

See you all in September!

To Catch a Stray

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-03 23:32:42

At first I was like "To catch a predat----oh"

Then, I serious'd.

\ \ \- - - - - - - - - -/ / / 1 \ \ \-|||-/ / / 2 \ \ \- - - - - - - - - -/ / /

BBS Signature

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-03 23:45:09

That was a very touching story...

Why are you leaving us!?!

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-04 12:57:18

Cute story. You did the right thing. I'm proud of you for once.

Tee-hee!

BBS Signature

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-04 13:01:54

Why didn't you just go up to the dog before the policeman got there? I don't get the point of making a barricade around the dog when you could have just petted it a couple times and gotten hold of its collar.

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-04 13:07:41

At 7/4/08 01:01 PM, JustsTrollingAlong wrote: Why didn't you just go up to the dog before the policeman got there? I don't get the point of making a barricade around the dog when you could have just petted it a couple times and gotten hold of its collar.

Oh i did, i sat there with the dog in one of the chairs i used for the barricade. until the cop showed up She was a quick dog, and i didn't want to have to grab her collar and hold her in place, and make her feel threatened. So i basically just boxed it in.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-04 13:12:29

So you know that dog was most likely taken to a kill shelter and will be put down in 3-7 days? Unless the dog had a microchip identifying it, or some address on the collar (address on the collar is extremely unlikely, and the microchip couldn't be found without a scanner)

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-04 13:15:13

You did a good thing, I just hope the dog just went missing and wasn't forced out by the owners.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-06 16:36:51

my friend saved a cat earlier today. She said the same thing, it feels good to do somthing noble.

Why don't you answer your PMs!?

Response to To Catch a Stray 2008-07-06 16:43:27

Wow, so what do you think you would have done if you just saw the dog but no old lady? Would you have just kept going?

BBS Signature