00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MiyuTheSceneGirl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Oboes are gay in major?

2,931 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:33:02

Rimsky Korsakov says oboes sound gay in the major scale.

ctrl+ f: gay

How the hell does a melody/instrument manage to sound gay?
This was written decades ago, I don't think he was allowed to say that in his legendary book.

Typo or not, it's funny. What do you think he really meant?

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:34:39

gay means happy or are you trolling me.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:43:02

At 6/22/08 04:34 PM, xKore wrote: gay means happy or are you trolling me.

That's what I don't understand. So, gay is a musical term for happy?

Learning something new everyday.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:44:35

a) Flute: Cold in quality, specially suitable, in the major key, to melodies of light and graceful character; in the minor key, to slight touches of transient sorrow.

b) Oboe: Artless and gay in the major, pathetic and sad in the minor.

c) Clarinet: Pliable and expressive, suitable, in the major, to melodies of a joyful or contemplative character, or outbursts of mirth; in the minor, to sad and reflective melodies or impassioned and dramatic passages.

d) Bassoon: In the major, an atmosphere of senile mockery; a sad, ailing quality in the minor.

WTF!!! hahaha! This guy is mean to the intruments. >:C

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:45:38

At 6/22/08 04:43 PM, Fuoco wrote:

Naw the orignal meaning of gay is happy, then people started calling homos gay, now gay means homo. I guess it's old english now.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:49:28

At 6/22/08 04:45 PM, xKore wrote: Naw the orignal meaning of gay is happy, then people started calling homos gay, now gay means homo. I guess it's old english now.

That makes sense. I found this yesterday and couldn't stop thinking what the hell did he mean by that.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 16:57:34

Yeah, I guess the idea was that gay people were happy, generally?

"Sit down and shut up and do as I say" -- Zeus

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 17:21:50

At 6/22/08 04:57 PM, OneWhoListens wrote: Yeah, I guess the idea was that gay people were happy, generally?

Stonings, beatings, burnings, lynching and general homophobic violence. Who WOULDN'T be gay in the olde times?

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 17:34:47

LOL, I remember that.

I love Rimsky's Guide to Orchestration :P

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 17:59:31

Well gay means happy,

and homo means the same...

Basically whenever we use these terms to abuse someone, we're making ourselves look like idiots...
For example:
"Wow, he is so happy" Not really an insult...

"Those two are such big the sames" Now you look like an idiot.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 21:39:54

Korsakov no doubt meant happy in this context, although I haven't read anything confirming this. Had there been any question about his implications, every edition of his Principles of Orchestration would probably devote a chapter's length in side notes discussing the matter.

Anyway, it's great that they've got some of the Principles of Orchestration on the site. They put it up a few years ago as I recall, glad to see it's still up and well! Although there are some parts that are a bit dated (some of the instrument ranges are no longer accurate today), it's a great read for everyone in my book!

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-22 22:49:48

the flinstones song has gay in it
"we'll have a gay ol time"

gay didn't become synonymous with homo till the 1920's or something, but back then gay was used for lots of other things

Congratulations! You just destroyed someone else's hard work! This Flash has been blammed.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 02:56:59

from WIKI some explanations about "GAY"
"In earlier and in literary usage, the word means "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy". From the 1890s, it had begun to carry a connotation of promiscuity, as in a "gay house" referring to a brothel. It began to be used in reference to homosexuality in particular from the early 20th century, from the 1920s at the latest."

so, the meaning is "Oboes are quite cheerful in major", i guess you can find also a translation like this

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 10:37:11

At 6/22/08 04:33 PM, Fuoco wrote: Rimsky Korsakov says oboes sound gay in the major scale.

ctrl+ f: gay
How the hell does a melody/instrument manage to sound gay?
This was written decades ago, I don't think he was allowed to say that in his legendary book.

Typo or not, it's funny. What do you think he really meant?

Wow, you're ignorance of the English language amazes me.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 11:27:24

Chronamut where are you??? We need insider information...

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 11:55:32

Your mom's gay in major >:U

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 12:35:46

At 6/23/08 10:37 AM, Khuskan wrote: Wow, you're ignorance of the English language amazes me.

Don't be an ass, I can hardly speak english properly and you want me to know about ancient english?

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 16:08:06

At 6/23/08 12:35 PM, Fuoco wrote:
At 6/23/08 10:37 AM, Khuskan wrote: Wow, you're ignorance of the English language amazes me.
Don't be an ass, I can hardly speak english properly and you want me to know about ancient english?

No, but I half expect you to understand some level of sarcasm.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 16:15:21

At 6/23/08 04:08 PM, Khuskan wrote:
At 6/23/08 12:35 PM, Fuoco wrote:
No, but I half expect you to understand some level of sarcasm.

Okay... /:

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 19:27:01

gay in major
he's being mean to oboe playes
everyone thinks oboes are gay
and it wouldn't make sense to say they're happy
so he's calling them stupid D:

I think they're stupid too
bassoons ftw

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 20:56:37

At 6/23/08 07:27 PM, sinicide wrote: and it wouldn't make sense to say they're happy

bassoons ftw

Haha. "Best post of the thread" award to you, lady.

At 6/23/08 08:15 PM, KaiserSzandor wrote: Oboes are one of the most beautiful instruments of them all. Their tone is so calm and pleasing.

Agreed.

This guy the OP linked to is obviously very musically isolated. Oboes aren't pathetic in the minor.

Musically isolated?! It's Rimsky Korsakov we're talking about here! Tchaikovsky himself sent him this letter: "I am a mere artisan in music, but you will be an artist in the fullest sense of the word."

Also, oboes can be pathetic. Depends on the melody and harmony.

It doesn't make sense to describe an instrument as "gay" in the major anyway, seeing as major keys are usually generally happy sounding, and therefor any instrument playing in such a key would sound happy.

It has been clarified by several users here that gay used to mean happy. So that means you're correct.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 20:58:45

At 6/23/08 07:27 PM, sinicide wrote: everyone thinks oboes are gay

i don't.

bassoons ftw

how is an instrument stupid...
sure you like one more than the other but oboes aren't horrible instruments.
they're awesome.

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-23 21:24:05

At 6/23/08 08:15 PM, KaiserSzandor wrote: How can you call an instrument "gay" in the modern sense?

Hmm...I think we can all come to a conclusion that in fact, all kazoos are "gay", in the modern sense.

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 02:41:08

Yes but Clarinets are lesbian in major.

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 03:17:41

At 6/23/08 08:15 PM, KaiserSzandor wrote: Oboes aren't pathetic in the minor.

*sigh...

Saying that they are not pathetic is a lot like wondering why he was describing them as "gay"

It would seem that you are applying one and only one definition of "pathetic"

This might help:
(taken from merriam-webster)
Pathetic \p%u0259-%u02C8the-tik\
Function: adjective
1 : having a capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptuous pity
2 : marked by sorrow or melancholy : sad
3 : pitifully inferior or inadequate <the restaurant's pathetic service>

I would agree that Korsakov's use of the terms were spot on given the time that they were written. After all, we're talking about what, late 19th early 20th century? There would be plenty of things that might seem a bit odd if we were to assume that the terms used should be defined by modern colloquialisms.

In another hundred years, everything written today will seem strange and outdated too...
Mostly because it will be.

At 6/24/08 02:41 AM, Syntrus wrote: Yes but Clarinets are lesbian in major.

After careful observation and much scrutiny, I've concluded that your post appears to be made of 94% win and 6% astroglide (which is a really good idea - especially if they're harmonizing with fifths)

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 03:42:50

At 6/23/08 09:24 PM, Lance wrote:
At 6/23/08 08:15 PM, KaiserSzandor wrote: How can you call an instrument "gay" in the modern sense?
Hmm...I think we can all come to a conclusion that in fact, all kazoos are "gay", in the modern sense.

And just for that, I will make a special note to include a kazoo solo in an upcoming song. =P

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 07:34:28

At 6/23/08 08:15 PM, KaiserSzandor wrote: Oboes are one of the most beautiful instruments of them all. Their tone is so calm and pleasing.

GAY!
I need to read no further...

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 08:00:45

At 6/22/08 04:43 PM, Fuoco wrote:

Gay is a double-sided word, originally describing happiness, and then adopted and pinned onto homosexuals.

BBS Signature

Response to Oboes are gay in major? 2008-06-24 08:19:25

i'm quoting miself because i see that people don't read previous posts usually and English knowledge is even less than mine (and i learned from watching cartoos and using computer/internet)
so, btw, oboes and french horn are my favourites instruments even that i'm a trumpet player

At 6/23/08 02:56 AM, sorohanro wrote: from WIKI some explanations about "GAY"
"In earlier and in literary usage, the word means "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy". From the 1890s, it had begun to carry a connotation of promiscuity, as in a "gay house" referring to a brothel. It began to be used in reference to homosexuality in particular from the early 20th century, from the 1920s at the latest."

so, the meaning is "Oboes are quite cheerful in major", i guess you can find also a translation like this