00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NobeastcanDefeatme just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Creation

806 Views | 13 Replies

My Creation 2008-06-15 19:51:30

NOTE - This is not a game/video game thread, this is not a story thread, this is a "I'm making somthing, and i want your ideas and opinions" thread
2nd NOTE - Yes, this is a long post, posting TLDR is a waste of my/your time.

Most of you (at least i hope most of you) have probably heard of the D&D based MMORPG, Neverwinter nights. Before i tell you what i need help with, here's a little backround on what i'm doing.

About 4 years ago, i made my own little world within NWN (using the toolset. Map creator, etc). I built this world for multiplayer gaming, with several hundred areas, monsters, items, etc. And about 45 minutes ago, i lost everything. (damn old computer....)
ANYway, i've begun rebuilding my game, and this time, i want to build it the right way. I want to design this world using the ideas and imagination of the general public, as well as my ideas that i've aleady put in.

For a minute, let's pretend that, you were actually interested in playing an MMORPG, what sort of things would you want in this game? (Mind you, this toolset i'm working with is extremely powerful, anything you can think of, i can create). The first few areas i'm working on is located on an island, that i designed to accomodate lots of players, AND my NWN clan group ("The Black Flame Pirates", i'll explain later).

I want to build a world, not only for myself, but for others to enjoy. So, with your help and ideas, we (yss, i will credit you for your ideas) can make an amazing game. To get your imagination going, here's a quick list of the kind of things i'm looking for. The more detailed your ideas, the better.

- Player housing (players can purchase areas in the game)
- Military offensive/defensive structures
- Bars, Taverns, hang-outs
- Castles, royalty structures

3rd note - Yes, i have absolutely no life, that i am able to design, create, and build an entire world.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 19:56:51

You know whats even more amazing? When the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork- does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 19:58:43

At 6/15/08 07:56 PM, StCyril wrote: You know whats even more amazing? When the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork- does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

Yeah!!!

wait, what...?

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 19:59:33

Include patapons...and a runescape guy lol

I don't know why I'm still here

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 19:59:33

TL;DR

I'm pretty hungry.

Yeah, I'm gonna go eat now.

Like I said, nobody gives a fuck.

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 20:02:34

At 6/15/08 07:56 PM, StCyril wrote: You know whats even more amazing? When the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork- does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

FFs stop spamming threads with MGS2 quotes I already saw you post that on like 3 fucking threads so far

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 20:05:49

At 6/15/08 07:59 PM, denose2003 wrote: Like I said,

Ahem....when?

nobody gives a fuck.

Yep, i know. But it's worth a shot to ask random people to help make a video game.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 20:06:56

At 6/15/08 08:05 PM, Elios wrote:
At 6/15/08 07:59 PM, denose2003 wrote: Like I said,
Ahem....when?
nobody gives a fuck.
Yep, i know. But it's worth a shot to ask random people to help make a video game.

You know whats even more irrelevant? When the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork- does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 21:34:40

It appears everyone's imaginations are broken right now, so i'll help you out with this one

I've played Neverwinter Nights 1 for a little while, haven't gotten into NWN2 yet. But i've been on many, many online servers. Some were good, most were bad, and i'd like to help you make the perfect online game.

For one, if this is intended to be a social game, then you'll want to keep players enclosed in a small area, so they don't wander off and get lost. I had the problem lots of times. The island idea sounds like a good start, and you mentioned a clan, so i'm guessing you'll need a heavy duty security system to prevent people from, looking in the wrong places.

I'd like to know more about the entirety of this game, so i can offer some more ideas!

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 21:46:57

At 6/15/08 09:34 PM, DungeonMasterClock wrote: more ideas!

I knew you'd show up eventually!

The game is called "The 12 Towers". I may have mentioned it in a previous thread. Basically, when EVERYthing is done, this is going to be a huge single/multiplayer adventure, spanning over 210 different areas. Right now, i'm just getting started on making a small server, to get myself familiar with the toolset, and designing the basic structure of the game.

The island area, which will be about 9 areas in itself, will be exclusivly for members of my clan organization, as well as invited guests. What i'm basically creating now is a simple little hang out area for my friends, and future clan members to join. I've designed training facilities, weapons and item merchants, a few taverns, a labratory to text items/monsters/scripts, and of course, my estate castle/clan organization area.

What i'm looking for now, is just some basic ideas of what people would want in an online game, that would make it more, enjoyable.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 21:49:46

You should perhaps make the storyline take place in different time periods. The protaginast will be able to go through these time periods Chrono Trigger-style and we will be able to see a Gladiator fighting a Samurai.

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 21:58:30

At 6/15/08 09:49 PM, RobotTaco wrote: You should perhaps make the storyline take place in different time periods. The protaginast will be able to go through these time periods Chrono Trigger-style and we will be able to see a Gladiator fighting a Samurai.

Interesting!

Also, i'll explain WHY the game is called "The 12 Towers".

Simply put, the storyline game takes place on a continent called Floren (Princess Bride rip-off, i know). In this game, there are 12 different towers, representing the twelve different elements of the world; Fire, ice, Earth, Sky, Iron, Gold, Brass, Ivory, Black, White, Shadow, Time. When you reach one of the towers, you are awarded with a super-awesome item, that gets you closer to the mysterious 13th Tower.

Anyway, one of the ideas i had, was called "The Book of Time". It's the reward item from the tower of time, and using this book transports your character to an alternate plane of existance. And using the book in certain areas, such as an ancient battlefield, it will teleport you back in time, to when the battle took place.

Awesome idea, lets hear some more!

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 22:00:21

I used to build for Erithorn's Might...

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum /1: The cesspool of the internet.

BBS Signature

Response to My Creation 2008-06-15 22:02:26

Make all the Towers on simple tower in different time periods. There will be twelve histories and each history will have the tower being a different Affinitie then any of the others. Perhaps make the final thirteenth history take place in a desolate White Void filled with silence. And I want to see a Hoplite fighting a Robot.

BBS Signature