00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

US needs another state!

933 Views | 14 Replies

US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:23:10

I don't know if this has been done and honestly I don't care. But do you think the US should get a 51st state so that at a federal election someone will always win? I know we've been lucky so far, but one day, there is going to be a flat-out tie. We should at least find out what happens if it were to occur.

Warlord-of-NG, using proper language since 6/3/06 (or sometime after that, because I can't remember if I made any posts before 2008).

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:27:49

50 is the perfect number for us. Another star would make the flag look weird.
We could add them on but not as a full fledged state.

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:27:58

I believe Puerto Rico is a US territory, but I doubt they'd desire to be anything more. Right now they don't have a central government to tell them some of the procedures they need to accomodate; in addition to having to pay no taxes.

Youtube - Where members of the 101st Keyboard Battalion lodge misinformed political opinions and engage in e-firefights with those they disagree.

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:31:12

At 3/27/08 08:27 PM, Duoflippy wrote: 50 is the perfect number for us. Another star would make the flag look weird.

A logical statement, but didn't the flag look weird with 49? Plus, we could call it Newgrounds.

Warlord-of-NG, using proper language since 6/3/06 (or sometime after that, because I can't remember if I made any posts before 2008).

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:50:30

At 3/27/08 08:23 PM, Warlord-of-NG wrote: I don't know if this has been done and honestly I don't care. But do you think the US should get a 51st state so that at a federal election someone will always win? I know we've been lucky so far, but one day, there is going to be a flat-out tie. We should at least find out what happens if it were to occur.

obviously you do not understand how a federal election works, like the presidential election. one state is not worth one "point", and so if 25 states voted one way and the other 25 voted the other way, there wouldn't be a tie, because of a little thing called the electoral college.

you know that branch of government called Congress? well, inside that branch, is a "wing" called the House of Representatives. this gets its representatives from each states based on population, and so the bigger states will obviously have more representatives. the electoral college is made so that each state gets one "point" in the federal elections for every member that they have in the H.O.R (House of Representatives)

so say california has 56 member in the H.O.R. then they would have 56 electoral votes in the election.

so it is possible for more states to vote for one candidate, yet have less votes, and lose to the candidate that won fewer states worth more electoral votes.

so even if we did add an extra state, the possibility of a tie is still possible. and it has happened before that no candidate won the majority. in the election of 1824, no single candidate won the majority of votes, and so to decide who won Congress voted and chose the president.

i hope that you are no smarter and will not make stupid posts like this again, before researching something to make sure that you do not make a total moron out of yourself

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 20:59:54

At 3/27/08 08:50 PM, jew193 wrote:
i hope that you are NOW smarter and will not make stupid posts like this again, before researching something to make sure that you do not make a total moron out of yourself

sorry for the double post, didn't want to sound like to much of a jackass

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:04:21

At 3/27/08 08:27 PM, Duoflippy wrote: 50 is the perfect number for us. Another star would make the flag look weird.

A 51-star flag has already been designed.

"NGs! now with +1 medical consultation." -SolInvictus

BBS Signature

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:05:32

The current should be enough, I think.

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:18:53

I can't possibly see how I am making a fool of myself when you are the one who seems to devote his time to kissing Congress' ass. Rarely do I see someone that actually wants to be IN Congress because they like it. Judging by your post count, I guess the only reason you became a member was to attempt to politically correct people all the time, up to the point when they just hate you. I seriously doubt that many people on NG have their head so far up their ass as you.

As for your explanation, I'm sure it is possible that with 50 states there is some way that you can get a tie.

in the election of 1824, no single candidate won the majority of votes, and so to decide who won Congress voted and chose the president.

Come on, you can't exactly trust THEM anymore.It's easy to tell that Congress probably made some better decisions in 1824. Things have changed a bit in 184 years. For example, bribery and blackmail. Laws have changed, lifestyles have changed, people have changed.

I certainly think it's possible to have a straight tie. I also think it's extremely unlikely. It would take a long time for it to occur. But it would be good if we had a plan for when it did happen.

On the lighter side, jew193, I commend your knowledge of the election system.

And thanks for the 51-star flag link Christopherr.

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:21:43

Cut Texas in half.

Two problems solved at once.

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:26:32

At 3/27/08 09:18 PM, Warlord-of-NG wrote: I can't possibly see how I am making a fool of myself when you are the one who seems to devote his time to kissing Congress' ass.

when did i once say that i would want to be in Congress? i would never be a politician. and im just saying, adding another state would not definitively make it so that there couldn't be a straight tie

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 21:56:23

At 3/27/08 09:26 PM, jew193 wrote: i would never be a politician.

That would be a smart move. Sorry if I pissed you off.

At 3/27/08 09:21 PM, Sigma-Lambda wrote:

:Cut Texas in half.

:Two problems solved at once.

What the hell?

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 22:47:44

At 3/27/08 09:18 PM, Warlord-of-NG wrote: As for your explanation, I'm sure it is possible that with 50 states there is some way that you can get a tie.

And HOW is this avoided with one more set of electors, exactly?

;

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-27 23:30:39

This thread is proof of the shortcomings of our education system.

TANSTAAFL.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

BBS Signature

Response to US needs another state! 2008-03-28 00:52:19

At 3/27/08 11:30 PM, therealsylvos wrote: This thread is proof of the shortcomings of our education system.

dont blame the education system, some people are so stupid you could hit him over the head with a bat and they would still shout FOUR.
example: op

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature