00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game You're Currently Playing

353,452 Views | 5,147 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-09-16 03:29:33

I've gotten back into Zombies on Call of Duty Black Ops. I beat my record of 40 rounds last week. My new record is 45 rounds by myself on the Kino Der Toten map.

I've also been playing Black Ops Zombies a lot these past couple of weeks with my boyfriend. He's amazed at how good I am, haha.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-09-18 04:48:56

i'm getting back into Bloodborne after a nearly year-long hiatus from it. i must say i'm having a much more enjoyable time now than i did before. it still has its unfair bullshitty moments because Miyazaki (director) is a sadist, but other than that i've been cruising through the game pretty easily.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-09-18 06:08:26

At 9/15/17 02:29 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:
At 9/13/17 06:59 PM, Jackho wrote:
Went back on for the first time since posting this stuff and beat him first go.

Just needed to come at it fresh, I guess. Was too hung up on going for counters before, didn't even fire a shot this time, just hung right in his face and wailed on him.

Finished on 1/3 health and no vials but fuck it, it's done.

Edit: Went and did Gherman and Moon Presence right after. I was DEFINITELY overlevelled for them. Gherman was easy, and Moon Presence was a joke. Just stood in front of it and swung, didnt even need to dodge or anything, just tanked its output.

Good game. Been looking at some Dark Souls videos to see if it's worth giving more of the series a chance but that slow combat still puts me right off.

i'm at Maria right now and her final form is always the game ender. i've gotten her down to 1/10 health but she always catches me at a weird angle with her flames. i've heard the hamlet is a huge spike in difficulty so that should be interesting.

you should give Dark Souls a go. the game is kind of timeless, even on ps3 it looks gorgeous because of the bloom and lighting effects used. it also has much more varied locations than Bloodborne. that was one of my biggest complaints going from Souls games to Bloodborne, the pallette and scenery is so drab and every area looks the same as the last.

the rolling is a bit archaic in Dark Souls though, you can only roll in cardinal directions, making shields even more useful.

i would say Dark Sould has the most memorable moments of any of the games, especially on a first playthrough. it also has what is considered by most to be the best boss fight in the Souls series, Ornstein and Smough.

give it a go.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-09-18 09:58:08

Playing Doom 3 on marine, still too easy I'll bump it up to veteran after this campaign. Bet there's no reward for it anyway... Except trophies.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-09-21 14:31:08

started playing Donkey Kong Country 3 last night, It didn't really evoke a sense of nostalgia that I thought would .it hasn't aged well like it's predecessors.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-01 19:24:36

Still playing the main campaign of Neverwinter Nights 2. About ten hours in, I can't say the story is all that gripping and I keep having issues with the awkward camera and stupid AI. The Mask of the Betrayer expansion is supposed to be really good and well written though, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also been playing Civilization V. I've played a lot of Civ IV and Beyond the Sword in the past and I feel like Civ V improves on them in many ways, most notably in the combat. I'm glad they got rid of death stacks and I like how naval units have actually become useful due to the ranged combat mechanics. I also like that the social policy mechanic allows for more customisation options than civics did.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-02 15:08:20

Super Mario RPG on Super NES Classic Edition.

Unlike the Wii Virtual Console version, this one feels like playing back in the '90s.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-04 03:10:28

Doom 3 on veteran. Much fun.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-04 04:57:17

finally picked up Fallout 4 on PS4 when i saw it for $30 at a grocery store. best gaming purchase in a long time. i was really hesitant to give it a chance because of how choppy Fallout 3 and NV's gameplay was on every platform i played it on, but Fallout 4 feels smooth as butter and they made a lot of quality of life improvements like removing weapon durability and making weapon mods more common and gave perks a linear progression in each SPECIAL attribute, rather than just choosing them from a column menu.

[SPOILERS FOR MAIN STORY]

it feels pretty weird having my child stolen and then spending the next month in game time running around managing settlements, but i'm having a blast, fuck that kid.

BBS Signature

At 10/4/17 04:57 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: finally picked up Fallout 4 on PS4 when i saw it for $30 at a grocery store. best gaming purchase in a long time. i was really hesitant to give it a chance because of how choppy Fallout 3 and NV's gameplay was on every platform i played it on, but Fallout 4 feels smooth as butter and they made a lot of quality of life improvements like removing weapon durability and making weapon mods more common and gave perks a linear progression in each SPECIAL attribute, rather than just choosing them from a column menu.

I've invested over 300 hours into Fallout 4 going by the Boner clock, and in that time I feel like I've only covered maybe 50% of all the content. It's the most addictive game I've ever played. The writing takes a severe dip in quality from New Vegas, the dialogue system can be frustrating and radiant quests can fuck off, but I can't be put off by that when the gameplay is just so much better.

The gun customization is fantastic and something I wish was in every shooter, the new leveling system is masterful and virtually every gameplay change (other than the four-option dialogue) is a massive leap from the clunkyness of 3 and NV. The reward loop of exploring and finding loot is like meth. And then if there wasn't enough content they've also added mods to consoles for the first time with a streamlined interface. I know this is a majorly successful game, but from critics and within the fanbase I don't believe it gets near enough appreciation for what it did right, it only ever gets discussed in terms of what it did worse than NV.

it feels pretty weird having my child stolen and then spending the next month in game time running around managing settlements, but i'm having a blast, fuck that kid.

And here's one of the weakest aspects of the game, which is only amplified by giving your character a voice and a pre-set personality. There's such a disconnect between what your character thinks he does and what you can make him do. You can blow your son's head off with a shotgun, eat his corpse, wear his clothes home and re-assemble his skull on your mantelpiece in your sick nuka cola palace guarded strickly by biniki-clad women wielding miniguns.

There's nothing to stop you doing any of that, which is amazing... but every time you talk to someone your character is still this doting, concerned father and reluctant hero. It's more than a little jarring, unless you really want to roleplay a vanilla good guy and no one else. I had roughly equal time invested across several characters that were completely different on paper and it's just frustrating how similar they all end up being in action.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-04 18:26:57

At 9/21/17 02:31 PM, argile wrote: started playing Donkey Kong Country 3 last night, It didn't really evoke a sense of nostalgia that I thought would .it hasn't aged well like it's predecessors.

I found a better appreciation for the game since I had went back to playing it Sunday once I gotten further into it, don't really enjoy the port levels they feel somewhat silly thanks to the theme that evelene Fischer composed for areas compared to the rest of the game

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-04 22:55:11

Gran Tusimo 4: The Real Understeer Simulator.

It's all so tiresome

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-08 10:50:11

#Mari0Online

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-08 13:50:39

Divinity Original Sin 2.

I thought the Original Sin was super bland, and didn't care for Divinity 2, the only other game in the series I've played, but I'm enjoying this one.

The story and world are still crap, Larian can't write for shit, but the combat and freedom it offers make up for it. I must have stumbled on four or five ways to do the jailbreak in the first act, and then ended up just storming the gates and killing all the guards because by exploring all the other options I'd levelled up enough to do so.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-08 19:20:10

At 10/8/17 01:50 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:

The story and world are still crap, Larian can't write for shit, but the combat and freedom it offers make up for it.

That right there, just for me personally, sounds terrible. Most of the games I loved playing, especially RPGs, I really got into the story. I bad story can absolutely kill a good game for me.
I was thinking of getting the first one for the PS4, but if the story's that bad, maybe I'll pass.

Playing Hob right now. I am loving this game so far. It's a silent story. None of the characters so far have talked, but I feel like I still at least have an idea of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZZiLHqqa2M

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-09 04:44:39

I'm be playing Shadow of War, tomorrow. I can't wait.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-09 21:15:22

At 10/4/17 05:39 PM, Jackho wrote: I've invested over 300 hours into Fallout 4 going by the Boner clock, and in that time I feel like I've only covered maybe 50% of all the content. It's the most addictive game I've ever played. The writing takes a severe dip in quality from New Vegas, the dialogue system can be frustrating and radiant quests can fuck off, but I can't be put off by that when the gameplay is just so much better.
The gun customization is fantastic and something I wish was in every shooter, the new leveling system is masterful and virtually every gameplay change (other than the four-option dialogue) is a massive leap from the clunkyness of 3 and NV. The reward loop of exploring and finding loot is like meth. And then if there wasn't enough content they've also added mods to consoles for the first time with a streamlined interface. I know this is a majorly successful game, but from critics and within the fanbase I don't believe it gets near enough appreciation for what it did right, it only ever gets discussed in terms of what it did worse than NV.

i'm probably a lot less concerned with the dialogue system than a lot of people. i generally just choose the least contentious answer and play the good guy, just to get through the conversation. for me the environmental storytelling is where it's at. i've run across so many self-contained stories with a beginning, middle and end, told by computer logs, which enemies are present, positions of corpes, positions of items, the location itself, etc. the freedom the devs have with this engine allows them let the game do the talking, and lets the player be a detective, piecing together past and current events just by exploring and being aware of their surroundings. it's pretty fantastic.

And here's one of the weakest aspects of the game, which is only amplified by giving your character a voice and a pre-set personality. There's such a disconnect between what your character thinks he does and what you can make him do. You can blow your son's head off with a shotgun, eat his corpse, wear his clothes home and re-assemble his skull on your mantelpiece in your sick nuka cola palace guarded strickly by biniki-clad women wielding miniguns.

There's nothing to stop you doing any of that, which is amazing... but every time you talk to someone your character is still this doting, concerned father and reluctant hero. It's more than a little jarring, unless you really want to roleplay a vanilla good guy and no one else. I had roughly equal time invested across several characters that were completely different on paper and it's just frustrating how similar they all end up being in action.

yeah i agree that the player character's attitude is pretty grating, and there's much less freedom to role play the type of character you want to be, but i see that as a minor complaint. they tried something new and put the player on rails as far as the main story and your personality goes, but i see that as them just wanting to tell that story in a specific way, it doesn't bother me much.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-11 14:30:47

Middle-earth: Shadow of War and It's amazing.

BBS Signature

At 10/9/17 09:15 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: i generally just choose the least contentious answer and play the good guy, just to get through the conversation.

This is the biggest problem though, all answers are the good guy answer. More often than not your dialogue options are Yes, Sarcastic Yes, No (which actually means Yes), and then some utterly braindead question there to pad out the amount of choices. If you choose the occasional asshole option you're still just agreeing with slightly different dialogue.

for me the environmental storytelling is where it's at.

This is one of the best bits yeah, but 3 and NV did this stuff just as well. I'd actually say 4 might be a slight step back because the vaults are kinda mediocre in comparison. Each vault is like a one-off story where this kind of design can really shine, they might be my favourite part of these games.

they tried something new and put the player on rails as far as the main story and your personality goes, but i see that as them just wanting to tell that story in a specific way

I don't think 'something new' should be praised when it's such a blatant misstep though. Bethesda games have never had good stories and restricting the player wont change that, they've always found strength in being a flexible experience built moreso by the player themselves. It did help F4 stand out next to the others to be fair, but if they don't immediately drop it for the next major game I'll be so disappointed.

At 10/14/17 09:40 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Started fooling around with Gone Home today. I think I'll pick it up again and finish it when I have some time to go full 100% on it.

It's less than two hours long, tops, even if you take your time and exhaustively explore everything. So you won't exactly need to set a whole evening aside for it. Taking your time and getting immersed is the way to do it though.

Anyways, I can see why so many people hate it. It's not really a game, but more of an experience.

Using "not a game" to describe something that is blatantly a game and nothing else is the most obnoxious, regressive and frustrating shit about these narrative-focused walking sims. I'm not hating on you specifically because it's such a common sentiment you're echoing, and criticizing the ridiculous price and lack of content is valid, but as soon as "not a game" comes into play by god I want to hurl the biggest brick at you through your screen. Gone Home has issues but 90% of the backlash was entirely political also, and from critics completely over-hyping it.

Wew anyway, uh, try to enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn't, I guess. It didn't blow me away or anything but I love the nostalgic, comfy atmosphere coupled with the setting of a creepy house on a stormy night. It really does capture this wistful feeling of childhood memories, of late nights and rainy days, of being afraid of the dark, overactive imaginations, curiosity. I just wish they'd expanded it into something more.

It's much more about the "feel" than the actual story or gameplay.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-17 08:19:40

League of Legends
TF 2
Cuphead
Warhammer 40k Soulstorm and Dawon Of War I

i bought Dying Light the other day, i'm about 6% into the main story. it's from the same development team that made Dead Island, but i didn't know that going in, and i was kind of shocked how blantantly entire systems, UI's and ideas were "borrowed" from Dead Island. once i found out it was the same team it was all good though.

it feels just like a sequel to Dead Island but in a new console generation. combat is largely the same, but feels more responsive and tight than its predecessor. it feels really good to walk into a horde of zombies and dismantle them one by one or all at once with bombs. i think dropkicking zombies might be the most satisfying game experience i've had in a long time.

the player progression trees are done a little better, being less linear. you upgrade each tree by using the skill associated with it, i.e. freerunning, combat and completing quests. could take it or leave it, personally i think most player progression trees in modern games are tacked on just because it's just what games do now.

the freerunning aspect of the game is one of the biggest changes from Dead Island, and really appreciated. having total freedom of movement up and across buildings adds another layer of strategy to dealing with the undead. it also expands exploration vertically and rewards you for reaching out-of-the-way locations with boxes of goodies.

the other big change is the day and night cycle. what a joy this is. in the beginning of the game, people talk about how dangerous night time is, but i had no idea it would become integrated into the gameplay so well. all points you earn are doubled, but there are also "volatiles" running around, and so far they are far too dangerous and powerful for me to kill, i have to run away, and the pursuits get my adrenaline peaking every time. using your freerunning skills to outrun fast, agile, deadly enemies at night where your only light source is a flashlight is a thrill. it also creates a risk/reward system. the volatiles show up on your minimap with a sight cone, so you have to maneuver around them in order to take advantage of the double points. pretty genius.

i really liked Dead Island, and Dying Light is just a superior version in every way, so i can't complain.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-28 04:57:28

Been dipping in and out of a few different games just now:

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - Not usually a big Mario fan but I wanted another game besides Zelda on the Switch. I'm maybe about 3 hours in and really enjoying this. It has more of a Banjo-Kazooie feel than the previous Mario games I've played, although I've not played much of the 3D Mario games so maybe that's what I should have been expecting. Probably going to be playing more of this today.

Destiny 2 (PC) - Had this on pre-order but debated cancelling it a few times. Obviously decided to stick with it in the end and so far it's enjoyable but I've only really been playing solo. So far it hasn't really felt like multiple players are needed but I'm sure that will change as some of the raid elements come into play.

Breath of the Wild (Switch) - Been so long since I last played this so I deleted my save and started over. Almost caught up to where I was last time and still really enjoying this. Combat feels more difficult than any Zelda game I've played before. If you initiate a fight with the wrong enemy (in the early game at least) don't be surprised if they deplete all your hearts with one hit. I remember last time, after I defeated the first Divine Beast I felt a bit lost and unsure where I was supposed to be heading next. Wonder if I'll still feel like that this time.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-28 15:14:42

Got my copy of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. So I'll probably be playing that for the time being.

I'm also playing Omega Ruby and getting a little irritated at Steven. I've already beaten the game and Delta Episode. I'm just going back through the Elite Four and getting legendaries and junk. Also in the process of leveling up my Lairon and Zweilous because I want to get a decent Steel Type and a Dragon so I can swap my Rayquaza out with something else. Though I might just level grind til I get a Salamence.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-30 06:13:50

I'm playing through Sonic Adventure 2 again to get all 180 emblems. Only Cannon's Core on hard mode until I've got "A" rank on every level/mission! I still have the Chao stuff to go though.

Also I recently beat Zelda: Breath of The Wild, and I've also beat Sonic Mania but I'm going through again to beat it with each character.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-30 14:42:01

Started playing Assassin's Creed: Origins.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-10-31 16:22:47

With it being Halloween, I decided to boot up Silent Hill 2.

I am loving the atmosphere so far. I think the game builds up the tension really well with this long walk to town through a thick fog, everything all eerie and quiet, never being able to see further than 15 metres ahead of you... I made it to the apartment building and I'm absolutely dreading what the game is going to throw at me in here.

I do have to say the combat is super clunky though. It's weird how sometimes you miss on your first swing and hit on your second. The way it registers hits seems completely arbitrary and I doubt that was meant this way (what is this? Morrowind?). So I decided to turn the action level down a notch from Normal to Easy before it gets too frustrating. I doubt combat is going to be such a major part of the game anyway.

Anyone else playing anything special for Halloween?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Been a while since I posted here, this forum completely dead yet?

Picked up a Switch. It's a nice little system, surprisingly light in your hands and just small enough to not be useless as a portable. The split controller is a nice way for every system to come standard with two player support out of the box, but it doesn't feel quite as good in your hands as the WiiU's pad did and the lack of a dpad hurts. I will give credit that the controller grip you can slide the Joycons into is acceptable.

Fire Emblem Warriors - It's a musou so if you're even vaguely familiar with the style you know exactly what to expect. It's pretty basic hack n' slashing with a touch of strategy thanks to some of the Fire Emblem elements they've adapted into the game. You have to baby your companions a bit too much since they like to run to the boss when you probably want to finish off some side objectives.

Axiom Verge - I would have thought it unthinkable that a new Metroid game would be the third best metroidvania I've played all year, but here we are. Axiom Verge has a ton of style with a world that's oddly aware of its own gaminess. Areas of the map are "glitched out" with corrupted sprites and you gain powerups that play into this theme, but I don't know if it pays off enough on any of those interesting ideas or builds enough on the mechanical possibilities that follow from them. Still a really good game, but doesn't quite match up to Hollow Knight for me.

Super Mario Odyssey - Like with every Mario release it's heartening to see life and innovation in the AAA platformer genre. Personally I think I still prefer the Sunshine/Galaxy style of design where each world was more a series of bespoke platforming challenges that were weaved into a large open area. Odyssey's worlds are more like playgrounds littered with power moons (this game's version of stars). You get power moons like crazy from everything from solving a simple puzzle, to discovering a more traditional platforming challenge ( these are usually outside the main map in a secret room), to something dumb like ground pounding a glowing spot on the ground. I wish those last ones didn't exist or at least gave you a partial moon, because it's easy to get enough of those to progress to new worlds without finding more interesting ones.

There are still plenty of actual challenges even if this is one of, if not the, easiest Mario games and each world so charming that it's a joy to run around even if some of the rewards feel hended out rather than earned. What it loses in the lack of thematic cohesion Sunshine and Galaxy had it gains in the surprise of seeing what each new world has in store. They really lean into the over-the-top goofiness especially in New Donk city where watching Mario platform around "photorealistic" (by 2002 standards) NPCs is always funny and the last few areas through the finale are surprisingly epic.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-11-05 01:33:01

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-11-05 05:19:41

At 11/5/17 01:33 AM, ChickenBurry wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/701675

this is not the place to plug your flash game.

BBS Signature