00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MicPix just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Challenge Week 1

3,620 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-02 22:53:35

Hello all,

It's me Rudy, and I'm here hosting a nice little new sprout to the Flash Forum. I've been pondering on whether to do this idea or not, but I really wanted to get this baby going. Personally, I am doing this so it can help me manage my way back into the flash scene, so let the games begin.

The whole idea of this thread is basic animating. More like frame by frame, and more techniques for other artists to adapt on with the theme of the week. Before further ado, I'm going to go on about the rules of this thread.

- To start things off, you're definitely aloud to discuss your work with other artists and how you're working with the animation theme given.
- To make things more interesting, show your progress on your work, and how it's going on within the time lapse of the week. (Day 1; Day 2; Day 3;)
- No spamming
- No flaming others about their work, and putting them down.
- Constructive Criticism is allowed, just please do not badger or annoy someone telling them constantly they suck You may help them with ideas on improving and examples.

I'm well aware these ideas have been brought up before. I remember browsing the forums and always wanting to take part but I never did. But let's get this baby started.

Today's theme is to complete a full jumping cycle. It can be either way. Just a basic jumping cycle that'll either launch the character across the screen, or just jumping up and down. Either way is acceptable. Just make it fun, and have your creative juices flowing.

If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Let's get this thing on the road !

Example Below.

Animation Challenge Week 1

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-02 23:01:03

Isn't sweetskater like getting entrants to do a jump cycle to win cash? Would people who show their work here be able to submit it to STW's contests?

Just say yes :P

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-02 23:05:16

At 3/2/08 11:01 PM, Coolio-Niato wrote: Isn't sweetskater like getting entrants to do a jump cycle to win cash? Would people who show their work here be able to submit it to STW's contests?

Well, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't aware of any of this. But sure, of course you can use your little animations for other things. Let's say, if you make a walking cycle, you can use it for whatever you want.

I can't tell you what you can or cannot do. You own that little animation you did, so of course you're aloud to use it anywheres as you please. So, to answer your question, the answer is yes. You are aloud to submit the work shown here for other contests.

Thanks for bringing that up.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 00:17:59

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 00:21:50

At 3/3/08 12:17 AM, Jimtopia wrote: I makes a jump!

http://www.swfup.com/file/145231

The animation would probably work better with thinner lines, but something I really like is how he like floats in the air a bit when he's like up there. It seems as if the wind is like being caught in his pants which look like a cool effect, even though he has no detail clothing.

Needs work, but still looks good so far. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 00:23:34

At 3/3/08 12:21 AM, Rudy wrote:
At 3/3/08 12:17 AM, Jimtopia wrote: I makes a jump!

http://www.swfup.com/file/145231
The animation would probably work better with thinner lines, but something I really like is how he like floats in the air a bit when he's like up there. It seems as if the wind is like being caught in his pants which look like a cool effect, even though he has no detail clothing.

Needs work, but still looks good so far. :)

I didn't want to get too detailed, which is why I didn't use thin lines. But I'm glad you like it.

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 00:59:32

Im still a little confused about the whole concept. So you make an animation about what, for howlong and..yea I know you show progress for day1 day 2 ect.. Do you do your own animation and just give it to you. If you could help me out there in that explanation I may just join.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 01:03:59

At 3/3/08 12:59 AM, VintageBro wrote: Im still a little confused about the whole concept. So you make an animation about what, for howlong and..yea I know you show progress for day1 day 2 ect.. Do you do your own animation and just give it to you. If you could help me out there in that explanation I may just join.

Well, I believe I explained it within the first post.

The main concept of this thread is just basically a animation advancement type of deal. Its basically helping you improve on your animation skills. Every week for maybe a month or so, I will give everyone a theme to work on and than it'll advance from there.

This week is of course jumping. So your goal is to complete a full jumping cycle and show everyone how it turned out so you can either get criticism or good gestures about it. None of the work is going to be compiled into anything, no submissions on Newgrounds, its just something for fun.

Unless someone wants to throw some ideas and advance it into something bigger... but we'll just keep it as it is on the ground base as just a little thing to kill a few hours.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 01:04:59

Oooo I get it, Alright , thank you. Now I understand much better.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 01:11:24

you can tell I rarely animate with flash
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/020308/7 9473_JUMP.php

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 02:33:06

Who can stand and jump on their tiptoes? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 02:43:39

Great idea for a thread Rudy. I used to host very similar exercises on Burststudio.com. I hope I can be a part of some of these. My workload right now with college is kind of ridonk but I'll do what I can.

Good luck keeping it going, it gets harder and harder to come up with decent exercises as time goes on as I'm sure you'll figure out for yourself, but I'm all for this if you keep it up. I can't wait to see peoples entries.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 02:48:56

sounds interesting

I might give it a go

GAMERTAG: robm227

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 07:06:32

At 3/3/08 02:43 AM, Senti wrote: Great idea for a thread Rudy. I used to host very similar exercises on Burststudio.com. I hope I can be a part of some of these. My workload right now with college is kind of ridonk but I'll do what I can.

Good luck keeping it going, it gets harder and harder to come up with decent exercises as time goes on as I'm sure you'll figure out for yourself, but I'm all for this if you keep it up. I can't wait to see peoples entries.

Will, SweetSkater, beat him to it on behalf of Spam the web. I'm not trying to advertise the site meaninglessly or anything but if you want to earn cash from your jump cycle get over to The STW Forums and submit it there. $10 first prize and $5 for second.

Good luck all :)

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 07:48:42

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 08:23:45

At 3/3/08 07:48 AM, McJesus wrote: Before you ask, I'm sticking with just the pants. [WIP]

Can't be bothered waiting for someone else to post.

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 08:52:05

Whats with his walking at the beginning?

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 14:35:11

At 3/3/08 02:43 AM, Senti wrote: Great idea for a thread Rudy. I used to host very similar exercises on Burststudio.com. I hope I can be a part of some of these. My workload right now with college is kind of ridonk but I'll do what I can.

Thanks!

I hope you can take part as well, and Yeah, I'll figure something else as the days go on. We'll see what happens though.

At 3/3/08 07:06 AM, UnknownFury wrote: Will, SweetSkater, beat him to it on behalf of Spam the web. I'm not trying to advertise the site meaninglessly or anything but if you want to earn cash from your jump cycle get over to The STW Forums and submit it there. $10 first prize and $5 for second.

Ah, don't worry. IT's alright that you plugged in the site, it'll help the artist get extra cash as well. Doesn't quite mean anything bad. No hard feelings :)

At 3/3/08 08:23 AM, McJesus wrote: Can't be bothered waiting for someone else to post.

I really like that, even though it's only pants -- It still looks very stylish. Keep it up.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 15:56:00

Attention Animators:

Over at the SpamTheWeb Forums SweetSkater was organizing a little contest for similar weekly challenges. Due to the fact that it'll be ridiculous to run two of very similar projects, we've both decided to conjoin both and just bring the fun to the BBS Flash Forum.

This whole Animation Challenge Week will have a few new minor changes due to the whole negotiation. To start things off, the changes are now based off of SweetSkater's Original Rules:

1. NEW MONEY RULE! For every 2 entries done to satisfaction quality, $2 is added, so even if there are only 2 entries added, money will be available :) See rule 7 and 9 also.

2. The parts must be the right frame size / fps / Timer length / and any other thing stated in the specific thread.

3. ALL of the parts will be submitted to various flash sites including this one if 10 submissions are made!

4. ONLY one submittion from each person counts, although you can submit more than once.

5. There is only one winner, the winner will receieve the amount of money specified BY PAYPAL ONLY!

6. Winners will be chosen by YOU, the people! See later rules for more information.

7. NO Clocks / Any other crap / SPRITES. If it is total crap then i will not count it as a submission.

8. Remember that this is for animation practise as much as anything so it doesn't have to be perfect, unless your serious about getting the winnings ;).

9. There will be a maximum of $50.00 granted to the winner.

10. If there is tie, The cash prize will simply be split in half to the top two winners.

-----------
Note: After completing the full week's submissions, Send me your .fla files, so I can compile them within a folder and soon create a .swf compilation of the work for a submission to be featured on Newgrounds and SpamTheWeb.

Also, remember that each animator is worth two dollars. So let's say for example, if we have fifteen animators, the top prize will be $30.00. $50.00 Limit Maximum.
-----------

I'm well aware, SweetSkater has already started the first week prior to this original event/contest -- So he'll take care of that week, but from now on it's basically in both of our hands. I'll be compiling the work together, each week and after submitting it to the Prtal, I would like various artists and users on Newgrounds to vote for their favorite submission.
-----------

Key of Winning:
To win, you have to simply be voted for the most. When the submission of the complied work hits Newgrounds, Voters will vote for their favorite work via PM or within Reviews. In conclusion to the deadline of votes, We will present the Cash Prize Via PAYPAL ONLY, and you'll receive your earnings.

There are following up rules to the voting round as well:
- Do not mass vote/review.
- Any suspicion of mass voting will result to a disqualification from the whole contest.
- You can not vote for yourself nor can you vote at all. The authors will not be eligible to vote for the winners. They have to sit back and watch the show. :)
-----------

Co-Authors
Co-Authoring will be accepted when the contest is over. After the week is ended, the flash will be submitted and I'll co-author the top 8 animators. Since number one slot is taken by the SpamTheWeb Newgrounds account.
-----------

The whole contest is basically simple. Just follow the rules and guidelines and you should be fine. Thank you for your time, and hopefully this will be a fun week.

Any questions?
PM Rudy or SweetSkater.

Thank you.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:38:11

I like the new winnings system. Alot better :)
More people who enter = more money if you win.

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:38:30

At 3/3/08 03:56 PM, Rudy wrote: Also, remember that each animator is worth two dollars. So let's say for example, if we have fifteen animators, the top prize will be $30.00. $50.00 Limit Maximum.

Correction, Every two animations is two dollars. One dollar each. Sorry for the inconvenience.

sorry for triple post, alot of information within one thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:44:42

Posting to verify that this is actually happening, Rudy has pretty much covered it (we spoke on msn).
I'm pretty excited about this new ordeal :D

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:57:32

Wait, so the NG submission is just playing each of the entries one at a time? I would think those would get low scores, and if so, I wouldn't want co >_>

But the contest and cash sound pretty cool :D

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:59:05

At 3/3/08 04:57 PM, ShirkDeio wrote: Wait, so the NG submission is just playing each of the entries one at a time? I would think those would get low scores, and if so, I wouldn't want co >_>

I'm organizing Week One from SweetSkater's old contest and probably going to upload it to Newgrounds, so from there you can see how the setup will look like. It's not going to be all at once. I have an idea.

Just be patient.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 16:59:25

At 3/3/08 04:57 PM, ShirkDeio wrote: Wait, so the NG submission is just playing each of the entries one at a time? I would think those would get low scores, and if so, I wouldn't want co >_>

I think they're all going to be compiled into one entry of all the submissions.

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 17:10:29

At 3/3/08 04:59 PM, Rudy wrote: I'm organizing Week One from SweetSkater's old contest and probably going to upload it to Newgrounds, so from there you can see how the setup will look like. It's not going to be all at once. I have an idea.

Just be patient.

Ok--sorry if I seemed against this or impatient =\

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 17:11:48

At 3/3/08 05:10 PM, ShirkDeio wrote: Ok--sorry if I seemed against this or impatient =\

Oh, no need to apologize. Hah. I'm sorry if I came off rude or bothered.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 18:37:38

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 18:50:26

At 3/3/08 06:37 PM, CalebRS wrote: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/030308/6 6980_jump.php

I'll try to improve it later.

Looking good so far ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Challenge Week 1 2008-03-03 19:19:05

I did this a little while ago: Link

:U