00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoJoshke just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Diy Toy Gallery

1,133 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 00:32:25

Borrowing inspiration from the ever cool Ng DIY Munny Competition (still going on so check it out <a>http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/8 02605/1<a>, I have created my own thread to showcase any custom toy you make.

Sadly, my I, WZLs have not yet arrived, but I will not be discouraged. When they arrive, I will paint them and post them here.

In the interim, I bought some throwaway plastic dolls from a local craft store and have had a blast re-creating them into my own.

Check it out.

Diy Toy Gallery

'He who laughs and runs away, lives to laugh another day' - Cesar Romero as the Joker

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 00:43:24

cool. I've noticed that the more you paint on figures the more adept you are at finding things that work and things that dont. I think one of the most challenging and frusterating things about the DIY Munny Comp. was that it was something people werent used to.. i think if we do it again next year they will come out even better than this years.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 00:52:29

At 11/29/07 12:43 AM, Luis wrote: cool. I've noticed that the more you paint on figures the more adept you are at finding things that work and things that dont. I think one of the most challenging and frusterating things about the DIY Munny Comp. was that it was something people werent used to.. i think if we do it again next year they will come out even better than this years.

Hell yes! I've learned a ton from just doing a few of these.

This figurine was primed and base coated. And I frankly wasted time. I took the second and third doll and painted directly on them. Better and faster results.

I've been 'toying' with the idea of doing a custom vinyl mold as well. Hopefully, I will have one ready in the next quarter or so. Of course, these dolls were $2 each and frankly my time is worth more than $2 for the effort I'll have to put in hand pouring molds.

'He who laughs and runs away, lives to laugh another day' - Cesar Romero as the Joker

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 01:02:10

One more. I decided the hair didn't match the look I was going for, so I scalped the poor thing. The nice thing is that I can see myself buying a case of these dolls so I have interchangeable heads and such.

One thing I learned if you want to go bald, cut the hair with scissors or a box cutter as close to the scalp as possible, then push the plugs in. I literally tried to pull the hair out and split the head down the middle. Not unfixable, but if you're trying to preserve the shape, try shaving.

My wife REALLY worries about me playing with dolls. Little does she know, I'm playing god.

Diy Toy Gallery

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 01:59:21

Tat doll is nice. I like the design. It's simple, but it really works well with it. I admit, as far as hair goes, you might want to get a darker hair for it, it'll fit better.

BBS Signature

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 11:29:26

I found that using gesso made it easier to work with and for the paint to adhere... my very first Luis Munny took a ton longer than the tricky Wzl i did... i waited a few hours and the wzl was ready to go whereas the non-gesso'ed one took more coats and longer drying times... specially for light colors such as peach.

Some colors also are chemically more heavy than others.. neutral gray and thalo blue can cover it one coat... crimson red and canary yellow took a number of coats.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 11:48:53

At 11/29/07 11:29 AM, Luis wrote: Some colors also are chemically more heavy than others.. neutral gray and thalo blue can cover it one coat... crimson red and canary yellow took a number of coats.

Aha! That makes sense. The grey primer went on like a snap and the black when on smooth, but white and freakin yellow has been murderous. I'm trying to paint a primed piggy bank and have just about given up!

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 13:24:11

At 11/29/07 11:29 AM, Luis wrote: I found that using gesso made it easier to work with and for the paint to adhere... my very first Luis Munny took a ton longer than the tricky Wzl i did... i waited a few hours and the wzl was ready to go whereas the non-gesso'ed one took more coats and longer drying times... specially for light colors such as peach.

Some colors also are chemically more heavy than others.. neutral gray and thalo blue can cover it one coat... crimson red and canary yellow took a number of coats.

What I noticed onthe one I used Gesso was also that it was harder to get rid of brushstrokes and since the paint dried faster, I had to apply the paint faster, because once it began to dry, the paint would get like gooey and sticky.

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 19:18:45

'toy' is a little to narrow of terms to make a thread, unless of course, you where including all miniatures in that scheme as well (warhammer?)(models that arn't necessarily toys?)

or am I just being a nazi...

REALITIY, IT'S JUST, IT'S JUST-REALITY

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 20:53:36

At 11/29/07 06:23 PM, fetusdoctor wrote:
At 11/29/07 01:02 AM, laughinglion wrote: Little does she know, I'm playing god.
Lol. That made my day.

Also, very cool design. I thought the hair looked better, but if you're going to go with the bald thing you should paint her head too.

Yeah, I agree. the hair looked better on. And the bald head looked better painted. (I'm such the pacifist)

try this one out (Yes, god thinks a woman with two heads would be amusing) And yes, that is Newgrounds in the background. NG4LIFE!

Diy Toy Gallery

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-11-29 21:02:07

At 11/29/07 07:18 PM, squidium wrote: 'toy' is a little to narrow of terms to make a thread, unless of course, you where including all miniatures in that scheme as well (warhammer?)(models that arn't necessarily toys?)

or am I just being a nazi...

Yes, you're being a nazi!

Include what you want. Miniatures, mini statues, mini busts...bigger busts. Please. Please include busts.

By the by, here is the original drawing for the concept. It helps if you look at the drawing while painting. *shrug*

Diy Toy Gallery

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-12-01 20:57:12

from concept to creation.

Here's another I've been working on.

Diy Toy Gallery

Where the humor lives...

Response to Diy Toy Gallery 2007-12-01 21:00:13

and the resulting toy.. I, WZLs rule

Diy Toy Gallery

Where the humor lives...