00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirko99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!!

3,164 Views | 37 Replies

I have researched this topic, and I know this from personal experience. Here is my 2 cents.

Everyone knows about iPods... Everyone has one. I have had 4 over the years. Yes. 4. Do you know why? It was the exact same problem each time! ONE OF THE EARS "BROKE." I mean, no sound played at all through that side.

It starts with static, and eventually you can only hear from one ear. Happened three times to me. Turns out I'm not the only one. Google searches bring up... questionable data...

Various iPod models: failure of right earbud/earphone (#2) - MacFixIt
This was a great link.

Here are some reports:
Kevin Barre writes:

"I absolutely have had the problem show up with my 8-year-old son's 1st generation Shuffle other than a dead right headphone. Until I read this story I had assumed that he had just blown the speaker, which is really silly, since I have always limited the volume on his Shuffle since the first day I gave it to him."

Dave O'Connor writes:

"It happened to me too, I use custom in ear headphones so it isn't the volume. I am currently on my second set and the right ear is going on these now. Thought I was losing my mind."'

Anyse Joslin writes:

"In my third generation 40G iPod, my original earplugs died in a few months (right earplug). After that, I bought the upgraded, fit in your ear, headphones and the right one died a few months later. So, I bought a third one and it is still working today and it is the regular style headphone that normally comes with the older iPod."

An anonymous reader writes:

"The earbud problem confused me. I bought a set of Shure E2C earbuds because they sound great, and the cord is much thicker than all the other brands I tried. I have had 2 pairs fail on me, both losing sound on one side: the right side, with the same symptoms. I thought I was going deaf. I have both pairs stripped down to the TINY wires to somehow make them work again"

Look at all this, and more. Does this seem like something normal? What is causing this? Lets look at a bit more evidence.

5G 60GB iPod destroys right earphone - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge

That is a link to an ipod specific forum. If you take a quick glance through it, you find a number of suspicious items.

I got a 60gb Black 5g for christmas. the stock earphones it came with worked good for a bit and then the right one did blow. this is amazing...i diddnt think anything of it but now that i see this, i hope the new ones i bought dont go to #####...

Wow, I thought i'm the only one with this problem. My iPod is 5G 30gb, same problem occurs with my right earbud!!!
(the weird part is the left side seems to work just fine)

Same thing happened to me with my old 4G, the SOB killed 4 pairs of headphones. One being the stocks, 2 being the apple in-ear, and the latter being the sony ex71sl. I hope this isnt an issue with my new 5G 60gb, its a real pain in the butt.
Those are all quotes from that forum. This last quote intrigued me the most, though.

yup. same thing happened here. luckily i had an old shuffle that the buds didn't get busted up and those are ok now but i want to know how would i go about contacting apple about this. i tried going to apple.com and clicking contact us but all i got was a bunch of stuff trying to get you to avoid emailing them.

So, Apple is trying to get you to avoid emailing them? No information is available on the Apple site about this problem, I would know, I checked. So what do I think is the issue?

Apple designs the iPods to break!

The only explanation. Apple is such a greedy, faggoted company, that they design their iPods to break your headphones.

Still don't believe me? Lets take a look at their warranty plan.

Here is a detailed PDF of what I am talking about.

"How long is my iPod covered by Apple's warranty?
Your iPod is covered for one year by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase ("date of purchase"). A $29.95 shipping and handling fee will apply to all warranty repairs performed 180 days after date of purchase. If you have purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod ("APP for iPod"), there will be no shipping and handling fee."

Read that. You get 12 months free with it. That seems reasonable. In fact, that seems NICE, almost. Well, what if you want more than 12 months. Then, you must buy the AppleCare Protection Plan. It is 60 dollars for an additional 2 years of support. Ok, that's fine and dandy. Well, I asked a representative at the store what happens after the 3 years are up. He said that you cannot get a warranty then.

Ok, so you have 3 years of use under warranty. After those 3 years, if something goes wrong, you're fucked. It made many have to buy new ipods, as they couldn't get them under warranty.

Now, lets piece together this puzzle. iPods break easily and its uncanny how common this single issue has become. Apple does not offer a warranty past 3 years...

Starting to see it? Apple KNOWINGLY put hardware that would break in their iPods!!! Otherwise, how would they make money? Some people's iPods would break, but with Apple, they need to buy a new one every 3 years! An even more ingenious part is how they get people to buy songs off of iTunes! You can only use these on iTunes, and iTunes is only compatible with iPods. Therefore, if people who bought music off of iTunes do not get an iPod, then they cannot listen! Apple is FORCING PEOPLE TO BUY NEW IPODS!!

I am being serious about this. We have a family friend who works in consumer fraud. I am reporting this incident to her, and hopefully we will be able to sue, or at least reveal something about Apple in public.

I hope you understand.

Discuss.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:25:17

the people in General will not understand, next time post in the politics forum.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:25:53

sweet...maybe ill bust my ipoop so i can get a free new one!

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:27:22

You're saying people are forced to buy a new iPod every 3 years and you've had 4 iPods already. Something doesn't add up. Also, buy new headphones when one of them breaks.

Also, I have a 5 year warranty which I bought for only $70NZD, which I think is about $50USD. It provides free repairs if the iPod breaks or a replacement if they cannot fix it.

There is nothing you can name that is more delicious and awesome than Subway.

I run on Mountain Dew.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:27:50

I don't have an ipod so I could never have discovered it, so GO GET EM!!!

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:28:37

my right earbud blew out too.

but, instead of being a whiny faggot, i bought a better pair of headphones.

don't worry, common sense will fall into your cycle of evolution one day.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:31:34

Fascist pig dogs.

I SUPPORT VINYL.

iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!!

I miss my old sig )=

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:31:49

Its not surprising. Not at all.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:32:25

At 11/24/07 09:28 PM, bigbadron wrote: my right earbud blew out too.

but, instead of being a whiny faggot, i bought a better pair of headphones.

don't worry, common sense will fall into your cycle of evolution one day.

I'm not using iPod earbuds. I am using a pair of headphones I bought at radioshack, a monster cable I bought at Best Buy, and I will soon be using a pair on Sennheiser HD280 Pros. The same ear does not work in each of these.

The reason I needed to get 4 ipods was because each one broke before it.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:32:56

One of the many reasons of why I won't get an iPod.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:34:40

At 11/24/07 09:32 PM, navij11 wrote: I'm not using iPod earbuds. I am using a pair of headphones I bought at radioshack, a monster cable I bought at Best Buy, and I will soon be using a pair on Sennheiser HD280 Pros. The same ear does not work in each of these.

I've had a pair of good old ten bucks Phillips headphones for countless months now. Stop your bitching.

I run on Mountain Dew.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:34:56

TLDR but the same thing happened to my PSP, regardless of what headphones I use.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:35:54

can you give me one?

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:36:13

At 11/24/07 09:34 PM, Rosenrot-I wrote: I've had a pair of good old ten bucks Phillips headphones for countless months now. Stop your bitching.

The headphones work. The iPod doesn't. It worked for about 6 months, and now it's dead.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:38:12

how long have you had yours for?

ive only had mine for about a year, works like brand new.

only problem is i got crap songs and only about 35 of em

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:39:05

At 11/24/07 09:36 PM, navij11 wrote:
At 11/24/07 09:34 PM, Rosenrot-I wrote: I've had a pair of good old ten bucks Phillips headphones for countless months now. Stop your bitching.
The headphones work. The iPod doesn't. It worked for about 6 months, and now it's dead.

I've had my iPod for over a year. I've dropped it, used it in freezing cold while snowboarding and I have never had problems with it.

I run on Mountain Dew.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:39:50

At 11/24/07 09:38 PM, THEFLYINGMONKEY wrote: how long have you had yours for?

ive only had mine for about a year, works like brand new.

only problem is i got crap songs and only about 35 of em

I've had mine for 5 months. I listen for at least an hour every day, and usually watch for about a half-hour each night. Sometimes it is more than that. I get a WHOLE LOT OF USE out of my iPod, so according to the gay Apple company, it should die faster.

At 11/24/07 09:35 PM, Kyothine wrote:
can you give me one?

No, I needed to give each one back so I could get a new one under warranty.

At 11/24/07 09:35 PM, klopatng wrote: A thought: Buy a different MP-fucking-3 player. Or if your looking for movies as well, get a Zune.

Can't. I've already invested in chargers and things, and my parents have too. They would be so pissed off if I decided to do that. I would, though, if I could.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:53:04

Guess what? I don't care! Because I don't have, or want one.

[vvvpoxpower says the truthvvv]--[ANGRY FAIC]

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:53:49

At 11/24/07 09:53 PM, Axius wrote: Guess what? I don't care! Because I don't have, or want one.

*high fives*

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 21:54:48

At 11/24/07 09:53 PM, Laughingbox wrote:
At 11/24/07 09:53 PM, Axius wrote: Guess what? I don't care! Because I don't have, or want one.
*high fives*

Yes, high fives all arownd.

I miss my old sig )=

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:07:33

I just got the new iPod Touch, and I use $50 Sony headphones, which I've been using a good few months, and I find none of the same problem.

But with my Nano, I went through at least over 5 pairs of headphones, all resulting in the the blowing out of one side (I can never remember which side, but probably... right). So I can definitely relate to your pain.

That's a brand name, and I stand behind it 100%

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:16:09

Actually, my earphones for my shuffle worked for two years until my right ear bud blew out too.
Weird isn't it, my left was actually fully functional.
But I don't see how you needed 4 iPods, I still have my shuffle and its fully functional. Actually, now I have a video, and there earphones lasted a year for me. I'm actually getting new earphones tomorrow.
I'm not sure if its a conspiracy, but there earphones don't last so greatly.

But I doubt the iPod has an effect on earphones, maybe apple's earphones suck, but the iPods don't create and effect.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:28:53

At 11/24/07 10:16 PM, americanidiot2f wrote: But I don't see how you needed 4 iPods, I still have my shuffle and its fully functional. Actually, now I have a video, and there earphones lasted a year for me. I'm actually getting new earphones tomorrow.

The sound didn't work, no matter what pair of headphones I used. It was definitely the iPod, not the headphones.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:32:43

You know, I've been wondering that for a while myself.
Not only is it a conspiracy, but iPod headphones in general suck

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:35:27

My ipod earphones still work. If they did break... I'd just buy a generic brand of earphones for 10 bucks, not buy a brand new ipod...

bro at me come

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:40:50

my famley has bought 5 ipods in only a few years. only one works. I bought the best buy 3 year warrenty but it voided because i dropped it. i thought this is what warrenties are for

what can I say

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:41:29

At 11/24/07 10:35 PM, Lagatag wrote: My ipod earphones still work. If they did break... I'd just buy a generic brand of earphones for 10 bucks, not buy a brand new ipod...

No, no, the iPods broke, along with the headphones. They refused to play music out of one ear, despite me using a different set of headphones.

I didn't BUY 4 iPods, I received them because I got lucky, and was still under warranty.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 22:47:29

At 11/24/07 09:21 PM, navij11 wrote: An even more ingenious part is how they get people to buy songs off of iTunes! You can only use these on iTunes, and iTunes is only compatible with iPods. Therefore, if people who bought music off of iTunes do not get an iPod, then they cannot listen! Apple is FORCING PEOPLE TO BUY NEW IPODS!!

Firstly, you don't have to buy an iPod. You can listen to it on your iTunes (and five other iTunes, or whatever), so you could quite easily listen to it at home, then listen to it on your laptop at work, or whatever.

Secondly, due to popular demand, earlier this year (i think), they started adding DRM-free mp3s onto iTunes music store.

Thirdly, Apple aren't forcing people to buy off iTunes. Anyone can stop using iTunes Store at ANY point and use a different vendor.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 23:52:45

At 11/24/07 10:40 PM, CHRlST wrote: 1. How do you know some opposing company (No idea who, don't care either) wrote all that shit?

I have multiple sources, one has a possibility of that, the other is a forum, so it's obviously not a company.

2. What possible charge could you possibly sue them for?

I think there are laws against intended failure of a product, and I bet it would fall under false advertising.

3. Fail

Win.

Response to iPod Earbud Failure - Conspiracy!! 2007-11-24 23:58:21

Apple and Microsoft both have their failures so nobody can trust either of them. Apple has faulty iPods and Microsoft has faulty XBox 360s. Who do we turn to?

Sony?