00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

help me with darkness

826 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

help me with darkness 2007-09-19 10:49:33

umm what sites got good free dark sounding sampling sounds?

i want stuff like haunting sounds and music boxes.

or anything that sounds creepy,spooky,horror like...

im being serious about this.

does FL have any of those above?

i love pink

Response to help me with darkness 2007-09-19 11:44:53

At 9/19/07 10:49 AM, curruptedshadow wrote: does FL have any of those above?

3xOsc can generate alla those. Try it out!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to help me with darkness 2007-09-19 18:26:24

Look at my music for one thing, and just use low notes.

Response to help me with darkness 2007-09-20 18:30:39

At 9/19/07 06:02 PM, Nithalahk wrote: If you're having touble with darkness, try a flashlight.

Haha, candles are good too.

Anyways...pretty much any sound sample in FL can be used for morbid/dark stuff. I love that shit. You just have to pick out...the creepy stuff, then maybe pitch it down, stretch it out...you'd be suprised the cool shit you can end up with. DARKNESS FTW.

FruityLoops has was what you need. But if you want something done as an intro or something, maybe I could help you out.

BBS Signature

Response to help me with darkness 2007-09-20 18:42:17

ya might wanna consider making your own. there are plenty of free looping tools out there on the internet waiting to be run. thats the best way to make your own "dark" loops.

Response to help me with darkness 2007-09-20 18:52:11

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/9 7304

I uploaded this one just for you buddy. The emotion you choose to convey really has nothing to do with the way your samples sound, sure it can enhance things, but really, you can make dark sounding stuff with flutes and a xylophone.

If I were you, I would focus on your chord progressions, you should study some classics like Barber's Adagio for Strings, or even Holst's Mars. Making shit dark would obviously involve a very simple chord progression, probably going down the scale for an added effect. Stay in the minor key, and use lots of 5ths and seconds. Stay away from 4ths unless your looking for a very... John Williams... 50's villain sound. If you choose to move the progression upwards, as I did in that track above, you should sort of power slam on that. I would consider Poledouris's score for "Starship Troopers" very dark, not because of the way it cosmetically sounds, but because of the brooding brass and sheer unstoppable power of some of the themes and movements.

But yeah, if you'r just looking to make a scary horror sound, just throw a bunch of distortion, lots of reverb to invoke kind of a falling concept, and some delays that kind of linger and make notes seem slightly out of place. Like what was posted above, time stretch, and in a sense, ruin your melodys with heavy heavy distortion. Hating4AM has some stuff you might be interested in listening to.

The same concepts of film sort of apply to a horror song. If I were attack that concept, I would wait on using your subs untill like halfway through the song... and make them kick hard when they come in, you know, apply the concept of scaring to your music. You can make up some great chords if you just take a classic 1 3 5 set up in a minor key, and just experiment with those notes at different octaves, pull out some arco strings and throw them at C7 playing A and B together, and automate their volume levels seperatley to get that screeching horror sound. Even better, do that and automatee their EQ so the kind of pulse at different freq's periodically.

Uhh... there's some ideas.