00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

harkhan71 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Movie Viewers Association

65,593 Views | 1,032 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-10 04:03:35

hello!

welcome old and newcomers.

well i managed one film called Boiling Point staring wesley snipes, dennis hopper and a young Aragon (sorry can't remember his name lol). anywho its about a criminal who gets outta jail (Dennis Hopper), has to pay some old buddies off with the help of Aragon but in the process kills a friend of copper Wesley Snipes who has seven days to catch the killer and Dennis Hopper has seven days to pay of his buddy. Sounds good right? well lets just say it coulda been done better, i like Dennis Hopper and this role wasn't for him, he tried way to hard in this, Aragon bearly had any lines he just kinda stared and grunted, the only saving grace was wesley snipes. don't bother unless ur having trouble sleeping.

next on the list is Passenger 57 which i have never seen all the way through.

anywho until next time

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-12 18:01:11

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone's week has been good.

I watched eight movies over a three day period. I saw Flying High or as it's known in the 'States, Airplane. I also saw Igby Goes Down, Scarface: Shame of a Nation (1932) and Team America: World Police. The next day I watched Ed Wood and The Score. Then yesterday it was The Incredibles and Blazing Saddles.

I'll start from the beginning.

Flying High (or Airplane) was uproariously funny and had some great set pieces as well as spitting out witty lines at a consistently high rate. It also did great work with literal meaning jokes and misunderstandings (eg. 'There's a problem in the cockpit. What is it?' 'Well it's an area at the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important'). But it is not without many sight gags, which makes this neccessary viewing.

Igby Goes Down was a great movie, although the main character was hard to sympathise with and really was quite annoying. It's strong cast gave it an edge of realism which it needed, see it if you don't have anything else to do but don't go out of your way.

Scarface: Shame of a Nation was fantastic. My favourite black and white serious movie , but I'll admit I haven't seen that many. Acieving nearly the sam results as the nearly double length remake, with not a single drop of screen blood. That's not to say there aren't any deaths though. As this was made around the same time as Al Capone reign, it is noted at the beginning of the movie that it was made in response to the government lack of action. Interesting to note, is one of the gangsters in this movie was father to Anthony Perkins ie. Norman Bates, in Psycho.

Team America: World Police, this was just so funny, it's hard to put to words. Minute details come into play here, from the croissant shaped pavers in France to the Star Wars rip off bar. I must note though, I don't really get offended, and am pretty much neutral politically so it didn't affect me but I'm sure it will others. Also contains what may be the funniest sex scene of all time.

This movie was truely extraordinary, Ed Wood is about Edward D. Wood Jr. the legendarily bad director creator of such 'classics' as Plan 9 From Outer Space and Glen or Glenda. Tim Burton's , who was the director, quirkiness is obvious throughout and all the performances are top notch in particular Johnny Depp's as Ed Wood, and Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi which earned him a Academy Award.

Like Ocean's Eleven, The Score relies heavily on it's A-list cast (Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Marlon Brando) to pull it through. But unlike it's former, it was not very good. OE was fun, and an entertaining couple of hours. The Score is not boring, but it was so generic it was stuffed from the words 'This is my last heist' uttered by Robert De Niro's character Nick.

Pixar have done it again, The Incredibles was an action packed entertainer. As a comedy it wasn't as strong as other Pixar films, but it made up for that and then some with great chases, suberb visual, some graphics, good voices and not too much of the family sentimentality that it could of filled up on.

Mel Brooks, is a very funnny man, who, the large majority of the time, makes very funny movies. Blazing Saddles was a great movie, it doesn't go on too long, it is has memorable dialogue ('What in the wide, wide world of sports?!'), epic set pieces (The studio fight at the end) and funny characters (in particular- Mongo, the governor and the old lady). Taking the piss out of many western movies and contemporary (well contemporary when it was made 30 years ago) topics. It is littered with the N-word but is neccessary to show the hate towards the coloured railway workers and sheriff.

Oh and babydumdum, you were right Lemony Snicket was very Tim Burton-ish and a good film too

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-15 22:50:20

Hello once again movie viewers ^_^, I've been watching some films during the past week, but nothing really impressive. My last review about "Dodgeball" was quite negative, so I'm going to be more lightened up today.
Some films I'd like to talk about would be Collateral, and The Last Samurai. Oh, joy, I saw two films with Tom Cruise lately. I personally do not like Tom Cruise so much, but he has been in some great films over the past year, like Vanilla Sky, Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut and Mission Impossible. Now, getting to the films.

Collateral was one of the most supreme films I ever saw last year. Directed by Michael Mann, (Ali, The Insider) the entire storyline is done in one action-passed night, where a taxi driver (Jaime Foxx) picks up a hit-man called Vincent (Tom Criuse) and then they go through an entire event where people are killed, escapes are attempted, and madness is put in the whole tale.
I must say that it was incredibly well filmed, ether by helicopers, inside buildings, or around wide avenues. The musicparts is also a main element in this film that defenetly arrives to expectator, even if mostly the entire film is silent. This is a film that I defenetly recommend to you all, it was just... amazing.
Now, instead about saying what I thought of The Last Samurai, I'm going tell what I thought of another film I saw: The Pianist. It is defenetly a powerful film (not as powerful as Schindler's List, but it still has an effect with huge matter). Roman Polanski (the amazing director of Chinatown), directed this film, showing how a pianist, and a survivor of the Holocaust, Wladyslaw Szpilman (Adrien Brody) [whom is a incredible actor] runs for his survival in years from the city of Warsaw, to abandoned, burned houses. The film shows shocking images of violance and terrible events that startle the audience second by second ( that would explain here, but you have to watch the film to understand what I'm saying). Most of the filmed spots and special effects are 5-star, and it is a sad, yet impressive film. I also recommend this film, whoever hasn't seen it.
I'll be viewing more films later!

HTML I may use: bold italic underline

BBS Signature

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-17 04:40:12

hello!

well i saw one film this weekend, King Arthur , i got it on loan from my boss.

anywho, this film was pretty good, but it reminded me of Braveheart too much. its kinda scary watching the film knowing where my roots may have come from, no wonder i'm evil lol. anyway, if like me you can get a free rental then watch it but don't put your foot out for it. i'd prefer to watch pirates of the carribean over that. i am giving it a thumbs up though, just for the fact its mostly an english film lol.

i really wanna see world police now the advert made me laugh. but as usual time is short if only i didn't have to work

tata for now

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-19 02:58:24

At 1/12/05 06:01 PM, LordRobbo wrote: This movie was truely extraordinary, Ed Wood is about Edward D. Wood Jr. the legendarily bad director creator of such 'classics' as Plan 9 From Outer Space and Glen or Glenda.

Ed Wood? Yeah, I saw that too. Unfortunately, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it as you are. I actually found it a little bland, with only a few memorable lines and Landau completely carrying the film. Of course, it might just be that I have certain expectations of Burton that weren't satisfied while watching the movie. Or it might just be that I had a great night with my girlfriend right afterwards. Anything would seem bland compared to that. In any case, tonight I come to you all with another ten movies under my belt; five good, four not-bad and one terrible. Five of them were also listed, bringing me up to now having seen 110/250 listed movies. I'm making my way up there pretty quickly. If gfoxcook even cared, I'd tell him to watch his back. God, I love that guy. Kinda wish he'd drop in more often.

I feel like doing things a little differently than before tonight so I'm going to start with the terrible and work my way up. Anyone remember a movie from 1999 called Sugar Town about the LA music scene? No? I don't either. I've seen episodes of "Survivor" that were better written than this and that's a reality show. So much for my plan of learning more about film by selecting movies at random and watching them. I still have one sitting upstairs. Desert Blue, it's called. Chances are, you've never heard of that one either. You'll hear all about it in my next post. But really, Sugar Town's like that obnoxious uncle that shows up at every party. Thinks he's funny, but really isn't. Now, into the not-bad's. This first one here was something a friend recommended to me. Something he said hit him on a spiritual level. Just saying the title makes it sound like I'm speaking in tongues: Koyaanisqatsi. Not so much a movie as just a series of images thrown together to a score by Philip Glass, all with a common theme that "we are destroying our planet with technology". It's definitely different. Fascinating in its own way, just -- in my opinion -- not interesting enough to warrant a 90-minute long film. The second one here was Citizen Kane. Yes, I know it's a classic, and yes, I know it's #11 on my precious list, but I just feel that the first hour is straight exposition. There's no real insight into Kane's character until the last half of the movie. Yet at the same time, the last half is some of the best filmmaking I have ever seen. It's just all the longueurs in the first hour that keep me from adding this to my list of the five good movies I have here. But we'll get to those in a minute. Ed Wood, I've already talked about, so that brings us to Gattaca. Not life-changing but right up there with Minority Report as my choice for the best sci-fi movie made in the past ten years.

Now, into what I think are the better films! First off, it should be obvious why I love King Kong. So cheesy, but so entertaining. I just don't know if I can take Fay Wray screaming anymore. I mean, she sounds like she's getting raped by the damn thing. Thank God Fanny and Alexander was much quieter. Then again, it's Bergman. You come to expect that. I actually came to see this on the big screen over at the Pacific Cinémathèque downtown and it's now my favourite Bergman film. Much more comedic than the other 90% of his work, Fanny and Alexander tells the story of two children's lives after the death of their father. No really, the movie's funnier than the synopsis lets on. Back in 1982 when this film was made, it won Oscars for Best Foreign Film, Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography. It's not a feel-good movie by any means, but it is consistently entertaining. The subject matter tends to get a little heavy though. Just a word to the wise. Good film #3 tonight goes to Woody Allen's Annie Hall, the winner for Best Picture back in 1977. Easily Allen's best film and the smartest romantic comedy to date. Totally reminds me of me and my girlfriend though. Might be the reason I'm so in love with it. It might also be because Allen's also a huge Bergman fan and decided to throw in a few of his old trademarks, such as the whole walking-through-your-past thing that pays homage to Wild Strawberries. I'm looking to actually buy a copy of Annie Hall these days. Think I saw one on sale a few days ago. Just might pick it up. Speaking of things I've picked up, Hedwig and the Angry Inch has just been added to my DVD collection as it is now my third favourite movie of all time. Best rock musical on the face of the planet. I don't even want to say any more for fear of ruining it. Suffice it to say, it is one of the most moving, funny and genuinely enthralling movies I have ever seen. I got myself a copy for $34.99 plus tax. It's worth it. As long as you don't let the picture below put you off it. And finally, Fellini's City of Women. Hysterical all the way through, but it comes off as being a little sexist. Surreal and Daliesque in only the way Fellini can be, the masturbatory aid that the protagonist is introduced to halfway through the movie alone makes the film worth watching. It's almost smut for intellectuals. Just don't expect it to be too intellectually stimulating.

Guess I'm off to bed now so I can watch Desert Blue tomorrow with you-know-who. Hopefully, it'll be better than Sugar Town. I doubt it though. Desert Blue was directed by a Morgan J. Freeman, the same "filmmaker" that gave us that completely unnecessary American Psycho sequel that went straight to video back in 2002. If all goes well tomorrow, the movie will seem bland. Good or bad. See you all sometime next month. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to post in the next two weeks. Finals are keeping me nice and busy. Later, moviegoers.

(Scene from "Hedwig and the Angry Inch", 2001)

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-19 20:39:09

At 1/19/05 02:58 AM, biteme2514 wrote: Good film #3 tonight goes to Woody Allen's Annie Hall, the winner for Best Picture back in 1977.

I saw that recently, great movie. Is Melinda and Melinda out in America yet?

Battleship Potemkin was a stunning film, made before sound in films was around, it is one of the, if not the, best silent films I have seen. Great camera work and great tension play a major part in this success, although the story is good, based on a true story. If you have seen The Untouchables the pram bit nnear the end comes from this movie.

Bye for now I'll write more later

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-24 05:32:13

hello

i finnaly saw the whole of Passenger 57 and i suppose during its day it was the best but it wasn't anything special, just glad i saw it all the way through. i think they could've made it better in so many ways, no doubt there will probably be a remake since it seems thats all that is in line at the moment. i then started to watch The Negotiator , one of my fav films, definatly have to get that at some point.

anywho that all for now, my film watching has pretty much slowed, but i am going to try and get it up again. although i'm slightly engrossed with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within so once i finish it (which should be in about a years time lol) i can start watching films again.

tata for now

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-26 12:41:29

Is this Movie Viewers association free for anyone to join??

I think i'd better write a review anyway.
The last Movie i saw was Citizen Kane (1941) , considered to be one of the greatest classics of all time.
When i first started to watch i had no idea what it was about, all i knew was that it has been praised by critics since it was made. It is about one man (Charles Kane) and how he became one of the richest people in america. However it tells this story as flashbacks from people who knew the deceased Kane. I can understand why this is a classic, at the time most things done would have been new and original. However it must have been ripped off over time, so much that to watch it now you will see nothing new stylewise. I would also say that the story compared to modern films is fairly slow, but dont let that put you off.

I would probably not rank it as high as #11 on imdb, but it would be up high on my list.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-28 02:41:35

Hazaa- 250th post.

First off, Congratulations on your Level 12'edness babydumdum and which platform are you playing PoP: WW on?

Ok, on with the movies. I recently saw a restored version of Frederico Fellini's class film La Strada (The Road) which was being shown again at a theatre inside a university. A brilliant film which many people have found very sad and depressing, I didn't find it too bad but don't watch if you're not feeling good. It won the 1954 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film (Italy), it won the Silver Lion at the Venice FIlm Festival and was nominated for the Golden Lion. One of those movies which words cannot do just justice to the plot. But if you see it on Video, DVD or if it's being shown in cinemas near you check it out.

More movies to review, not enough time now.

I'll post soon, I hope everyone has a good weekend

Bye

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-31 11:08:14

thanks rob, didn't even notice the lvl 12 lol. i'm upto the garden tower past, not bad for me, i usually get fed up easily but i am a huge fan of the prince of persia stuff. i blame my bf lol.

anywho that's the reason y i didn't get around to see any films, however one of my fav films The Green Mile was on yesterday but i was too tired to stay up and watch it. i'm such a wimp when it comes to that film, its embarrasing lol.

however i have just seen the end of Battlestar Galatica (tv series) and i love it, and i've just started watching season 3 of 24 even though season 4 has started too, oh well just have to avoid all adverts regarding it lol.

anywho tata for now

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-01-31 11:25:31

Two reviews:
Pulp Fiction:
This one is a classic, convoluted storytelling aside, this movie is rather accessable and entertaining, the skit style sequences also add suspence to this rather funny, yet gory film, Tarantino's first really popular film, he himself having a cameo near the end after the infamous "I didn't shoot him, you hit a bump and the gun fired off!" sequence with Phil Lamar as the guy who's head gets blown off, The Golden Watch bit made me laugh myself stupid,
9.5/10
Napoleon Dynamite:
I really liked this one, very obscure, it will annoy the hell out of ppl, but I really found it poignant if totally stupid, the DVD is a worthy investment, featuring some funny TV spots, a great epilogue and the original black and white version of the film with an alternate storyline, including a scene at a convience store, which brought back just the slightest memories of Clerks,
10/10
Off to see more flicks, I shall return,
P.S
I'm now reviewing on IMDb as Kirk_Cocaine, I spoil a lot so be careful of my reviews, see y'all!

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-02 19:21:49

At 1/28/05 02:41 AM, LordRobbo wrote: Ok, on with the movies. I recently saw a restored version of Frederico Fellini's class film La Strada (The Road).

You mean Federico Fellini's classic film, La Strada. I'm sure none of his Italian filmmaker friends called him Fred for short. That's one of the Fellini ones I still need to get around to watching though. I'm so ashamed. Can you believe I haven't yet seen not only La Strada but also 8½ as well? What can I say. My library doesn't carry a copy of 8½ that isn't a dodgy old VHS tape and as far as I know, they don't have a copy of La Strada at all. Maybe one of these days, I'll just go out and buy them. They're Fellini; I'm sure they'll be a worthy investment.

Anyways, I only have one more Provincial before I'm home free for a long weekend. But that, naturally, means I'm going to have to study like a madman. Especially seeing as how it's a Chemistry Provincial and it's not one of my better subjects. Still though, that's tomorrow and I have all night ahead of me. I'll be glad to finally get it out of the way. I've been preparing for it since my last post in here two weeks ago. But miraculously, I was able to find enough time to tear through ten more films. (Four listed, but one appears to have been kicked off, so I'm now sitting at having seen 113/250 of them.) And once I'm done with the Provincial tomorrow, I'll have much more time for them. So, let us dive right in.

Remember that Desert Blue flick I was talking about? Well, it turned out quite well. One of those films that must have bombed at the box office, but didn't deserve to. On the surface, it really just seems like another unnecessary teen romance movie, but this one, at the very least, was original in nothing else but the peculiar storyline. The World's Largest Ice Cream Cone, chemical spills and water parks in the middle of the desert (sans water) all play an integral part in moving the story along. I kind of see it as the Garden State of 1998. A decent teen romance in an era dominated by terrible ones. You'll never find it, but if you can, it deserves a chance. I also saw the 1966 classic, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and loved every second of it. Scathingly, acerbically poignant and exceedingly well-directed by none other than Closer's Mike Nichols, it's required viewing for anyone interested in film. Or plays, for that matter. Anyone interested in animation, however, would find The Triplets of Belleville to be required viewing. Seamless blending of 3-D and traditional 2-D animation to create one of the best cartoon films since the halcyon years of Disney. Film #4 was one of those films that simply exuded excellence, only to fall apart right at the very end. But that is not to say that About Schmidt was a bad movie. Rather, I find it to be one of the more intriguing character studies I've seen since I watched Wild Strawberries. I just think -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one -- that the last five minutes of the film could have been much more effective if Alexander Payne could have toned it down just a bit at the end. It's too easy to use things like a child's drawing to elicit emotional responses from an audience. I felt almost cheated. Yet it's still a movie worth watching. It still gets my recommendation to you all. Oh, and I finally got around to watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I liked Snatch so I loved this one. Especially the scene at the end. Perfect ending to a near-perfect movie.

The Station Agent was my sixth this time around and I must say, I was expecting more. After watching it, I couldn't help thinking that it was just another one of those films that garnered so much praise just because of the different choice of protagonist. No other film has been made with a midget in the lead role and I believe that may have played a part in how well it was received. Just like how Monster was critically-acclaimed because the protagonist was, simply put, unattractive and how Better Luck Tomorrow scored great reviews all around because no other American film has an all-Asian cast. The Station Agent was nothing spectacular. For a minimalist plot -- no pun intended -- they may have needed to think a little bigger. A little after that, I was able to catch the original 1975 version of The Stepford Wives. Infinitely better than the 2004 remake. And still as relevant now as it was back then. I loved it too. You can still catch me quoting certain lines from it around my friends. After that, I added a DVD copy of West Side Story to my collection and watched that as well. The 1961 Best Picture Oscar speaks for itself. Never have I felt so compelled to dance after a movie. It's dangerous, I tells ya. Then yesterday, I found the time to watch the original 1962 Manchurian Candidate. That one's better than the 2004 remake too. One of the few political thrillers that managed to hold my attention for the entire two hours. Parts of it really struck me on an emotional level. It really is one of the best films of the 60's. Oh, and I just watched Michelangelo Antonioni's L'Avventura. He's like the slightly less bizarre Fellini. L'Avventura is, in many ways, a lot like La Dolce Vita. Both have to do with the idle rich, both have to do with what happens when one gets obsessed with the high life and both speculate on the many meanings of love. For some strange reason though, looking back on these two films, I enjoyed L'Avventura more. Maybe because the ending just makes so much more sense to me, I don't know. I plan on checking out more Antonioni though. If I'm not mistaken, the library just so happens to have an old VHS copy of Blowup. Well, wish me luck on my test.

(Scene from "West Side Story", 1961)

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-03 00:29:45

At 2/2/05 07:21 PM, biteme2514 wrote: You mean Federico Fellini's classic film, La Strada.

Would explain why people glared at me when I referred to him as Ol' Freddy.

Oh and you mentioned the Triplets of Belleville I reviewed that a page or two back saying it was the best animated movie I had seen. It really was excellent wasn't it? I've seen it four or five times now. And it's still great

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 05:49:55

I saw After The Sunset last Friday.

If there weren't half naked women walking around for no reason, Salma Hayek was making out with Pierce Brosnan for no reason or Woody Harrelson was spouting out nigh on homoerotic dialogue... for no reason. Seriously, there was an underwater chase scene where Woody Harrelson announced to Perice Brosnan that 'The FBI always get their man'.

But aside from the predictable plot, mediocre acting and many plot holes it had some positives.

The campy dialogue was entertaning, the Bahamas looked great (particularly the hotel on Paradise island, $1 billion US dollars made it happen). The stupid plot also raised some laughs from me , which is why I like Ed Wood movies.

It's summer here, so it was a good way to escape the heat, but if you see it, don't think about it too much

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 06:05:16

LET ME JOIN

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 06:10:54

I don't know Chris, first you may have to put some damn pants on.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 06:12:47

My lack of pants is what makes me SPECIAL!!!!!!

cock

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 06:16:31

yea after the sunset was good purely because nothing else good is out atm (in australia).
then again not many things coming out at the movies are good anymore

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 06:27:23

Now that that is settled. I saw The Incredibles for the second time today. It is now my third favourite animated movie and my favourite three dimensional animated movie.

I also watched Ed Wood again. I still think it's just such a perfectly acted, interesting funny movie. It's nice to see how Ed Wood came to make such crappy movies.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-06 09:31:55

At 2/6/05 06:27 AM, LordRobbo wrote: Now that that is settled. I saw The Incredibles for the second time today. It is now my third favourite animated movie and my favourite three dimensional animated movie.

Incredibles is a great movie, but Shrek and Shrek 2 are defintiley my top 2 besides Toy Story. Shrek is ingenious, who the hell could come up with a giant green oger and make him loveable? It's fantastic.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-07 00:31:59

I really enjoyed the first Shrek, well the first time I saw it anyway.
But the second didn't raise a chuckle out of me. It was an over advertised and overpraised in my opinion, and, as Dreamworks often does, cough*Shark's Tale*cough, tries to use star actors to bring in crowds. I find generally Pixar's work much more clever, funnier and better animated then Dreamworks.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-07 08:36:14

At 2/6/05 06:27 AM, LordRobbo wrote: Now that that is settled. I saw The Incredibles for the second time today. It is now my third favourite animated movie and my favourite three dimensional animated movie.

Yea! I agree!

I also watched Ed Wood again. It's nice to see how Ed Wood came to make such crappy movies.

Wahoo!
Good question, why did Ed Wood make all this shit?

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-08 00:59:00

At 2/7/05 08:36 AM, CoachDante wrote: Good question, why did Ed Wood make all this shit?

He just wanted to tell stories he found interesting, but had no money or funding to create them. Want more detail? See Ed Wood

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-12 17:15:17

Damn. I haven't seen such a massive influx of noobs since I was one myself. Sorry, I don't mean to sound elitist or anything. It's just that it's been a while since this thread has received much attention from people who aren't already regular contributors here. Welcome to you all, I guess. Just think before you post and all should be fine. Like you, GoldLingo. Watch yourself.

By the way, I think afMatT is onto something here about no good movies coming out in theatres anymore. I still haven't seen a single 2005 release and it's already February. The only times I go to the theatre now is when something classic is playing. For instance, tonight, I'm going out to catch a little Roy Andersson. Bergman considers him the best ad filmmaker ever, but his feature films are supposed to be great too, even if he only made three. I'm going to go see his latest one tonight. More in my next post about it. But about the films I've seen since last time, this post is going to be a little shorter than the rest. I've only managed to watch seven new ones in the last little while. (Three listed, but Adaptation got kicked off, bringing me to 115/250 listed movies.)

So, who here likes David Lynch? I just added one of his masterworks to my DVD collection from all the way back in 1986. I'm already resisting the urge to sing the title out instead of just typing it: Blue Velvet. It's kind of intense at times, but all throughout the movie, there's a distinct sense of dark humour at play. Everything else in a scene can be tense, but in the background, there's always someone dancing, someone singing. It's always surreal, but at the same time, the subject matter is so genuine, you can't ignore it. I picked this movie up as a complete steal for only $9.99 Canadian, and I just know I'm going to be watching it again and again. Dennis Hopper pulls off a simply bravura performance as Frank Booth. Best movie villain ever, I'm telling you. After watching that, I then managed to catch Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita. Brilliantly stylish action in a way that the Americans would never be able to pull off. Besson's my favourite action director now. A few days after that, in a total turnaround, I got my hands on The Deer Hunter at the local library. Not a bad movie -- the pacing of the film leaves a little to be desired though -- and now, after having seen it, I have renewed respect for Christopher Walken. The final scene of the film was one of the most moving in all of American film history and if anyone else were playing Nick, I don't think it would have worked. Walken, I salute you. And you too, Paul Newman. Newman's The Hustler is the best billiards movie ever made, hands down. Flawless acting, unquestionable talent and none of that borderline catatonic "emotional" staring that seemed to dominate Cool Hand Luke. If you're into pool, I highly recommend this movie. Actually, if you're really into pool, I recommend buying it.

The fifth movie I saw this time was a total disappointment. They said that Mean Creek was 2004's answer to Stand By Me. But having watched Mean Creek now, I'm becoming more and more certain that Mean Creek didn't even know what the question was. The acting, however, was dead on. I just had trouble with two things. Number one, I just couldn't take Scott Mechlowicz seriously in this film after watching him in Eurotrip last year. Number two, the script blows. It's predictable, there's an entire homophobic edge to the dialogue that I feel should have been explored and the ending was another hackneyed attempt to make the audience empathize with a character that doesn't deserve it at all. In the end, I just felt cheated. Of my time and of my money, seeing as how my girlfriend got me to rent it. Don't bother, friends. You're better off watching Stand By Me again. See, this is why I prefer to get my movies free from the library. Even if you do end up wasting your time with it, you'll still have some money in your pocket. And when you get a great movie, you'll feel better knowing you paid nothing for it. Like when I watched L.A. Confidential the other day, finally. It's funny: It plays out like film noir, but the stark lighting always serves to remind you that you're watching a blatantly Hollywood movie. As far as sheer entertainment goes, you can't beat this as a popcorn flick. This is probably one of the best movies of the 90's. Hell, to many, this film defines the films of the 90's. The seventh and last film I saw this time around was a 1959 French film shot in Japan by none other than Alain Resnais: Hiroshima mon amour, an eloquently poetic film about the forgetfulness of love. One of those films that really speaks to you, whether you open yourself up to it or not. A Japanese love story that constantly reminded me of Lost In Translation, Hiroshima mon amour is the work of a true auteur.

And with that, I'm out of here. I'm going to spend the rest of today getting all my work out of the way so I can spend Valentine's Day with my girlfriend in peace. Taking her out to this funky little restaurant called The Orange Room. Oh, and just to let you guys know, I just got off revisiting an old favourite film of mine: The Virgin Suicides. Has anyone here seen it? If so, what did you think? I'll be back to discuss it in a few days. Until then, Happy Valentine's Day.

(Scene from "The Virgin Suicides", 1999)

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-12 19:09:05

can i join

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-12 21:37:39

At 2/12/05 05:15 PM, biteme2514 wrote: I'm already resisting the urge to sing the title out instead of just typing it: Blue Velvet.

Haven't seen it but I won it a year or two ago on DVD, so I may have a look. And see, L.A. Confidential kicks serious ass, only won two Academy Awards (Best adapted screenplay, and bestsupporting actress (Kim Basinger) ).

It and Goodfellas are my favourite films of the 90's although The Matrix is pretty high up

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-13 04:50:39

At 2/12/05 07:09 PM, sundaycomics wrote: can i join

Unless anyone else here has strong objections, I'm sure it's fine for you to join

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-18 19:10:52

Been pretty quiet here lately. Oh well, anywho I have finally submitted a movie to Newgrounds which you can access through my profile, leave a review.

I've been waiting for House of Flying Daggers to come out but I still haven't got round to seeing it yet. Not enough time and energy at the moment, now I'm justing hanging out for the holidays so I can get through many of the DVDs I have and haven't seen yet (Raging Bull is at the top of the list at the moment).

Oh and I mentioned winning Blue Velvet a year or two ago. We won that with a widescreen TV (96cm flatscreen), a DVD player, stand and 37 DVD's including Blue Velvet and Raging Bull.

Well on with the reviews. I saw The Spongeob Squarepants movie, and like the show I enjoyed. You can tell it was made (or heavily influenced) by the Ren and Stimpy people but it's still not quite as weird. To be honest during SBSP I laughed my ass off the cwhole way through, sure some of the jokes were childish but it was very enjoyable and it has possibly the best cameo in any movie ever. And the most unpredictable ending scene ever.

Well good day for now. And have a good weekend

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-19 12:15:54

Can I join??? Cse i rely like movies probably my 3rd fav subject after sport and video games.

Response to Movie Viewers Association 2005-02-20 17:20:10

I recently saw one of my personal least favorite movies of all time Battlefeild Earth. This has got to be the worst movie ever made next to Ishtar and Torque