00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Veiled just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Purchasing A Watermelon.

1,617 Views | 31 Replies

Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:10:38

I was working at my local green store, and just before closing time, a gentleman in is late 20's early 30's ran towards me and asked "Hey, where are the watermelons that are on sale right now???". I informed him that they weren't on sale right now. "That doesn't matter....where are they?" He replied.

I pointed him in the right direction, and he continued to run in that direction, found the watermelons and an expression of what can only be described as pure joy came across his
face.

....He was black.

But, unlike when I see photoshopped pictures or read bad jokes about the "wattymellons" and the people that seem to enjoy them the most, I felt sad and confused rather than amused. Had this man really submitted to the stereotype? Had I simply fallen for the stereotype that bad and become part racist myself? I'm still not really sure how I feel. Perhaps there is actually some truth in all those unfortunate jokes that I've previously laughed at.

there's a thread here on NG that is pure gold.

Does anyone else run into things like this? How do you feel when it happens?

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:12:45

THAT'S hilarious :D

not all caps :D

-- Leetkid

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:13:29

A ran into an asian who didn't know how to drive.

Rather he ran into me with his honda.

Grey power.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:13:35

Thats actually kinda funny. You should have gave him a grape soda point him towards the KFC and accept his food stamps.

never mind, your a racist.

water melons are just tasty. why can't a brother enjoy a water melon?

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:13:54

At 7/10/07 08:10 PM, Warrickneff wrote: submitted to the stereotype?

Almost every black person I see wears a big white shirt and baggy pants that aren't pulled up all the way, because for some reason, it isn't gay to show your panties to the world.

AMAZING

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:17:49

At 7/10/07 08:13 PM, PowerRangerYELLOW wrote:
water melons are just tasty. why can't a brother enjoy a water melon?

yeah, but do all of them? I love watermelons just as much as anyone. I even took two home with me at the end of my shift.

damn they were fucking taunting me all day.

But does anyone else feel uneasy? Perhaps it's because I should have laughed but didn't.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:27:14

We had to write emotion poems one day in English class. Like, what makes us happy/sad/scared/etc.

A black girl chose a poem that described things that made her happy. She mentioned fried chicken.

I laughed, hard.

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:32:40

what black people can't really enjoy eating watermelons?

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:36:22

You should have said that melon is for display purpose only sir.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:36:48

At 7/10/07 08:17 PM, Warrickneff wrote: yeah, but do all of them? I love watermelons just as much as anyone. I even took two home with me at the end of my shift.

well not all of em do but your acting shocked that a black man can enjoy a water melon. You gotta relax and just go with the flow.

Your judgment of our brothers is a little harsh. There allowed to enjoy watermelons just as much as we do.

But does anyone else feel uneasy? Perhaps it's because I should have laughed but didn't.

I wouldn't feel uneasy at all. It's something that's totally different and maybe some black people indeed do have big cocks and love water melon.

I think it's equally racist to think that some people don't fit there sterotype. everyone is different so expect the unexpected my friend.

Don't make too much of a big deal out of this. even if stereotypes are terrible they do have a small bias in truth.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:37:16

wait.... you said he ran to the watermelons....If he did then that is fucking hilarious.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:39:14

At 7/10/07 08:36 PM, PowerRangerYELLOW wrote: I wouldn't feel uneasy at all. It's something that's totally different and maybe some black people indeed do have big cocks and love water melon.

I think it's equally racist to think that some people don't fit there sterotype. everyone is different so expect the unexpected my friend.

Mmm...You make a lot of sense, even if you are heterosexual.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:41:59

I'm black and I hate watermelons, does that make me different.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:46:20

At 7/10/07 08:41 PM, Syphonik wrote: I'm black and I hate watermelons, does that make me different.

Not really

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:51:45

i think his friends bet him to do it

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:53:50

At 7/10/07 08:51 PM, peepee45 wrote:
At 7/10/07 08:41 PM, Syphonik wrote: I'm black and I hate watermelons, does that make me different.
wat about fried chicken, grape soda, applejuice, cornbread, and ANALY RAPING SOMEONE IN PRISON, oh and raping white women

I like garpe soda, hate apple juice, like cornbread, and don't rape.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:54:20

That is slightly interesting. I really hope that you also told him where to find the malt liquor. Oh, and you definitely should have pointed out the section where he could find some white women.

Je pense, donc je suis.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:56:58

You are the mere shadow of a black man.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 20:57:16

At 7/10/07 08:54 PM, BirthofaNova wrote: That is slightly interesting. I really hope that you also told him where to find the malt liquor. Oh, and you definitely should have pointed out the section where he could find some white women.

What's with all this talk of white women?

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:00:07

At 7/10/07 08:13 PM, Ceti wrote: A ran into an asian who didn't know how to drive.

Rather he ran over me with his honda. Repeatedly.

Fixed.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:06:45

You saw one black guy who liked watermelon, so the stereotypes must be true!

racists ahoy!

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:06:50

At 7/10/07 08:13 PM, Ceti wrote: A ran into an asian who didn't know how to drive.

Rather he ran into me with his honda.

Ahahahaha. I laughed my ass off.

Didja bounce?

Please click here. You'd make my fiance` happy... Please?

I'm a voice actor, and I love what I do. I'm also a writer, and love that just as much.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:15:12

It amazes me that people still don't know the difference between stereotypes and racism. Racism is hating another person because of skin color or thinking your race is superior to others. Stereotyping is ideas held about an entire group because of certain members of the group and it can be positive or negative.

Onto the black guy getting watermelon, who cares. Because he asked for watermelon like that, it makes it funnier than it would have been if he just asked where the watermelon was. I know black people that follow the stereotype, because the tend to be true for some unknown reason.

My cousin had a neighbor that was black and he didn't want anyone pushing him underwater in a 4 foot pool, and he was at least 6 feet tall. Then the resident black kid at my school (we have only one at a time, I think its a rule or something) asked for other people's watermelon the one day it was served, which made everyone laugh.

Laughing at people because they fall into stereotypes doesn't make you less human, in fact it makes you more human. When I see stereotypes being followed through, I laugh and point it out to as many other people as possible so they can join in with my enjoyment.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:18:51

Being a virgin, i'm up for any race to tell you the truth.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:19:11

It's not racist if its true. I've never a black person who's offended by the "stereotype" that all black people like chicken or watermelon. They all just say "Damn right" or something similar.

bro at me come

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:21:48

You mean like, a kamikaze watermelon?

Purchasing A Watermelon.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:27:03

At 7/10/07 09:21 PM, Musk wrote: You mean like, a kamikaze watermelon?

Did you really have to do that?
That flash is old.

AMAZING

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:27:13

At 7/10/07 09:19 PM, peepee45 wrote:
At 7/10/07 09:15 PM, skatin-andy wrote: Then the resident black kid at my school (we have only one at a time, I think its a rule or something)
where the fuck do u live... to answer ur question, ever seen token on southpark? hes the 1 black kid who goes to the school, the school uses him so they do not get sued for racism. that is what ur school is doing.

does the principle wear white robes?

I live in the huge village of Greenwich, Ohio. Check out the races in my town (not quite half way down). We just never have seem to have many black people in my town, probably because its full of rednecks.

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:33:45

hahaha, we all submit to racial stereotypes sometimes. you just have to relies that you can't judge an entire race by a few encounters.

still funny though.

BBS Signature

Response to Purchasing A Watermelon. 2007-07-10 21:48:35

thanks no iam gonna have to eat a water melon cuz of u

and iam not even hungery