00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

help my sky sux!

1,980 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

help my sky sux! 2007-05-09 18:14:14

i just cant draw sky very well, its all boring and 2d. how can i make it better and more dynamic looking. heres an eg of what i normaly do.

help my sky sux!

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-09 19:23:17

It's ok.

Don't say it sucks, that only discourages you.

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-09 19:50:17

I don't like the clouds, I think the sky would look okay without them.

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-09 19:55:22

The sun looks good enough, but try switching the sky color to a radial gradient, with the center behind the sun.

To make the clouds, make a cloud shape and color it the same shade of blue as the piece of sky it's on. Then, make another shape within, this time color it white. Blur them until it looks satisfying to you.

Hopefully this will help. It's how I always make my skies. =)

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-09 20:51:31

At 5/9/07 07:23 PM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: It's ok.

Don't say it sucks, that only discourages you.

I agree. You can see what happened to me when i felt that way not a long time ago. And ive learned from that. I recommend that you just... lie down on a grass and stare at the sky xP Simply study and look closer on how the clouds are put together, they variate very much from one to another. Think of long and thin clouds with curves on the top and a flat side under it, or bubbly clouds put together by small doses of other minor clouds, if you get the picture of what im saying. But hey, the blue sky doesnt look bad. And this IS good, you only need to develop it further. Its like adding more oil and making the skills slicker.

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 06:01:37

thanx guys im taking evrything in. but i dont agree with making the sky a radial colour with the center behind the sun. that would take away the horizon.

ill work in the sky and post a new one when ive studied the real thing and put to practise these techniques.

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 06:19:08

At 5/10/07 06:01 AM, Dark-Virus wrote: thanx guys im taking evrything in. but i dont agree with making the sky a radial colour with the center behind the sun. that would take away the horizon.

i agree with the radial gradient behind the sun and to keep ur horizon i would just make another lineless rectangle with a linear gradient and have the top part of it coloured that same as the bottom of the circular gradient thingamajiggo

varjyknah peeknohr bhewbz

BBS Signature

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 08:50:30

At 5/9/07 06:14 PM, Dark-Virus wrote: i just cant draw sky very well, its all boring and 2d. how can i make it better and more dynamic looking. heres an eg of what i normaly do.

ok...i would suggest kicking the sun down a couple of notches on brightness, make it smaller....it`s nice and all..but it just seems to bright..

then the main problem is the clouds...

i would suggest drawing cloud-like shapes with a round, soft brush with a 15 20 % opacity.

but dont draw the same old "cloud simbol" you have in your head..that sblotchy round thing....look outside look at clouds...see their shape? now, does it have anything to do with that cartoony unreal ball of white?

once you`ve done that smudge the edges around and soften them... mess with lighting and colour balance ( clouds are very rarely pure white)

and you should have somethign that looks a tad more realistic.

as for the sky....i would suggest sperimenting differens things..like the radial gradient for now..

hope it helps :)

it also depends on what program you`re using.

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??

nothing but stardust

BBS Signature

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 12:36:48

^^ thanx it did.

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 12:53:03

Also, the sky get's lighter nearing the horizon on clear sky.

BBS Signature

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 15:44:32

At 5/9/07 07:50 PM, Aracid wrote: I don't like the clouds, I think the sky would look okay without them.

Yeah i think the sky and sun look pretty good, but it would look alot better without the clouds.

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 20:17:35

dude, the sun atrackts too much attention. Make it darker

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-10 21:03:54

At 5/10/07 08:17 PM, elsocho wrote: dude, the sun atrackts too much attention. Make it darker

It's the sun... duh

you should go outside more often

I'm making Signatures and Profile pictures. Want one ? Just drop by in my profile and do a request !

BBS Signature

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-11 12:50:44

It dosen't suck!

3 1/2 out of five ^_^

c

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-12 01:04:53

I can definately help with this.
Spend more time on it.
The reason it looks 2d is because you are only using, like, 3 colors
Try using different layers, use different colors for the clouds like off white
#1 tip!!!
When usin all these colors, make sure you can blend them well, the smudge & blur tools are great!

This is a good example.

help my sky sux!

do not attempt to adjust your computer, there is nothing wrong with it, I am in control now.....

Response to help my sky sux! 2007-05-12 02:55:19

Look at clouds in real life. There are many types of clouds. Read up on clouds even, seriously it helps. The clouds most commonly known and seen are cumulonimbus clouds, puffy white rain clouds with dark gray centers, and bright rims. Light never shines through clouds either. This only ONE TYPE of cloud though. Observe life!