00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

razeck18 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Reviews being cleaned up.

27,158 Views | 217 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:23:23

I am getting a lot of users asking why their reviews are being deleted. Recently we have improved our review moderation system so our review moderators can now help us much more by deleting abusive reviews from the site. Users are also doing their part by flagging abusive reviews they come across while browsing the site, to the tune of hundreds a day. This is a big job and we have recruited more review mods to try and stay on top of this massive clean up effort.

The reviews being flagged as abusive could be new, or they could be years old. Some users take the time to go through an entry's complete review history, marking any review that violates our review guidelines.

Some of our users are surprised that reviews they submitted years ago are being deleted. There will be above normal PMs being sent to users who have submitted bad reviews to the site over the years, but once we get more on top of the bad reviews, the level of PMs will reduce.

The review mods have been instructed to only ban for recent offenses, up to 90 days or so. Keep in mind this is a big effort and some mistakes maybe made. If you have reviews deleted, they probably violated one of our rules. We invite users to resubmit their reviews if they can stick to our review guidelines.

If you would like to help flag abusive reviews, you simply need to sign up for a free Newgrounds account, and be logged in while reading reviews. Click the "abusive" link if you are certain the review violates our guidelines.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:23:58

Cool.

NG Mafia

I've evolved.

digi-digi

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:25:31

needed to be done.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:26:28

Coolx2.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:26:36

That clears everything up. Thanks wade!

Sigs are overrated.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:26:57

I got one of those it was over a year old reveiw I gave.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:26:59

I had one review deleted. But it was from when i first joined so I assume a ban wouldn't of happened and it didn't.

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it. it's just that they know so much that just isn't so"

Ronald Reagan

Proud supporter of the Dinosaur Conspiracy Theory

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:28:14

Yeah guys, mark enough reviews (correctly) as abusive, and you get the cool Deity whistle. Besides having the shiny picture in your profile, you get free lemonade and green beans served on a tray made of all the gold whistle you had to crush to get to where you are now. Newgrounds is one dog-eat-dog site, MUTHAFUCKA.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:28:31

That's excellent news.

I got a PM myself, and I replied, "Yes, sir."

What a glorious day.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:29:00

I have apretty shitty and non-productive review on my account from back in 2000 that should probably be removed.

In all fairness, it was in responce to a similar one left on one of my (now deleted) movies. Not that it's any excuse. Just thought I'd bring this to attention so that it doesn't go un-noticed. It really was shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:29:40

Also, if users do get banned, it shouldn't be for very long. 3-10 days. Max is 30, but I've told the mods to keep them short, unless it's a major violation. The great thing about the new system is users will get a PM explaining why they are banned, a copy of their review, and a ban that will auto expire in a set amount of time. With the old system I had to perodically clear out the bans, which was a mess. Some users would be banned for months at a shot. So now a review ban isn't the end of the world and users will hopefully learn from their mistakes.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:30:09

Sweet, about time.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:33:37

At 10/14/06 12:23 AM, WadeFulp wrote: The review mods have been instructed to only ban for recent offenses, up to 90 days or so. Keep in mind this is a big effort and some mistakes maybe made. If you have reviews deleted, they probably violated one of our rules. We invite users to resubmit their reviews if they can stick to our review guidelines.

I'm glad to hear this. I wasn't sure if some review I made back in 2002 would come back to haunt me.

Truth is, there's many reviews I made that I'd like to see get deleted anyway. Some of them are downright imbarrassing. I look at them and say, "damn I said that? what was I on?"

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:34:20

At 10/14/06 12:29 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Also, if users do get banned, it shouldn't be for very long. 3-10 days. Max is 30, but I've told the mods to keep them short, unless it's a major violation. The great thing about the new system is users will get a PM explaining why they are banned, a copy of their review, and a ban that will auto expire in a set amount of time. With the old system I had to perodically clear out the bans, which was a mess. Some users would be banned for months at a shot. So now a review ban isn't the end of the world and users will hopefully learn from their mistakes.

once the new layout comes in with less drop down boxes in reviews and i start reviewing this will be a good feature.
even though im sure i could figure out for myself why i was banned.
unless review mods are assholes. i doubt that.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:37:19

Good news Wade.

For me i rather have my old bad reviews deleted just so my reviews look clean whether or not i lose review count.

I've been marking a few reviews myself lately to help out,hope all goes well and all is clean in the review department.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:38:02

It's good to hear that the site is being improved even more. Thanks Wade.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:40:11

Good Job. Keep up the good work.
Oh thanks for the whistle upgrade by the way.

/b/

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:43:48

At 10/14/06 12:31 AM, BareNakedMike wrote: "and u didnt give credit to the guy u used the audio from its from Monthy Python."

I've always heard it was George Carlin. So maybe the users felt your review was giving bad information. When I search the sound clip out I find George Carlin's name with it, but I can't be 100% sure.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:44:44

At 10/14/06 12:29 AM, WadeFulp wrote: The great thing about the new system is users will get a PM explaining why they are banned, a copy of their review, and a ban that will auto expire in a set amount of time.

Yeah, M-Bot--the bearer of bad news! So sad...

Reviews being cleaned up.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:46:14

The nice thing is the PM tells you your review was removed, and what entry it was removed from. If you really cared about having a review for that entry, you can go back and leave one that's better, and sticks to the rules.

With the old system I'd have to clear out abusive reviews in mass, with a rough scan, and the users would get no notification that their reviews were being removed. Our new system is set up so each review is looked at, one by one, and it's fate is decided upon. It maybe deleted, deleted with a ban, or have the abusive flags cleared, or have the flags cleared with no penalty to those that flagged it (if it's borderline).

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:47:10

Good to see it being cleaned up.

first page?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:56:24

at first I thought the whole M-Bot idead was going to a peice of

„„ˆ€€ ˆ¬ˆ ˆ €ˆ€

^
I hope that worked, teehee.

But its actually quite brilliant.

Kudos to whoever came up with it.
I'll assume it was wade.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 00:59:28

err... Just how long does the ban last?

One of my old-ish reviews got deleted :(

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:00:31

At 10/14/06 12:59 AM, Grotesk wrote: err... Just how long does the ban last?

Disregard this post. I didn't see wade's second one. Thx.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:10:19

Will do Wade. Shooting for a deity now.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:25:56

Ok, not a big deal, might as well delete all of them when the massive update comes by, but whateva.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:26:10

At 10/14/06 12:59 AM, Grotesk wrote: err... Just how long does the ban last?

Bans are only for recent reviews, within the last couple of months or so.

Don't feel like you are an evil person if you've had reviews removed. I've had two of mine removed for being borderline. I was such a noob. :)

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:26:56

Good thing to see that you're getting the reviews under control. How many review moderators did you have before, and how many do you have now?

Pain is irrelevant, there is only pain.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:27:15

At 10/14/06 01:25 AM, HunterK wrote: Ok, not a big deal, might as well delete all of them when the massive update comes by, but whateva.

If it was that easy, the admins would do just that.

However, a LOT of these reviews were unfairly flagged as abusive. So we'd like to look through them all and make sure. :)

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-14 01:30:35

Now my old crappy abusive reviews will finally get deleted.

welcomes the hoard of flaggers on his reviews

BBS Signature