00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,883,029 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-15 20:05:45 (edited 2017-03-15 20:07:57)

Found a USB fan with optional $80 installation fee on Amazon.

How does USB work, again?

Anyway, I've been busy with a major side-project here. Decided to renovate the spare bedroom (which was being used for storage) and turn it into an office. Going to move all the household PCs in there since there's excellent ventilation and it's relatively far away from everyone so noise isn't a huge deal. Even has a closet that we can turn into a small server room. We're planning on having everything (except some awesome-looking LED lights I have yet to purchase) in and operational by this Saturday. I'll take some photos once the lights are in. Going for a retro-modern look with the theme colors bein black, white, and blue (mostly white, splashes of blue and black).

Otherwise, I'm basically sitting here and researching network switches and mini-servers (for connecting the room up to the interwebs) until tomorrow when we'll run out and buy all the desks and networking equipment. I've already got a lock on the switch we'll use and how we'll get it hooked up, but I wanted to try and get an IDS or even IPS between one of the desks and the switch since that desk will solely be for city-government business (working from home). I'd love to airgap the thing completely, but it's just not feasible at the moment; so I'll stick with the mini-server.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-15 22:34:49

At 3/15/17 08:05 PM, egg82 wrote: Otherwise, I'm basically sitting here and researching network switches and mini-servers

I'm sitting here slowly dying of grad school.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-21 12:10:59

I've been making some good progress on UI which has helped make some of the mechanics a little bit easier to work on. I think I'm still a bit of a ways off to having this thing playable, and I'm adjusting gameplay a lot still. Maybe some of you would be open to helping me test in a couple of months? I could use some game design feedback. It's a realtime multiplayer game so kind of hard to test it by myself. :P

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-21 14:52:20

At 3/21/17 12:10 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Maybe some of you would be open to helping me test in a couple of months? I could use some game design feedback. It's a realtime multiplayer game so kind of hard to test it by myself. :P

In a couple months, I won't have anything to do, so sure.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-23 21:47:18 (edited 2017-03-23 21:49:37)

I have one friend on Facebook that always posts in those huge multicolored image-things.
I have a bunch that constantly broadcast that they're just wallowing in self-pity.
A few that post really provocative photos of themselves, I assume hoping they'll pick up a date?
And a couple that are actually cool.

And I always get asked, "Why do you never go on Facebook?" or "Why don't you like Facebook?"

To be fair, I could clear out my friends list, but I honestly still don't see a point.

Edit: Can't forget about those stupid "like if.. Share if.. Ignore if.." photos. Those are just.. The best.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-24 20:18:21 (edited 2017-03-24 20:21:45)

Quick aside: Found this thing. It honestly surprises me somewhat that some devs think this way. Is it maybe a culture thing I don't understand, or.. ?

Edit: Holy shit I checked out the mod the other dev was creating and it looks like ass. But it's popular.
I don't understand anything any more. Excuse me while I go and rip assets from wherever and slap them into a half-assed game to post on Steam and make bank from.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-24 21:39:04 (edited 2017-03-24 21:39:26)

At 3/24/17 08:18 PM, egg82 wrote: Quick aside: Found this thing. It honestly surprises me somewhat that some devs think this way. Is it maybe a culture thing I don't understand, or.. ?

I think it's a young people thing, where they want to create something but won't want to create something, like put the effort in. Us old timers wouldn't understand.

A lot of people here steal code for homework assignments, but that's a different issue

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-25 14:18:18

At 3/24/17 09:39 PM, MSGhero wrote: I think it's a young people thing, where they want to create something but won't want to create something, like put the effort in. Us old timers wouldn't understand.

I dunno; I get a certain joy in creating anything, even if it's stupid and will never see the light of day. Of course, I get even more joy out of it when people actually use and like whatever I've made. For example, I woke up this morning to TC++ getting a 30% jump in user-base. That felt really good.

A lot of people here steal code for homework assignments, but that's a different issue

One of my freelance jobs was a college student paying me $20 to what I assume amounted to me doing their crypto homework for them. I felt a bit dirty, but honestly if it wasn't me it would be someone else, so I took my $20 opportunity and made an attempt to teach them some along the way. I also took the liberty of going way above and beyond on the assignment because I love blowing teacher's minds. One of my college teachers was constantly asking me "wait, you can DO that?!"

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-26 00:43:28

At 3/25/17 02:18 PM, egg82 wrote: For example, I woke up this morning to TC++ getting a 30% jump in user-base. That felt really good.

Initially read that as TurboC++ and wondered what the fuck happened to this world...damn outdated college labs.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-26 05:52:07

At 3/26/17 12:43 AM, Gimmick wrote: Initially read that as TurboC++ and wondered what the fuck happened to this world...damn outdated college labs.

Yo dawg, I heard you liked IDEs.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-27 21:25:09

this is a fantastic website full of goodness.
Even has Python for Diki :)

Now if only it were available for other languages..

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-28 18:38:25

At 3/21/17 12:10 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Maybe some of you would be open to helping me test in a couple of months?

I've been flaky on the forum for a while but I'll check back here and there in case you need testers.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-03-31 18:09:54

Not sure who here is from my period around - but I was surprised at how accurate and capturing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS7APAApBA captures that Newgrounds.

To everyone who remembers me from that period - you are awesome, thanks for making that period of my life so much better for me. I wish you all the best.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 06:26:58

At 3/31/17 06:09 PM, Inglor wrote:
To everyone who remembers me from that period - you are awesome, thanks for making that period of my life so much better for me. I wish you all the best.

<3

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 09:31:30

boop boop boop.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 09:48:19

At 4/1/17 09:31 AM, dELtaluca wrote: boop boop boop.

would be cool to hear from all the regs from the original reg lounge, im curious how many people are retired and with 5 grandkids etc

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 09:58:17

Got married, moving to Japan, working in games on the technical side as ever.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 10:01:24

At 4/1/17 09:48 AM, Luis wrote:
At 4/1/17 09:31 AM, dELtaluca wrote: boop boop boop.
would be cool to hear from all the regs from the original reg lounge, im curious how many people are retired and with 5 grandkids etc

get a life

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 10:07:26

At 4/1/17 09:58 AM, dELtaluca wrote: Got married, moving to Japan, working in games on the technical side as ever.
At 3/31/17 06:09 PM, Inglor wrote: Not sure who here is from my period around - but I was surprised at how accurate and capturing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS7APAApBA captures that Newgrounds.

By the way I only come on here once in a blue moon, and just by coincidence I checked in just as these two legends posted. Hope you're doing well guys, sorry for my shit posting when I was a kid! :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 13:33:47

Whoa. This all brings me back to years ago when I was a total amateur thinking I was hot shit and knew everything.
.. Wait, nothing's changed.

In all seriousness, learning from the old (and current!) regs and just BSing around on here was and is always great.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 16:03:06 (edited 2017-04-01 16:05:07)

At 4/1/17 10:07 AM, Rustygames wrote:
At 4/1/17 09:58 AM, dELtaluca wrote: At 3/31/17 06:09 PM, Inglor wrote:
Hope you're doing well guys, sorry for my shit posting when I was a kid! :)
At 4/1/17 01:33 PM, egg82 wrote: BSing around on here was and is always great.

Dude, all you guys rock, wouldn't trade those years for anything

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-01 16:52:39

This is great.

I'll have free time within a week when I finish my Masters presentation. Then super free time in a month after my thesis is due.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-04 19:53:27

BREAKING: Attackers can gain sensitive information by reading computer screens.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-04 20:10:48

At 3/27/17 09:25 PM, egg82 wrote: Even has Python for Diki :)

Well that's neat. Not sure if I would ever need it, though—I've always gotten by just fine with the official docs. But I could see it being very useful for someone new to the language.

Yeah, I'm responding to a rather old post; I wasn't tagged. Come at me, bro.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-04 20:59:29

At 4/4/17 08:10 PM, Diki wrote: Well that's neat. Not sure if I would ever need it, though—I've always gotten by just fine with the official docs. But I could see it being very useful for someone new to the language.

It's not really for the base language, per se. It's usefulness comes from the fact that it includes thrid-party libraries, so you can see how they work even if they have poor to no documentation. Seriously, every language needs this website.

Yeah, I'm responding to a rather old post; I wasn't tagged. Come at me, bro.

Whoops! Forgot the @.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-04 21:05:51

At 4/4/17 08:59 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 4/4/17 08:10 PM, Diki wrote: Well that's neat. Not sure if I would ever need it, though—I've always gotten by just fine with the official docs. But I could see it being very useful for someone new to the language.
It's not really for the base language, per se. It's usefulness comes from the fact that it includes thrid-party libraries, so you can see how they work even if they have poor to no documentation. Seriously, every language needs this website.

That's pretty good, then. Even has lots of info on Flask, my favourite web framework for Python. (Django is damned good, but I've never needed such an absolute beast of a framework for what I've done with Python.)

I'll bookmark it and keep an eye on it when doing work with third-party stuff.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-05 00:18:39 (edited 2017-04-05 00:26:34)

Ho. Ly. Shit.

I mean.. I figured these guys were making bank, but oh my christ on a fucking bike..

The temptation to the dark side is real, guys o.o

Edit: I know @3D-Xelu and @OmarShehata can probably weigh in with more accurate summaries of what's happening. Hopefully the tags worked, I haven't seen them in a minute.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-05 00:54:55

At 4/5/17 12:18 AM, egg82 wrote: Ho. Ly. Shit.

I mean.. I figured these guys were making bank, but oh my christ on a fucking bike..
The temptation to the dark side is real, guys o.o

@TheEnkian found our new business model

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-06 19:58:17

Things you may not have known:
Video
Translation

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-04-07 15:19:52

did anyone else suddenly lose the ability to scroll the bbs via mouse wheel? other sites work for me, even NG front page works.