00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,716 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-07 19:52:16

At 3/7/14 06:26 PM, swishcheese wrote: Does that work as a source for you Egg?

Brb updating wikipedia

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-10 20:57:38

Hey guys, long time no chat, after going on a hiatus I'm back into another dev spree. hows everyone doing? Swish hows the ninja game coming along?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-10 21:14:46

At 3/10/14 08:57 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Hey guys, long time no chat, after going on a hiatus I'm back into another dev spree. hows everyone doing? Swish hows the ninja game coming along?

Sup georgie. Spree = lots of games or a lot of one game?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-10 21:19:30

At 3/10/14 09:14 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 3/10/14 08:57 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Hey guys, long time no chat, after going on a hiatus I'm back into another dev spree. hows everyone doing? Swish hows the ninja game coming along?
Sup georgie. Spree = lots of games or a lot of one game?

I've got one short (stupid) game I wanna finish by Wednesday, after that maybe I'll finally finish my baseball game.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 16:03:52

After looking through haxeflixel's documentation, I realize now that I basically wrote flixel for the RPG sequel. In other words, I'm using flixel next time, prolly openfl too.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 18:58:56

At 3/11/14 04:03 PM, MSGhero wrote: After looking through haxeflixel's documentation, I realize now that I basically wrote flixel for the RPG sequel. In other words, I'm using flixel next time, prolly openfl too.

Flixel is what we've been using for Ender Story if I remember correctly.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 18:59:20

Heyyy. Good to here back on a dev spree. Ninja Game is going well. I am thinking it will be released sometime after pico day! How is the baseball run game coming?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 20:55:39

At 3/11/14 06:59 PM, swishcheese wrote: Heyyy. Good to here back on a dev spree. Ninja Game is going well. I am thinking it will be released sometime after pico day! How is the baseball run game coming?

Baseball game is still where it was before, everything is done cept for level design. One day I'll bring myself to finish it. Glad to hear the ninja game is on its way.

At 3/11/14 04:03 PM, MSGhero wrote: After looking through haxeflixel's documentation, I realize now that I basically wrote flixel for the RPG sequel. In other words, I'm using flixel next time, prolly openfl too.

I highly recommend it, you can do just about anything and it's incredibly refined. Paired with a GUI like DAME you can crank out games like mad.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 21:14:01

At 3/11/14 08:55 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I highly recommend it, you can do just about anything and it's incredibly refined. Paired with a GUI like DAME you can crank out games like mad.

I've already started playing around with it. I don't really need to redo the rendering engine, though (unless we change something major), so I could probably just reuse that code instead of re-rewriting it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 21:27:37

At 3/11/14 09:14 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 3/11/14 08:55 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I highly recommend it, you can do just about anything and it's incredibly refined. Paired with a GUI like DAME you can crank out games like mad.
I've already started playing around with it. I don't really need to redo the rendering engine, though (unless we change something major), so I could probably just reuse that code instead of re-rewriting it.

Oh yeah, if you have a game in progress then by all means stay the course, although you might still benefit from using Dame if your current game is tilebased, you can create a Lua script to export the levels in any kind of format, and you can place sprites and give them any custom property.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 21:32:38

At 3/11/14 09:27 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Oh yeah, if you have a game in progress then by all means stay the course, although you might still benefit from using Dame if your current game is tilebased, you can create a Lua script to export the levels in any kind of format, and you can place sprites and give them any custom property.

Pretty sure @VoidForce likes placing thousands of trees by hand. Already have dame planned for later, openfl if I do flixel.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 22:10:24

I'm trying to get a license of NGUI at work. It hasn't responded but I think it 'll be fine even though I'm not on the mobile dev team. Anyone here messed with it? Is it easy to switch over? I know c#, and I've messed with unity, but is NGUI good for 2d games, or is it mostly used for UI?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-11 23:30:36

At 3/11/14 09:32 PM, MSGhero wrote: Pretty sure @VoidForce likes placing thousands of trees by hand. Already have dame planned for later, openfl if I do flixel.

Can't sleep, trees will eat me.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-12 16:38:22

At 3/12/14 02:44 PM, PSvils wrote: Anyone know how long it takes for Flash Ads to be approved?

I've had a project sitting for quite some time, but finally chopped it up to a releasable state, but ads haven't been approved yet. (I have everything else setup, so whoever is evaluating stuff can see the preview)

P.

3 days on average, you can pm someone to check it out or cancel and recheck the ads to refresh it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-15 14:49:26

I recorded some gameplay footage of my current project to take with me to GDC since it's multiplayer and I can't really demo it to people without a good internet connection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rB7LPgrKUc

who else is going to GDC

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-15 22:04:59

At 3/15/14 02:49 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I recorded some gameplay footage

Looks cool, the effects are great and the melee attack seems like an interesting addition

who else is going to GDC

I got a expo pass from a friend, should be neat

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-16 00:15:59

I found a tool that makes gapless mp3s for as3, but it puts all of the audio into a swf. I like the tool because it compresses the audio more while keeping a higher quality than what the music guy sent me in addition to the gapless bit. I've tried embedding the swf and loadBytes-ing it in, but it never dispatches an INIT or COMPLETE event for a mysterious reason.

I don't want to manually embed 100 symbols, does anyone have another way to do it?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-16 00:48:04

At 3/16/14 12:15 AM, MSGhero wrote: I've tried embedding the swf and loadBytes-ing it in, but it never dispatches an INIT or COMPLETE event for a mysterious reason.

Apparently adding the listeners to the loader itself is a common issue, but I'm adding it to the right spot.

100% using haxe from now on, btw.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-16 19:23:28

just went back back played my Theifer O'Greedy game for the first time since I made it. Jeses Christ, the controls are aweful. I guess when they were finalized I was already used to the speed. I might make a habit of taking a several month hiatus in the middle of every game project just to try it with a sense of unfamiliarity

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-17 12:38:35

I really need these 1,000,000 points for a module I'm taking.

pls halp guise

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-17 12:44:48

At 3/17/14 12:38 PM, Sam wrote: I really need these 1,000,000 points for a module I'm taking.

pls halp guise

The answer is 7

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-17 14:05:59

At 3/17/14 12:38 PM, Sam wrote: I really need these 1,000,000 points for a module I'm taking.

pls halp guise

If you answer that, you also get a million dollars. One of the 7 millennium questions or whatever.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-19 10:33:29

At 3/17/14 02:05 PM, MSGhero wrote: If you answer that, you also get a million dollars. One of the 7 millennium questions or whatever.

I was attempted to anything and put a note to my lecturer saying "Can I have a point for trying?".

In other news, I hate Java. It's without a doubt the worst language I've worked with so far. :(

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-19 10:41:12

At 3/19/14 10:33 AM, Sam wrote: I was attempted to anything and put a note to my lecturer saying "Can I have a point for trying?".

I royally fucked that sentence up. * "I was tempted to put anything and put a note..."

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-20 00:07:03

First pull request. I might have gone overboard with the spelling changes, but I go big or go home.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-22 00:20:36

So Flash player 11.8 introduced the ability to hook into controllers, which is great.
... And then they screwed it up.

The thumb sticks REALLY like being around the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree marks. It "snaps" to those locations, making analog input feel terrible >:(

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-22 00:44:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQRQrWKIFKY&feature=youtu.be

SEE?! :(
The first bit is me rotating the stick slowly counter-clockwise, after that I'm trying to actually "play" the game (which is just a sandbox right now but whatever)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-22 00:48:10

At 3/22/14 12:20 AM, egg82 wrote: So Flash player 11.8 introduced the ability to hook into controllers, which is great.
... And then they screwed it up.

The thumb sticks REALLY like being around the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree marks. It "snaps" to those locations, making analog input feel terrible >:(

I played around with a demo a while back (pretty sure it was 11.7), and it felt fine. Maybe your controller sucks.

FP13 has enhanced textfield support, meaning emoticons. I'm likely on my last few as3 projects, but that's pretty cool. I can see one use for that in a demo I made probably.

AS4 white pages still haunt me, what could have been...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-22 00:57:25

At 3/22/14 12:48 AM, MSGhero wrote: I played around with a demo a while back (pretty sure it was 11.7), and it felt fine. Maybe your controller sucks.

Nah, C# XNA framework tells me the controller's fine, aside from the right stick leaning 0.0012 magnitude down on the y-axis.

FP13 has enhanced textfield support, meaning emoticons. I'm likely on my last few as3 projects, but that's pretty cool. I can see one use for that in a demo I made probably.

You can hack your way into doing the same thing with the TextFields we have today, but fine. I'm still waiting for that operator overloading and for them to get rid of the "final" keyword on the SoundChannel class (as well as a few others that aren't "fundamental" classes)

AS4 white pages still haunt me, what could have been...

Some of they changes they made looked amazing, I'm not sure why they stopped.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-03-22 09:02:19

At 3/22/14 12:57 AM, egg82 wrote: Some of they changes they made looked amazing, I'm not sure why they stopped.

I do wonder. Do you think it's a money problem? I mean, there are a load of better programming workflows than the Flash IDE. I'm not sure what other animation software is like, though. Maybe they're not making the sales they want with Flash.