00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Whraen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,893,786 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 23:28:46

At 7/29/13 10:26 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/29/13 09:31 PM, Innermike wrote: I know all my work related posts are probably annoying people by now but I have one final question (promise), how do you avoid being homeless?

A few years back I was homeless in the middle of winter in the Rocky Mountains. Unfortunately I wasn't the only hobo flying a flag that said "Will fix computers/write code for food." I eventually bartered some coding for a couch to crash on while I found a job, which later got sent to Indonesia.

Just got sent this for the iso rpg. Not too shabby. Gives me a good bit to work on now.

That looks really cool. I love me a good rpg.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 05:16:31

At 7/29/13 10:26 PM, MSGhero wrote: Flash CC is lighter and sexier, idk if there's a native Mac version though.

It's lighter and darker ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 13:34:48

I had a strong need to derail this thread with my curiousity. But do you guys do other stuff outside of the computery things for fun / to unwind? I've taken a liking to film photography this year and I try to bring my camera along for my travels and just wanderings. I'll later eyedrop and make color palettes later as design inspiration or something.

What about you? Do you play guitar, are in a sports team, part of the choir, brew your own beer, etc. TIRED OF FLASH TALK.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 14:30:48

At 7/30/13 01:34 PM, Luis wrote: I had a strong need to derail this thread with my curiousity. But do you guys do other stuff outside of the computery things for fun / to unwind? I've taken a liking to film photography this year and I try to bring my camera along for my travels and just wanderings. I'll later eyedrop and make color palettes later as design inspiration or something.

What about you? Do you play guitar, are in a sports team, part of the choir, brew your own beer, etc. TIRED OF FLASH TALK.

I try and fuck around with the guitar now and again but I'm not very good.
I spend most of my time drinking, smoking, gambling; all the normal stuff.
Want to play more Starcraft, there is a new bar in London where they do a tournament every friday, so I want to brush up to avoid making a complete tit of myself (although it's not serious, so it's fun even if I suck).

Also I'm getting married, did I mention that?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 14:32:07

Oh, also off to Germany in 2 weeks to crash some more cars on the 'ring :D

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 16:26:39

At 7/30/13 01:34 PM, Luis wrote: I had a strong need to derail this thread with my curiousity. But do you guys do other stuff outside of the computery things for fun / to unwind?

I used to swim (took lifeguard training, that was all sorts of fun in a barrel), sing, and play soccer and piano. Or read.
Now i'l occasionally sing or on rare occurrences pull out my guitar. Took a bunch of lessons for both of those, so at least i'm not terrible with them :P
Most of my fun comes from either creating games or playing them, though on occasion i'll watch a movie or show. I haven't watched television in quite a few years, though. Generally i'll just use Netflix.

So my friends and I have finally completed most of the things to start the new campaign. It'll be a traditional 3.5 with a few twists I learned from my DM friends. There'll be some big thing going on in the world that's threatening everything and such, but for the most part the story will be told around the player's actions. It allows much more freedom, I think. I'm just plopping them down in specific areas and watching them travel around the world I created; telling the story around where they are and what they decided to do.
It looks like the start of the campaign will be tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM MDT (UTC/GMT -7) (+1 because DST) and i'll be livestreaming the whole failboat of a party they've created :P (since everyone seems to be okay with the idea)

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 17:02:28

It's turned into a lonely hearts section...

"Egg enjoys long walks on the beach"
"Mike's turn on's include reading and fine dining, and his turn off's are smoking and facial hair"

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 17:08:27

hobbies

I have developed a bit of an interest in cooking. Even though eating out in korea is much cheaper than in europe, it's not cheap enough that I could afford making a habit of eating out regularly. In central seoul you could could get a meal for as low as 5 bucks, but it would probably mostly be fastfood-like korean chains that "cook" everything from frozen ingredients. For an acceptable meal in central seoul you'd probably find yourself paying 6-9 dollars.

2 years ago I pretty much started making food for myself for the first time in my life. I had not a single clue about anything that has to do with cooking, because for the duration of my entire life food just appeared for me at home, and I never had any interest in the process that brought that food to the plate in front of me. I started out with no guidance and no advice, and for a pretty long time I'd pretty much just cook some rice with the rice cooker and throw in some pan-fried frozen food. Took me a while to realise how terrible that was, to stay away from frozen foods completely and start buying fresh meats. And then it took me ever longer to realise I should start cooking with vegetables, and create dishes that are more than just <some kind of meat> + pasta/rice.

I'm at the peak of my interest in cooking at the moment, so far. I'm watching a lot of cooking shows. I'm having a lot of fun watching Gordon Ramsay's shows. I still don't have the broadest repertoire in cooking, but there are a few dishes I can do pretty decently by now and it's very enjoyable to eat them when they turn out well.

another thing I've been spending a decent chunk of time at recently is martial arts. signed up to a gym/dojo place, that was recommended to me from a former instructor in israel. the master is insanely skilled. learning a lot, and getting a good work-out, i suppose.

besides that i'm taking great pleasure in constantly learning more Korean. It might not count as a hobby because I don't actively spend too much time on it. I go to a free 2 hour class every saturday taught by students from a local women's university. it's great fun and it's a great way to meet people as a foreigner in an asian country.

one hobby that i wished i could take at several points through the years is chess. i played chess in elementary school but dropped it when i moved countries. never played it seriously since then. i had a few short periods of trying to play online, but i don't enjoy chess itself enough to play strangers on the internet regularly. i do enjoy the situation of playing someone face to face.

in other news, I'm returning to europe to pursue studies next month after a 2 year sojourn in korea. feels a bit awkward saying this like an announcement, because i really haven't shared much of my life with you new regs. i feel like sam is the only one still here to whom this would be relevant at all.

i enjoy ending all my posts on bitter notes

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 17:27:21

I was a cellist in another life. Ended up pawning her years ago to keep a roof over my head and couldn't afford to get her back. In hindsight, I should have kept the cello and ditched the apartment.

I kind of play guitar once in a while. Though these days 90% of my fun involves either making or playing games.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 17:58:49

I've been meaning to find a new hobby, something mech eng related when I get back to uni. There's a bunch of different clubs I could join, but I'm pretty sure I'd get the shit end of the stick for any team building (building something as a team) groups. And they're mostly all about cars, and I don't really care about cars that much. I'm more interested in stuff like the carbon nanotube research I was doing, any kind of research and math/physics application really. There's prolly not a club for that, though.

I've been watching a ton of movies and tv lately. The summer between high school and uni I watched 80 movies, all classics and stuff my friends had talked about in the past, like Back to the Future and other stuff everyone should have seen. Now I scroll through imdb's top 250 and their related movies looking for another one to pique my interest.

And lots of Dota 2.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-31 00:51:35

Just finished watching "Pan's Labrynth" for the first time, and I have to ask:
Are we intended to believe it was all magic, or that she may have just been a little crazy?
Or is that the intended ending? To take the in-between the those who believe in magic and mystery and those who are firmly grounded into reality and blur the line a bit?

Either way, a very bittersweet ending, with emphasis on the bitter part :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-31 16:40:55

At 7/31/13 04:14 PM, PSvils wrote:

simple copy pasting! :)

Noob coders rejoice, until they realize how confusing it is.

"Where do I paste this context?" threads...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-31 17:27:58

At 7/31/13 04:40 PM, MSGhero wrote:

every time you create one of these threads, a kitten kills a puppy. Yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 01:02:06

Over the last week, the piano has replaced coding as my main hobby because I've been studying a lot and, well, coding is not the kind of hobby you do in-between studying sessions...

I'm Grade 8 at the moment. I'm mainly working on the Pathétique sonata and the Revolutioanry étude (really hard - I can only manage the first four bars so far), but I also play smaller pieces I'm already familiar with or I can sight-read easily (Chopin nocturne No. 2, Rondo Alla Turca, etc.).

I wanna learn to make GUIs with C# because POSes are being increasingly problematic for my French, and like any good nerd, I want to write up a program to solve that problem. :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 02:23:46

At 8/1/13 01:02 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I wanna learn to make GUIs with C# because POSes are being increasingly problematic for my French, and like any good nerd, I want to write up a program to solve that problem. :P

That reminds me of in high school when we were allowed to start using graphing calculators. I wrote programs for cartesian to polar, simplified nth root (I went overboard, starting allowing negative numbers and negative powers), factoring, and other stuff. It got to a point where programs weren't allowed to be used in class anymore.

So I forgot how movieclips worked, having not touched them in code in about a year. After a few dumb errors, I have artwork in my iso rpg! This stupid FF Tactics clone prototype that I made last year, gave up on cuz of people ditching, then rewrote from a 3000 line main.as finally has not-programmer art in it. Once I get the art for all 4 iso angles, I'll upload some stuff cuz I want opinions on how to make the battle "cinematic" not boring looking.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 09:29:09

At 7/31/13 05:27 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 7/31/13 04:40 PM, MSGhero wrote:
every time you create one of these threads, a kitten kills a puppy. Yeah.

Hmmm, the local cat is telling me I need to make some of those threads...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 11:13:57

RE: cooking

Can't fuck with it. I dont see the logic in just cooking for one person. Maybe when I have kids or multiple wives or something I'll take a joy in making an elaborate meal and slaving away in the kitchen. If its just yourself, itll just take way too much time, way too much prep, way too much clean-up time, and youll inevitably be stuck with food you have to eat for days.

I dont cook. I feel when I finally do ill have some horrible accident and ill have nubs for hands and ill not be able to post here anymore. I've had the good fortune of having people around me who DO enjoy cooking and cooking for me.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 12:20:37

At 7/30/13 05:08 PM, Toast wrote: for a pretty long time I'd pretty much just cook some rice with the rice cooker and throw in some pan-fried frozen food.

This is pretty much what I eat. Pasta/rice/potatoes with chicken.

besides that i'm taking great pleasure in constantly learning more Korean. It might not count as a hobby because I don't actively spend too much time on it.

I've decided to stop being so lazy and try to take my hand at another lanugage - I feel like it's one of the best skills someone can have. Once you've got Korean down, what does that make you? Like... quadrilingual?

in other news, I'm returning to europe to pursue studies next month after a 2 year sojourn in korea. feels a bit awkward saying this like an announcement, because i really haven't shared much of my life with you new regs. i feel like sam is the only one still here to whom this would be relevant at all.

Guess you'll have to start training me in Starcraft 2 again <3

At 8/1/13 01:02 AM, FlyingColours wrote: I'm Grade 8 at the moment. I'm mainly working on the Pathétique sonata and the Revolutioanry étude (really hard - I can only manage the first four bars so far), but I also play smaller pieces I'm already familiar with or I can sight-read easily (Chopin nocturne No. 2, Rondo Alla Turca, etc.).

That's really impressive man. Grade 8 is an achievement on any instrument. I'd like to start doing grades again for guitar, particularly for the theory side of it. I only managed to do Grade 3 and then decided I'd rather self teach. I feel I could easy get to Grade 6, I think the only advanced technique I struggle with is sweeping.

My hobbies are pretty limited once you take programming and technology away :( How depressing...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 14:22:19

RE: cooking

At 8/1/13 11:13 AM, Luis wrote: way too much prep, way too much clean-up time, and youll inevitably be stuck with food you have to eat for days.

This is a good point and I'm still undecided about it. For the most part of my life, I grew up on my mother cooking a warm meal in big portions every couple of days. The rest of the portion would be refrigerated and it would make my two or three next meals over the days that follow. So that's pretty much what I do when I cook with pasta, or make shnitzels, and I never questioned it until now.

I definitely agree with your point about the effort of cooking for one not being entirely worth it. Besides shnitzels, I've stayed away from things that require too much time to cook, or leave too much of a mess in the kitchen. Still, I also value it as the acquiring of a life-long skill to have. Even though I'm single, it means I can cook dinner for someone, and it also means that when I won't be single I might be able to surprise the girl with the cooking skills I'd have acquired.

sam; languages

At 8/1/13 12:20 PM, Sam wrote: I've decided to stop being so lazy and try to take my hand at another lanugage - I feel like it's one of the best skills someone can have.

good idea. how's your french?

I think one of the most important considerations in choosing a language is how much time you really picture yourself making use of the language once you're done learning it. Needless to say, it's very common to lose your immediate communication skills in a language that you haven't really used in several years. It's good if you have something in your life that grounds you to the language you're learning. At some point, you'll undoubtedly lose interest in the language if your study of it is mostly self motivated, and you can end up with a story that so many people share, that goes something like "oh, this language? yeaaah .. i studied it for X years in school but haven't used it since, and by now I just remember how to say hello / thank you / where is the toilet"

Once you've got Korean down, what does that make you? Like... quadrilingual?

I guess almost quintilingual. I don't have so much of a desire to learn new languages just for the sake of learning languages, it kinda just happened by accident that I moved around the world a bunch, and picked up an additional language (spanish) thanks to french educational program, too. That being said, I do get a bit of a boner at the thought of being fluent in 5 languages. I brushed up on my hebrew by writing to my dad over the past few years, so I am interchangeably fluent in hebrew, french, and english. I should be fluent in spanish if I brush up on it. I was somewhat comfortable in spanish before I stopped learning it. As for korean, it takes a lot of balls to say that you have korean "down", but I think I'm very close to a level you could call conversationally fluent.

I think I've written some of my thoughts about Korean language here in the past, and if not I definitely will in the future. The process of learning Korean is extremely different than the very vast majority of languages around the world. This is both because of peculiarities of the language itself, and because South Korea has had very little time to be a developed nation that opens up to the rest of the world, there is great immaturity in the understanding of Korean from a non-korean native, both by koreans themselves and by foreigners. I know a few westerners who spent a large amount of time studying Korean but they still don't really understand the nuances of the language, and they mangle every thought that try to express.

I've reached a fairly advanced understanding of how korean language should be properly used in the way of the Koreans, but so far I haven't put enough effort into it, so I lack too much vocabulary and I can't exactly call myself conversationally fluent at this point.

Guess you'll have to start training me in Starcraft 2 again <3

my god

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 14:38:31

RE: languages

I'd like to learn icelandic. I've read its on the more difficult of languages to learn, but I always figured I'm in iceland regularly enough that it might be worthwhile to learn sometime. I'm a big fan of some of their letterforms and ive always wanted an excuse to use that d with the line across the stem.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 14:40:22

i swore I'd never make a vine but it's actually really good for showcasing snippits of what you're working on so I gave in

https://vine.co/v/hqpELlwTprP

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 14:42:10

i swore I'd never make a vine but it's actually really good for showcasing snippits of what you're working on so I gave in

https://vine.co/v/hqpELlwTprP

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 18:00:57

sam; languages

Weren't you around? We can @Toast now

good idea. how's your french?

Terrible. I can pretty much hold a conversation that a primary school learner can hold.

At some point, you'll undoubtedly lose interest in the language if your study of it is mostly self motivated

I've thought about this, and decided to pick Spanish because it's so widely spoken and there are plenty of resources out there. It's not a stretch to find people I can talk to in Spanish either which is fun. Hopefully the self motivation perseveres to the point where I know more than: "Hello, my names Sam. How're you? ".

That being said, I do get a bit of a boner at the thought of being fluent in 5 languages.

So you should, hell of a thing to be able to translate from one to another and be able to communicate and experience things you'd otherwise be unaware of.

I should be fluent in spanish if I brush up on it.

Train me in SC2 but in Spanish and in return I'll teach you to program ;) only jk pls don't hurt me

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 18:58:01

At 8/1/13 06:00 PM, Sam wrote: Train me in SC2 but in Spanish and in return I'll teach you to program ;) only jk pls don't hurt me

teach me your ways with women and ill train you in sc2 and programming in spanish. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 19:41:17

At 8/1/13 06:58 PM, Toast wrote:
At 8/1/13 06:00 PM, Sam wrote: Train me in SC2 but in Spanish and in return I'll teach you to program ;) only jk pls don't hurt me
teach me your ways with women and ill train you in sc2 and programming in spanish. :)

You play SC2? League?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-01 19:53:14

At 8/1/13 07:41 PM, Rustygames wrote: You play SC2? Dota 2?

Fixed.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-02 05:19:24

At 8/1/13 07:53 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 8/1/13 07:41 PM, Rustygames wrote: You play SC2? Dota 2?
Fixed.

I don't play Dota. I mean which league are you in in SC :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-02 10:54:40

Guys please vote 5 on my new game.

Took ages but I think the final product came out very nicely

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-02 11:15:37

Hey guys popping in to bring up the whole Game Design & Development forum idea...

So people seemed keen on this idea when we talked about it last time. I forget if this came up but I was thinking, we have the Animation forum for animators and the Flash Forum is pretty much about games nowadays anyway, so what if we just renamed the Flash forum to Game Design & Development?

We could then merge in the handful of topics from Games Factory and Mobile, then shut those forums down... The majority of conversation would still be Flash because that is what most people here use, but Unity and HTML5 guys could get into the mix. I'm interested in more conversation about game design, regardless of the platform.

Thoughts?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-08-02 11:43:26

At 8/2/13 11:15 AM, TomFulp wrote: Thoughts?

I think it's a good idea. I'd go a step further and merge 'em all into programming. I don't think either forum gets enough activity to really justify being separate.