00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Programming Regs Lounge

721,223 Views | 15,737 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-08 13:07:23

That's what me and tech guy had figured, but I had my doubts this morning when the major errors were coming in as memory management faults and read only memory write attempts etc, with only the occasional graphical fault.

And, after running memtest for about 14 hours, i got a single error reported.

It seems when i tried only one stick at a time of ram i forgot to swap and tested the same one on it's own twice. because now i've got the system perfectly stable with just one of the sticks in. and testing that stick on it's own through memtest i've gotten another error reported after a couple hours.

Seems amazing that what must be a tiny fault in one ram stick (Given the time it's taken memtest to find an error) could have such massive impacts, appearing as mass graphical artifacts and graphic driver failures (which was also confusing because there's lots and lots of topics on the graphic driver failing being a vista issue that has nothing to do with ram) etc.

But yes, it's one of the sticks of ram, reporting a single error in memtest every few hours or so, and causing horrible horrible problems.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-10 15:21:06

Saturday night with a budget of nothing. THE WEEKEND STARTS HERE!

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-16 13:21:52

Soooooooooooooooo..................

Programming Regs Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-16 14:45:08

At 4/16/10 01:21 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Soooooooooooooooo..................

I was thinking the same and was gonnie give this a wee bump if it fell to the second page. But their nothing happening in my life right now worth shouting about sooooo.........

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-17 10:44:30

Eh life's been pretty aight for me. Decided which college I'm going to, and I'm graduating high school in only two months, awesome. I'm slowly working on my portfolio site, as well as a Tumblr theme. And yesterday I completed my goal to visit every single Apple store in NYC :D

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-17 11:33:24

At 4/17/10 10:44 AM, DanielZ wrote: Eh life's been pretty aight for me. Decided which college I'm going to, and I'm graduating high school in only two months, awesome. I'm slowly working on my portfolio site, as well as a Tumblr theme. And yesterday I completed my goal to visit every single Apple store in NYC :D

How many are there?

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-17 14:14:54

Five. One in the upper west side, one on 5th avenue, one in SoHo, one in Chelsea, and one in Staten Island. All of them look different on the outside, but they're pretty much all the same on the inside.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-17 19:39:26

Where did you decide to go to college? It must be exciting to be graduating from hs, especially when you almost didn't make it through and didn't want to go to college.

I've decided that within the next year or so I'll be going back for my PsyD. I'm either going to Loyola in Baltimore, Md or Carlos Albizu in Doral, Fl. It's just a matter of how much money I can save before I go so that my loans won't have to cover my apartment. We'll see, we'll see!

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-17 21:11:20

At 4/17/10 07:39 PM, Jessii wrote: Where did you decide to go to college? It must be exciting to be graduating from hs, especially when you almost didn't make it through and didn't want to go to college.

Yeah it actually is pretty exciting. I even went down to my guidance counselor two weeks ago and after looking at my transcript she was like "you're totally good to graduate, just keep at it." Now that felt good to hear, honestly. I hit a fairly low point in high school and life last year, but now I'm bouncing back, and it feels great. I've been accepted to Baruch college, and that's where I'm going. It has a really nice campus in midtown Manhattan, and it's a pretty good school. Most likely majoring in Graphic Design at Baruch.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-18 09:43:48

That's good. You can live at home and commute back and forth. At least you have goals.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-18 10:17:58

At 4/18/10 09:43 AM, Jessii wrote: That's good. You can live at home and commute back and forth. At least you have goals.

Yeah it's not a very long commute, an hour at most. I save money by living at home, because there's really no point in dorming for a boring person like me. The reason most people dorm is to have parties and get drunk and smoke weed all day, but I don't do any of that, nor do I have a desire to do it. My only real expenses are the $90 or so for the 30-day unlimited metrocard, and about 5-6 bucks a day for lunch.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-18 13:24:11

Yeah, definitely much cheaper to live at home.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-18 13:34:57

At 4/18/10 01:24 PM, Jessii wrote: Yeah, definitely much cheaper to live at home.

Having lived away for six months now I genuinely wouldn't be able to go back to living at home. Although if I'd never known any different it probably wouldn't bother me.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-19 04:42:34

Hey everyone. You should give me some constructive criticism on my new blog. It's about video games, and it's right here. Yes, yes, I know it's Blogger, but I didn't have the money to pay my hosting bill when I put this up, so I just used a free service. Sue me.

And, if you feel nice, you should follow it. So I can get more people. Yay.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-19 07:31:13

At 4/19/10 04:42 AM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Hey everyone. You should give me some constructive criticism on my new blog. It's about video games, and it's right here. Yes, yes, I know it's Blogger, but I didn't have the money to pay my hosting bill when I put this up, so I just used a free service. Sue me.

And, if you feel nice, you should follow it. So I can get more people. Yay.

I'll give it a look every now and then if I think on. I'd probably be more interested though if I still played new games. Used to have a 360 but sold it and have now reverted to my old school PS2 :)

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-19 09:58:52

At 4/18/10 10:17 AM, DanielZ wrote: I save money by living at home, because there's really no point in dorming

They don't have dorms over here. You have student accommodation for your first year then you have to find a flat somewhere. So your doing what I done. And it worked out ok. Now I just need to start making enough so I can escape this "Jon can you fix this / do this for me" hell.....

At 4/19/10 04:42 AM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Hey everyone. You should give me some constructive criticism on my new blog.

As authorblues once said: "Blogs are for people who want to whine, when theirs nobody their to listen"

Your blog actually seems to serve a practical purpose :) So you've sunk that quote. You give a good review and a good break down but you repeat a few things. Like the "going black/white instead of using meters" thats mentioned twice.

Things like that you should think about when writing. The design is plain, but thats not bad. A bit dark though. Cant think of anything else to say really.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-19 19:20:28

I'd like to make enough to do what I need/want to do like pay my car off or even have the money to move to Miami/pay my tuition for my doctorate. I don't know anyone down there either to even try to get a roommate.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-20 05:05:38

At 4/19/10 07:31 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: I'll give it a look every now and then if I think on. I'd probably be more interested though if I still played new games. Used to have a 360 but sold it and have now reverted to my old school PS2 :)

I love my PS2 games as much as the next guy...but come on man! You need to get that 360 back!

At 4/19/10 09:58 AM, Jon-86 wrote: Your blog actually seems to serve a practical purpose :) So you've sunk that quote.

Woo!

You give a good review and a good break down but you repeat a few things. Like the "going black/white instead of using meters" thats mentioned twice.

Good point. Didn't think to see that.

Things like that you should think about when writing. The design is plain, but thats not bad. A bit dark though. Cant think of anything else to say really.

Yeah, design is not my strong suit, so I just used one of theirs.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 14:45:33

I was going to get a replacement phone. Basically just buy a new LG chocolate as I've had one for just over 2 years now. Got it not last xmas but the one before. And it has served me well and is honestly the first phone I have liked from the minute I got it.

But I'm not sure. I've been put off the iPhone because it costs lots and well I don't like the fact they block flash yet somehow have youtube. Anyway I dont think their worth the money after having a shot of one.

So has anyone got a recommendation? I've been thinking about the Android but don't know anyone who has one, so don't know what their like.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 15:28:13

At 4/24/10 02:45 PM, Jon-86 wrote: But I'm not sure. I've been put off the iPhone because it costs lots and well I don't like the fact they block flash yet somehow have youtube. Anyway I dont think their worth the money after having a shot of one.

I'm in the same boat. I signed on for a three-year contract with Bell on the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I like the phone, but hate that it doesn't support Flash. It is also VERY expensive and I would give ANYTHING to downgrade to a lower phone in heart beat if I didn't have to pay so much money to get a new phone.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 17:18:56

I'm still thinking about getting a Motorola Droid next month because I'm tired of my old Chocolate (everytime I scroll, I end up hitting the sensors and end up getting kicked out of that menu).

Anyway, I have some exciting news. I managed to buy a counterfeit Kingston flash drive on ebay (big surprise). It corrupted my data, won't format (exFAT worked on Vista but it won't read on XP and my XP machine is where my files, so that's pointless), nothing! The seller's response is "are you sure about that because i am using one here and never had any problems" which is complete BS if you ask me. He's trying to weasel out of giving me retribution. If it doesn't get resolved, I'll do the whole ebay report thing and get my $ back. I knew it was too good to be true but if I can help get this asshole off of ebay it's worth it.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 17:53:15

Woogie has a Droid and suggests everyone else should get one.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 18:52:37

Hmm curious! I got the fake drive to quick format on vista with exFAT, and the data file that I put on there isn't corrupted at all and I can delete it. However, when I pop it into my desktop with XP, it says the drive is unformatted. Now I'm downloading the tool for XP. Hopefully it works, though I still hope the seller realizes that he's selling fake drives.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 20:54:52

At 4/24/10 05:53 PM, WoogieNoogie wrote: Woogie has a Droid and suggests everyone else should get one.

How long have you had it? Whats it like? Would you say its durable?

At 4/24/10 06:52 PM, Jessii wrote: Drive problem

Something similar happened to me once with my portable hard-drive. For some unknown reason after doing a fresh install of XP on someone's computer it just didn't detect the drive. Or mount it. I could right-click and safely remove it but it wouldn't mount. Don't know why as it works on my XP machine... Just one of those annoying things.

Right now I'm saving up to buy stuff to build a desk. I had one, and I've had it for years. But I need something different now. Theirs a perfect alcove in my wall so basically my new desk is going to be like a big shelf :)

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 21:07:59

It seems to work fine now and I'll just have to install the exFAT tool on my computer @ work so that I can listen to my music. Now if only my car would recognize it it would be even better! I downloaded to the drive right after I fixed it, popped it in my port in my car and it kept switching back and forth from reading the drive to xm radio and I took it as a sign that the car wasn't sure about what to make of it. So I'll call Hyundai on Monday and see what they say about it.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 21:23:01

Nevermind! I just transferred about 4-5 GB of music over to the drive that should be 128 GB and went to open it and found it was corrupted again. It seems as though when there isn't much on there, about 100MB, it works just fine but any more and it goes boom and corrupts. So I'm going to wipe the drive and wait for the seller to email me back. I hope he decides to do the right thing by giving me my $ back without me having to go through ebay/paypal's buyer protection. It's annoying but if I can get this idiot off of ebay, then it's worth it.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 21:32:21

At 4/24/10 09:23 PM, Jessii wrote: It's annoying but if I can get this idiot off of ebay, then it's worth it.

And more power to you. Too many scammers on eBay. Their are some great bargains to be found. But they should do more to protect buyers.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-24 21:45:08

Exactly! I got the drive for cheap but it could've been legit! You never know until you actually get it in your hands and start using it. It's annoying and ebay hasn't done anything about the scammers except to make them give the $ back. I know that someone suggested a couple of months ago that they should be brought up against cyber crime too...For all I know, this guy bought a bunch of these drives from the chinese and malaysian sellers that sell the counterfeits and then he turned around and sold them. I'm eagerly awaiting the reply from this guy, especially because I told him that my drive isn't marked with the serial info (when he asked me how I know it's fake). We'll see what happens.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-25 03:51:38

At 4/24/10 08:54 PM, Jon-86 wrote: How long have you had it?

Just about 6 months.

Whats it like?

It's like an iPhone swallowed a keyboard. In a good way.

Honestly, the touch interface is awesome (new update even has pinch-to-zoom). I like having the four touch buttons at the bottom, too (Back, Menu, Home, Search). They're part of the touch screen, and interact with whatever's open at the time (pressing menu in an app will launch the app's menu, pressing search alone will search everything, while pressing it in Music will search music).

They're pushing the Motorola name with it...but in all honesty, it's a Google phone. Everything in it works...which Motorola phones often don't...but I put that on Google's stuff. It syncs up with my Gmail, Google Calendar, and all my contacts sync up with Facebook. Their profile pic automatically gets set as their photo ID. Searching for a person with the searchbar will also search your FB friends' profiles for numbers.

The keyboard is really handy. It's a little small keywise, but you get used to it pretty face. Also, instead of just having apps, there's entire widgets. I have a Facebook widget that loads recent posts, and a calendar widget that shows me what my next appointment is.
God, I sound like a salesman...but I don't care. It's awesome. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Would you say its durable?

Yeah, haven't had a problem with it yet. I got a case, cause I'm a little clumsy at times with phones, but I know someone who got it about the same time as I did...she never got the case, and hers is in perfect shape still.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2010-04-25 12:34:15

I was going to buy the Droid when it came out because my contract was up in January but my Mom lost her phone so she swiped my contract renewal instead. Next month I can buy mine but I need to upgrade my account to have a data package.