00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Programming Regs Lounge

721,230 Views | 15,737 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-07 23:45:43

PHP knows that I don't like it. It knows and it says to me: "Oh, you don't like me? Well then I'm going to make your life suck! HERE! Now your scripts won't work. No matter if they are correct or not. MUAHAHA. Fuck you."

I swear. PHP and me have issues. It's like I slept with PHP's girlfriend or something and now it's taking it out on me.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:28:00

At 9/7/07 11:45 PM, Cinjection wrote: PHP knows that I don't like it. It knows and it says to me: "Oh, you don't like me? Well then I'm going to make your life suck! HERE! Now your scripts won't work. No matter if they are correct or not. MUAHAHA. Fuck you."

I swear. PHP and me have issues. It's like I slept with PHP's girlfriend or something and now it's taking it out on me.

I hate when that happens with any language, the syntax is correct, it's readable, everything theoretically should work, meaning the logic and application isn't flawed, but it doesn't.

Was PHP's girlfriend at least hawt? I heard she took some nude pics but I couldn't ever find them

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:31:19

At 9/7/07 05:19 PM, kingdarkeyes wrote: I was just wondering... I'm currently making a game (not to impress anybody), and was thinking of staying in the area of making games, so I just thought of the thread out of sheer curiosity.

It's just not needed 'sall man.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:34:36

At 9/8/07 12:28 AM, AcDiK-DR4G0N wrote:
I heard she took some nude pics but I couldn't ever find them

I ates them.

And I fixed the error. I suppose it was my fault. I mistyped one of my longer variables (verificationData) and it screwed everything up. Although if PHP had was stronger-typed, then I wouldn't have had to sit here for 2 hours wondering why my sessions weren't working.

Oh well. Me and PHP have decided to be civil towards each other for the time being.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:36:46

At 9/8/07 12:34 AM, Cinjection wrote: I ates them.

WHY!? I WANT TO SPEW ON MY KEYBOARD WHILE I LOOK AT HAWT PHP ACTION!

Anyway, it's funny how things like that work out, it really bugs me when do the same exact thing, and it turns out the variable had a letter appended to it or something.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:41:23

At 9/8/07 12:36 AM, AcDiK-DR4G0N wrote:
At 9/8/07 12:34 AM, Cinjection wrote: I ates them.
WHY!? I WANT TO SPEW ON MY KEYBOARD WHILE I LOOK AT HAWT PHP ACTION!

I'm a jealous man. Only few people can see PHP's girlfriend naked.

Anyway, it's funny how things like that work out, it really bugs me when do the same exact thing, and it turns out the variable had a letter appended to it or something.

Or worse, i'm so used to non-php that I've had to fix like 20438545 errors where I leave out the $ in variable names.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:41:29

At 9/7/07 11:45 PM, Cinjection wrote: PHP knows that I don't like it. It knows and it says to me: "Oh, you don't like me? Well then I'm going to make your life suck! HERE! Now your scripts won't work. No matter if they are correct or not. MUAHAHA. Fuck you."

The only thing that you can do is kill it! I could help you....
:writes a php virus

Derp

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 00:45:10

At 9/8/07 12:31 AM, AcDiK-DR4G0N wrote:
At 9/7/07 05:19 PM, kingdarkeyes wrote: I was just wondering... I'm currently making a game (not to impress anybody), and was thinking of staying in the area of making games, so I just thought of the thread out of sheer curiosity.
It's just not needed 'sall man.

I think something like that could be useful, but when it comes down to it, most of what would be included is already in AS: Main.

And because the tutorials would be language independent, you would still have more questions about how to implement the tutorials into AS or whatever language because no one ever takes the time to learn anything.

TimeGames.net - It's about time.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 01:31:24

At 9/8/07 12:41 AM, kingdarkeyes wrote:
writes a php virus

I think that if I killed PHP, the majority of the NG programming forum regs would kill me. We'll just be civil towards each other until this project is done and then go our separate ways.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 02:18:09

At 9/8/07 01:31 AM, Cinjection wrote:
At 9/8/07 12:41 AM, kingdarkeyes wrote:
writes a php virus
I think that if I killed PHP, the majority of the NG programming forum regs would kill me. We'll just be civil towards each other until this project is done and then go our separate ways.

I wonder if you really will part your ways or get back together.
:wonders what to do with php virus......

Derp

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 06:43:27

Dose that make PHP an lesbian 0_o ? I always thought PHP was a she.

I mean

$variables
$like
$this

look way more curvaceous and femaine.
Surely if PHP was a man it would have

£variables
£like
£this

And you cant give birth to objects if your a man.
I will let the rest of you figure it out.

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 07:35:27

Ok, I just need to rant about Linux... I HATE IT!!!
Here's the deal; I work as a junior computer technician and sometime last week, one of the customers didn't want his machine back because it had a broken hardrive; so my kind manager allowed me to take it home... It is an old machine; a Celeron 1GHZ with 128mb of ram, but yeah, so I took it home and I was fortunate enough to have an old computer of ours laying around with a 5GB harddrive so I took it, plugged it in my machine and it seemed responsive enough... From there I decided to try something different and install Linux on it; before doing so, though, I took some time to read about it and it seemed appealing enough to go on my system.

Well that was about 2 days and 1GB of internet Bandwidth ago! The stupid thing just wouldn't install on the damn machine. At first I tried Ubuntu; it ran fine from the CD but it wouldn't let me install, after several hours of trying different things, I decided to look for an alternative distribution of Linux... After doing some more research, I came across an article recommending Xubuntu as a lighter alternative to Ubuntu... Fair enough; I downloaded and burned that one on a CD.

This time, there was another problem; it froze just before I managed to install it to the harddrive... So I decided to upgrade my computer's RAM by taking the 128MB ram chip from my broken machine and put it in my working one. From that point it worked fine off the CD but the damn thing still didn't want to install itself... It kept coming up with errors saying that it wouldn't partition the disk! I tried all the different settings, including automatic, but at best it stopped at like 20% of the installation...

As I was doing that I couldn't help but think back at one of the articles I read which claimed that you could set up Linux in 10 minutes; what a bunch of CRAP!!!
Also, everyone was claiming that Linux has got 'excellent' memory management; well sorry, but it sucked! The thing kept freezing and unfortunately the Ctr-Alt-Delete feature doesn't seem to work in Linux. It's a total piece of SHIT. No wonder Windows is totally kicking their asses; Linux just sucks hands down... I mean; now I understand why it's free; I think I'm actually better off with DOS than this piece of turd. At least DOS works without a CD and it's much more compact.

I think I'm just going to get Solaris instead... At least the good people at Sun Microsystems have common sense. I mean... By the time I'll have managed to install Xubuntu or Ubuntu; I might as well have written my own operating system from scratch.

Seriously...

/end rant

Bla

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 07:42:05

Alphabit: and that's where having a brain comes into play :D
Seriously, get yourself a decent distro, not the pile of shit called Ubuntu.
CentOS, openSUSE, Slackware, ... They all take a bit more effort to learn, but are stable and generally work great.

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 07:51:43

At 9/8/07 07:42 AM, elbekko wrote: Alphabit: and that's where having a brain comes into play :D

Common, it was the first time I even considered using Linux... I just read through various articles and they all pointed to Ubuntu; It's not like my Linux-free brain could help it.

Seriously, get yourself a decent distro, not the pile of shit called Ubuntu.
CentOS, openSUSE, Slackware, ... They all take a bit more effort to learn, but are stable and generally work great.

Ok, cool, I'll try them.

Bla

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 07:55:21

I forgive you for using Ubuntu, but bitching about the whole of Linux because of Ubuntu was just plain stupid.

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. " - Unknown

[ FluxBB developer | Quickmarks 0.5.1 | Strings & Ints - my blog ]

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 08:36:41

At 9/8/07 12:34 AM, Cinjection wrote: Although if PHP had was stronger-typed, then I wouldn't have had to sit here for 2 hours wondering why my sessions weren't working.

- Proof read your code.
- Keep the PHP error log in a separate open window.

> twitter.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 08:41:15

9K exp today. O.O

> twitter.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 09:36:09

Woo!

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 11:21:01

Right now, their are few things that REALLY need to be changed in this forum.

To start with, we really need to have an edit button. I know this has been said a lot, and the main reason against it is that people will change a post realy badly after others have posted. The edit button needs to be availble to be used to change your post so long as no one else has posted and it is within 5 minutes of you posting.

Secondly, the search feture needs to be moved to the top of the forum and made more obvius. It also needs to be a bit more refined. If i want to search for something about C++, then I know my best chances are going to in this forum, not the entire BBS.

Admins need to be able to either move threads or just full on delete them. Maybe have the ability to flag them for deleation, and hwne the fall of the first page they are removed from the forum altogether. At least this way, the people who made the thread will be able to see that thei thred has been locked and will soon be deleated. It will also help reduce the amount of space taken up by the BBS, something that i think the gods of NG seem to worry about.

Lastly, I think that, at least in this forum, when some one makes a new thread, it should be scanned for flash related stuff. if it is found to have a fair bit about flash and action script then a big fat warning should come up saying that chnaces are, this thread should be moved to the flash forum. then have a few more warnings saying how gay they are if they still post this thread and it is indeed about flash stuff.

Well, those are my two cents. I feel a bit better now i have said my bit.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 12:03:29

At 9/8/07 11:21 AM, thecoshman wrote: Right now, their are few things that REALLY need to be changed in this forum.

To start with, we really need to have an edit button. I know this has been said a lot, and the main reason against it is that people will change a post realy badly after others have posted. The edit button needs to be availble to be used to change your post so long as no one else has posted and it is within 5 minutes of you posting.

I'd be just as happy with a preview button, then I could see the mistake before I post. Sometimes it's hard when you have a lot of tags.

Secondly, the search feture needs to be moved to the top of the forum and made more obvius. It also needs to be a bit more refined. If i want to search for something about C++, then I know my best chances are going to in this forum, not the entire BBS.

The search feature does suck. And it would be 100x nicer if it was at the top and you could pick a forum.

TimeGames.net - It's about time.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 12:19:22

At 9/8/07 11:21 AM, thecoshman wrote:

:betterment of forum stuff

It's like you read my mind, those things are dire problems in the BBS(especially the search feature, not just here but every part of the BBS)

Derp

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:08:52

Forum enhancements: I don't know, it works really well as it is. The only thing I think could really benefit is some way for moderators to move topics around the forums.

Editing shouldn't be necessary. If you don't bash your keyboard, and proof read your post before posting, you shouldn't need to use the edit button.

Needless to say, it makes people who can't spend 10 seconds of their time going over errors, look stupid.

> twitter.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:21:54

It still takes me forever to type in the post text area. They should fix that! Or is it a problem on my end? Do you guys still have that typing delay when you type up your posts?

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:24:34

At 9/8/07 03:21 PM, Cinjection wrote: It still takes me forever to type in the post text area. They should fix that! Or is it a problem on my end? Do you guys still have that typing delay when you type up your posts?

None. Perhaps you should copy and paste your text from Notepad or something. (sic)

> twitter.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:32:43

At 9/8/07 03:21 PM, Cinjection wrote: It still takes me forever to type in the post text area. They should fix that! Or is it a problem on my end? Do you guys still have that typing delay when you type up your posts?

I do from before, though now I have delays all over the site now that they launched the redesign. I just hate having to vote on movies now because of the lag.

The only thing that I would change about the forums would not only be the topic moving but to definitely put the search on top and to make it search more "intelligently" but that doesn't mean that people will actually use it.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:33:14

The problem was gone for a while but now it seems to be back, and worse then before.

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:35:15

At 9/8/07 03:33 PM, DearonElensar wrote: The problem was gone for a while but now it seems to be back, and worse then before.

I think it's a result of the redesign. They just haven't gotten all of the bugs out yet. It's annoying but I don't think they'll get to fixing it yet since it's not a major issue.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:43:29

At 9/8/07 03:35 PM, Jessii wrote: I think it's a result of the redesign. They just haven't gotten all of the bugs out yet. It's annoying but I don't think they'll get to fixing it yet since it's not a major issue.

Luckily most of the spelling mistakes etc can be fixed by the spelling control in Firefox.
But it does kinda suck having to sit back and wait for all the text to appear on the screen :D

BBS Signature

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 15:56:17

Gah I either type my post up in notepad or in the google search bar (as i am doing now.. :))

It's quite annoying.

Response to Programming Regs Lounge 2007-09-08 17:07:23

At 9/8/07 03:50 PM, CitricSquid wrote: Spelling check in Firefox has never worked for me, any idea why?

I take you installed a dictionary thingy addon? (at least there weren't any included with mind), if you did it should just work.
You can also try to right click a field to see if there is an "spell check this field" option.

BBS Signature