00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrMeltingPoint just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Username Standards

118,949 Views | 741 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 17:46:30

Geeze, the every standard on this site is really low. Besides the fact that there is a NWS heads up in the flash portal. How about standards for sigs? huh? Your username standards aren't really standards. They kinda suck actually, just no "-" or "_" at the beginning and end of the names.

I come and go. Sometimes I say stupid shit. I'll regret this post when I look back at it next year.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 17:49:53

At 9/10/06 05:20 PM, Doodle wrote:
At 9/10/06 05:18 PM, Dash-Underscore-Dash wrote: Hai guyz, wuts goin' on in dis here thread.
lollerskates?

How'd you see through my moustache disguise?

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 17:51:24

I'm Roflmuffin now.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 17:54:36

Aw Tooooom!

Okay, okay, I'll change mine.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:05:56

At 9/9/06 12:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:

We have, in the past, removed accounts from users who signed up and never did anything after their sign-up date. We will probably do more pruning in the future. Right now, I am re-allocating the names of users who never did anything after joining NG.

Does that mean i can get rid of these numbers?

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:07:31

At 9/10/06 05:17 PM, Pirate_Ducky58 wrote: >>how do u do flash anmation and stuff?

Poor form.

At 9/10/06 05:18 PM, Dash-Underscore-Dash wrote: Hai guyz, wuts goin' on in dis here thread.

Excellent form.

See the difference, people?

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:10:38

Ugh I hate my new username somehow having a hyphen serpearting your name says something while having an underscore sasy something completely different. It'll take some getting used to, oh who the heck am I kidding I won't get used to it. I will always refer to myself as Father_Time out of defiance for you and your holier then though stupid username rules.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:11:28

At 9/10/06 05:41 PM, DFox wrote:
At 9/10/06 05:36 PM, -Reedo11- wrote: Looks like I'll never update my profile ever again then.
But your name will still be changed eventually...

It's funny how many people aren't realising that, yes...

AUTO-FORCING FTW!

At 9/10/06 05:46 PM, Tabascork wrote: Geeze, the every standard on this site is really low. Besides the fact that there is a NWS heads up in the flash portal. How about standards for sigs? huh? Your username standards aren't really standards. They kinda suck actually, just no "-" or "_" at the beginning and end of the names.

These new rules about -'s and _'s aren't really standards, foolio. They're requirements so that the SITE WILL FUNCTION BETTER after the changeover to the new CSS design with userpages and domains and whatever else the admins want to do that no -'s and _'s in usernames will MAKE EASIER, comprende? Wakarimasu ka? Capisce? Savvy?

At 9/10/06 06:05 PM, CoolMan1457 wrote:
At 9/9/06 12:36 PM, TomFulp wrote: We have, in the past, removed accounts from users who signed up and never did anything after their sign-up date. We will probably do more pruning in the future. Right now, I am re-allocating the names of users who never did anything after joining NG.
Does that mean i can get rid of these numbers?

If you ask nicely, maybe.

But technically, your name as it is now is perfectly in compliance, so... there's no need for your name to change as it doesn't have -'s or _'s in it.

Unless the original CoolMan really has been inactive since like 2000 or 2001 and Tom feels like being merciful... hence the "asking nicely" suggestion I made. :::shrugs::: #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:13:28

I circumvented.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:14:44

At 9/10/06 06:10 PM, Father-Time wrote: Ugh I hate my new username somehow having a hyphen serpearting your name says something while having an underscore sasy something completely different. It'll take some getting used to, oh who the heck am I kidding I won't get used to it. I will always refer to myself as Father_Time out of defiance for you and your holier then though stupid username rules.

Please read the posts by myself and ASSMAN on pages 27 and 28.

The new rules are not to be a pain for you, they are for the good of the site. If you don't believe that... then too bad.

Sit down, pay attention, change yer names, and stop complaining. Please? At the very least, if you ignore myself and other users who've been saying this is a good thing, READ THE POSTS BY TOM AND LILJIM. Go into their profiles, read their recent posts. Is that so hard to do? You will quickly find out they aren't making these changes to be MEAN or because it's FUN to them. Those might be side effects, but... heh.

Oh and... BTW, underscores suck. They require shift to type and are utterly pointless as they're a cypher for the spacebar when spaces aren't allowed. At least the dash is easily typed.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:22:06

At 9/10/06 06:14 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 9/10/06 06:10 PM, Father-Time wrote: Ugh I hate my new username somehow having a hyphen serpearting your name says something while having an underscore sasy something completely different. It'll take some getting used to, oh who the heck am I kidding I won't get used to it. I will always refer to myself as Father_Time out of defiance for you and your holier then though stupid username rules.
Please read the posts by myself and ASSMAN on pages 27 and 28.

The new rules are not to be a pain for you, they are for the good of the site. If you don't believe that... then too bad.

Sit down, pay attention, change yer names, and stop complaining. Please? At the very least, if you ignore myself and other users who've been saying this is a good thing, READ THE POSTS BY TOM AND LILJIM. Go into their profiles, read their recent posts. Is that so hard to do? You will quickly find out they aren't making these changes to be MEAN or because it's FUN to them. Those might be side effects, but... heh.

Oh and... BTW, underscores suck. They require shift to type and are utterly pointless as they're a cypher for the spacebar when spaces aren't allowed. At least the dash is easily typed.

What i still don't get is why u are doing this, I don't have the time to go through all 27 pages of this thread (yes I know this is ironic considering my username), but still I have read some of the posts you suggested and I'm still confused, is this for the new site change that Tom has been hinting about for months? Is it just to look better or will this solve some unknown problem that should've come and bit the admins in the but a long time ago? I'm no programmer, I know a little bit of Html but that's it so will you please explain to me why this is done unless it's all a big secret.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:40:39

At 9/10/06 06:16 PM, Doodle wrote: gfoxcook, are you a Moderator or something??

Of course not. Whatever would have given you that impression?

At 9/10/06 06:22 PM, FatherTime89 wrote:
At 9/10/06 06:14 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Please read the posts by myself and ASSMAN on pages 27 and 28.

(snip)

What i still don't get is why u are doing this, I don't have the time to go through all 27 pages of this thread (yes I know this is ironic considering my username), but still I have read some of the posts you suggested and I'm still confused,

Well thank you for at least TRYING, FatherTime. That's more than I can say for a lot of the people whose posts I've read in this topic, and I haven't even read 25% of it.

Since you're trying, I'll try to explain it even better, kay? Here we go:

is this for the new site change that Tom has been hinting about for months?

Most likely.

And it's just generally good username practice, as he mentioned by saying "lots of other sites don't allow these characters in usernames." The reasons for which he left up to our imagination, but it doesn't take much to guess a few of those reasons. They include a lot of technical reasons to make names mostly just letters and numbers (never a bad idea, IMO), not include spaces, and not include a LOT of symbols on our keyboards. Just because you can type something in a post doesn't mean you should be able to have it in your username.

Is it just to look better or will this solve some unknown problem that should've come and bit the admins in the but a long time ago?

I doubt there were really any unknown problems with the site as it was and usernames that have dashes or underscores. This is to solve problems that those characters WILL create once the new site design is released. It makes perfect logical sense that this change to username rules is for the BACKEND of the site (the structure, the foundation, the skeleton, the programming, the coding, whatever you want to call it), not the FRONTEND (the face, the look, the outward appearance, the aesthetics, the superficial cosmetics) of the site.

IOW, this isn't just "to look better," no.

This is so the site can move forward and so Tom and the other admins can implement the awesome design changes they've been wanting to apply to NG without little tickytack technical details getting in the way.

If all of us having simpler, cleaner-looking, but more restrictive and less free usernames means the owner and admins of this site can have a ton more freedom to experiment and improve the site... aren't you all for it?

I'm no programmer, I know a little bit of Html but that's it so will you please explain to me why this is done unless it's all a big secret.

I'm not a programmer either, but if you know some html and you know anything about the web, you should know that if you have a username that's in a URL, say, and the site this username is from allows SPACES (the dreaded space!! OH NOE!) in usernames, then when you try to go to a site like that... say...

http://www.somesite.com/Father Time/index.html

it ain't gonna work! Spaces aren't allowed in web addresses. This is why they're converted to %20 or whatever, if you've ever seen %20s all over the place, that's the reason why.

Similarly, _s or -s might have some technical and practical use in a URL or code, and that would be a reason not to allow them in usernames. Imagine there is a function called "doshit," okay? Here's an example:

doshit(gfoxcook,4,6)

doshit(Father_Time,4,6)

Ooops, the second one doesn't work because of the underscore, the function thinks Father and Time are two different thingies, so it bugs out...

doshit("Father_Time",4,6)

Now maybe putting it all in quotes like that works, but it's a pain in the ass. Why put "s when usernames like gfoxcook and any other single words... = simplicity, = no bugs, = no problems.

I hope this makes it a bit more understandable. This is all just conjecture on my part, but I would wager it bears some resemblance to the truth of the reasons behind this change. I wasn't surprised at all when I heard about this move away from symbols in our usernames, let's just say.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:43:20

>:(

This cuts Tom. This cuts deep.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:44:03

I don't like it :P somehow it feels like snipping down another freedom... makes me want to have underscores and stuff... I want it because I can't have it.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:51:52

t..tom?

can..can I get "JohnnyUtah" if that's not in use?

pretty please?

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 18:55:34

I hate this new rule, but oh well, not my site.

I liked Jim_God way better.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 19:05:51

At 9/10/06 06:40 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Similarly, _s or -s might have some technical and practical use in a URL or code, and that would be a reason not to allow them in usernames. Imagine there is a function called "doshit," okay? Here's an example:

doshit(gfoxcook,4,6)

doshit(Father_Time,4,6)

Ooops, the second one doesn't work because of the underscore, the function thinks Father and Time are two different thingies, so it bugs out...

doshit("Father_Time",4,6)

Now maybe putting it all in quotes like that works, but it's a pain in the ass. Why put "s when usernames like gfoxcook and any other single words... = simplicity, = no bugs, = no problems.

OK, you explained it pretty well.

About the code part, no, underscores and all old ways of making usernames would not cause a problem. Same with database pulling and storing.

It all comes down to the myusername.newgrounds.com

Like you said, underscores are not allowed in domain names. Some browsers would handle it differently, and some would probably just throw an error right away.

But then it comes down the the Apache part.

From a programming standpoint, I would say these URLs are not going to be physical subdomains...

Meaning James and Ross are probably using something called Apache mod_rewrite to re-write requested dynamic subdomains, meaning when you type username.newgrounds.com, it processes the page as newgrounds.com/users?id=myuserid, but it looks like username.newgrounds.com. Mod_rewrite probably doesn't support underscores.

That's what I think.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 19:43:26

well, too bad for super joe. looks like he'll have to change his name.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 19:53:21

At 9/10/06 06:43 PM, -Buddhist- wrote: >:(

This cuts Tom. This cuts deep.

Wouldn't you rather be just "Buddhist" anyway? If so, ask and ye (probably) shall receive.

At 9/10/06 06:44 PM, Inglor wrote: I don't like it :P somehow it feels like snipping down another freedom... makes me want to have underscores and stuff... I want it because I can't have it.

You know, that's a perfectly good character trait some of the times. Especially when authority is ONLY taking something away because the people wants it.

But they're not in this case. They've got reasons that have nothing at all to do with the users' username quirks.

This is nothing personal, folks. It's just business.

Now stop being like kids who only do bad shit because their parents tell them not to. It gets old after awhile.

At 9/10/06 07:05 PM, DFox wrote: OK, you explained it pretty well.

About the code part, no, underscores and all old ways of making usernames would not cause a problem. Same with database pulling and storing.

Well, different programming languages work differently, but one thing that's almost universally true is that the more complex a string gets, the more of a pain in the ass it is, and the more it needs quotes around itself to not confuse programs or functions.

That's all I was getting at.

It all comes down to the myusername.newgrounds.com

Like you said, underscores are not allowed in domain names. Some browsers would handle it differently, and some would probably just throw an error right away.

You're probably right. But I dunno much about this new userpage/domain thingie. I've just heard other users talking about it, not the admins themselves. So I'm assuming that there could be other reasons beyond just the xxx.ng.com concept where -'s and _'s are a bad thing.

Hence my example back on page 27 about how I personally am cheesed whenever I have to add someone to my Excel spreadsheet for my pentalist... and they have -'s or _'s all over the place. PAIN IN TEH ARSENESS.

That's what I think.

You iz teh smart.

I did some Fortran in college, some Matlab in college... before that, some Basic and Logo as a kid.

HTML and such as an adult, but nothing too complex. Never done MySQL, never done PHP, never done C, C+, C++, or any variant.

I am programming ignorant, for the most part. ;_;

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 19:55:49

At 9/10/06 07:53 PM, gfoxcook wrote: You iz teh smart.

lol, nah, I suck.

I did some Fortran in college, some Matlab in college... before that, some Basic and Logo as a kid.

Ahh, I could see by your post you had some programming under your belt :)

HTML and such as an adult, but nothing too complex. Never done MySQL, never done PHP, never done C, C+, C++, or any variant.

I am programming ignorant, for the most part. ;_;

Well as long as you know the concept of programming like you do, it all makes sense :)

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 19:57:43

hEY THIS IS GREAT SHIT MAN THANKS A LOT NOW I CAN HARASS NEWGROUNDS AGAIN

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:03:21

Well I'm staying this way cus I'm hardcore and shit. Fuck the system.

Don't mind me either, apart from occasionally getting myself banned here I won't do anything.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:07:10

Frankly, I'd rather just have my name be Frank.

But that's just me being frank.

HAHA PUNNY.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:36:58

I will work with contributing users (such as Flash authors, Audio Portal contributors, high ranking users) to give them the best names possible.

Good policy to have. I don't pity those who don't contribute to NG's who lose their handles already

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:47:44

This new rule kicks ass!
Unfortunately, it doesn't affect me.
Why aren't _'s and --'s allowed? Is it for extra accounts in case you get banned?

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:54:15

At 9/10/06 08:47 PM, Ranger2 wrote: Why aren't _'s and --'s allowed? Is it for extra accounts in case you get banned?

Domain names for user personal page.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

BBS Signature

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 20:55:45

At 9/10/06 08:54 PM, Ultimate wrote:
At 9/10/06 08:47 PM, Ranger2 wrote: Why aren't _'s and --'s allowed? Is it for extra accounts in case you get banned?
Domain names for user personal page.

that shit sucks man fuck it

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 21:41:29

Ahh man... i just remade my account 5 days ago :(

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 21:50:03

How do I change my user name? I have an underscore name and want to change it.

Response to New Username Standards 2006-09-10 21:55:44

At 9/10/06 09:50 PM, l2iver_l3lues wrote: How do I change my user name? I have an underscore name and want to change it.

http://www.newground..gold/editprofile.php