00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I started smoking today.

8,733 Views | 191 Replies

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:39:56

At 8/28/06 10:53 AM, Intrinsik4 wrote:
At 8/28/06 05:49 AM, Specusci wrote: I really don't understand why everyone thinks that they should have a monopoly on the actions of others.
So I’ll be completely open with you eh?

1. I got involved in this topic not because of my grandmother. Rather, the reason I’m so vehement about not smoking has more to do with my recently working at a convenience store. I promoted smoking via sales in order to keep my job, and this disgusted me. Here in this thread, I’m handed someone who just began smoking. I’m handed an opportunity to make up for my past sins. Consciously speaking? I was clueless to this motivation until after I shut down my computer and sat in bed thinking about it. I know consciously that my selling cigarettes was a done deed, but the urge to redeem myself was there regardless. It sounds pretty funny written out.

I honestly have no idea what that feels like. Sorry. Call me cold, but I couldn't care less how my actions effected another person, unless to promote a personal belief or further a goal. My best advice would be to "redeem" yourself in a less contaminating manner.

2. I am now in this topic for a different reason: jealousy. I’m jealous of people who can faithfully recite blind ideals that pander to, rather than justify, their weaknesses.

Reciting blind ideals to pander weakness is as bad as acting out on jealousy.

You underestimate the power of self-delusion. 20 years from now, this thread will be forgotten, and he’ll be blaming the cigarettes.

Then let him.

I understand that my thoughts are my thoughts, and I hope that others understand that I understand that. I just find things easier to read and understand when you don’t have to say “I think” in every clause. Additionally, omitting things like “I think” implies confidence in one thoughts, and increases the chances of being considered. And… I do have a good amount of confidence in my thoughts.

I think that different cultures and societies would think differently of this. Where I am from, it is considered arrogant to omit "I Think", as this implies you are so confident in your belief that you believe it is factual.

Wrong… I will explain why…

First off, the urge is part of the want, specifically, an involuntary manifestation of want. You want to kill someone. You do not want to go to jail. The two conditions are however, tied to one another created what I’ll call (for lack of a better word at the moment) a “situation.” Through reasoning, one could then conclude that they do not want to get involved in such a situation. The want to kill someone either remains or is suppressed. The fact that such a want is suppressed does not mean the want is not wanted, it means the consequence and likewise the “situation” is not wanted.

These are a variety of wants. The want discussed here is the overall effect, the end product. An urge is a primitive form of "want", but an intelligent being would see that the immediate effect of such urges is not immediatly effecient/effective to fulfill the want. Instead, it will consider the possible outcomes of situations inolving the fulfillment of the want, then either eliminate or ignore the urge until later. Effectively, they no longer want to carry out the action. You may stare into the eyes of your most hated enemy, and want to kill them, but you will realize that you may be disadvantaged to do so at the particular moment, so you no longer want to carry out the action.

Also, my point was not one of cause and effect, or actions and consequence. It was an example of controlling/limiting factors. You are limited by the foresight of consequence and reason in the murder example. Other examples…

1. A child wants a new toy but has not the money.
2. A weakling wants to beat up a bully but has not the strength.
3. A person wishes to fly but has not the wings.

All of the above can also include consequence and reasoning when applied to an instance.

I see. However, I wouldn't consider the situation as such.

You’re trying to paint an absurdist picture. But I rather agree with you. However, alcohol in moderation is healthy, and driving can be necessitated in certain situations.

Even if you drive safely, not everyone else does. You don't have to be the drunk one to be involved in a drunk driving accident.

Studies have shown that smokers are more productive; however, it is not from the smoke. It is from the nicotine. (Incase anyone was going to bring that up to counter my alcohol in moderation point.)

It doesn't make them live any longer, nor does it decrease the chance of developing cancer. What good is heightened productivity, when only half of the common working life might be useful?

This is a public thread. The author knew that going in.

Yesh, I get a little carried away sometimes. Alot. Just ignore the senseless ranting. And no jokes about my entire argument being senseless ranting :-\

People live vicariously all the time.

An evolutionary mechanism.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:47:31

YOU BASTARDS!!!!!! YOU BLEW IT UP!!!!!!! LOST ANOTHERONE TO LUCIFER!!!!!! DAMN YOU SAITAN!!!!!! DAMN YOU AND YOU CIGARETTE COMPANYS!!! YOU'VE CLAIMED YET ANOTHER SOUL!!!!!!

but seriously stop smoking!!!!! i can't stand anyone who abuses their body!!!!! it makes me sick!!!!!! its just fucked up how many people have been killed by smoking. or any kind of drugs.

mmmmm....sig......

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:50:00

Okay I'm back for a second before classes start.
First of all, that whole murder argument is silly. I don't care enough about other people to kill them. Noone will ever bother me enough to justify me sacrificing the rest of my life to a prison for them.

I'm going to moderate myself. No more than one pack a week. That's very easy. If I start doing it regularly, I'll buy a pack on Monday, for example. Then I won't buy another until the next monday. If they last longer than the next Monday, the day after I run out is the new buying day.
See how that works? If I ever break and buy some early, that's when I know that it's controlling me, and that's where I'm going to draw the line.
I thought about it all last night and this thread is what lead me to that idea. Now I have a concrete plan and a definite line drawn. You have to admit that's a good idea.

Also, Intrinsik knows what he's talking about. I understand why you would think I'm doing it "to compensate for liberties", but I never thought about any of that before making this thread. I was already going to smoke, but there were no liberties to compensate for. I hadn't had or thought of opposition.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:53:22

At 8/28/06 11:50 AM, ___Owsley___ wrote: Okay I'm back for a second before classes start.
First of all, that whole murder argument is silly. I don't care enough about other people to kill them. Noone will ever bother me enough to justify me sacrificing the rest of my life to a prison for them.

I'm going to moderate myself. No more than one pack a week. That's very easy. If I start doing it regularly, I'll buy a pack on Monday, for example. Then I won't buy another until the next monday. If they last longer than the next Monday, the day after I run out is the new buying day.
See how that works? If I ever break and buy some early, that's when I know that it's controlling me, and that's where I'm going to draw the line.
I thought about it all last night and this thread is what lead me to that idea. Now I have a concrete plan and a definite line drawn. You have to admit that's a good idea.

Also, Intrinsik knows what he's talking about. I understand why you would think I'm doing it "to compensate for liberties", but I never thought about any of that before making this thread. I was already going to smoke, but there were no liberties to compensate for. I hadn't had or thought of opposition.

A couple of smokes a day will still kill you eventually, but then again so does breathing in the first place. Just work out and eat healthily, the problem with most smokers is that they forget about the rest of the crap involved in keeping yourself alive. An overabundance of ANYTHING is bad.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:54:14

My dad smoked. He got divorced from my mom, and died of lung related illnesses.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 11:55:43

please. just quit now while you not in too deep. i can't stand it! it makes me want to puke. i believe the cigarette companys, and those organizations who produce, distribute, sell drugs, are all owned by lucifer. not litteraly of course. but still. stop, i can't stand it.

mmmmm....sig......

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 12:06:02

At 8/28/06 11:50 AM, ___Owsley___ wrote: Okay I'm back for a second before classes start.

No, I was just making a comparison. I have no idea if you would commit murder or not.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 17:25:10

Nope. Smoking is wrong, no matter what. But it's your choice. =]

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 17:27:33

At 8/28/06 12:21 AM, Enoll wrote: Just don't smoke too much, otherwise your fingers will go black.
And that's fucking nasty.

That only happens to me with joints. Hm, oh well.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 17:59:23

At 8/28/06 05:23 PM, Intrinsik4 wrote: It was an example. An analogy, a metaphor. I wasn’t saying that you smoke because you can’t kill people, or that you even want to kill people. I was saying that smoking was a way to compensate for things (these things are the things I was comparing the whole killing thing to) that, if you could do them, would prove to yourself that you are not being controlled by anything. But you can’t because the consequences that follow those things are consequences you don’t want to deal with (so you are being controlled which in turn feeds the need to feel uncontrolled), so you turn to smoking: something just controversial enough to give you the satisfaction without causing all the trouble.

The only problem with that is that I never considered smoking to be controversial, except maybe to my parents. It tastes good. That's why I like it. That's why I do it.
It tastes like some sort of foreign cinnamon and it makes my mouth happy.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:02:37

Well ___Owsley___ I hope you enjoy life with bad breathing smelly clothes and a bad heart!

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:03:27

they say like that 80% of worlds population somkes, welcome to the nicotine club of slow death or invisible death....

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:12:16

YOUR GONNA DIE...so stop smoking...cause...it's not good...for,hum...oh never mind

I love ya all!!

BBS Signature

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:14:42

At 8/28/06 06:12 PM, Quebecboy wrote: YOUR GONNA DIE...so stop smoking...cause...it's not good...for,hum...oh never mind

they don't listen, in a few years we all are gonna dye of cancer because of the fatal fumes of the cigar...

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:56:03

At 8/28/06 12:19 AM, ___Owsley___ wrote: Unfortunately, it was delicious and I loved it. I had a few more over the course of the day, and now I'm a cigarette smoker. All the way. Go cigarettes, if you ask me.
Great. Now I'm going to die or something.

Yeah you should stop as soon as possible, it will get very hard to quit very fast, and wouldn't it taste better to do just about anything else? Like eat ham sandwiches.

Although I'm sure me telling you to stop won't matter, it seems like once someone is hooked on cigarettes, they ignore the 95% of people telling them they should stop, and only pay attention to the other 5%. I know a LOT of people that smoke, and every one of them wishes they would have quit when they started, 'cause they can't now.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 18:57:23

Congradulations on contributing to your earily death

BBS Signature

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:03:00

Well, actually those black things you smoked are cigars, not cigarrettes and they dont make addiction like cigarrettes do.. So dont worry about your health..

>:(

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:10:15

At 8/28/06 12:19 AM, ___Owsley___ wrote: So I've never smoked a cigarette before today. They just never appealed to me.
Today, though, my roommate offered me some sort of strange black one. I was intrigued, because I had never seen a black cigarette before. Naturally, my curiosity lead me to try it.
Unfortunately, it was delicious and I loved it. I had a few more over the course of the day, and now I'm a cigarette smoker. All the way. Go cigarettes, if you ask me.
Great. Now I'm going to die or something.

Homeboy gives you a clove cigarette and you're all about smoking?

That's like a dude saying he loves alcohol now that he's tried Zima.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:11:08

If you're going to smoke either smoke cigars (yum) or rolling tobacco.
In Britain it costs me £2.50 for a pouch of tobacco which lasts me 3 days as apposed to manifactured cigarettes which cost the same for 10 and i get 30 out of a pouch... oo the cheapness...

We get warnings woo.. "Smoking may reduce the blood flow and cause impotence" so not only will you get cancer you wont be able to get it up

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:11:58

Good now youll be poor just barely being able to buy them then
you will get cancer then you be to poor to pay.
Not a good choice stop before you truly get addictid(sp?)

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:18:13

I wish i never started smoking.

BBS Signature

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:21:25

ronald mcdonald smoked and he hanged himself

I started smoking today.

GTFO,STFU,FUBAR,OMFG

BBS Signature

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:23:02

i loooooovvvve

Peach blunts.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:23:55

the thing i don't understand about cigarettes is that, unlike weed, it doesn't give you any sort of high, and it's addicting..

yet people still choose to do it.

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:25:11

FUCKIN IDIOT :D... joking of course.. smoking is BAD :)

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:25:56

At 8/28/06 07:23 PM, kreten wrote: the thing i don't understand about cigarettes is that, unlike weed, it doesn't give you any sort of high, and it's addicting..

You smoke tobacco with weed, meaning you can get addicted to it if you smoke weed.
Thats why I started.

Well, I started in 4th grade because i thought I was hardcore but I stopped.

BBS Signature

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:26:12

At 8/28/06 07:23 PM, kreten wrote: the thing i don't understand about cigarettes is that, unlike weed, it doesn't give you any sort of high, and it's addicting..

Acually cigs have there own high..you double hit on a ciggarette, you get buuuzzzeeedd. it feels awwwwsssooommee!

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:39:14

Now you're one of the cool kids.
:)

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:45:07

At 8/28/06 07:41 PM, Josh wrote: I got a pack 7 hours ago and I smoked 17 cigarettes from it, gave one away and now I have 2 left.

So today I smoked:

2.42 cigarettes an hour.

oh jeebus :|

Response to I started smoking today. 2006-08-28 19:45:09

haha now you have to go around asking people if they have a fag. lol