00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Microphone... again.

2,432 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 13:05:35

I remember posting about mics... but I lost the thread. I'll need some suggestions... under $30 please. And how would you hook the mic up to your computer (adapter, etc...)?

I'm looking at some Shure Microphones at the moment.

Thanks,
G9

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 14:17:54

Ugh, under 30? Can you save up a bit more? There are some decent mics in the $50-$100 range, but I don't know of any decent under 30. What are you using the mic for?

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 14:28:43

Shure is great. Some other brands you should look into are AKG, Audio Technica, Audix, Behringer, and Sennheiser. For hooking a mic up to your computer, you will need what's called an External Audio Interface. It's basically a fancy sound card that has mic pre-amps and hooks up to your computer via USB2.0 or Firewire400 (or Firewire800 for some of the fancier, more expensive ones). Some good brands for interfaces are Edirol, M-Audio, and Tascam.

Whenever it comes to gear, reviews are everything. Don't rely on the reviews on online music stores because they're always BS; they only display the good reviews so they can make money. Sites like HarmonyCentral.com have HUGE user review databases, and they're great if you've already researched some specific models beforehand. Click "User Reviews" up top and you'll be taken to their database.

For mics, I would look out for two specific things: One, mics with on/off switches on them ... DON'T GET THEM. I just don't trust them ... they always break. They may be great for your casual karaoke bar, but if you're doing any recording, just stay way from them. And two, Behringer stuff. I know I recommended the brand, but a lot of their stuff is like the mics with switches scenario: it just doesn't last. Again, reviews are key here.

To be frank, it would be really difficult to get anything of quality with $30. I would highly recommend that you save for something better. I would get a Shure SM-58 which is the industry standard. It will give you great quality, and you can use it as a baseball bat and it will not break (okay ... don't try that one). I've gigged in countless venues and run sound tech at tons of events, and this is the mic of choice wherever you go. Don't get me the wrong way, this isn't some fancy studio condenser mic I'm recommending to you here - this is the bare-bones, get-the-job-done, biggest-bang-for-the-buck type of thing. If I may humbly suggest, the SM-58 would be one of the wisest investments you could ever make in audio gear.

For interfaces, I haven't really kept up with that market lately, so I can't really suggest any specific models to you. Any of the lower-end M-Audio stuff is good for single-mic uses and such. Again, reviews, reviews, reviews.

Now here's the part you've been dreading: prices. An SM-58 will retail for about $100 online, and at the price range of interfaces you're looking at, I'll estimate that your interface will cost anywhere between $50-$150. Nothing comes cheap in the audio world, and again, I'm not being an anal audio pro saying that the top-of-the-line-stuff is the only way to go. The stuff I've listed is entry-level stuff that'll get you the best sound for your money.

My secret to good deals is Guitar Center. You can haggle for ANYTHING there. If you're not so comfortable doing it yourself, then bring a friend who's good at bartering, give him the money, and have him act like he's buying it. You can probably get an SM-58 for around $80 if you haggle it well, and perhaps even $60 or $70 for a used one.

Another good solution is to look around places like here in the AP Forum and see if anyone is selling their gear. Craigslist is another option as well.

Ack ... sorry, this is probably the messiest post I've ever made. To conclude, it all comes down to reviews, making a fair initial investment, and smart buying. Now that I've spewed my brains out, I will say goodbye and good luck to you good sir ... (That was a lot of "good"'s)

Okay, for real this time, cheers.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 14:32:45

At 7/28/06 02:28 PM, tedJohnston wrote: extensive reply

Wow, great writeup Ted!

G9, if you want, you can basically ignore my response, because Ted said the same thing and more (but if you're reading this, you probably already read that, so nevermind).

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 14:55:26

At 7/28/06 02:32 PM, DavidOrr wrote: Wow, great writeup Ted!

Heh, I try. ; ) I do what I can to better our society of audio geeks here ... okay, nevermind ... just ignore this post, hahaha.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 16:35:12

Thanks Ted... how did 30 get in there? I meant 50... I will read up Ted's guide and post my selections. Thank you guys!

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 16:57:30

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 18:08:34

What are you intending to record?

If voice only, i'd go with a dynamic mic, like ULTRAVOICE XM8500, but if you're looking to record all-around stuff (like you slamming a door, as a sound for a flash) i strongly recommend a condenser (because they're more sensitive), like ATR25.

Matter in fact, if I was to choose between those mics i'd go with the ATR25, or the Behringer. I know behringer delivers a lot for your money, i bought a digital mixer with them, it has all the features the big guns do, but it's a fourth of the price :D

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 18:28:41

At 7/28/06 06:08 PM, T7online wrote: What are you intending to record?

It's mostly voice acting/podcasting. I'll be doing some sound effect recording, but not as much as podcasting. In that case, what do you recommend?

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 18:37:35

I still recommend the condenser. It's so much nicer to have an all-around mic. And trust me, condensers work for vocals too, try listening to my track "Grey (NG Cut)", those vocals are done with a condenser.

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 19:26:23

you could always get a cheap mic at radioshack, they aren't great but they're cheap. and you could always upgrade.

\" \ " / "/ - Myspace

\" \ " / "/ - Xenovora - my best song yet

\" \ " / "/ - my website

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 20:08:03

At 7/28/06 07:26 PM, DJCityScape wrote: you could always get a cheap mic at radioshack, they aren't great but they're cheap. and you could always upgrade.

I already have a $20 Logitech USB desk microphone.

At 7/28/06 06:37 PM, T7online wrote: I still recommend the condenser. It's so much nicer to have an all-around mic. And trust me, condensers work for vocals too, try listening to my track "Grey (NG Cut)", those vocals are done with a condenser.

So there's not really much difference between condenser and unidirectional when it comes to voice-recording?

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-28 23:42:03

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please read T7's suggestion and the above post made by me.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 01:20:55

Condenser mics are very sensitive mics. In order to use one for voice recording, you would need a pop filter and you would also need to speak about six or so inches away from the mic. A pop filter is a screen of metal or fabric mesh that goes in front of the mic to prevent the "P" and "F" sounds from your mouth from making that "pff" noise in recordings. It acts like that ball of metal mesh that you find over ordinary mics.

Dynamic mics (or "ordinary mics" from the sentence before) are less sensitive, and you can talk directly into them much more comfortably. To oversimplify, dynamic mics are used for all close-miking applications while condensers are used from at a distance, or for high-quality situations.

If all you will be doing is recording podcasts, then I recommend a dynamic mic (do I hear the SM-58 screaming your name?) If you plan on recording things that will be captured from a distance, like concerts or board-room meetings, then go with the condenser. Basically, the condenser CAN do anything the dynamic can, and more, but one, it will be more difficult to use with your typical voice-over stuff, and two, it will be much more fragile than your average SM-58, and more prone to breakage.

I didn't look at every single mic link you posted there, but you said that they were all under $60. Again, I will tell you straight up that it will be hard to get something of quality at that level. I don't keep recommending you the SM-58 because I'm some Shure representative (they should pay me for this), but because it is a great mic on all levels of audio work. This is literally a mic that you could use for the rest of your life. Even if you go pro and work with million-dollar equipment each day, I guarantee you, you will still have uses for this mic. There's a reason why it is virtually ubiquitous in the audio community today. Go ahead, ask any of your local audio pros, and see what they say about it.

Oh, one more thing, many condenser mics require what's called "Phantom Power". Once again, to oversimplify, condenser mics usually need more power than dynamic mics. If you decide to go down that avenue, check to see whether or not your mic requires phantom power, and at what voltage. If your mic requires phantom power, make sure you get an interface that has phantom power! It is usually a feature that you can turn on and off on the interface, but make sure the interface you're getting has it! Also, I mentioned voltage. The standard phantom power voltage is 48v. Try to stick to that. If a mic you're interested in has some weird voltage requirement like 7v or something, you'd do best to stay away from it because it would be near impossible to find an interface that will deliver 7v phantom power! Just stick to 48v and you'll be good and rosy.

Well, good luck with all that.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 01:23:44

Another great reply by Ted.

Regardless of whether your mic requires Phantom Power, I would STRONGLY advise you to get an interface with it anyway. You are most likely going to encounter it at some point, and might as well be prepared.

BBS Signature

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 01:51:04

At 7/29/06 01:23 AM, DavidOrr wrote: Regardless of whether your mic requires Phantom Power, I would STRONGLY advise you to get an interface with it anyway. You are most likely going to encounter it at some point, and might as well be prepared.

Yes, that's a really great point ... Ignore what I said about phantom power in the previous post. Just get an interface with 48v phantom power, hahaha. : P

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 03:46:20

At 7/28/06 02:28 PM, tedJohnston wrote: Shure is great. Some other brands you should look into are AKG, Audio Technica, Audix, Behringer, and Sennheiser. For hooking a mic up to your computer, you will need what's called an External Audio Interface. It's basically a fancy sound card that has mic pre-amps and hooks up to your computer via USB2.0 or Firewire400 (or Firewire800 for some of the fancier, more expensive ones). Some good brands for interfaces are Edirol, M-Audio, and Tascam.

Though you could probably live off an external Soundblaster Live! for the kind of work you'll be doing with it.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 03:57:18

At 7/29/06 01:20 AM, tedJohnston wrote: In order to use one for voice recording, you would need a pop filter

Sure? I'm pretty certain that dynmaic mics just usually have it built in :/

But your right, getting a condenser can be complex, i just know i love mine and i've got both phantom power and pop-filter on it.

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 04:46:17

Sure? I'm pretty certain that dynmaic mics just usually have it built in :/

Yeah, that's what that metal mesh ball is at the top of dynamic microphones, built-in pop-filters, whereas dynamic mics designed for instrument recording rather than voice work like the SM-57 do not have the mesh ball. 57s are used for close-miking snare/tom drums, horn instruments, etc.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 04:54:10

not all condensers have to be phantom powered, some take batterys. Also for vocals id suggest a cardoid mic, as it will accept noise from the front and reject any additional noise from the sides and back making for a cleaner recording

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 06:13:10

Some condensers don't require additional power at all, but the majority will use phantom power.

With cardioid, you're getting into polar patterns which can get pretty confusing ... Almost all your entry-level microphones that are under the $100 will be cardiod, that's not really anything to worry about.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 06:17:01

At 7/29/06 06:13 AM, tedJohnston wrote: With cardioid, you're getting into polar patterns which can get pretty confusing ... Almost all your entry-level microphones that are under the $100 will be cardiod, that's not really anything to worry about.

yeh i spose, what is it he's trying to record anyway?

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 07:31:22

He wants to record vocals.

"At 7/28/06 06:08 PM, T7online wrote:
What are you intending to record?

It's mostly voice acting/podcasting. I'll be doing some sound effect recording, but not as much as podcasting. In that case, what do you recommend?"

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 07:43:24

At 7/29/06 07:31 AM, T7online wrote: It's mostly voice acting/podcasting. I'll be doing some sound effect recording, but not as much as podcasting. In that case, what do you recommend?"

In that case, as he wants something cheap, id go for the sm58, as it has a kind of pop shield built in. Shure also have a budget line, i dunno what its like, but you could check it out, its called like the pg58 or something

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 09:39:01

Yeah, I've already mentioned the SM-58 so many times in this thread that I qualify to be a Shure representative. ; ) I personally would not even think about the PG line.

Look G9, in my opinion, if you spend what money you have now on something cheap, it will serve you okay short term, but you'll really end up regretting it later. I keep mentioning the SM-58 because it's the cheapest thing you can get that you won't ever regret buying.

At 7/29/06 03:46 AM, Khuskan wrote: Though you could probably live off an external Soundblaster Live! for the kind of work you'll be doing with it.

Yeah, I suppose a sound card with a mic pre-amp could work as well. It might be cheaper as well. If you're going to go that route, look for a sound card that has a mic pre-amp and an "XLR input" (it's the type of plug your average mic uses).

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 17:09:55

Okay, I've increased my budget... and it seems that everyone's recommending the SM58. Now, besides the external audio thing, or whatever, what else would I need? How would I set it up so I wouldn't have to hold it up to my face to talk :P

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 17:24:03

At 7/29/06 05:09 PM, G9 wrote: Okay, I've increased my budget... and it seems that everyone's recommending the SM58. Now, besides the external audio thing, or whatever, what else would I need? How would I set it up so I wouldn't have to hold it up to my face to talk :P

im actually gonna go against everyone and say, while yes, 58's a good, im my OPINION id go with the sennheiser e80, same price, but better qulaity, i have both, so i would know

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-29 19:58:58

At 7/29/06 05:24 PM, Love_Hate_War wrote: im actually gonna go against everyone and say, while yes, 58's a good, im my OPINION id go with the sennheiser e80, same price, but better qulaity, i have both, so i would know

Alright, can someone confirm this? It all depends on their availability at guitar center.

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-07-30 00:23:59

e80? I believe you're talking about either the e835 or the e840. The e835 is priced close to the SM-58, but the e840 is more expensive.

And it is not really a matter of quality as it is a matter of perception. The reason people think that the SM-58 is of lesser quality than your comparable Audix or Sennheiser mics is because the SM-58 has a built-in mid cut in it, and so when people switch to other mics, it creates this illusion that the other mics are "fuller" sounding, when really it's just a matter of EQ. It is also a matter of vocal preferences and such. And it usually doesn't help that people always EQ out the mids by habit either.

G9, I suggest you go to Guitar Center and ask them if they could hook up multiple mics for you to a PA so you can directly compare them. Make sure that whatever mixer they hook you up to has all the channels set identically so you can compare the mics with accuracy. Set any EQs to flat, and, "Testing 1, 2, 3" away. Have fun! XD

Response to Microphone... again. 2006-08-05 20:33:39

I'm not sure about your last paragraph... could you clarify? I'm pretty set on SM-58. Anyone supporting?