00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twitchinvisor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Buffet Donates $37 Billion

1,245 Views | 19 Replies

Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 13:35:47

Buffett donates $37bn to charity

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett has said he had been waiting for decades to make a huge charitable donation.

Speaking for the first time since revealing he would donate about $37bn (£20bn) to Bill Gates' charitable foundation, he said he was overjoyed.

"This has been coming for fifty years," Mr Buffett said. "There's never really been any other plan in terms of where the money should go."

The donation is thought to be the largest charitable gift ever in the US.

Giving people a chance

Mr Buffett will hand 10 million shares in his Berkshire Hathaway firm to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

The man known as "the sage of Omaha" for his relentless success in investments said he always wanted to give the bulk of his fortune away.

However, the right means of doing so do had only become apparent in the past year.

"I am not an enthusiast of dynastic wealth, particularly when the alternative is six billion people having that much poorer hands in life than we have, having a chance to benefit from the money," he said.

Mr and Mrs Gates have said they are "awed" by the donation.

The foundation aims to fight disease and promote education around the world.

News of the donation comes shortly after Mr Gates announced he is to step away from his day-to-day role at software giant Microsoft.

By July 2008 Mr Gates, the world's richest businessman, will concentrate on the foundation, which is currently worth just under $30bn.

BBC business editor Robert Peston said the size of the foundation's cash pile dwarfed that of other organisations, and compared it with the $12bn annual budget of the United Nations.

He added that the foundation was "an extraordinary new force in the voluntary sector".

New will

Mr Buffett is worth an estimated $44bn, according to Forbes magazine.

--- --- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation --- ---

Fund of $29.1bn
$10.5bn in grants since 1994
Aims: reducing poverty and improving health and access to education
Largest grant: $1bn to the United Negro College Fund
70% of aid spent outside US
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --

As well as donating to the Gates foundation, he also pledged shares for his three children and a substantial gift for a foundation named for his late wife, Susan Thompson Buffett.

All the gifts will be awarded yearly, with 5% of each donation passed on each year, it was announced.

He confirmed his decision in letters to the recipients, and said he would write a new will to ensure the money continues to be distributed after his death.

"We are awed by our friend Warren Buffett's decision to use his fortune to address the world's most challenging inequities, and we are humbled that he has chosen to direct a large portion of it to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation," the couple's statement said.

In making his award, Mr Buffett - who plays bridge with Mr Gates - said he chose to distribute his wealth to an existing foundation out of respect for its current work.

"Who wouldn't select Tiger Woods to take his place in a high-stakes golf game? That's how I feel about this decision with my money," he told Fortune magazine.

"I don't think I'm as well cut out to be a philanthropist as Bill and Melinda are," he added.

One of the terms of the donation is that at least one of Bill or Melinda Gates continues to be involved with the foundation.

The foundation has evolved into one of the leading philanthropical organisations in the world, listing as one of its primary goals "reducing the 'unconscionable disparity' that exists between the way that we live and the way that the people of the developing world live".

Simple life

Stacy Palmer, editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, said that Mr Buffett's donation was the largest made by one person in the US.

She explained that Mr Buffett's largesse eclipses the charitable donations of such well-known givers as John D Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie.

Despite his huge wealth, Mr Buffett has modest tastes, is called a "cola and hamburger kind of guy", plays the ukulele, and still lives in the same house he bought in his home town of Omaha, Nebraska, in 1957.

During his interview, Mr Buffett explained that the death of his wife Susan was one of the reasons behind his donation to the Gates Foundation, because he had thought she would outlive him and handle the dispersal of his wealth.

This really is incredible. That is such a huge donation and Buffet is a much better man because of it.

If only more of our rich were like this : (

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 13:36:44

Pretty pathetic, I must say. These guys make billions each year, and only donate paltry sums. Give 3/4 of your fortune or something. Seriously.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 13:39:34

At 6/26/06 01:36 PM, GSgt_Liberal wrote: Pretty pathetic, I must say. These guys make billions each year, and only donate paltry sums. Give 3/4 of your fortune or something. Seriously.

would you be willing to do that?

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 14:33:43

I have to give Gates a lot of credit. I think he was an unethical businessman in his early years, but he certainly deserves accolades for the work he is doing now. I'm glad to see that he appreciates all the benefits he has received and that he is using them to help others. I almost feel guilty for using open source software of microsoft.

The Internet is like a screwdriver. You can use it to take an engine apart and understand it, or you can see how far you can stick it in your ear until you hit resistance.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 14:42:36

I cant even understand how much moneyt that is. You could anything you ever wanted multiple times. At least he is sharing is wealth and not hording it like other rich people.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 14:44:20

At 6/26/06 01:36 PM, GSgt_Liberal wrote: Pretty pathetic, I must say. These guys make billions each year, and only donate paltry sums. Give 3/4 of your fortune or something. Seriously.

I bet the starving children who are recieving the 37 BILLION aren't complaining like you are. And if I'm correct, Bill Gates has 50 billion, so Buffet has less than that so he did donate over half of his worth.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 15:28:01

He has 44 billion and he is giving 37 billion.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 16:04:42

Thats a lot of people thats going to be helped out.. Good man.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 17:05:09

37 billion. Wow.

At first I was like "...Jimmy Buffet?". Heh. It is really great to see someone really doing a spectacular thing for humanity. Imagine how many people this could help out. Now if only we could get others to follow suit. I mean, he's still got roughly 7 billion dollars left, and that's more than most could spend in a lifetime, so why not have many of these celebrities and billionaires like Mark Cuban or Larry Page/Sergei Brin or whoever donate a large portion of their money to charity like Buffet?

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 17:49:49

I think cnn said that the donation would equal $125 for every person in the usa

...that'd be cool to get a check in the mail from him :)

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 21:46:13

I think Buffet is a great guy for doing this but I don't think that $37 billion is really alot of money, in comparison to what governments give to these kind of charities. With the United States, European Union, and various other countries giving billions to humanitarian aid $37 billion is a drop in the bucket. He ammased that much money in a lifetime but the developed world makes that much in a day.

Seriously, I applaud the guy for his generousity but its ALOT of money for him to give with very little effect.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 23:19:35

At 6/26/06 09:46 PM, FightingForFreedom wrote: I think Buffet is a great guy for doing this but I don't think that $37 billion is really alot of money, in comparison to what governments give to these kind of charities.

Correction: He did a nice thing. But it's not a lot in comparison to what the US SHOULD AND COULD DO.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-26 23:58:09

Right.

What I'm saying is this.

$37 billion dollars is alot more to Buffet than it is to the chairties.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 00:03:37

Most charities are just bankrolls for leftist groups. Maybe now with 37 billion dollars they won't pester taxpayers to fund terrorism and the indoctrination of our youth with their radical ideals.

"They" being liberals.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 01:18:11

At 6/27/06 12:03 AM, Jayemare wrote: Most charities are just bankrolls for leftist groups. Maybe now with 37 billion dollars they won't pester taxpayers to fund terrorism and the indoctrination of our youth with their radical ideals.

"They" being liberals.

JHMX has you pegged. You are an idiot. Take a good look in the mirror to see the definiation of partisan asshole.

The Internet is like a screwdriver. You can use it to take an engine apart and understand it, or you can see how far you can stick it in your ear until you hit resistance.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 03:15:29

At 6/26/06 11:19 PM, GSgt_Liberal wrote: Correction: He did a nice thing. But it's not a lot in comparison to what the US SHOULD AND COULD DO.

The government is not an international charity, numbnuts.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 09:08:21

At 6/26/06 11:19 PM, GSgt_Liberal wrote:
At 6/26/06 09:46 PM, FightingForFreedom wrote: I think Buffet is a great guy for doing this but I don't think that $37 billion is really alot of money, in comparison to what governments give to these kind of charities.
Correction: He did a nice thing. But it's not a lot in comparison to what the US SHOULD AND COULD DO.

Why not let the private charities do their own thing? The government isn't a charity organization and shouldn't be throwing taxpayer's money allowed.

If people wanted to donate to charity, they don't need the government to do it for them.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 10:49:26

At 6/27/06 01:14 AM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: You really are that fucking stupid, eh?

I'll correct what I said: change "charities" to "foundations." Ford, Johnson, Packard, Mott, Rockefeller, Kellog, Heinz, Gates, Soros--they control billions and billions of dollars and alot of it goes to leftist causes. Look it up, Ford Foundation was about to be called before congress because it was suspected that they were helping fund TERRORISM. You set aside billions of dollars to be dolled out to "charities" and then put someone like Susan Berresford in charge and a lot of it will be either be wasted or go to people without noble goals, instead of legitimate charities that really do help people.

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 10:55:54

You need alot of balls to hand over $37 Billion. But the Gates charity is a good one, though hes a rich fucker taking in most of our penies, hes doing good stuff with it. Congrats to them.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Buffet Donates $37 Billion 2006-06-27 12:41:45

Why are a couple of you people have that "well, it's not going to do any good" attitude? Here, a rich person who just donated billions of dollars and it's still the same ol' "it's not enough...the rich man should donate all his money".