00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wicca

1,689 Views | 44 Replies

Response to Wicca 2003-02-05 22:56:01

At 2/4/03 11:56 PM, Radam wrote:

I think while it may be a legitimate and serious faith to some, it's predominantly one of the newer ways for young "goth" kids to mildly peeve their Catholic parents, or at least convince themselves they're doing so. :

Perhaps you can blame crappy shows like "Charmed" along with movies like "Blair Witch", and "Practical Magic."

Response to Wicca 2003-02-06 02:44:11

For those who care:

Wicca is an earth-based religion that is centered around the respect of all things living.

Goddess is Great Mother Goddess. That is her name to me; usually I just call her Goddess. To others she might be Aphrodite or Kuan-Yin. She is in everything, in every person or plant or rock. You can speak to her and pray to her.

She takes many forms. She is the moon, and is often thought of as the Triple Goddess as manifested in the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. Her symbol is a full moon flanked by crescent moons. According to Wicca, there is both a Goddess and a God. (However, I only believe in a Goddess.)
The God is the Sun. He is the hunter and Green Man; the father.

Goddess and God-

Traditionally, the Goddess and God are lovers. They are equals. Almost anything can be categorized as either in the Kingdom of the Sun or the Kingdom of the Moon. They are in everything, according to tradition. Devil Wiccans in no way worship the devil. In fact, Wicca as a religion does not even believe in a devil. Although pictures of God or Goddess may have horns, this was normal in ancient times and was not a sign of evil. It was common practice for conquering religions (in this case Christianity) to demonize the gods they replaced.

Pentacle/Pentagram-

The point-up pentacle () is not the sign of the devil. The five-pointed star is called a pentagram, when inside a circle it is called a pentacle. The circular board that has symbols (such as pentagrams and triangles) carved into it is also called a pentacle. It is used by Wiccans as one of their magical tools. Hope that clears up all the confusion!

Laws/Rules-

There are not many rules in Wicca, but one that most Wiccans follow is the Wiccan Rede (also known as the Wiccan Law, Wiccan Rule, etc.): An it harm none do what thou wilt -- meaning, do what you want, but don't harm anyone. Another law some Wiccans folow is the Threefold Law or Law of Three. It is that what you do, good or bad, will come back to you three times as strong. Others believe in Karma, which is similar to the Threefold Law, except that what you give comes back equally as strong. Personally, I think this makes sense; what you give is what you get.

However, each person must decide for her or himself. Threefold Law, Karma, neither, or something different altogether?

These are the true Wiccan beliefs. Now, if you want to accuse them of worshipping Satan, many of them claim to be Wiccans, but are, as Alakazam so eloquently put it- "Pissed off goth kids who want to piss off their parents," or something to that effect.

Real Wiccans are ok people. Pseudo-Wiccans are stupid. People who chastise other people for their religion are stupid too.

Word.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-08 08:56:59

At 2/2/03 11:23 PM, Alakazam wrote: Except when Christians are involved. Then Wiccans turn into the damned demonic hordes from hell.

I know a woman who was wiccan and grew up like a christian and her whole family is.
They get along very good.
So not ALL wiccans turn into the damned demonic hordes from hell!!!
I actually think none of them will!

Response to Wicca 2003-02-09 06:43:31

At 2/1/03 08:22 PM, PuritanicalInterface wrote: wicca was made in the 50's. it isn't satanic, it's the study of earth air water fire and spirit, you dont need to use spells in wicca. it seems to be a stereotype that you have to use spells in all pagan religions. that isn't true.

Wicca is ages old!
The word witch kame from it! (Pronaunce Wicca as witcha.)
Know what you're talking about if you say something!

Response to Wicca 2003-02-10 10:22:50

Wicca is not an ancient religion, but is based on ancient rituals from ancient religions. It was "invented" by Gerald Gardner in the 1950s.
http://www.geraldgardner.com/

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Wicca 2003-02-10 12:31:42

At 2/10/03 10:22 AM, Freakapotimus wrote: Wicca is not an ancient religion, but is based on ancient rituals from ancient religions. It was "invented" by Gerald Gardner in the 1950s.
http://www.geraldgardner.com/ :

If even that. They are "ancient" reconstructed, and reinvented rituals all based on a romanced idealism of witchcraft. No person in the pre-Christian Europe drew a circle and had an alter with sea salt, a black candle, and Eye of Newtâ„¢.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-10 19:41:54

The basic idealogy of Wicca is based around the spirit of many ancient cultures' connection to the Earth. Most of the actual practices and rituals are completely modern. A great deal of it is based on Western Ceremonial Magick, which is more a product of Judeo-Christian mysticism dating back to the fifteenth century in Europe. Very little of it is actually "ancient".

Response to Wicca 2003-02-10 20:17:36

Why do you need to stereotype a good decent belief system as "whiny" There is a decent wicca for every bad wicca, I can say the same about catholics, muslims, protestants, you name it (except for buhdists, theyre really cool) So If you think wicca is bad, FUCK OFF, my girlfriend used to be one! ( she dumped me! but damnit if that makes me hate her)

Wicca

Response to Wicca 2003-02-10 20:30:52

Most Wiccans I have known are wonderful, intelligent people. Although you do encounter the occasional whiney teenage stereotype, they are the exception and not the rule.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-11 13:43:11

At 2/10/03 08:17 PM, JuggaloKilla wrote: Why do you need to stereotype a good decent belief system as "whiny" :

Because the vast majority if not all Wiccans that have graced my presence are whiny teenagers.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-12 03:06:17

Nobody today who claims to be wiccan truly believes in it. Its main so-called followers nowadays are just a bunch of fat, 13 year old girls in "i'm different" shirts who try SO DAMN HARD to be different than everyone else and yet all end up being exactly the same. If anyone tells you that they are a serious wiccan, then they are either thousands of years old or are just full of shit and want attention (goths).

Response to Wicca 2003-02-12 03:08:53

And to you non-wiccan goths, you guys cant dismiss christianity and claim to worship satan AT THE SAME TIME.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-12 06:30:57

At 2/12/03 03:06 AM, thedirtiestjamocan wrote: Nobody today who claims to be wiccan truly believes in it. Its main so-called followers nowadays are just a bunch of fat, 13 year old girls in "i'm different" shirts who try SO DAMN HARD to be different than everyone else and yet all end up being exactly the same. If anyone tells you that they are a serious wiccan, then they are either thousands of years old or are just full of shit and want attention (goths).

I know a few wiccans, and they really beleive in the wiccan religion. They go to conventions and are very devoted.
None of them is a 13 year old goth and none of them is wiccan because he or she wants to be different.
They may be people who are wiccan to be diferent, but they're not ALL like that!

Response to Wicca 2003-02-12 20:04:54

At 2/12/03 03:06 AM, thedirtiestjamocan wrote: Nobody today who claims to be wiccan truly believes in it. Its main so-called followers nowadays are just a bunch of fat, 13 year old girls in "i'm different" shirts who try SO DAMN HARD to be different than everyone else and yet all end up being exactly the same. If anyone tells you that they are a serious wiccan, then they are either thousands of years old or are just full of shit and want attention (goths).

You are stereotyping yet again. It is quite unfair to say "nobody" who is Wiccan today believes in it. You are condeming an entire religion on the basis of a few wannabe, misguided teenagers. There are thousands of Wiccans who are truely devoted to their faith.

Response to Wicca 2003-02-12 21:28:21

From what I know about Wicca it is a rather good religion and as I always say, I'm not going to disaprove of people's choices on theological matters. However my problem is people who just "think" they are Wicca, I'm talking about the 13-16 year old girl's in my school who dress gothic and try to practice spells. Now throughout all of this which consider rather silly I manage to keep my mouth shut and show respect to them. Then they have the nerve to insult MY religion even saying such ignorant things as "Jesus probably didn't even exist." and "Christianity is just a joke." Now that just fucking pisses me off >:(

errrr.... anyway to sum up this rant-
Wicca = fine by me
13-16 year olf wannabe-Wiccas = MORONS!