00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tsuki124 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse!

19,259 Views | 406 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 18:13:42

one thing i found pretty annoying was the jumping, it would look much better if there was a shadow under you so it actually looked like you are jumping and not moving up the ground taht got a bit confusing -

the platform engine: if you are doing it this way anyway (using a while/for loop to take the player up/down the ground) to fix the walk into the pole and you appear on top you can use a for loop to limit the steepness of ground you can walk up ie if you dont reach the top before the loop ends then you dont move

headshots would be nice tho they would be far too plenty with the aiming system, maybe just more health loss but not instant

knife should really lose health otherwise its a bit pointless it even being in the game

overall very nice and fun game ^^

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 18:39:52

sent

BBS Signature

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 19:11:34

At 8/4/05 06:13 PM, dELta_Luca wrote: headshots would be nice tho they would be far too plenty with the aiming system, maybe just more health loss but not instant

as far as I know there ARE headshots, they are just hard to get.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 19:23:17

Yeah, headshots do 1.5 more damage, unless they have armor, then it does a little less, but still more thabn a normal shot. I'll pump up the damage ratios though so you kill faster :D

wtfbbqhax

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 19:38:22

Hey cool, it's another Hollow Point topic. Good thing i found out about this, I'm never told about them, courtesy of Inglor -.-.

I thank those who put me in check saying the maps could be better looking. I admit I didn't put my best into it. But now that I realise how many people will play this game, I think it deserves a bit more effort. So far I've got 3 maps, I think 2 more would come in handy. I just need ideas, which I'm open to hear.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 19:43:31

At 8/4/05 07:38 PM, ShadowInsignia wrote: So far I've got 3 maps, I think 2 more would come in handy. I just need ideas, which I'm open to hear.

I'll say that I thought the streets map was really well designed, and only needs touching up a little (small details, textures) for the final version + make that hanging girder an actual platform.

Frankly though i thought very little of the sewers map (sorry), and would suggest that be drasticly redone. - It looked decent but the layout got boring really quickly.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 19:54:22

A new password is out,

I think releasing old passwords is fun, so here are the first two

fwe4lifeandinsigniarockatgamemaking

and

sexwithchickenistoastsdish

come and get the new pass, all you have to do is email a reply to my reply with the old one.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:08:22

Sexiest passwords ever

wtfbbqhax

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:15:30

I think that "shift" should be duck.

Because your pinky finger is already rested on shift. And it's annoying because it's hard to jump and duck at the same time.

Your choice if you want to change it or not, just a suggestion.

#include <stdio.h>

char*p="#include <stdio.h>%cchar*p=%c%s%c;%cmain() {printf(p,10,34,p,34,10);}";

main() {printf(p,10,34,p,34,10);}

BBS Signature

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:17:43

There's a science behind mapping the keys the way we did. I figure, a lot of people play Half-life games, and the keys for duck messaging and movement is ctrl y and WASD. You may think shift is more logical because you play games with shift as duck, I'm guessing.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:33:28

Okay, first of all, I'd like to thank Inglor for including me in this beta, agianst all common sense. :)

BUG REPORT:
-I first logged in as Player, because I didn't realize you could set your name. Later, I think someone else tried to log in without setting their name too, because it said "Player has joined tyhe server." And then suddenly, I walked onto one screen and froze, and there was a second avatar that looked just like mine, stuck in mid-air. I got stuck in the ground. I couldn't move, but I could aim and shoot normally. Whenever I would shoot, the other player avatar did its shoot animation, but it was always looking and facing to the right. I sent some text saying there was a major bug, but I don't know if they could hear me or not. Someone said that my player was flickering on and off. Inglor reset the server at this point.

I'm not sure what happened there, but I think someone else logged in as "player" and the server may have been keeping track of us seperately, but it confused the client once we both got on the same screen together. Double-check your code and see if allowances are made for 2 players with the same name. Ideally, the game should keep track of each player with a unique identifier, based on the order in which they joined the server or something, and just use the typed-in name as yet another variable associated with that unique identifier. If the game tracks IPs, maybe you could even use the IP# to refer to them, as long as we're sure that no two people using the internet ever have the same IP#. (I'm not sure if that's the way IP#'s work or not, somebody else comment on this if you know of a good way to keep players seperate in an online game!)

I'm going to keep playing as "Player" and see if the bug happens again. With all the noobs starting to beta test it, it should only be a matter of time before someone else logs joins as "Player" and we'll see if the two of us can coexist or not.

It might have nothing to do with my name being "Player." It could be anything. This post is just a guess.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:36:49

Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

NON-BUG-RELATED GAMPLAY SUGGESTIONS:
-Gameplay seemed kinda random, with lots of spawn-killing. I recommend spawning Light Side on the left edge of the map and Dark Side on the right edge.
-Jumping seemed kinda slow and not much good for anything. Maybe if it were faster or something.
-Use the arrow keys instead of the ASWD keys. Or if some people prefer the ASWD keys, maybe let the players choose their control schemes?
-Branching paths through a map, so nobody's ever "stuck in the corner," and you're less sure of where the opponent who just killed you is.
-The whole "one screen at a time" approach seems... kinda awkward and dumb. I suggest making it a scrolling game, but that would require totally changing everything, so you probabaly don't want to hear that. :P
-I bought more than one weapon, but I don't know how to equip them. If possible, I'd like to see my currently held weapons up at the top of my screen with my health, and then I could just click on them to switch weapons or equip kevlar or whatever. If you can't switch weapons or whatever, then it should be made impossible to waste money on them.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:37:46

This isn't surprising, that bug has been there since day 1. Fwe installed a system that changes your name to the similar name but followed by [1] ,[2] and so on (Once again CS methods for your comfort). But yes, sometimes that system fails, so I wouldn't worry about it the next time that occurs. But kindly change your name to something other than player, as tedious a task that may be. I'll tell fwe to work on that alternative name making though. Thanks for the report.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:41:57

BUG REPORT:
A guy was playing as an arab sterotype, and when he died, his turban mysteriously turned into a blue policeman's hat. His chest and pants stayed the same, and when he respawned his hat was back to normal.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:42:43

At 8/4/05 08:36 PM, WarpZone wrote: Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

NON-BUG-RELATED GAMPLAY SUGGESTIONS:
-Gameplay seemed kinda random, with lots of spawn-killing. I recommend spawning Light Side on the left edge of the map and Dark Side on the right edge.
-Jumping seemed kinda slow and not much good for anything. Maybe if it were faster or something.
-Use the arrow keys instead of the ASWD keys. Or if some people prefer the ASWD keys, maybe let the players choose their control schemes?
-Branching paths through a map, so nobody's ever "stuck in the corner," and you're less sure of where the opponent who just killed you is.
-The whole "one screen at a time" approach seems... kinda awkward and dumb. I suggest making it a scrolling game, but that would require totally changing everything, so you probabaly don't want to hear that. :P
-I bought more than one weapon, but I don't know how to equip them. If possible, I'd like to see my currently held weapons up at the top of my screen with my health, and then I could just click on them to switch weapons or equip kevlar or whatever. If you can't switch weapons or whatever, then it should be made impossible to waste money on them.

and I almost forgot too:

The game is still in beta and we intended to have spawning from the left and right from the beginning.

If you can't find a use for jumping you must be wondering why you accept every bullet that comes at your body.

Well, as you may have noticed escaping from enemies with another map slide comes in handy. It's bad enough the game is only on x movement. Scrolling could be suggested in a more advanced version of hollow point. But for now, the idea of multiplayer with no scrolling is mind boggling enough.

You need a mouse wheel to change your weapons. And again, I'm aware that this has a flaw (not everyone has a mouse wheel (losers)), and fwe will assign keys to weapon changing.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:44:50

At 8/4/05 08:41 PM, WarpZone wrote: BUG REPORT:
A guy was playing as an arab sterotype, and when he died, his turban mysteriously turned into a blue policeman's hat. His chest and pants stayed the same, and when he respawned his hat was back to normal.

Yah thanks buddy, i know you're doing your job as a beta tester but stuff like that is pretty obvious. It will be fixed.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:45:34

At 8/4/05 08:42 PM, ShadowInsignia wrote: Well, as you may have noticed escaping from enemies with another map slide comes in handy. It's bad enough the game is only on x movement. Scrolling could be suggested in a more advanced version of hollow point. But for now, the idea of multiplayer with no scrolling is mind boggling enough.

boggling? even single player scrolling is very laggish... I don't think this is arelevant option, then again, you and fwe amazed me before :)

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:46:58

At 8/4/05 08:45 PM, Inglor wrote: boggling? even single player scrolling is very laggish... I don't think this is arelevant option, then again, you and fwe amazed me before :)

You havn't even seen my penis yet

wtfbbqhax

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:50:20

Single player scrolling isn't laggy if you know what you're doing, the graphics lagging isn't a problem. I dunno how TomFulp and Dan Paladin's "Dad n Me" pulled it off. But the easiest way is to make the background jpegs, instead of free laggy vector graphics. So like i said the graphics isn't the problem, but keeping a player's location is a whole n'other thought. Cut fwe a little slack though, real time multiplayer took some creativity. But you can bet that our games will only get better and better, so most likely, our next game will be scrolling or the scales will be good enough to fit huge maps with small players.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 20:55:14

At 8/4/05 08:46 PM, fwe wrote:
You havn't even seen my penis yet

o o
O

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 21:30:16

I really like it,very fun,I can't really find anything about it I don't like....its a great game that plays smooth,lets you play with other people,and has a wide selection of guns and clothing.

you guys are great ^_^

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 21:34:01

damn, i keep forgettin the new password. inglor would u email it me please so i got it safe, or someone just tell me quick and ill jot it down.

once i got it anyone want a game now?

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 21:51:11

At 8/4/05 05:05 PM, fwe wrote: Heh, thanks. I guess i'm just an unknown loser :(

No thats not true. You were infamous now your a well-known loser ; )

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 21:56:56

hmmmm...

Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse!

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:01:43

That's awesome. But Tom Green is funnier

wtfbbqhax

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:05:27

At 8/4/05 10:01 PM, fwe wrote: That's awesome. But Tom Green is funnier

By the way, did you draw on those sunglasses on Tom? xD

wtfbbqhax

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:12:13

hahaha :P

I just fragged newbies at 34:8 :P that was so much fun.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:33:06

I have a suggestions. to make this great game even better

a friends list.
maybe an exp system? so we can unlock new weps?(that aren't super powerful but kool to use)
a clan system.
those are soem I think would make it even better.

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:35:38

At 8/4/05 10:33 PM, -Taylor88- wrote: I have a suggestions. to make this great game even better

a friends list.
maybe an exp system? so we can unlock new weps?(that aren't super powerful but kool to use)
a clan system.
those are soem I think would make it even better.

dont forget these:

stats to see who has the most kills
a health bar or some sort of hp system
different cursor, not just a mouse, a gun style cursor
fix the bugs XD

Response to Hollow Point Beta! Get A Glimpse! 2005-08-04 22:38:10

good ones ^_^