00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

--> No More Sig Threads <--

34,870 Views | 192 Replies

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 12:41:36

At 7/3/05 12:34 PM, BonusStage wrote: THEN why don't you remove it from your sig fool ;)

ZOMFGOMFGZ THATS THE BEST IDEA EVER!11

But Shrike already locked it (THANK YOU TheShrike, FINALLY I CAN REST FROM THESE SIGS!!!!!!!!), so now it's just a tribute :o

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 12:45:28

At 7/3/05 12:27 PM, Seizure_Dog wrote: If you're talking about Flash collab threads you can't possiblely be serious...

I understand what you're saying, but you probably haven't been here...

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 12:45:59

We should have a Graphics Forum to spam up with sig threads.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 12:46:37

At 7/3/05 12:44 PM, BonusStage wrote: el
oh
el

Yes, it is a tribute to the greatest sig thread in the WOOORLD

Look into my eyes and what you see?
Sig make a n00b and a n00b makes a tea >:(

At 7/3/05 12:45 PM, carmelhadinosaur wrote: I understand what you're saying, but you probably haven't been here...

*cough* page 5 not 6.......

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 12:48:57

At 7/3/05 12:45 PM, carmelhadinosaur wrote:
At 7/3/05 12:27 PM, Seizure_Dog wrote: If you're talking about Flash collab threads you can't possiblely be serious...
I understand what you're saying, but you probably haven't been here...

It's just a bad new phase. But you can't seriously just end all collab threads. There are good things that come out of them.

Plus, it's not as if the Flash forum is that interesting without collabs. Just a bunch of repeat question threads.

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:02:06

At 7/3/05 12:48 PM, Seizure_Dog wrote: Plus, it's not as if the Flash forum is that interesting without collabs. Just a bunch of repeat question threads.

....which is what the Flash forum is there for. Some collabs (like those run by Luis) are fine, but too many users with no Flash on the Portal are starting collabs because they think it's a quick and easy way to get known. It's getting to the stage recently where more than 50% of the first page in Flash is collab threads, which means that when someone comes in with an actionscript question, it often gets knocked down to Page 2 before anybody even reads it.

Last night

I don't agree with deleting/locking ALL collab threads, but I'd like to have an effective way of preventing them from dominating the Flash forum.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=287612

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:20:42

At 7/3/05 01:02 PM, Denvish wrote: ....which is what the Flash forum is there for. Some collabs (like those run by Luis) are fine, but too many users with no Flash on the Portal are starting collabs because they think it's a quick and easy way to get known. It's getting to the stage recently where more than 50% of the first page in Flash is collab threads,

It is a little out of hand how many there are, but it's nice to see collabs getting more popular at least.

which means that when someone comes in with an actionscript question, it often gets knocked down to Page 2 before anybody even reads it.

Actionscript questions are generally the only types of questions that should get their own thread. But most of the questions you find are along the lines of"how do I make a button?" or "how do I add music?"

I don't agree with deleting/locking ALL collab threads, but I'd like to have an effective way of preventing them from dominating the Flash forum.

Alright, just limit collab making abilities to those that have shown they are capable. That's fair enough.

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:29:30

At 7/3/05 12:48 PM, Seizure_Dog wrote: It's just a bad new phase. But you can't seriously just end all collab threads. There are good things that come out of them.

Oh no! I completely don't want that!
I, like probably almost everybody, want to find a way to prevent pointless collabs and keep the good ones. I LOVE collabs!
Tommorow i'll finish my unblieveably annoying flash that I wanted to eat it so i'm gonna then think of a good collab... Yeah, and if I can make 8 minutes THE SAME as an episode froma TV show in flash, a collab is a piece of cake. But unlike many others, it will be more orginized!

hopefully :o
Plus, it's not as if the Flash forum is that interesting without collabs. Just a bunch of repeat question threads.

Hehe I hoped it was a fad before I made the list but you can see the dates so I thought whoops nvm... :P

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:30:34

At 7/3/05 11:58 AM, Earfetish wrote: But still.

True. And back then, just how many sig threads were there in General? Not a whole lot. I was also a bandwagon whore back then. It was even in my sig for awhile.

I realise template sigs will be popular, and I don't begrudge anyone building up their collection. But when they start to overrun the General forum, it's time to nudge all the budding artists in the right direction, which is the C+C forum, and the threads devoted to making people sigs.

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:33:21

At 7/3/05 02:20 AM, carmelhadinosaur wrote: But anyway, I have the longest running and longest in each case (yes more than QuikFox's :P) themed sig thread, NG levels, so.... mazal tov? something? :P

Wrong, you were beat years ago by War Machine, Z, Chromius and Me in the anybody want a sig topic. And then we went on to create the Sinister Sig Makers Crew or SSM. We had started trends to remeber when everyone had fighting game charactersgifs in there sigs started in the SSM.

Yeah, but this has been along time coming now if only would put an end to those "PhotoShop *insert picture here*" topics the BBS would be 30 extra percent spam free.

"The worst kind of coward is one that is only brave enough to show his face in the dark...."

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:36:05

At 7/3/05 01:33 PM, Zen_Gaijin wrote: Wrong

He's talking about in the General Forum, not overall. That IS what the topic is about; sig threads in General. ;)

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:36:52

At 7/3/05 01:30 PM, Maus wrote:
At 7/3/05 11:58 AM, Earfetish wrote: But still.
True. And back then, just how many sig threads were there in General? Not a whole lot. I was also a bandwagon whore back then. It was even in my sig for awhile.

I realise template sigs will be popular, and I don't begrudge anyone building up their collection. But when they start to overrun the General forum, it's time to nudge all the budding artists in the right direction, which is the C+C forum, and the threads devoted to making people sigs.

Naw, those get tired after a while because you get the smae people asking for sigs everyday. Its like I just made you a sig stop asking for another one then on top of that the people that ask for sigs think they can just hang out in the thread and just post about nothing. You MOD's should really check that out thats the reason I retired from NG's sig making and leaft the ASM. Yeah Chromius said it best sigs stopped being fun when people were making parody threads of the SSM instead of trying to join the SSM.

"The worst kind of coward is one that is only brave enough to show his face in the dark...."

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:39:17

At 7/3/05 01:36 PM, Maus wrote:
At 7/3/05 01:33 PM, Zen_Gaijin wrote: Wrong
He's talking about in the General Forum, not overall. That IS what the topic is about; sig threads in General. ;)

Anybody want a sig was in general Maus. Remeber we as sig makers were here before the Clubs and Crews board was even created. Yeah look at my signup date predates the C&C. Yup back in my Darkblueflame days.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:46:16

At 7/3/05 01:36 PM, Zen_Gaijin wrote: Naw, those get tired after a while because you get the smae people asking for sigs everyday. Its like I just made you a sig stop asking for another one then on top of that the people that ask for sigs think they can just hang out in the thread and just post about nothing.

Whatever happened to you control freaks in C+C making that sig whore list? I distinctly remember talk of that.

Whenever the mods DO step in unasked, all we get in return is a bunch of resentment and backtalk. Very rarely do I get an email from ANYONE in C+C (there are exactly TWO that let me know when someone is causing trouble in their thread.)

This next bit is directed at C+C in general:

We aren't here to police every single thread that goes on in that forum. In C+C, you all have 'leaders' and 'presidents' and whatnot. Take some responsibility on your own shoulders to keep your threads cleaned up. Most of you have no actual power to DO anything about spammers and sig whores. Let us know about it. You guys know which mods frequent C+C. Even if you have to wait a couple of hours for a spammer to be taken care of, isn't that better than never?

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:47:06

At 7/3/05 01:39 PM, Zen_Gaijin wrote: Anybody want a sig was in general Maus.

Ah, mah bad. ;)

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 13:51:32

At 7/3/05 01:20 PM, Seizure_Dog wrote:
Alright, just limit collab making abilities to those that have shown they are capable. That's fair enough.

That's the problem that keeps coming up. It's too subjective. We don't have time to check everyone's flash history

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 14:19:47

At 7/3/05 01:46 PM, Maus wrote: Whatever happened to you control freaks in C+C making that sig whore list? I distinctly remember talk of that.

I doesn't really help because someone makes another sig topic and that sig whore goes there and says SSM sucks make me a sig. The person sees that as a chance to 1up us and they get another sig. Nothing learned at all.

Whenever the mods DO step in unasked, all we get in return is a bunch of resentment and backtalk. Very rarely do I get an email from ANYONE in C+C (there are exactly TWO that let me know when someone is causing trouble in their thread.)

Well I can only speak for myself but I would have loved if a MOD would have stepped in and did something and I don't think the creators of the SSM (me being apart of them) would have said anything. At one point we wanted Shrike to join the SSM partially because hes awesome and more so because he was a MOD and would scare of sig whores and spammers.

This next bit is directed at C+C in general:

We aren't here to police every single thread that goes on in that forum. In C+C, you all have 'leaders' and 'presidents' and whatnot. Take some responsibility on your own shoulders to keep your threads cleaned up. Most of you have no actual power to DO anything about spammers and sig whores. Let us know about it. You guys know which mods frequent C+C. Even if you have to wait a couple of hours for a spammer to be taken care of, isn't that better than never?

The C&C is like a spamming void and I have to give mad respect to ramagi for doing here part there to keep it clean. But yeah everybody has to do there part to keep the C&C clean. I'm in the Rap Crew and we mostly stay spam free because one we have a good leader and two because we message MOD's regulary when we get spam.

And Maus don't worry your one of my favs <3. Well thats it for my posting in here for another 10 mintues.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 14:29:44

At 7/3/05 01:33 PM, Zen_Gaijin wrote: Wrong, you were beat years ago by War Machine, Z, Chromius and Me in the anybody want a sig topic. And then we went on to create the Sinister Sig Makers Crew or SSM. We had started trends to remeber when everyone had fighting game charactersgifs in there sigs started in the SSM.

Oh damn... I never win :P
Well than mine was the single person's biggest themed sig pic in NG ever :D
Hope you 4 had good run.. :)

Yeah, but this has been along time coming now if only would put an end to those "PhotoShop *insert picture here*" topics the BBS would be 30 extra percent spam free.

Yup, agrees.

At 7/3/05 02:13 PM, BonusStage wrote: ONE HOT ASS ISRAELI

I'm not... sure about that :o (i'm not really an israeli I was just born here and lived here all my life)

With a double dose of es tea ef you?

Uhh more like... double cup of shut the.. n00b... up ?

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 14:56:17

I've just got my temporary mod email public in my profile, most of you know I frequent C & C as well. So if you see a problem, feel free to report it to me. But Maus is right, you have to police your own stuff, and if you're a regular of C & C, then you have a responsibility to get a hold of someone with power to either help you police, or take care of crappy threads. I'm just as unhappy with the way C & C becomes spammy as much as the rest of you, that's why I'm trying to be like ramagi and police it a little bit more when I'm here.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 14:56:47

At 7/3/05 11:09 AM, Maus wrote: What?

Did you mean popular?

You can olso say popular, I meant the sig which are not one of a kind, the common sigs, like carmelhadinosaur's Lvl. sigs, cybex's the simsons sigs etc.
It will be completly destroyed.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 14:57:20

At 7/3/05 02:31 PM, Dobio wrote: I'm not revolting you putz, I'm indifferent.

That's our Dobio!

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 16:11:02

Finnaly a stop to those damn sig threads! Ther getting annoying.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-03 16:44:23

I think that the sig threads in the general forum offer the best sigs there are, if they weren't, do you think so many people would get a sig that everyone has?

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 01:31:03

At 7/3/05 02:56 PM, Lidov wrote: You can olso say popular, I meant the sig which are not one of a kind, the common sigs, like carmelhadinosaur's Lvl. sigs, cybex's the simsons sigs etc.
It will be completly destroyed.

Thaat's what I thought. As a side note, you need to get an up-to-date transalting dictionary. We haven't used 'vulgar' like that since the 1800's. :)

Thanks, avie, for backing me up. I remember I banned a couple of people for 'flaming' in a thread, and it turned out they were just joking, when I was first modded. If we aren't part of a crew, we don't know the dynamic of the group that inhabits a crew. Contrary to popular belief, we mods do not read every single thread, nor do we now of all the petty tiffs and dramas y'all got going on. You can't expect the entire mod crew to mod your section. ramagi does the most there. I only help a bit. She's fair, yet unyielding, and I give her props for that. However, I'm sure she'd like more help. And that's where the 'leaders' and 'presidents' step in. RUN YOUR CREW CORRECTLY. As I said, you guys know which of us read C+C regularly......

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 01:32:49

HOLY TYPOS BATMAN. Forgive any mistakes above. I HAVE BEEN PARTAKING OF THE WINE.

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 01:37:45

I suppose next is the "rating" threads, and then the "anti-" threads.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 01:51:37

At 7/4/05 01:37 AM, -Buddhist- wrote: I suppose next is the "rating" threads, and then the "anti-" threads.

No. There are too many quality ratings threads out there today. Just recently we had three ratings threads where they were interactive and the people actually actively respond to the thread at hand.

Plus Zerok's thread is sexy in it's most extreme form. (Tons of good conversation going on in there, legitimate requests abound, obscene rating usually lasting two pages). Oh, and finally there aren't rating threads in other forums that offer the same service. yet, anyway.

Only thing I can think of that sucks is that SadicSchoolGirl never responded to her review.

Oh, and Zerok: chances are 0. :-(

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 04:39:05

Woah, 5 pages. Time to squeeze my otherwise now useless thoughts on this. While I understand your reasoning for getting rid of sig topics, I think this is a great example of a few apples spoiling the bunch. When you say that 99.5% of sig topics were terrible, I think you're basing that off of your entire opinion. Of course if you don't make a request, then you usually don't think the sigs are any good, but that's not the same opinion of the people who do make requests. Second, the option of making sigs in the ASM, SMG, or BSM is not going to make anything easier. I've surfed through those topics for a bit while I was banned this weekend, and it was otherwise ard to find requests and make sure 3 or 4 other people were already working on them. I think you'll see a lot of people getting undercutted when it comes to that. Also, the clubs leave the option of themed sigs out. Of course, I was preparing to make a series of Family Guy sigs with like 30 characters, but I guess i'll just delete all the templates/characters now. So while I see that you're attempting to lessen the burden of sig topic floods in general, I honestly think this is only a decision to convience your work so that you don't have to lok over more topics. As for the person who sid they wanted to also get rid of Photoshop topics, what you really need to get rid of is MS Paint, which is queering up most topics/contests. But of course I've petitioned numerous times for an image forum, but whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 05:10:10

At 7/4/05 05:08 AM, Flak- wrote: Finally, no more sig topics.

Gimmie my god-damn sig back then.
</3

BBS Signature

Response to --> No More Sig Threads <-- 2005-07-04 06:49:27

( Y .)

u like meh ass huh?