00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bam76pixon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Software: Software Synths

29,825 Views | 81 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-01-27 18:42:40

That stuff is in studios and editors

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-01-27 18:50:57

no, actually, i never even heard of that, but i'll get to downloading that right away

Conspiracy :O | Best story thread ever!

"I guess my kick made his penis explode since blood started gushing down his leg." - Stoptalking

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-01-27 18:57:47

At 1/27/07 06:50 PM, gekko007 wrote: no, actually, i never even heard of that, but i'll get to downloading that right away

You should read the sticky first if you're planning on making some music :)

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-02-06 20:19:48

Im not a movie person. But im realy into music. Hopfully.......this might work.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-06-03 08:32:43

Garritan Personal Orchestra

GPO is a VST-based orchestra synth. It is incredibly realistic.
For examples, chech out WinterWind-NS's audio and mine.

http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-09-29 15:08:40

None of these work for me.

HELP! Get me out of this computer!

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-09-29 15:22:07

At 9/29/07 03:08 PM, HarddiskClock wrote: None of these work for me.

...so? Are we supposed to help you with it? If that's so, tell what system you're on, and what you did that didn't work.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-10-31 09:39:26

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-12-12 15:07:35

Im downloading superwave right now. Thanks for the links. Now I get to make crappy sounds lol @ me

rar

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-12-12 15:22:54

At 10/31/07 09:39 AM, Sp1r1T wrote: Nexus

Sucks. Romplers are gay.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2007-12-12 15:27:38

At 12/12/07 03:22 PM, navij11 wrote:
Sucks. Romplers are gay.

Again...stop being such a fucking elitist. It doesn't matter what you use, it's how it sounds at the end.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-06-12 14:25:25

whats a really good free techno making software?

i can voice act =3

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-06-12 14:30:10

never mind i got superwavep8... now how i install it?...

i can voice act =3

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-06-12 15:28:09

At 12/12/07 03:27 PM, Rig wrote: Again...stop being such a fucking elitist. It doesn't matter what you use, it's how it sounds at the end.

I was about to respond to this, then I realized when it was posted. No matter, i will respond anyways.

The truth is: Its not because of elitism. Its because of a genuine want for people to actually improve in the genre. I know you're a bit grumpy (or WERE 6 months ago) because you got it for free, but in all seriousness, Nexus could be one of the reasons why many Trance producers do not understand even the basics of synthesis. Of course it sounds good, and if you can recreate it in another VST, but don't want to due to the CPU load, then by all means: Use Nexus! Mike is a great programmer, and re:FX has some great sounding plugins (if only their customer support was as good).

Anyways, I don't care if you use Nexus. Just, as my global teacher says about nightly textbook readings, programming synths "is for your own edification." You can get by without it, but you're not developing the skills that you will ultimately need later. Not to say that you need to be what Endlessnumber was trying to do, and synthesize it all by yourself. Its not really too useful to be able to synthesize kickdrums, but its the effort and experience that counts, right? And so, that's why I dislike Nexus.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-08-09 03:44:15

Hey guys, I'm new to the music scene, and not interested so much in becoming a flash artist, but would love to help out flash authors with some audio skills. I'm currently running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 - may change depending on when Apple releases the newest update - and am looking for a software synthesizer that is *easily* compatible with my OS - meaning no emulators are needed, I don't need to dual boot WinXP, etc.

Hoping to read some replies to my inquiry,
photray94

EVE Online FTWZZZZ

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-08-09 04:00:32

At 12/12/07 03:22 PM, Nav wrote:
Sucks. Romplers are gay.

korg triton.......gay??? fantom xr......gay?????

i really hope not. oh well.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-08-09 04:49:21

At 8/9/08 04:00 AM, joshhunsaker wrote: korg triton.......gay??? fantom xr......gay?????

i really hope not. oh well.

I am personally not fond of romplers, but I also recognise that they have their place in music, which is why I'm currently attempting to bite the bullet and put a JV-1080 into my rack.

Admittedly, they're good for strings, piano, brass, drums...and well...anything that is acoustic by nature. And generic pop sounds.

But my heart belongs to synthesis. If I had a choice between a creaky old Jupiter 8, or any number of shiny, expensive rompler workstations, I'd smack my money down on the Jupiter. If I actually had to go out and get a rompler, I'd go for the JV-1080 (for practical reasons), but would much rather prefer a Korg M1 or 01/W. I dunno...I just have a boner for 80's workstations and synths.

I don't quite know where I'm going with this.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-08-09 11:24:18

At 8/9/08 04:49 AM, jarrydn wrote: But my heart belongs to synthesis. If I had a choice between a creaky old Jupiter 8, or any number of shiny, expensive rompler workstations, I'd smack my money down on the Jupiter. If I actually had to go out and get a rompler, I'd go for the JV-1080 (for practical reasons), but would much rather prefer a Korg M1 or 01/W. I dunno...I just have a boner for 80's workstations and synths.

I don't quite know where I'm going with this.

you've got every right in the world to hate romplers...

but you may change your mind after hearing demos like the one's on this page:
http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Symph obia/ (click at the top right after the short logo animation)

does something need to be synthesis for it to require extreme amounts of skill and ability to make expressive textures...? evidently not.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-08-09 23:33:47

At 8/9/08 11:24 AM, joshhunsaker wrote: you've got every right in the world to hate romplers...

but you may change your mind after hearing demos like the one's on this page:
http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Symph obia/ (click at the top right after the short logo animation)

does something need to be synthesis for it to require extreme amounts of skill and ability to make expressive textures...? evidently not.

I don't hate Romplers, stop putting words in my mouth! :P

Samples take incredible amounts of skill to work with. I love sitting in front of my dusty old W-30, recording shit into it, setting loop points, filtering...all that kind of stuff. And at least for now, samples are the only way that you can get realistic sounding acoustic instruments. I know there are a few synth based packages out there, like Synful, but samples are still the reigning champion.

Also, those orchestral samples sounded godly.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-09-15 22:01:08

ReFX Claw's link presents a 404 error

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2008-09-15 22:21:42

At 9/15/08 10:01 PM, unit720 wrote: ReFX Claw's link presents a 404 error

When you do a quick Google search, it's really easy to find reFX Claw.

Click download on this page. There's lots of other good software synths on KVRAudio.com as well.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-01-25 10:30:19

Yeah, so how do you convert .dll files?

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-01-25 10:46:43

synplant . a powerfull vsti with sounds that are awesome if you want to create something new. pretty easy to understand if you got it eventually. the sounds are sometimes very usefull if you need inspiration and will definetly be worth in the hands of somebody that makes goa/psytrance. its about $89,- but its totaly worth it

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-26 08:24:01

i would suggest ZynAddSubFX.
Its quite powerful FREE synthesizer.
And yes it looks awful but it can make very very many sounds (practically anything) you can imagine.
(It can be automated with LADSPA plugin effects despite it must be runned as VST)

Newgrounds is a decent place :D

Check my songs...

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-27 06:31:32

Sylenth1 hasn't been mentioned yet?! WTF Newgrounds, you disappoint me... seriously people don't know about this synth? It's awesome! I'll never need anything else.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-27 06:59:52

http://www.tweakbench.com/

mwuahaha! I can't beleive nobody posted that one yet. Kind of low quality stuff, but if you run it through some filters, or just shoot for a good 8bit sound they're awesome.

And this one: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/194.html (junoX2) is a great one to accompany superwaveP8, also kind of raw, but again, add a few effects and the two make a great pair.

For those of you wondering how to use these VSTi's you need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Cubase or Ableton Live or FL Studio...or garage band or whatever...the instruments are not designed to run independently, nor are they capable of recording. On the upside though, its usually pretty easy to theive some of the more popular DAW's, particularly FL Studio...no wonder everyone has it, heheh.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-27 08:41:20

When comes to keyboards, real or virtual, I'm not making such a big issue over the fact that are synths or samplers/ romplers.
For me, as a musician, a certain instrument have a certain place as a music constructing element.
I compose music, I don't compete in the "I tweaked this button too" contest. Those been said, here's my addition to this beautiful thread.

========================
Vintage Sound - Hammond Organs

As part of Jazz/ Blues and Rock culture, Hammond Organ (an electric organ which was invented by Laurens Hammond in 1934 and manufactured by the Hammond Organ Company) is a landmark in sound. Doesn't matters if you listen to Joey De Francesco or Deep Purple, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer or some more modern rock such as Dream Theater, the classic Hammond sound is there.
Classic Hammonds utilized oscillating vacuum tubes, manipulated sine waves through the use of harmonics, could actually save preset sounds, had modulation control, (the two Leslie speeds and the different tremolo, chorus, and vibrato settings), had attack and decay parameters, volume pedal control, and even had echo and sustain available on later models. Doesn't that sound a lot like the early synths we know?
More about Hammond Organs:
Wikipedia - Hammond Organs Page
www.tonewheelrecords.com
========================
Hammond Organs as VSTi
Native Instruments - B4 II - $229 / 199 EU
The B4 combines the classic and robust tonewheel organ and rotating speaker sound with the convenience of software. A tube amplifier and a selection of classic speaker cabinets offer you greater freedom of expression.
Coming as stand-alone and PlugIn via Audio Units, VST 2, RTAS.
DEMO HERE - Limitations are: 30 min per session, functions reset on reloading.

VB3 The Ultimate Virtual Tonewheel Organ - 49.00 EU
VB3 is a virtual tonewheel organ which simulates an american electromagnetic organ of the old days, but it's also capable of other simulations like the italian transistor organs of the seventies or the red-tolex organs played by famous pop bands of the sixties.
In DEMO mode you'll hear a white noise burst for 2 seconds every 10 at a very low volume.

ORGANized trio - FREE !!!
This is actually the free version of "VB3 The Ultimate Virtual Tonewheel Organ", made by the same company and offered as donationware. This come as part of Legacy donationware plugins from SoundFonts.it.
I personally use it, the capabilities are amazing. Beside a nag screen appearing every now and then, there are no limitations. For a donation to them, Wikimedia or Red Cross, you can get rid of that too.

Master Hammond B3 - US$35
Tried the demo, not really convincing to be "a Virtual Hammond VST plug-in with a rich and authentic sound based on the legendary B3." but is not bad either. Guess is what you pay for.
Coming as DX, Windows VSTi, Mac VST, AU, RTAS.

LightBag Organ VST 2 PC - FREE !!!
FREE Hammond organ clone plus(separate)Leslie effect. Made with "Synth Edit" by
Istvan Kaldor. Didn't tried yet but have good reviews.

Bojo - Organ One - FREE !!!
16 voice polyphonic,9 drawbars/2 oscillators in each voice, LFO with 8 different waveforms (incl. random). Coming as Windows VSTi.
Tried it, quite cute and sounds decent enough to use.

Rumplerausch made several great plugins, mostly donationware or free. I remember that like 5 or 8 years ago I tried several Hammond like plugins, quite impressive... Now up on his website are:
Rumplerausch - AZR3 - FREE !!!
Vintage drawbar organ emulator. Features three "keyboard" channels, a versatile distortion effect and a rotating speaker emulation.
Rumplerausch - CRAZY DIAMONDS - FREE !!!
Coming as Windows VSTi.
This stuff is free of charge, but you are kindly asked to donate for a globally acting NGO of your choice if you decide to use them.
I recommend Amnesty international, Medicins Sans Frontieres and Greenpeace.

GTG SYNTHS have tons of synths, mostly FREE, great stuff, some quite nice drum romplers too.
GTG MicroOrgan MK III - FREE !!!
Another free and quite good tonewheel-organ simulator. Coming as Windows VSTi.

NuBi LE - FREE !!!
As you can see, the links on KVR are dead :(
On the sounding practically corresponds Native Of instruments B4 and GSi Of oRGANized of trio, that also is not surprising, since it was developed as commercial product. However, in the fall of 2006 developer made his free and sent in the free floating.
Considering that the official site of NuBi3 ended its existence, entire packet is floating HERE.

Land of Cockaigne - Phibes - FREE !!!
"It is definitely no Hammond B3 or Vox Continental but rather some obscure and cheap east-european imitation of them."
As KVR says "No Longer Available" ... :( but you might still find it floating on Internet.

Organaut - FREE !!!
Classical tonewheel organ emulator. Can produce «analog» and «digital» sound.
9 drawbars
Rotary cabinet emulation
Keyboard «click» emulation
Internal reverb
Octave shift
To me, that is the most not convincing plugin, can be used but you might get better results tweaking a 3X Osc and put on effects a chorus and autopanner... oh, by the way

3X Osc - bundled with Fruity Loops
You can take any simple sine and with a chorus and autopanner you'll get a quite ok sound, suitable for harmony more than solo but good enough.

More to come later.
Happy music making !

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-27 12:18:34

========================
Chapter II

CetoneOrg - FREE !!!
There is no GUI, so it's using buttons design of your VST host.
89 tonewheels using original frequency dividers and 60Hz AC
Adjustable keyclick and (slight) tone control
Velocity controlled tonewheel "switch-on" delay
Chorus/Flanger
Reverb
Not really the best.

Odo Synth - Oddly Organ - FREE !!!
One additional "additive" organ. The same is 9 levers, emulation "of the flick", which revolves dynamics and any additional tastiness in the form of equalizer, chorus, tremolo and distortion.
Coming as Windows VSTi.
Download HERE

DSK Music have also a Hammond like rompler.
DSK B3x - FREE !!!
2 layers, 12 waveforms
Octave select and micro-detuner
Effects (Delay, flanger)
Assignable Automation Capability
By default the release is HUGE !!! fix that according to your taste before you'll say it's a bad plugin... Actually is not bad but the other DSK plugins are more convincing.
Coming as Windows VSTi.

And now one of the BEST ever, but is quite pricey. Again, You'll have what you pay for.
LinPlug - Organ 3 - $129 / EU99
Organ 3 is a software organ emulation with all controls found on the original Hammond B3 as well as a sophisticated rotary speaker simulation.
Coming as VSTi, AU and RTAS.
Demo HERE.

Iliadis have several Hammond Clone Simulationns.
VH-1 - A Virtual Drawbar Organ - FREE !!!
VH-2 - Drawbar and Transistor Organ Simulation - FREE !!!
EfthimiaSM Organ - A Single Manual Hammond Clone Simulation - FREE !!!
All have a vintage look GUI.
All comes as Windows VSTi.

ComboSister - EU35.90 / $48.90
"an instrument that is not merely a clone of a single organ model, but an original virtual instrument which captures the feeling of that fantastic retro sound and catapults that "experience" into the future." as they say...
Coming as VSTi, Mac VSTi and AU.

Have a great fun rediscovering "old school" sound ;)

Audio Software: Software Synths

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-06-27 14:24:03

========================
Chapter III

Somehow I doubt that VST's will sound like this, they should provide a player in this case too :))
Several more finds, thoughts and advices.

Safwan Matni - ELROG - FREE !!!
ELROG is a vintage organ emulator made with Synth Edit
More about it on KVR
Comes as Windows VSTi.

Key Rig - $129.95
NO LONGER AVAILABLE :(
Posted here just for the sake of history.
"Key Rig from M-Audio covers all the basic needs for today's keyboardist in a single virtual rack. Compatible with most Mac and PC environments, Key Rig delivers four great-sounding modules that can be used in stand-alone or plug-in mode.
The SP-1 Stage Piano module serves up grand pianos, Wurlitzer, classic electric pianos, FM, clavinet and more.
The MS-2 Polyphonic Synthesizer delivers a new, easy way to call up and edit great synth sounds.
The MB-3 Electromagnetic Organ emulates the classic Hammond sound complete with rotary speaker.
And the GM-4 General MIDI Module is great for sequencing the rest of your backing tracks.
"
Used to come as VST 2.0, AU or RTAS.

UltimateSoundBank Charlie - 89.00 EUR
Sound library for UVI SOUNDCARDS.
3 Gb sample library recorded with audiophile gear, includeing presets with and without rotating speaker cabinet, Vibrato and percussion. Recorded through the regular speaker, guitar amps and D.I. boxes.

More about real Hammonds:
www.afana.org/jazzorgan
History of the Hammond B-3 Organ

KVR "Organ" search page:
HERE

The Hammond classic sound is usually modulated through a Leslie Cabinet and for more realistic sound you can put your instrument plugins through some emulators of this gear.
Sounds good on guitar too. Some of legendary Beatles guitar solos used that (solo from "Let it Be" comes into my mind) and John Scofield made his landmark sound with that.

Response to Audio Software: Software Synths 2009-07-03 13:21:42

is there any program that is free and as simple as can be, like not a synthesizer or something.

you kick my dog