00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep

18,904 Views | 102 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 22:14:44

At 2/11/02 09:58 PM, XeroEffect wrote: It's pretty neat. I was just proceeding to lv 2 when I saw it, so I thought it came with senority at first and got confused.

It is missing some of the information that was avalible before though, isn't it?

By the way, I signed up a few days ago after having frequented this site for months before(here comes the flame). The experiance i lost without an account irritates me.

6000 baby

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 22:37:24

Hey Tom,

I love the new post-vote animations! Pico looks so much more developed, visually-- it's great. You always seem to have the most creative ideas up your sleeve. The reduced pop-ups are also good too; the browser isn't quite so cranky.

More new and interesting things! It looks like you have a million of 'em.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 23:00:55

did noone hear my post?

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 23:25:08

I was wondering about the time that is had to tell you when you can deposit again

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 23:44:12

TOM= the only thing i see wrong about it would be that it doesnt say when your new day of newgrounding will begin, you should put that back on, please

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-11 23:47:17

TOM TOM TOM!!!!!!

Yeah i read your article but i dont know how to do it in the way your using it, you using php and theres a limit n php since its a streaming updated file you have to redownload the information each time to the source. especially if its a flash animation, the wa i know how to do it is using ASP asp you can chagne the variable definitions to Dynamic Input and then the funtcions will let you load only that one single variable so if the person lag it wont show the score itll play the animation though =) plus itll deposti 2 point into the users cache. to force cache set all to Dynamic Input reciveing from the variably disposition and then the html batch file should be included with the php script to allow a forced cache =)

Eff it.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 00:15:24

Wow, Tom.
These new animations are wild, is this how it'll look in Pico2?

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 00:26:38

The animation is outstanding. But it gets a bit repetitive.

I suggest an option to turn it off. It really lags my crappy computer.

But keep up the great work. :)

Go Tom!

See my comics, updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!

http://www.toonhole.com

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 01:00:25

Dear Mr Fulp,
It wont let me post the code so i uploaded it to the clockcrew server the code can be found at

http://www.clockcrew.com/newgroundscache.txt

if anyone sees a mistake please contact me so i may correct it i wrote it just for you tom!

Eff it.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 01:21:46

I love the new Pico system. It takes a bit o' time to run, but that funky dance has made me wanna vote more than ever. Things like this are winning me back to this site after a long time away. Keep up the spendiforous work, eh?

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 01:24:23

great just great

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 02:21:43

At 2/12/02 01:24 AM, pandi wrote: great just great

Its cool, but why doesn't Pico smile? He should be happy when you get the points. He's not even smiling when he breakdances. But it is sweet anyway.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 03:51:25

Not sure if its me but recently I can't vote on any portal entries since it just gives me an "Old version of flash" error even though I just reinstalled the latest Flash plugins...any help?

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 04:03:08

Iv'e just been taking a look at the new voting animations! Brilliant!!!

Nice one Tom!

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 04:07:57

Wooooooohhhhhooooooo......I like the BLAM-counter ;)

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 04:16:10

I like it, but you need an option to change it because I am really pissed at how you just fucked us 56Kers up the ass even more than you already have. And that old BLAM movie was 200x cooler than anything you have changed, pico or not. The new one sucks big fat ass.

And the music on the portal/front page should be OFF automatically, not ON

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 07:32:43

At 2/12/02 04:16 AM, MI4_REAL_2001 wrote: I like it, but you need an option to change it because I am really pissed at how you just fucked us 56Kers up the ass even more than you already have. And that old BLAM movie was 200x cooler than anything you have changed, pico or not. The new one sucks big fat ass.

And the music on the portal/front page should be OFF automatically, not ON

I have to agree about it being a bit of a pain in the arse for modem users.

After you've seen it once, you'd just rather it loaded faster, and you didn't have to wait so long to press buttons.

Maybe sometime in the future, you could make a 2nd version of the portal - you could have 1 'full' version with all the flashy trimmings, and animations and stuff going on, and you could have one without pictures and flash animations going on in the background and stuff.

Basically, the 2nd version would be for modem users who just want to do stuff quickly, and it would just basically be text, and links to the flash.

When you vote, you'd just get the stats in text form, and...

I can't really think of much else that takes ages to load on a 56K.

Still, if you did this, it would allow you to make loads more funky changes whilst making the site easy to use for modem users.

You could also list the size beside the Flash' name on this 2nd version, thus allowing modem users to decide what they can be bothered downloading.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 07:34:08

At 2/12/02 07:32 AM, Bezman wrote: a load of stuff.

That was pretty badly written, but you understand what I was trying to say...

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 08:01:49

The new Pico Flash roxx

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 09:16:39

At 2/12/02 12:15 AM, Mopsicle wrote: Wow, Tom.

Yup - Jose is doing an amazing job. Of course, you can watch Pico walk from 8 angles in Pico2!

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 09:31:53

At 2/12/02 09:16 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/12/02 12:15 AM, Mopsicle wrote: Wow, Tom.
Yup - Jose is doing an amazing job. Of course, you can watch Pico walk from 8 angles in Pico2!

-Tom

mmm that'll be so kewl i just can't wait! ^_^

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 09:53:30

At 2/11/02 09:58 PM, XeroEffect wrote: It's pretty neat. I was just proceeding to lv 2 when I saw it, so I thought it came with senority at first and got confused.

It is missing some of the information that was avalible before though, isn't it?

By the way, I signed up a few days ago after having frequented this site for months before(here comes the flame). The experiance i lost without an account irritates me.

i love the pico animations. and im with you xero i was voting for almost5 months before i signed up and im pissed at the stuff i lost

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 10:11:15

I like it!
hooray!

The things that Pico says correspond better to how movies are actually reviewed by people.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 11:29:46

I how there is less pop-ups even though i have pop-up killer it still makes the page load alot faster. Thats all i had to say
Click Here to see my website!

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 11:36:42

Tom changed the voting words.... i kinda liked this is the cats pajamas it sounded funny... dont changed the all my 5 are belong to this

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 16:05:40

"Now when you vote on a movie, you will be treated to a cute animation of Pico interacting with the .swf file."

This is SO much better then the old text, But how about facial Expression Tom? When you Vote 5 or 0 he has the same face, Maybee if His face resembled the vote Options, Vote 5 he Grins like an Idiot or vote 0 and he can look rather pissed, Just an Idea and good Job Tom Fulp.....I'M NOT WORTHY I'M NOT WORTHY!

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-12 17:12:55

The Pico animation is indeed very cute...

I am not happy at all though :( The Newgrounds server is as slow for me as it was before "the speed update". Maybe this is caused by the "vote movie".

I don't know a solution for the caching problem atm... but I'll look into it.

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-13 02:59:31

Ahhh..the new changes are kinda good now....getting rid of the X button may now speed 'er up!

And I do like the pico animation, don't get me wrong, just the lag..the lag!!

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-13 03:01:35

At 2/12/02 11:36 AM, chocolatepicklebread wrote: Tom changed the voting words.... i kinda liked this is the cats pajamas it sounded funny... dont changed the all my 5 are belong to this

Let see
0:BLAM THIS PIECE OF CRAP=Perfect
1:THIS MAKES POOP LOOK GOOD=Perfect
2:NOTHING NEW OR SPECIAL=Not much difference
3:NOT BAD, INFACT I LIKE IT=Perfect
4:HOLY SNAP, THIS MOVIE OWNS=Pretty good
5:W00T! ALL MY 5 R BELONG 2 THIS!=Nice

Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep 2002-02-19 11:22:52

YA!! Less Pop-ups