Respond to this Topic
Othello
Othello
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 12:03 PM Reply

Newgrounds' being homo, homo, gayer than rainbows, noone you see, is gayer than he... i just went to deposite my decond bunch and i was logged out again. why does this happen? its bad enough it losing track of votes when i crash (often) but now i dont even have enough time to watch all 5 movies if i want exp!!

Othello
Othello
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 12:29 PM Reply

also, when logged in i still get pop-unders although less, so thats good. but, the ng banner music doesnt loop for me, and it takes a few seconds to start. never used to happen till the new updates

lucidox
lucidox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Pretty cool...I like it, although I still have to manually log in every time to deposit. I wish it would log me in automatically like before.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 06:29 AM, OrtizAnimationZ wrote: Damn great Job Tom!! that kicks Ass!:)..

I love the whole layout, and the time and sound fits just perfect! (like the sparkles on the grenade, and the way the swf squashes and stretches!)

And That shadow at the end was an awesome surpize!:)

None of it would be possible without your great Pico art! :)

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:26 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 06:45 AM, zipstyke wrote: And who did the anims... you? It looked like fan-art by some1...... And it is real cool. just the breakdancing is a biut blocky... sorry to be finicky.

byeeeeeeeeeeee

Jose did all the Pico art... And the breakdancing animation roolz! :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
SolarisDX
SolarisDX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:30 PM Reply

Wow... the new voting thing is simply awesome!
Great Job!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 11:22 AM, Septimus wrote:
At 2/11/02 02:41 AM, TomFulp wrote: If this goes over well there may be more fun stuff on the way. I am horribly vexed by one thing, though - when I made the .swf movie(120k), I figured it would be saved in peoples' cache so they would only have to load it once. Since the filename imports dynamic variables, however, the browser apparently doesn't know to cache the file. If anyone can help me "force-cache" the .swf with dynamic variables, I'm sure everyone would be VERY grateful!
I'm no expert on external variables, but couldn't you use the load variable command to gather variables in the vote.php (or whatever it is called) page that the swf is on? If you did it like that, the browser could easily call up the cached swf. But then again, you probably thought up something like that and it didn't work for some reason or another. ;)

I am tempted to do it that way, but the one downside is that Flash has to make a call to the server - so every time someone votes on a movie, that is one more server all. You've seen how slow NG can get, so if there is lag it could be a bitch. Still, the 120k download every time might be worth it... Decisions decisions. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
Splent
Splent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 01:31 PM Reply

Tom it's sweet but when I blam a movie it comes up as one less than my actual total.

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 03:00 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/11/02 02:52 AM, RomikQ wrote: the pico vote movie is pretty cool, although the CHEATER alert is kinda stupid lol.
Ya mean when someone tries to vote twice on a movie, or something else?

-Tom

I think he's talking about when you rewind the movie. If you try to rewind the BLAM movie (which I reckon's a bit too similar to the main one, byt d'way), you get the 'cheater' sign.

Interestingly, if you rewind the normal movie (well, the one for overtime anyway...), you see the end of the BLAM movie. You seem to sometimes be able to rewind it to near the end of the BLAM movie, sometimes to the cheater sign.

Try it. I think it needs fixing.

Oh, and maybe it's just me, but the movie for voting twice doesn't seem to load.

But overall, I'm impressed with the generall idea. Definitely one of the biggest changes I've seen, as it affects the look of the whole site.

It just needs a little work...

Septimus
Septimus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 01:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I am tempted to do it that way, but the one downside is that Flash has to make a call to the server - so every time someone votes on a movie, that is one more server all. You've seen how slow NG can get, so if there is lag it could be a bitch. Still, the 120k download every time might be worth it... Decisions decisions. :)

-Tom

Would flash have to call the sever if it actually called the php page that the swf is on? I know it's easy to load variables from text files, and supposedly you can do the same with php. If you set up the variables you needed from the actual page itself, that is less server load.

But then again, I may be talking out of my arse, I know next to nothing about php and sql. ;) In fact, I going to have to ask someone about how to build a monsterous high score list for the game I am currently working on... *Begs for help*

-Septy.

BAHArts
BAHArts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 02:57 PM Reply

Suggestion:

Add Final Fantasy victory music when a BLAM occurs.

PenguinsHateMe
PenguinsHateMe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:48 PM Reply

Hey Tom that was great. I love the anamation with Pico. I just have one complaint. When he throws that thing and hits the flash file a little message comes up telling you your power and the damage or aid you gave to the movie/game. I love that. It's just that it only stays there for a half of a fucking second, dude! I think that it would be perfect if it would stay up there.
Peace out honkey

Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep

Pooplit
Pooplit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 03:51 PM Reply

Those animations are "The Cats Pajamas," as all the kids are saying...
well, there not saying that, cause its stupid, but you know whats not stupid? those animations, and Alf, i love alf.
bye friends, I'm gonna go have grilled cheese

Pooplit
Pooplit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:05 PM Reply

oh yeah....
I doubt many people have seen it, but I think the new BLAM animation could have been way cooler, envolving, apes, and blood, and THE HURTING! but i guess you are only one man computer geek guy, Tom..... or are you??????
DUH DUH DUH!!!
bah....

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 02:41 AM, TomFulp wrote: It has been a long night, but we have implemented the new post-voting front-end for the Portal. Now when you vote on a movie, you will be treated to a cute animation of Pico interacting with the .swf file. Registered users can also advance on the game board and deposit their experience points when they get to the end each day. We basically shifted the system from being a text-based RPG to a visual RPG. :)

If this goes over well there may be more fun stuff on the way. I am horribly vexed by one thing, though - when I made the .swf movie(120k), I figured it would be saved in peoples' cache so they would only have to load it once. Since the filename imports dynamic variables, however, the browser apparently doesn't know to cache the file. If anyone can help me "force-cache" the .swf with dynamic variables, I'm sure everyone would be VERY grateful!

While we were digging around in the Portal source code we decided to make another change that should please hardcore members... We removed the pop-under code that was on every page of the site, and changed it so it is only on every Portal view page. There are less pop-unders overall and "OH SNAP!", there's more! If you are logged in as a registered user, the pop-unders won't load at all. You will still get the occasional pop-up, but for the most part you will be livin' large.

In other news - Portal contributor Stitch has launched his own web site - check it out! You can kill kittens!

Go vote on some movies in the Portal and tell me what you think of the new visual voting system. Does it slow things down too much, or is it so fresh and so clean clean? I wanna add level-up animations, and bonus opportunities when you record your experience points... All sorts of madness... We'll see how it goes.

I love pico animation it loads fast on my dsl tom great job thumbs up on this man your awsome

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:10 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 04:07 PM, fire wrote:
At 2/11/02 02:41 AM, TomFulp wrote: It has been a long night, but we have implemented the new post-voting front-end for the Portal. Now when you vote on a movie, you will be treated to a cute animation of Pico interacting with the .swf file. Registered users can also advance on the game board and deposit their experience points when they get to the end each day. We basically shifted the system from being a text-based RPG to a visual RPG. :)

If this goes over well there may be more fun stuff on the way. I am horribly vexed by one thing, though - when I made the .swf movie(120k), I figured it would be saved in peoples' cache so they would only have to load it once. Since the filename imports dynamic variables, however, the browser apparently doesn't know to cache the file. If anyone can help me "force-cache" the .swf with dynamic variables, I'm sure everyone would be VERY grateful!

While we were digging around in the Portal source code we decided to make another change that should please hardcore members... We removed the pop-under code that was on every page of the site, and changed it so it is only on every Portal view page. There are less pop-unders overall and "OH SNAP!", there's more! If you are logged in as a registered user, the pop-unders won't load at all. You will still get the occasional pop-up, but for the most part you will be livin' large.

In other news - Portal contributor Stitch has launched his own web site - check it out! You can kill kittens!

Go vote on some movies in the Portal and tell me what you think of the new visual voting system. Does it slow things down too much, or is it so fresh and so clean clean? I wanna add level-up animations, and bonus opportunities when you record your experience points... All sorts of madness... We'll see how it goes.
I love pico animation it loads fast on my dsl tom great job thumbs up on this man your awsome

that break dancing is sweet goood job Tom i like how i can get more points than before keep it up

Splent
Splent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:12 PM Reply

Yeah the breakdancing is sweet. I think there should be some sort of music, though. And as I said before, when you blam a movie, the total shown is one less than you actually have.

Regus
Regus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:19 PM Reply

A few minutes ago, I just met quota for today, and I got to see the little Pico breakin’ animation, but when I clicked on the “Deposit your experience” button, I was greeted with this happy little error message:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'melvin.troma.com' (110) in /home/tfulp/html/gold/session.php on line 61
Can't connect to melvin.troma.com as newgrounds MySQL Error:

When I hit the back button on my browser, I was given another error message that said that I didn’t have the proper Flash, or something to that effect. So, I have no idea if my experience was deposited, but think it was, because when I tried to vote on the movie again, Pico told me that I’d “Better watch it bub - you already voted on this today.”

Fultos
Fultos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 04:19 PM, Regus wrote: A few minutes ago, I just met quota for today, and I got to see the little Pico breakin’ animation, but when I clicked on the “Deposit your experience” button, I was greeted with this happy little error message:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'melvin.troma.com' (110) in /home/tfulp/html/gold/session.php on line 61

When I hit the back button on my browser, I was given another error message that said that I didn’t have the proper Flash, or something to that effect. So, I have no idea if my experience was deposited, but think it was, because when I tried to vote on the movie again, Pico told me that I’d “Better watch it bub - you already voted on this today.”

MarkWillett
MarkWillett
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 04:52 PM Reply

Yeah i read your article but i dont know how to do it in the way your using it, you using php and theres a limit n php since its a streaming updated file you have to redownload the information each time to the source. especially if its a flash animation, the wa i know how to do it is using ASP asp you can chagne the variable definitions to Dynamic Input and then the funtcions will let you load only that one single variable so if the person lag it wont show the score itll play the animation though =) plus itll deposti 2 point into the users cache. to force cache set all to Dynamic Input reciveing from the variably disposition and then the html batch file should be included with the php script to allow a forced cache =)

Eff it.

gorgatun
gorgatun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 05:18 PM Reply

STOP MAKING UPGRADES TO THE SITE!!!
Temporarily, of course. Please try to focous all of your energy to pico 2.
In short:
First Pico 2, THEN upgrades.

Miggs
Miggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 05:28 PM Reply

Woah dude, the new pico animation looks so fucking awesome. Great job with that, man. The motions and everything are nice and smooth.

BTW thanks for the plug to my site, I really appreciate that...

MarcoPolo
MarcoPolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:03 PM Reply

I love the new voting system, it adds a lot of depth to the voting.

By the way, anyone see that they made a reference to "All your base are belong to us" on the The Chair? The question was "What is the last word of the Pledge of Alleigence?" The possible answers were All, Your, Base, and Belong. I thought that was SO cool.

BetongAsna
BetongAsna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:13 PM Reply

nice one

nice animations, shame about the wait
at least u can skip them if u want 2

the CHEATER things pretty cool

chocolatepicklebread
chocolatepicklebread
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 06:44 PM Reply

I like the overall design of the voting videos but here is some suggestions

Slow it dow where it tells you how much youve changed the score

have a link where you deposit out of the swf

Jen-the-Great
Jen-the-Great
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 07:56 PM Reply

I really like the new system. It doesn't slow me down at all, but I can see how it would be a problem for 56kers. It feels like a game. Excellent job.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 2/11/02 04:19 PM, Regus wrote: A few minutes ago, I just met quota for today, and I got to see the little Pico breakin’ animation, but when I clicked on the “Deposit your experience” button, I was greeted with this happy little error message:

You can still log your experience points - but you will have to vote on another movie to do so. Sorry for the server issues. :(

-Tom

BBS Signature
Calderon
Calderon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:49 PM Reply

If small changes equal advancement, then this is a evolution.

The animation is great, and the ablitiy to update/upgrade the movie with bouns sweetens the deal! :)

Great work Tom! Newgrounds is about to be reborn again!

( insert BLAM ad here :D )

Shikyoh
Shikyoh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 08:59 PM Reply

I like the new animations and I like all the upgrades that are coming out. Fuck the modem users ;) cable people are the ones that see more adds anyway ;)

<deleted>
Response to Portal Updates, Pop-Ups, Sleep Feb. 11th, 2002 @ 09:10 PM Reply

How do i move Pico?