00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Book Club

87,258 Views | 1,136 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 06:24:32

Every time I mention a book to someone, I think of another I've just gotta read. Now, with the mention of the Grail Quest series to Myst, I've thought : 'Wouldn't it be nice if I read the Sharpe books' (also by Bernard Cornwell)

It's almost annoying

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 11:13:27

At 11/22/04 05:50 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: Aha.... yanks.
Are you irish?... the word yanks remind sme of Gone With The Wind... or the yankees.... either way, they make me think of irish ppl.

Naaaah im not Irish. Im English to the core....well not to the core. Ive got some relatives up in Scotland apparently but Ive never met them........so yeah?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 13:04:00

yeh the book after moont blanc and skelenton key are great ive just finished em.
but i havent got the 1 afetyer that and i want to know wats iots called?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 13:07:55

I think its called 'Scorpia' and learn to spell ok....

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 17:05:52

Not just spell, but spell, punctuate and use grammar. I wasn't ready for that one, but if an English teacher saw it, it would be covered in red pen quite soon

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 17:08:53

At 11/23/04 05:05 PM, Coop83 wrote: Not just spell, but spell, punctuate and use grammar. I wasn't ready for that one, but if an English teacher saw it, it would be covered in red pen quite soon

My uncles an english teacher. DSunno why i siad that I just thought it might make interesting convo.

i need a new book people. Ive gone throuhg all my pratchetts.brian Jaques and David eddings books and I need something NEW and interesting to read!

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-23 17:20:43

See my erlier posts on Bernard Cornwell and Chris Ryan. Maybe you should try David Gemmell or Julian May. Their stuff is excellent

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 12:14:57

At 11/23/04 05:20 PM, Coop83 wrote: See my erlier posts on Bernard Cornwell and Chris Ryan. Maybe you should try David Gemmell or Julian May. Their stuff is excellent

I belive IVe read a david Gemell book before. Dunno what it was called....ah well off to the library I go....now where the hell is my card?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 13:39:07

Mine expired some time ago, though I still read my books. I just buy them and read them after. I can't abide people who go to the library and take out books, returning them when they have caused such attrocious damage to them, so I stopped using the library

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 13:41:40

At 11/24/04 01:39 PM, Coop83 wrote: Mine expired some time ago, though I still read my books. I just buy them and read them after. I can't abide people who go to the library and take out books, returning them when they have caused such attrocious damage to them, so I stopped using the library

lol. yeha it is annoying but Im the kind person who looks after the books for the next person to read them:P I would just go out and buy books but Im on a limited budget so I cant really afford to

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 13:55:54

I'm on a limited budget too, it's just that I can stretch it to get me what I want, when I want it, usually

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 13:57:49

At 11/24/04 01:55 PM, Coop83 wrote: I'm on a limited budget too, it's just that I can stretch it to get me what I want, when I want it, usually

lucky you. I cant stretc h anything really. Imdreading the day when I have to move out into my own place. Im going to completely fuck up my finances i can just tell it.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-24 14:45:41

Well im not really on a budget. Today i got two weeks sick pay, which was nice, so im gonna look into buying some new books tommorow, i'll see what comes up. Im kinda looking to expand my collection to atleast 6 or 7 authors, all my books 30 or so are all from the same authors, which kinda boring after a while.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-25 13:51:17

At 11/24/04 01:57 PM, Frozen_fox wrote: lucky you. I cant stretc h anything really. Imdreading the day when I have to move out into my own place. Im going to completely fuck up my finances i can just tell it.

Yeah, but since you're only 15, you get a chance to learn. Granted, I'm earning more money than you, I'm spending a shed load more as well.

Cars are very demanding on the old wallet, so I haven't actually bought a book, since I passed my driving test in August.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-27 06:30:37

At 11/25/04 01:51 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 11/24/04 01:57 PM, Frozen_fox wrote: lucky you. I cant stretc h anything really. Imdreading the day when I have to move out into my own place. Im going to completely fuck up my finances i can just tell it.
Yeah, but since you're only 15, you get a chance to learn. Granted, I'm earning more money than you, I'm spending a shed load more as well.

Im not that bad with money but because xmas is coming up I cant really buy anything for myself. Ive got to save up to get my mom xmas present and its gonna cost me like 50 quid so I really cant afford to buy any more books :-'( But thankfully my parents let me raid their book shelves so IVe got plenty to read only thing is IVe read all the thing is that interest me :-\

Cars are very demanding on the old wallet, so I haven't actually bought a book, since I passed my driving test in August.

YEah i imagine cars would be a drain on your money.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 14:16:00

make me!jgbsbugjbuc

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 14:43:30

At 11/28/04 02:16 PM, D0gg wrote: make me!jgbsbugjbuc

ahem

The Book Club

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 14:44:24

At 11/28/04 02:43 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote:
ahem

Errm,Dude.That's Spam to....

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 14:47:41

At 11/28/04 02:44 PM, PowerMadClock wrote:
ahem

good point.......ah well.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:12:48

At 11/28/04 02:44 PM, PowerMadClock wrote:
ahem

No, it isn't spam, it is a retort to spam, thus actually giving that post a purpose. It is illustrating the fact that we don't tolerate spam in this thread.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:16:58

At 11/28/04 03:12 PM, Coop83 wrote: No, it isn't spam, it is a retort to spam, thus actually giving that post a purpose. It is illustrating the fact that we don't tolerate spam in this thread.

errr yeah what Coop said.

Anyway I found a new book by David and LEigh Eddings today called the redemption of athalus. Has anyone read it and is it worth me getting a copy of it? I read the blurb and it seemed pretty interesting.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:23:59

Never heard of it. Why not try it and let us know. I'm gonna read some of my new books in my collection and post reviews on them, because just saying 'Have you heard of this book? Cos it rocks' isn't really a good review

Should we all try something along these lines?

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:27:42

At 11/28/04 03:23 PM, Coop83 wrote: Never heard of it. Why not try it and let us know. I'm gonna read some of my new books in my collection and post reviews on them, because just saying 'Have you heard of this book? Cos it rocks' isn't really a good review

Should we all try something along these lines?

Yeha Ill try and persuade my mom to loan me some money to get Redemptionn of Athalus and when im done Ill post a proper review of it......from the blurb though it seems like a typical eddings novel. Gods that ant to rule the world a magic item that been stolen or has gone missing. The only annoying thing about weddings books is that the general idea of them all is the same. The stories and events may differ but tehy all revolve aroundan item being stolen and then the item being found again and then the evil god who is after the item is killed and the good guys celebrate untill they are whiske doff to another continent and then the same story happens again.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:39:57

Sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it over the next few weeks.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:41:23

At 11/28/04 03:39 PM, Coop83 wrote: Sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it over the next few weeks.

If Eddings is on form it should be good. And thankfully my mom has said she will buy it for me. so Ill be starting to read it late rin the week :P

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:49:56

Okay. Here's the hot question of the week for the book club. Which book should I read first to put a proper review in?

1) Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett
2) Legend - David Gemmell
3) Dragonsdawn - Anne McCaffrey
4) The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin

I can't decide, so I'll leave it up to the members to tell me what to do this time.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:52:19

At 11/28/04 03:49 PM, Coop83 wrote: Okay. Here's the hot question of the week for the book club. Which book should I read first to put a proper review in?

1) Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett

Is that a new book? If it is I say that one mainly because I love pratchett.<3

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 15:57:43

Monstrous Regiment is number 28 of 29. Going Postal was recently released in hardback and is due out in paperback in October 2005, I think.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:13:35

At 11/28/04 03:57 PM, Coop83 wrote: Monstrous Regiment is number 28 of 29. Going Postal was recently released in hardback and is due out in paperback in October 2005, I think.

jesus. So many books so little money to buy them with. I havent even got theif of time yet God knows how many Im missing now. He seems to be cranking them out at quite a rate. Is he that desperate for money?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:24:57

No, he just enjoys writing them so much. Here, let me give you the FULL list

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet of Clay
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Thief of Time
Night Watch
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal

The first of them was published in 1983. Only a few months after I was born, so he's been chugging these great works out for nearly 22 years. Terry Pratchett loves writing these books and will continue to do so for a long time. He publicly acknowledges the fact that he is rich, and that he has too much money to spend in his life. The only reason he writes is for the pleasure.

I hope I can get into a position like that someday.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature