00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Book Club

87,124 Views | 1,136 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:27:00

At 11/28/04 04:24 PM, Coop83 wrote:
The Truth
Thief of Time
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal

Those are the ones that I dont have. Meh well im getting money for xmas so Ill go buy them then hopefully

I hope I can get into a position like that someday.

Lol dont we all. Rich famous but doing somehing we love to do. its the perfetc job really.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:31:32

At 11/28/04 04:27 PM, Frozen_Fox wrote:
At 11/28/04 04:24 PM, Coop83 wrote:
The Truth
Thief of Time
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal
Those are the ones that I dont have. Meh well im getting money for xmas so Ill go buy them then hopefully

Well, the only one I don't have is Going Postal, though I haven't read Monstrous Regiment yet and I've had that for about 9 months.

I hope I can get into a position like that someday.
Lol dont we all. Rich famous but doing somehing we love to do. its the perfetc job really.

Indeed.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:32:39

At 11/28/04 04:31 PM, Coop83 wrote: Well, the only one I don't have is Going Postal, though I haven't read Monstrous Regiment yet and I've had that for about 9 months.

What are the others like are they as good as his other books?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:42:46

Both excellent.
The Truth focuses around Ankh Morpork and Pratchett's vision of industrialising the disc. This is the development of the Newspaper in the form of the Times, run by William de Worde, which focuses on the news itself and getting the truth to the masses.
It also shows us some of hsi rivals, the unscrupulous tabloids, who make up their stories to sell a paper.

Good, but not as good as Thief of Time

This book brings us back to our friend, the sweeper aka Lu Tze. As you shoul know, he is a history monk and he has to help time come full circle, by encouraging her child to take up her position, because she is going to die. (It is how it work)
Thief of time comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, vilains,yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth horseman of the apocalypse (Who left before they became famous).

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:44:43

At 11/28/04 04:42 PM, Coop83 wrote: Thief of time comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, vilains,yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth horseman of the apocalypse (Who left before they became famous).

Wtf? Ronnie? LMAO! Ive got to read it now. I wanna find out more about Ronnie.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:46:12

Ronnie Soak. Trust me, you won't get it until it gets spelled out to you ;)

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 16:48:06

At 11/28/04 04:46 PM, Coop83 wrote: Ronnie Soak. Trust me, you won't get it until it gets spelled out to you ;)

lol. Damn i might get that insetad of redemption f athalus......oh the choices....eenie meanie miney mo. Catch a goblin by its toe. If ts squeals let it go eenie meanie miney mo.....hmmmmmm looks like pratchett means.

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-28 17:42:12

Happy choosing, Frozen. I'll leave it a bit, to see if anyone else wants to vote on my first Book Review for the club.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-30 18:44:06

I was thinking as I was browsing the other fourms "Man nothing to do" then it came to me why dont I actually post in my club...Im a genius

Oh yes Ive been looking into 'War OF Worlds' and the first chapter was great im right into it and will probaly finish it with the week.Anyone else reading anything new?

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-30 19:48:24

I've got all the Discworld books (even the kiddie ones: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky) apart from Lords and Ladies and Going Postal (I did have Lords and Ladiers but an ex-friend stole it from me grr) Discworld is by far my fave series of books, and I hope Mr Pratchett keeps em going for a long time yet. Oh by the way can I join this club please? :oD

Response to The Book Club 2004-11-30 22:34:03

At 11/30/04 06:44 PM, LordSkeletor wrote: Oh yes Ive been looking into 'War OF Worlds' and the first chapter was great im right into it and will probaly finish it with the week.Anyone else reading anything new?

See how much i stir up, if it was not for me bringing up the War of the Worlds, where would you be? lol. It is amazing, eh? I cannot wait to see the movie that Steven Speilberg is making of it.

Anyway, just poking my head in... i am re-reading Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde because the first time i read it i was 13... so long 5 years ago. It has been collecting dust and i thought it was worth a re-read considering i probably did not understand all of it the first time. I was only wee back then.

Have a pleasent night all. From your friend Myst.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-01 12:11:59

Ahh, people are back on the club. I'm going to read a book 'of your choice' as my next project and then post a review on the BBS.

There are 4 books to choose from. Please consider your choice carefully, because I don't want to review a book which people have already read and think was great. I want to encourage other people to read a book, because I liked it throught the power of review. Here's the choices:

1) Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett
2) Legend - David Gemmell
3) Dragonsdawn - Anne McCaffrey
4) The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-01 15:27:31

At 12/1/04 12:11 PM, Coop83 wrote: 1) Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett
2) Legend - David Gemmell
3) Dragonsdawn - Anne McCaffrey
4) The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin

Read 2) Legend - David Gemmell, I am curious of it but have not read it yet. Thats my vote anyway.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-01 15:31:46

Great. That's 1 vote for Legend and 1 vote for Monstrous Regiment

Anyone else want to contribute?

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 14:13:52

Oh yes I havent read 'The War Of Worlds' but today I was loksing for it,I bought it and I read some of it and Im right into it, anyone give me some feedback about it?

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 15:38:45

At 12/2/04 02:13 PM, LordSkeletor wrote: Oh yes I havent read 'The War Of Worlds' but today I was loksing for it,I bought it and I read some of it and Im right into it, anyone give me some feedback about it?

I read it so long ago i forget alot of it, but i listen to the soundtrack all the time. I just remember loving it. Like being 'wowed' a few times. Then again, i was like 14 when i read it. It was one of the first classics i ever read except the Mayor of Casterbridge.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 15:44:07

1) Monstous Regiment.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 15:53:39

At 12/2/04 03:38 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: I read it so long ago i forget alot of it, but i listen to the soundtrack all the time. I just remember loving it. Like being 'wowed' a few times. Then again, i was like 14 when i read it. It was one of the first classics i ever read except the Mayor of Casterbridge.

Cool.
And welcome tvMorbid are you going to become a full time member or just someone who checks in once and a while?
Anyway who is your fave writer?

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:10:19

At 12/2/04 03:44 PM, Tvmorbid wrote: 1) Monstous Regiment.

I had a feeling you were going to vote that way. So, that makes 2 votes for Monstrous Regiment and 1 vote for Legend.

Voting will last until I've finished Soul Music (So it could be a few days yet) but when I've finished, I shall move on to the chosen book and review it exclusively for the club.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:14:23

At 12/2/04 04:10 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 12/2/04 03:44 PM, Tvmorbid wrote: 1) Monstous Regiment.

Though I really enjoy 'Monstous Regiment' Im going to vote for
2)Legend , That is great :)

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:15:45

Ooh. Now I'm back to square 1. I've got two novels to choose from (Instead of 4) and I need someone to cast a deciding vote.

This isn't fair

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:16:52

Oh wait cant vote on those two....

Go for Dragonsdawn that sounds good ,I'll look arond for it

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:19:29

At 12/2/04 04:16 PM, LordSkeletor wrote: Oh wait cant vote on those two....

Go for Dragonsdawn that sounds good ,I'll look arond for it

Okay, the vote is amended. Dragonsdawn, while not the start of the Dragons of Pern series, is the prequel, establishing how settlers first came to Pern and how the dragons came about. I got about halfway through it and then lost my copy of it on a train. (Bummer) so I've aquired another copy and am ready to read it... eventually.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:20:02

At 12/2/04 04:15 PM, Coop83 wrote: Ooh. Now I'm back to square 1. I've got two novels to choose from (Instead of 4) and I need someone to cast a deciding vote.

This isn't fair

lol1 uhh, can i re-vote Legend??!?! lol. I will tie break it.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-02 16:24:12

No, you can't re-vote on Legend. It's now a three horse race:

Monstrous Regiment: 2 Votes
Legend: 1 Vote
Dragonsdawn: 1 Vote

I'm counting the votes, even though I don't really care which one I read first.

Anyway, back to Soul Music...

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-03 05:13:09

IVe have the day off and IVe jujst been out and bought the Book Redemption of athalus and am going to start reading it at some point today. When Im done Im going to give it a little review.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-03 05:14:21

Yes! my bright idea has caught on. I'm halfway through Soul Music now, so it shouldn't take me too long to finish and move on to the first review.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-03 06:03:38

11 pages I'm not gonna read all that. But I will tell you my favourite books I have ever read. "Tommorow When the War Began" by John Marsden. There are seven books in the series and all of them are worth reading. Its about these teenagers that are doing teenager things when their country gets invaded and they have to fight fro themselves. In this book there is sex, action, death, destruction, happiness, sadness, partiotism. Overall I give this book a 10/10

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-03 08:00:51

At 12/3/04 05:14 AM, Coop83 wrote: Yes! my bright idea has caught on. I'm halfway through Soul Music now, so it shouldn't take me too long to finish and move on to the first review.

Yeeha! I wanna read your rveiew. Be 100% honest... hard criticial thinker. Cuase i wanna know if it is my type just by reading your review. I am the tpye to just stop reading a book if i am not interested or if i get bored. lol.

Response to The Book Club 2004-12-03 15:37:16

Not abad review. It doesn't really give us an insight into the whole plot of the book, but I could see what you are getting at.

What books are on your shelf?

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature