00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaffi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rome Total War Club

94,710 Views | 807 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-08 20:10:11

Yeah, but they still require an army to kill, and so do the macedonians and the armenians and the pontus. And with all your armies spread thin Egypt does some major ass kcking. That's why when I played them I kept clear of war with pontus and armenia.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-08 21:15:20

This is a bit off topic... but...

I HATE ELEPHANTS

look below, pwned

Rome Total War Club

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-09 00:36:30

At 4/8/05 09:15 PM, LordJimmy wrote: This is a bit off topic... but...

I HATE ELEPHANTS

look below, pwned

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL j00 got own3d

No offense but that game me a mighty good laugh XD

And they're not even armoured elephants.

Just try to stear clear of them. Phalanxe, Onagers, and Pigs can do the trick.....if you're lucky....if not....then that screenshot tells the rest XD

And dunt worry, we all suck VS elephants.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-09 15:11:19

At 4/9/05 12:36 AM, RavenGage wrote:
Just try to stear clear of them. Phalanxe, Onagers, and Pigs can do the trick.....if you're lucky....if not....then that screenshot tells the rest XD

And dunt worry, we all suck VS elephants.

i wish i had the honour to battle elaphants in a campaign. never untill now >:(

lol@pic =D

btw, have a superb new pc. "getting" rtw again. omg, i just can't wait to play it in high quality ^_^

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-09 16:41:07

At 4/9/05 03:11 PM, deurwaarder wrote: i wish i had the honour to battle elaphants in a campaign. never untill now >:(

What about Carthage? Haven't you fought them yet?

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 13:55:14

At 4/9/05 04:41 PM, RavenGage wrote:
At 4/9/05 03:11 PM, deurwaarder wrote: i wish i had the honour to battle elaphants in a campaign. never untill now >:(
What about Carthage? Haven't you fought them yet?

hmmm, if i'm correct (already some days ago): 1 battle, or i just declared war.

btw, new pc: OWNZ RTW! omg, full detail and werks perfect. even had a more then 6000 battle. ok, that heavely lagged but it lagged that way on my pc when defending a city from 900 egyptians and flaming arrows. i r teh happy

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 15:45:13

At 4/8/05 09:15 PM, LordJimmy wrote: look below, pwned

Haha, that's a pretty cool pic, despite the quality.

I like setting up battles with a load of heavy cavalry against a horde of war elephants, it's like Rohan vs. the Haradrim in LOTR :) They're always really close, and I end up with about 900 horses and men dead, and only a few hundred remaining.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 15:48:34

At 4/10/05 03:45 PM, Eldarion wrote:

I like setting up battles with a load of heavy cavalry against a horde of war elephants, it's like Rohan vs. the Haradrim in LOTR :) They're always really close, and I end up with about 900 horses and men dead, and only a few hundred remaining.

Sup :)

you need to come over more often! there's ot much action in the club. and you can't deny it: this is still the best and most amazing game there is.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 18:31:52

Total War rawks, I've got all 3 of them.

dsa

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 20:19:04

At 4/10/05 03:45 PM, Eldarion wrote:

You should've seen the leftovers of the battlefeild...

final screen said: crushing defat, men: 3500, Remaining: 0

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 20:24:18

At 4/10/05 03:48 PM, deurwaarder wrote: Sup :)

you need to come over more often! there's ot much action in the club. and you can't deny it: this is still the best and most amazing game there is.

Hey deurwaarder :)

I know, I know, I've neglected the club, but I've neglected the game lately too. I'll have to give it a go again soon, it is indeed the best game ever :D

At 4/10/05 08:19 PM, LordJimmy wrote: You should've seen the leftovers of the battlefeild...

final screen said: crushing defat, men: 3500, Remaining: 0

rofl, the most I've ever used in a battle was just over 1 thousand. You must have a lightning fast PC.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-10 20:31:34

At 4/10/05 08:24 PM, Eldarion wrote: rofl, the most I've ever used in a battle was just over 1 thousand. You must have a lightning fast PC.

Same, well technically toy can't use any more than 2400 at one time. If all your unit slots are filled by a 120 unit. There has to be other armies in oder for you to use more than that. And other armies mean they're controled by a dumbass General that kills himself.

Not always though, I was surprised to fight this battle against Britonia, my 1050 army, another army of mine controled by AI with 800 troops VS 900 Britonians.

I took my time though, and waited for the reinforcments. YThe planwas to squash them in between. The Brotonians howeve forgot about me and charged the AI General. And they got their asses whooped before I could even properly join the fray. Probably luck, but still o_O

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-12 02:40:58

AI generals are crazy. patch 1.2 sez to solve it but there is no "drug" for that game so if i install it i can't play it anymore.

yesterday i had heaps of fun even though i should be studying, god i hate that game. i was doing: artillary (also archers) VS infantrie crossing a bridge. 6 players, 2 teams. it's awsome: tha constant sound of repeating balistas is awsome. cool the see the arrows land in a crowd. and the infantry army is huge. impressive to see the AI line up all the armies on the road in front of the bridge. but they rout when they get to the other site becaus they are scared. anyways, i played a game with like 7500 units and later on one with 8400 (give or take). that last game i got wooped. the goal was 2 roman armies against 3 artillary armies (seems fair because of good shields and armour). but i forgot to put egypt in my team so they where on the other side and so i got pwnd. when a certain mass is already on the other side, you're fucked.

but with 7000 and with 8000 my pc lagged hard. but then again i was playing full detail and at a resolution of 1200X720 ( something like that). it was damn pfun.

btw: if you use a dual channel burner to burn the immage on cd. security is also burned on the cd. so at startup they wouldn't ask for the cd. right? because i would like to use the 1.2 patch. better gameplay and a bit more serious. eg: generals wont get a star that fast if they only kill like: routing units etc, no heavy battle. less suicidal AI Generals. anybody already uses the patch?

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-12 16:21:20

Ihave a question: how does a country become a protectorate? I just noticed the bar in the diplomacy tab.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-12 20:01:44

EGYPT GOT OWNED

lol

Eruope is mine. With only some minor british rebels and a little skythinas left, there's nothing left in Europe for me to conquor. Rome is still SPQR property, but they have no armies and their citiy is burning. I made sure of that in a nice long battle, where I fucked them up without taking over the city.

So Now I invade East. I spent 10 years (20 turns) preparing that assult. Elite troops from Sicily, Italy, Carthage, and the Greek islands all gathered together. The result: several thousand of eilte ass whoopers such as preatorian calavlry, preatorian cohorts, some onagers, and of course archer auxilia to back me up. I also have some legionaire cohorts and balista thrown in the overall mess. I mounted them all into 4 large navies each numbering arount 500 ships and I took them straight to the south-east corner of the sea.

Now Alexandria and Memphis are mine and several thousand egyptians lie dead in the desert while my loses number at around 500 (not counting all the mercenaries that I use as fodder). As soon as I take the 2 southern cities, I shall have the core of the Egyptian emipre in my hands. All that they'll have left is those eastern ones, all of their ports are blocked, their navy destroyed and and their remaining armies are only a small obstacle in the path to victory.

And once I beat Egypt there's noone left to oppose me. Macedonia, Armenia, and Parthia are all weakend beyond recognition. The only one who can form any semblance of an organized defence are the Greeks. And it's only a matter of time before they fall too. With all of Europe Africe at my disposal, as well as 1.5 million danarii they won't stand a chance.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-13 01:52:16

At 4/12/05 08:01 PM, RavenGage wrote: EGYPT GOT OWNED

lol

Eruope is mine. With only some minor british rebels and a little skythinas left, there's nothing left in Europe for me to conquor. Rome is still SPQR property, but they have no armies and their citiy is burning. I made sure of that in a nice long battle, where I fucked them up without taking over the city.

So Now I invade East. I spent 10 years (20 turns) preparing that assult. Elite troops from Sicily, Italy, Carthage, and the Greek islands all gathered together. The result: several thousand of eilte ass whoopers such as preatorian calavlry, preatorian cohorts, some onagers, and of course archer auxilia to back me up. I also have some legionaire cohorts and balista thrown in the overall mess. I mounted them all into 4 large navies each numbering arount 500 ships and I took them straight to the south-east corner of the sea.

Now Alexandria and Memphis are mine and several thousand egyptians lie dead in the desert while my loses number at around 500 (not counting all the mercenaries that I use as fodder). As soon as I take the 2 southern cities, I shall have the core of the Egyptian emipre in my hands. All that they'll have left is those eastern ones, all of their ports are blocked, their navy destroyed and and their remaining armies are only a small obstacle in the path to victory.

And once I beat Egypt there's noone left to oppose me. Macedonia, Armenia, and Parthia are all weakend beyond recognition. The only one who can form any semblance of an organized defence are the Greeks. And it's only a matter of time before they fall too. With all of Europe Africe at my disposal, as well as 1.5 million danarii they won't stand a chance.

see ppl, can you feel the love he has for this game. i'ts al good when a plan comes together. how mighty egypt is later in the game, how shit they are when atacked in the first years. lol, i also use mercenaries to go in the front line or defend phalanxes from cavalry. i always buy everything that is mounted and archerm those are superb. 1.5 million dinari, i still can remember how insane high income could be for the romans.

i've been playing around with custom battles. yesterday i was macedon and only had royal pikemen, full. in a square, several layers and 2 archers. and then there was the bruti with only urbans, seleucids with silvershields, germania with theyr ax men, and ponthia with their gladiator like units. well. they could'nt get through the phalanx. i placed them in a small square so that they couldn't use their size against me. was fun. the falanx on the tight had most casualties but then they where constantly atacked and killed over a 1000 units lol.

gotta love this game.

and protectoriate is hard. i tried to convince egypt while they only have 1 city left but nothing (then agian, egypt is very proud so it's pointless). be sure to have at least patch 1.1, 1.2 even better = more dimplomacy

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-13 18:48:15

At 4/13/05 01:52 AM, deurwaarder wrote: see ppl, can you feel the love he has for this game. i'ts al good when a plan comes together.

Indeed ^_^

how mighty egypt is later in the game, how shit they are when atacked in the first years.

I've played the game several times with the Julii but only once before I attacked Egypt. And I got owned in the early stages. I could barely hold onto what little foothold I gained. And as soon as I thought I had a city secure, it rebeled (even though it had 1000+ troops garrisoned in it) So this time I prepared A LOT. And it payed off ^_^

i also use mercenaries to go in the front line or defend phalanxes from cavalry. i always buy everything that is mounted and archerm those are superb.

Same here, I'm especially fond of Sermatian knights. A charge bonus of 17! They totaly waste any infantry, but I haven't tried them against phalanxes yet.

1.5 million dinari, i still can remember how insane high income could be for the romans.

Indeed. And I practically control the entire western Mediterranian, so sea trade has never been higher.

i've been playing around with custom battles. yesterday i was macedon and only had royal pikemen, full. in a square, several layers and 2 archers.

You should try the same thing except have them in a line, at the corner of the map with the map boundaries protecting their flanks. It's cheap but exremely effective.

and then there was the bruti with only urbans, seleucids with silvershields, germania with theyr ax men, and ponthia with their gladiator like units. well. they could'nt get through the phalanx. i placed them in a small square so that they couldn't use their size against me. was fun. the falanx on the tight had most casualties but then they where constantly atacked and killed over a 1000 units lol.

That's all good and all, but why the archers? Would they not fire into the back of their own phalanxes?

gotta love this game.

Yup.

and protectoriate is hard. i tried to convince egypt while they only have 1 city left but nothing (then agian, egypt is very proud so it's pointless). be sure to have at least patch 1.1, 1.2 even better = more dimplomacy

I've tried to get Gaul, SPQR, Brutii, Scipii, Macedonia, Greece, Thrace, and Dacia as a protectorate. And all these trys were when they only had one province and on EASY diffculty as well. And I still failed. Protectorate is fucking impossible >_<

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-13 22:29:28

Time for your daily update onthe Egyptian campaign ^_^

Now I have all 3 of the Egyptiansouth-eastern cities (Memphis, Alexandria, and Thapsus) along withtheir 2 wonder (Ligthouse and Pyramids). I just took over the southermost one - Thapsus (I THINK that's what it was called). Damn that was a brutal battle. The Egyptians weren't muhc of a challnage since I have more troops AND better troops. I did however take my time.

With 2 onagers and 4 archer auxilia, I wanted to do as much damage as possible before advancing with the Legionaries. And so I did. Thier pharo's bowman were killed by flaming arrows, which left only 2 nile spearman, 1 desert axeman, 1 egyptian bodyguard, 1 nerubian cavalry, and 1 chariot archers. I advanced with 4 legionaire cohorts, using the tesudo formation. As soon as I got there, they charged the cavalry and chariots, who were too stupid to charge ME, so it was normal hand to hand combat and I won. But the Egyptian general and the chariot archers did retreat, and pursuing them caused quite a few casualties. But not to worry, I had 1 legionaire cacalry and 1 preatorian cavalry and they took care of the general and then advanced to take over the plaza. Behin them, my 4 preatorians ran full out towards the broken walls and they made the third and final "wave" to enter the city. That's when the AI finally remembered that it had 3 units of infantry left on the wall, the nile spearman went down so they could fight too, but as soon as they came out they were greeted by waiting preatorians. Totaly surrounded and not able to form a phalanx, they were anihalated. And then...the time ran out. Only 2 more infantry units on the wall, and 4 preatorians to take care of them, and the time ran out. But I simply attacked with another army right after and that one made short work of what little resistance remained.

So now there's one more town east of Thaspus and the other Egyptian and ex-Selucid provinces. I have 300-600 troops in each of those 3 cities that I took over, they all have 140+ civil order (a governor and populace extermination made sure of that) and I have 3 full (20 units) standing armies all marching north-east to take the other egyptian cities. These 3 armies are one with balanced proffesional orces, legionaire cavalry, preatorian calavry, preatorian cohorts, legionaire cohorts, archer auxilia, and onagers. The other one is the remains of previous battles, so most of the units aren't at their full strenght but they're close to full, and they're still elite forces. The third one is 8 roman units, and 12 mercenaries, including a mercenarie war elephants unit. I can't wait to sue them in battle.

I also have a small 7 unit force marching west to take that last southern city, and once I do all of africa will be officialy mine. Oh yeah, and all the Egyptian ports, save one are blocked. And that one will be blocked soon enough.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-14 19:10:40

if advanced in the game, ALWAYS exterminate egyptian cities. fucking nationalists. you do good :)

some tiem ago i conquered a rebel city on macedonian land so there starts my campaign of greece and macedonia. btw, just for fun, i allied with the brutti, easy as pie. but nah, i'm going to fight them soon so fuck that. just was amazed how easy it was. so it was ctrl+s afterwards.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-14 19:14:17

At 4/14/05 07:10 PM, deurwaarder wrote: some tiem ago i conquered a rebel city on macedonian land so there starts my campaign of greece and macedonia. btw, just for fun, i allied with the brutti, easy as pie. but nah, i'm going to fight them soon so fuck that. just was amazed how easy it was. so it was ctrl+s afterwards.

Just outta curiosity, what is your land like so far? Like which provinces do you have? In my head I imagine you as owning all of the aast, and north-east, with pontus persia, egypt and armnia destroyed. And now invading west. Is that right?

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-14 20:11:21

At 4/14/05 07:14 PM, RavenGage wrote:
At 4/14/05 07:10 PM, deurwaarder wrote: some tiem ago i conquered a rebel city on macedonian land so there starts my campaign of greece and macedonia. btw, just for fun, i allied with the brutti, easy as pie. but nah, i'm going to fight them soon so fuck that. just was amazed how easy it was. so it was ctrl+s afterwards.
Just outta curiosity, what is your land like so far? Like which provinces do you have? In my head I imagine you as owning all of the aast, and north-east, with pontus persia, egypt and armnia destroyed. And now invading west. Is that right?

new pc and still lack photoshop :( . well i own lique a quarter, the right lower part of the map. but i left 1 egyption city as respect. and am ally with numedia. i know it makes no sence but i wonder what their capacaties are so i leave them allone and hope they go on a adventure. they have like the middle lower part of the map and a bit the right. fuck it, i edited an old brutti pic. my land is behind the red border. i could easely distroy numedia (N) and egypt (tiny area of red bottom right) but i won't. im rooting for numedia to cross the sea. scippii won't be a threat. just funnin in the game. main goal is the macedonian area and on my way to spain. numedia can have the whole left bottom. arrows are armie campaigns.

Rome Total War Club

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-14 23:06:40

Ok, that goal seemes great and all, but I play with Roman faction 99% of the time so I know those cities and that area well, and I think I might be able to give you a few useful hints. Not that you need them, you're doing fine so far ;)

1) Don't go for spain, they have weak provnces that rebel a lot. There's 1 province in that spanish peninsula that's worth it, and that's the southermost one that belongs to carthage at the beggining of the game. Also the 3 top african provinces are priceless. I'm talkin about that top Numedian one yu marked, and the 2 on both it's sides. The one it's right is Carthage itself, which is probably the richest city on the game. And right under Cargthage is another super rich city.

2) The Maconian campaign looks fine, but don't go too far north. Take Corinth, Sparta, Larissa, Athens and Tessalonica and that's it. Any further north and you'll probably run into Dacia, weakcities and not worth the trouble. You might also wanna take Byzantine if you don't have it, historically it's Rome's second capital and obvieously a rich city. It's the southermost Thracian one on that map.

3) Delay war with rome as long as possible. When I play with a roman faction, the civil wars are always a pain and I only hsave to face 2 other roman factions. You'll be up against all 3, meaning that you'll need every unit you can get, icluding armoured elephants.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-17 02:44:23

Noone posting and I'm bored so here's a mini-essay on my R: TW game ^_^

I fought a custom battle. Me with Julii defending Rome (epic wallas) against Greeks. It was a real dumb battle. The AI was pathetic, taking their 4 seige towers from the south-wetern side of the walla all the way to the north-western side and THEN using them. The result was my archers massacaring half their army on the way there. Seriously, if you have towers then just attack, don't walk from one side of the map to the other while maintaning a nice managable distance for my archers (it really seems like they were TRYING to stay within arrow shot range).

As got my Imperial campaign, I re-did the garrison in all my cities. Meaning that I disbanded all those old Hastati and Velites garrison units and replaced them eith Early Legionaire Cohorts, and Auxilia. Also I gathered a mixed force of around 3500 legionires, mercenaries, and old troops (Hastati) along with 3-4 onagers and I took them to Greece. At least the Greece in my game.

You know that Peninsula where Pontus is? In my game that consists of one Egyptian province, one Macedonian, and the rest Greek. So the Greeks have actually set up a decent realm defended byseemingly endless armoured hoplites. I took them by surpirse, taking 2 cities and blocking all their ports inone turn. The initial momentum was stopped however, as they took their armies from the Macedonian and Armenian fronts and counter attacked. Now we're at a standby. Neither side has enough troops to make any significant advances, I could normally waste them, but their armies consist mosty (90%) of armoured hoplites. So it's really hard for mercenaries and Hastati to win against that. I'm however making cavalry like crazy, as soon as I have my cavalry set up, I'll take the offensive. Until then I'm builidng forts and defending the rivers. Their hoplites aren't much good in seiges.

As for the Egyptians, they're fucked. 3-4 provinces left, but they're all weak, I don't think they even have one army left that could number in the 500-1000 range. I also pulled a little trick on them, their faction leader is trapped in the south beside Mempis, I however blocked all the river corssings with ports so unless some fleet appears outta thin ait to save him, he's stuck there. And that's not likely to happen seeing as how Egypt's naval power is lower than absolute zero right now. My armies are tired though. I had to leave garrisons at every conquered cities and I'm running outta infantry. I already ran out of Legionaires and now I'm even forced to leave Preatorians as GARRISON. What a waste! But it seems alright, seeing as how cavalry is all I have left, cavalry is all I need in Greece. So I'll be taking those heavy calavry units, and kicking some armoured hoplite ass ^_^

After that's done there's nothing. Parthia is a gonner. 2 provinces and 0 armies. Macedonia have just one province. Very well defended byt still just one. Armenia is weak too. There's simply noone left except Greece. So a little while longer, and the entire map except for Rome will be MINE!!!

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-17 07:01:12

At 4/17/05 02:44 AM, RavenGage wrote: Rome will be MINE!!!

progress pic plz :)

i can't play, i have to study allot. though i played over lan like 3 times against my lil brother lol. that was fun. he learned by battle that you should never send your cavelry in to leet gladiators and phalanx formations (germania has phalanx = awsome). and that he has to keep his troops in line and in a descent formation.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-17 15:36:05

At 4/17/05 07:01 AM, deurwaarder wrote: i can't play, i have to study allot. though i played over lan like 3 times against my lil brother lol. that was fun. he learned by battle that you should never send your cavelry in to leet gladiators and phalanx formations (germania has phalanx = awsome). and that he has to keep his troops in line and in a descent formation.

Gladiators = kick ass. If there 90 of them in a unit they could even beat the Urban Cohorts (I think).

As for the Germans, their phalanxes are weak. Their main strenght lies in Chosen Axeman, Beserkers, and especially Gothic Cavalry (able to rival even preatorian cavalry).

Also I tried some test battles preatorian cavalry VS Cataphracus. The romans kicked ass. Cataphracus cavalry is no match for the preatorian cavalry.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-18 00:47:43

Just finished off Greece, the crown battle being the seige of one of their cities.Wooden wall and 1500 armoured hoplites. I had 4 onagers though.

The result = and estemate of around 700 of their troops including their king burned under onager fire. The rest were swept away after being sandwiched between preatorian cohorts and legionaire cavalry. Archer Auxilia also did some work, but not too much.

In the end, number wise I didn't even use half my forces (I brought 2200 soldiers) and I still pulled off a tremendeous victory.

The moral = onagers + wooden walla + bunched up hundreds of enemy toops = total ownage

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-18 06:27:26

At 4/12/05 02:40 AM, deurwaarder wrote: AI generals are crazy. patch 1.2 sez to solve it but there is no "drug" for that game so if i install it i can't play it anymore.

Damn, I have been out of the loop too long.

*downloads patch*

Holy shit! 56.28 MB!!! The last one was only 9 MB! I'm on dialup, this better be worth it. 3 hours remaining O_O

Was there a big improvement with v1.2 deurwaarder?

At 4/12/05 04:21 PM, omegalpha wrote: Ihave a question: how does a country become a protectorate? I just noticed the bar in the diplomacy tab.

Sorry for the late response omegalpha :/

Anyway, only the Romans can make a country a protectorate, and it's done through diplomatic negotiations, the same way ceasefires or alliances are made. I'm not exactly sure what the benefits/effects of making a country a protectorate are though.

At 4/12/05 08:01 PM, RavenGage wrote: EGYPT GOT OWNED

I read all that, it was inspirational! Haha, I could just see that whole assault coming together in my mind. Great work! How did you manage to get 1.5 million denarii though? Did you cheat, or was it just good economy?

---------------------------------------------------

Currently, I'm continuing on with a Greek campaign I started in December.

I'd like to share one of my battles I had yesterday. I was outnumbered(~800 to ~500), and outclassed by the Romans, but I was able to defend my settlement with only 1 unit of hoplites, 1 cavalry unit and a few missile units. It was fucking awesome!!!

The Romans had two rams, which they used to break the gate and the wall next to it, as shown below. I blocked the gate up with a wall of spears from my hoplites, and arranged the missile units around the soon to be broken wall. The rams drew back and the Roman Hastati (far better troops than my infantry) poured through, and it was so satisfying to see them mown down by my javelins and arrows! The archers got into a melee, which held them in place, perfect for the peltasts to mow them down! Then the enemy general and more infantry tried to enter at the gate, which was blocked by my Hoplites. But I had prepared for that, and sent my General out of the East entrance, around the settlement, and then right into their backs! By the time my General got there, the phalanx had been driven back slightly, but it didn't matter, the battle was mine!!! I got a Heroic Victory and a little 'famous battle' thing on the campaign map. I don't know why I didn't save the Replay, but it was so cool to win by using tactics instead of brute force.

Here's the basic battle layout:

Rome Total War Club

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-18 06:51:07

Here's my campaign map at the moment, as you can see, I'm taking things slowly :)

Rome Total War Club

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-18 20:46:34

At 4/18/05 06:51 AM, Eldarion wrote: Here's my campaign map at the moment, as you can see, I'm taking things slowly :)

Ooooh.

I'm guessing your at war with the world. You're expaning north, east and west. Not that it's a bad thing, just be careful not to get too many enemies. When playing with the Roman I usually have everyone against me, but they're also against the other roman factions so it's ok. And by the time the civil wars come I'm already powerful enough to handle it. With Grece though... o_O

As for the 1.5 mil thing, it's simple. I've played with Julii so much and every time I conquor roughly the same cities. So I've mastered the economy for that area (Italy, Siciliy, Carthage, and Greece). Those few cities provide the core of my economy backed up by the numerous Gaul and Germanian cities. Also, I don't always fight fair (ie: forcing the other romans to help me with attacks) plus I'm very used to fighting barbarians (and that's mostly all I fought before the Egyptian campaign) so I kick ass in most battles, which allows me to save up money instead of making newer and newr armies. So yeah, rich core cities and weak enemies = money money money.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-04-19 12:37:17

At 4/18/05 08:46 PM, RavenGage wrote: I'm guessing your at war with the world. You're expaning north, east and west. Not that it's a bad thing, just be careful not to get too many enemies. When playing with the Roman I usually have everyone against me, but they're also against the other roman factions so it's ok. And by the time the civil wars come I'm already powerful enough to handle it. With Grece though... o_O

I've really started to harness the power of a hoplite/archer combo. It's unstoppable! I just line out my archers, put hoplites in front and cavalry on either side. The archers cut the advancing enemy down, who run at the hoplites and get stuck, and then the cavalry go around and run into them from behind! I took Rome yesterday with that tactic, vastly outnumbered and outclassed by the Senate army.

And I don't think I'm fighting with too many people :O

Rome Total War Club