00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Save Betamax

13,071 Views | 115 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 18:47:18

good point

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 19:07:27

Omg, wtf are those bastards thinking?
If they start banning home recording of DVD material, they will have one heck of a claim of refunds on their ass.
They'd have to spend millions/billions to refund everybody who has bought a vhs/DVD recorder over the past few years :S
Same with any other Video/Audio recorder.

Did they really think this through???

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 19:25:30

This has re-confirmed my belief that the industry is as retarded as they are near-sighted. It's ridiculous when big business thinks it can dictate law. If I was American I'd give my congress a peice of my mind.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 19:49:00

That's so f'n stupid..*thank god I'm Canadian right now* I think the world has more better things to do than worry about whether or not there should be recorders.
There's a law in Canada that we pay for the CD's, and part of it goes to the RIAA so we can copy music...
ZING!

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 20:05:22

even if they do lose, what are they going to do?
go into every house with ball-peens and bust every one of them?
it would be impossible...
I guess i should get that cd-r drive just in case, and a couple hundred sets of those recordable cds...

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 20:22:58

Fucking government always tryin to fuck every1 over,i would call them up with that phone thingy but i doubt that those fucking pricks r gonna listin to a 13 year old that sounds like a fuckin full grown man tho. Damn those government basterds, damn them all to HELLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! muahahahahahaha

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 20:34:38

At 9/14/04 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Please visit this website and sign up to receive phone numbers for members of congress to call. Today is the national call-in day, so it's your chance to help influence politics!

well tom i ususaly dissagre with just about all the stuff you premote here but i fell strongly about this and not only have i voted but i will try to help spread the word about the site.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 20:49:57

Ignore my last reply. I just finnished reading that page explaning it all. My oppinion? TOTAL BS!!!1 Making VCR's illegal! Please! iPods!!!1 What else, whatever... Don't you see what they are trying to do? Taking away everything that makes us!!! Yea i signed up!!!!!1

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 21:33:54

Maby if I was not working all day!

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 21:58:47

I read about half of that. It's weird that Betamax didn't catch on since it was better than the VHS. I guess I will go to your damn link, you snoody bastard.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 21:58:53

At 9/14/04 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Please visit this website and sign up to receive phone numbers for members of congress to call. Today is the national call-in day, so it's your chance to help influence politics!

what the hell! thats insane!

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 22:19:33

Good luck with that.

Here in Canada it is actually legal to copy from one videotape to another and whatnot.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 22:42:51

This only includes USA?
Good I am in Canada... Well not that good. but yeah.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 22:44:50

well for one thing, i didnt know alot of canadians go on this website. I must be stupid or something.

but to the subject. I love music and most movies. and if there's more peeps like me in america, which there probably is, i'd be pretty pissed myself. the american supreme court's retarded if they ban vhs and the other stuff.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-14 23:26:14

At 9/14/04 09:58 PM, KupaMan wrote: I read about half of that. It's weird that Betamax didn't catch on since it was better than the VHS.

To my understanding, Betamax didn't catch on because Sony didn't allow other companies to make Betamax machines. Similar to what Apple did (until recently), they didn't allow "clones", and it spelled the death of the Betamax, because *whoever created the VHS format* allowed other companies to build VHS machines, and thus it caught on easily.

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 00:58:42

At 9/14/04 06:38 PM, schorhr wrote: Well, but if one government starts...

Let's hope that it doesn't.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 01:09:37

At 9/14/04 11:26 PM, red_skunk wrote: *whoever created the VHS format*

Victor Company of Japan (JVC) created the Video Home System (VHS) format.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 01:37:02

Wow thats really somthing!

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 05:00:24

At 9/14/04 09:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Before there was VHS, Betamax was the first format for making home-recordings of television and movies. The film industry was very displeased with the format and fought to outlaw it. They lost in the Supreme Court and to this day the ruling protects all forms of "copying", such as Tivo, DVD and CD burners.

The film industry was probably against it because it was Japanese: Sony created Betamax; I still have one in my attic.

The film and music industries are trying to pull a fast by pushing new legislation that will undermine this decision. If they succeed, it could be a huge headache for new technologies, which will be tied up by injunctions, depositions, and discovery motions.

This is most likely a knee-jerk reaction after the 'napster ruling' they still want to be able to sell CDs and DVDs, where Napster lets you download them, giving the industry less of a profit.

Sadly, I can do nothing, as I'm in the UK, but if something like this happens on this side of the pond, I shall be out there in force!!!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 08:51:06

At 9/15/04 05:00 AM, Coop83 wrote: The film industry was probably against it because it was Japanese: Sony created Betamax; I still have one in my attic.

But so is the VHS format...

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 08:58:46

I just realised that might be misunderstood, so I'll retract that last post.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 10:30:01

save the beta
and any non americans
that dont care about this shit is a moron
if one super power can do they all can

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 17:27:00

I will probobaly regret posting this for all time. Everyone should sign up and call the members of congress because its a good cause but think about it. There was a ruling that file sharing software such as Morpheus was legal since the owners can't control what goes through it. The record companies have probably tried to change the outcome a lot but the fact is they didn't. They obivously tried because it would be easier (and more effective) to sue the file sharing sompanies then the individual people. Then they made up this bull shit law where they have rights to sue individual people. They probably won't have beta changed and there is a law in the Bill of Rights that says you can't be tried twice for the same offence (amendment 5). You should still sign and call anyway because they might pull some corporate bull shit.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 17:32:52

Lets all move to Canada.
1. It probably has a better law system then we do.
2. We don't have to worry about terrorists or mexicans

if we really wanted to screw they RIAA we can all move to the UK since america includes north and south america (the US is the United Sates of America.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 18:49:16

betamax, eh... havent heard of it, but i just bought a tivo, and if those dickwads wanna come and take it away, theyll hav to pry it from my dead body. I'll join, but i probably cant do much....

Save Betamax

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 19:26:59

Anybody know what the court ruled?

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 19:33:47

That is sooooo fucking awsome!!
I am gonna call them

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 19:57:42

i dont think it will pass cause they failed once and they will fail again

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 22:03:32

I still have my betamax player. In fact, I'm taping a show right now.

Response to Save Betamax 2004-09-15 22:12:24

At 9/14/04 06:59 PM, hyper_goat wrote: Will do, I'll call whoever.. I don't remember BetaMax, but I've heard of it. Cowboy Bebop, anyone?

Beta is obsolete. Kill the music and recording industry anyway. Let them all die of rotting dick cancer.

Save Betamax