i dont think it will pass cause they failed once and they will fail again

GooieGreen
GooieGreen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 15th, 2004 @ 10:03 PM Reply

I still have my betamax player. In fact, I'm taping a show right now.

Farmageddon
Farmageddon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 15th, 2004 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 9/14/04 06:59 PM, hyper_goat wrote: Will do, I'll call whoever.. I don't remember BetaMax, but I've heard of it. Cowboy Bebop, anyone?

Beta is obsolete. Kill the music and recording industry anyway. Let them all die of rotting dick cancer.

Save Betamax

ToasterStrudel
ToasterStrudel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 15th, 2004 @ 10:54 PM Reply

Betamax is almost obsolete today however I have been researching this bill for some time now and it could also threaten something that is much more used today... the I-Pod! To learn more visit http://www.savetheipod.com

RoboticCrotch
RoboticCrotch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 15th, 2004 @ 11:03 PM Reply

At 9/15/04 05:32 PM, Father_Time wrote:

Lets all move to Canada.
1. It probably has a better law system then we do.
2. We don't have to worry about terrorists or mexicans

nice idea lol

TheCrazyPanda
TheCrazyPanda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 12:04 AM Reply

At 9/15/04 11:03 PM, RoboticCrotch wrote:
Lets all move to Canada.

nice idea lol

Man, you're getting banned for the Mexican joke.

BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 01:32 AM Reply

Bet you didn't all know that Betamax was actually better quality than VHS, but VHS won in marketing.

AnarkiJ
AnarkiJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 08:05 AM Reply

I do hope it falls down again, this usually happens whenever something large to do with copying media appears on the news or something like that, then all these massive companies go on the offense using these events as a new spin to get it all banned. The only problem is, if this WAS overturned, the likelyhood of undoing this would be nearly a million to one, and unfortunately enough, this will become inevitable. There best everyone cand o is hold this off for as long as possible for the newer formats and newer technology to already be on the move, like Wade said. but everyone does have a point, it is fairly stupid to do this, yes you're right they will probably get more money by allowing all these things to come into being, but by banning it all completely, they get to completely monopolize and control it in it's entireity.

However I think the supreme court is smart enough to realise just how dangerous this is, because they know that enforcing this will be perhaps the hardest thing that they will ever have to face, and the sheer impossibility of the task would undermine any moral or leagal reason to do it. The reasons for getting rid of it, would be to stop piracy and people making money illeagally, as a lot more people will have access and the availability to do this as time goes on, eventually the supreme court will have to do something, so therin lies a form of dilemma which lies in the supreme courts hands, to do something now or later.

FatherTime89
FatherTime89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 9/16/04 12:04 AM, thecrazypanda wrote:
At 9/15/04 11:03 PM, RoboticCrotch wrote:
Lets all move to Canada.

nice idea lol
Man, you're getting banned for the Mexican joke.

One I meant ment illegal aliens (which is mostly mexicans) and that doesn't mean every mexican.
Two I'm not banned yet

Groovetub
Groovetub
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 03:55 PM Reply

100th reply lolo...!!!!!1

Me-Hate-Libs
Me-Hate-Libs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 05:51 PM Reply

I have no problem with people recording their own personal activities on recorders and the like. I do however have a problem with people recording copyrighted material against the wishes of the owners odf the copyrights. It truly is intellectual property.

And if you don't like having the big corps buying the copyrights, then don't sell them. And if you didn't give the government the power to regulate businesses, then those same corporations could not bribe the federal government into suppressing ideas and new technology.

Let's face it, you people have brought this onto yourselves. You've made you bed, now lie in it.

Die liberals, die. :)

tre-x
tre-x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 16th, 2004 @ 06:41 PM Reply

Holy crap!

I checked that link and found out from 2 paragraphs this goes deeper then I thought!

Mr. President, Ich ein haxxor? NONE OF US HERE ARE! We just want cool new technology! is that so hard to understand!?

Daminter
Daminter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 17th, 2004 @ 03:00 AM Reply

All this stuff may be intellectual property but there's a point where things have gone crazy. After all, if the government told every business in the country they had to put the cost price (the amount it cost the business to make for that one item) and the selling price of that item on one label, they'd freak. It'd just show how much money they're making. And that's after advertising and the rest. People would have their heads.

CEOs getting paid 50 million plus just to leave the job. It makes your head spin. Its not a matter of not paying for the cd or whatever, its a principal of where that money would be going. This is just another example of companies trying to keep as much money as they can. Anyone can be made a singer if you give them the right image, and they have half a decent voice. Its not like the industry is lacking people.

Apparently a CD costs around a dollar to make. And then they charge you this huge bonus. Sure some of its justified..but surely not all of it. The nature of business is interwined with politics. As consumers people have more rights than ever. It shouldn't be 'right' to take away your personal freedom. Merely change the formula, and reach a new solution.

Xtension
Xtension
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 17th, 2004 @ 08:26 AM Reply

CoffeeNut78:
This is a news post concerning the new "possible" law against betamax,
How did this become a "ban me" thread??

Anyways, when will we hear if betamax won or lost?

topcatyo
topcatyo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 18th, 2004 @ 10:07 PM Reply

Anyways, when will we hear if betamax won or lost?

I've been thinking the same thing.

My best friend owns a Betamax, and he loves the thing. My best friend wants an I-Pod, and he'll be pissed if they are made illegal.

DavidGX
DavidGX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 18th, 2004 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 9/14/04 05:00 PM, NickTheBlivit wrote: Tom, you are such a freakin bleeding heart LIB. Go hug a freakin tree.

Go f*ck a nun you conservative scum. This is an important issue.

And besides, this would CHANGE things. You know you're AFRAID of change :D

NathanThomas
NathanThomas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 9/16/04 01:32 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote: Bet you didn't all know that Betamax was actually better quality than VHS, but VHS won in marketing.

Bet we all did. You're not that unique. Betamax was just too expensive, it wasn't marketing. It was quality versus quantity.

NathanThomas
NathanThomas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 02:00 PM Reply

Actually, trying to keep the bill from becoming law would be fighting change. So, really, you're the one trying to preserve the current system (AKA being "AFRAID of change''). It's ok, you're just spewing political rhetoric you've heard before, without actually thinking. It's all right, I understand.

topcatyo
topcatyo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 9/19/04 02:00 PM, KingClock wrote:

Actually, trying to keep the bill from becoming law would be fighting change. So, really, you're the one trying to preserve the current system (AKA being "AFRAID of change''). It's ok, you're just spewing political rhetoric you've heard before, without actually thinking. It's all right, I understand.

Well, really, the main reason we oppose this is because we don't want things like VHS, Tivo, DVD Burners, CD Burners (which I use in case my disc scratches or breaks), Ipods, Itunes, and other things of such.
It's about fighting change because it's a change we feel isn't needed.

NathanThomas
NathanThomas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 07:41 PM Reply

Well, really, the main reason we oppose this is because we don't want things like VHS, Tivo, DVD Burners, CD Burners (which I use in case my disc scratches or breaks), Ipods, Itunes, and other things of such.

I also oppose any legislation to limit my ability to burn CDs (which I use to pirate copyrighted materials). However, just because I oppose those things, doesn't mean the person to whom I replied wasn't using commonly heard language with no thought attached to it.

blamers-rejects
blamers-rejects
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 10:03 PM Reply

The film and music industries are trying to pull a fast by pushing new legislation that will undermine this decision. If they succeed, it could be a huge headache for new technologies, which will be tied up by injunctions, depositions, and discovery motions.

dude thats way not cool. u bet im gona call. its our right to copy and burn stuff long as wer not sellin it

blamers-rejects
blamers-rejects
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 10:19 PM Reply

Ok we get a ton of 5 year old kids from public schools to say "we want the power to burn" in front of people in the supreme court

blamers-rejects
blamers-rejects
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 19th, 2004 @ 10:25 PM Reply

At 9/17/04 03:00 AM, Daminter wrote:

CEOs getting paid 50 million plus just to leave the job. It makes your head spin. Its not a matter of not paying for the cd or whatever, its a principal of where that money would be going. This is just another example of companies trying to keep as much money as they can. Anyone can be made a singer if you give them the right image, and they have half a decent voice. Its not like the industry is lacking people.

This is excatly the thing that makes our capatalists system inperfect. what can a person do with 50 milion? Live an adverage life and have a few mil. extra. does this seem unfair. spend the extra $ on somethin useful like a charity fund, paying for CDS so theyt sell for less, or maybe somethin to do with 9-11.

bob-newman
bob-newman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 20th, 2004 @ 02:49 AM Reply

Don't blame me, I voted for kodos

DavidGX
DavidGX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 20th, 2004 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 9/19/04 02:00 PM, KingClock wrote:

Allow me to explain things in a way a clock would understand.

B BB B B BB B BB B
B
B
BB B
B
B
B
B
B
B B BBBBBBBBBBB B B BBB B B BB B
B BB
B BBB B
BB B

topcatyo
topcatyo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 20th, 2004 @ 03:57 PM Reply

I accidentally forgot to add words.
I meant so say,
" Well, really, the main reason we oppose this is because we don't want things like VHS, Tivo, DVD Burners, CD Burners (which I use in case my disc scratches or breaks), Ipods, Itunes, and other things of such made illegal.".
Sor for that.

NathanThomas
NathanThomas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 20th, 2004 @ 11:42 PM Reply

B BB B B BB B BB B
B
B
BB B
B
B
B
B
B
B B BBBBBBBBBBB B B BBB B B BB B
B BB
B BBB B
BB B

I do speak Clock fluently, and I am glad you've admitted defeat. For those out there who don't speak Clock, I will translate.

"I was wrong.
You made me look stupid.
I am an ignorant fool.
I want to suck your cock.
I just regurgitate trite drivel from a mouth that has never voiced an original opinion in my life.
I apologize for my retardation."

I accept your apology.

michaelov
michaelov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Save Betamax Sep. 23rd, 2004 @ 09:01 PM Reply

thats insane that will reck alot of jobs and screw everythingh up

GhoulieS
GhoulieS