00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Catch20Two just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2024 Submissions Thread

15,001 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Welcome to the AIM 2024! The Art-Inspired Music Contest (AIM) is a yearly Newgrounds compo that challenges musicians to compose a piece of music inspired by art from the Newgrounds Art Portal.

The submissions period is now OPEN and will close on Monday, June 17th at 11:59 PM PST. Review the rest of the thread below for more details!

This year, I got my friend Selena to create the promo art helping to kick off this year's contest. Check it out below!

iu_1191529_4990163.webp

REMINDER

This thread is only for SUBMISSIONS and updates related to the contest from the organizer or another user authorized by the organizer. Use the discussions thread for any questions or comments! Non-submission posts are subject to removal.

HOW TO ENTER

1. Review the rules to understand what's allowed and what's not!
  2. Pick a single piece of art from the Newgrounds Art Portal.
  3. Create a piece of music inspired by that art.
  4. Upload your submission to the Audio Portal, include "AIM" in your song title (e.g. AIM - Strawberries) and tag your track with AIM2024.
  5. Review the rules again, then post a link to your submission and a link to the art inspiration in this thread. If selecting a multi-image work, specify which image you used as your art inspiration.
  6. After submission, I will check over your entry to ensure it is eligible for judging. If it meets the criteria, it will be added to an Approved Entries playlist (which I will link once created). If it is not eligible for judging, I'll reach out in your Newgrounds DMs to let you know why the entry was not accepted. You will be able to update your entry or create a new one up until the end of the submissions period.

...Did I mention checking out the rules? https://random-storykeeper.newgrounds.com/news/post/1437936

May 11, 2024 - Hi everyone, an important update has been made to the rules regarding art inspirations. Effectively immediately:

You may not use art by any of the judges (@Quarl@AED-4@Tangerine or myself - @Random-storykeeper) as inspiration for your entry.

If you are currently working on an entry that is using art from a judge as inspiration, please DM me before submitting your entry so that we can work something out - otherwise, your entry will be disqualified.

If you have any further questions, you can bring them up in the Discussions thread or in the #aim-general channel on the NG Audio Pub Discord.

JUDGES AND SCORING

Here are your judges for this year's AIM:

Approved entries will be scored on a 10-point basis in the following categories (for a total of 40 points max. per judge):

1. Composition/Structure
  2. Emotion/Atmosphere
  3. Production
  4. Relevance to the Art

Judges are encouraged to leave reviews during the judging period but will not be obliged to due to the large volume of entries. In past compos, we've been fortunate in that at least one judge has given their time and effort to reviewing every entry, but it's not reasonable to expect every judge to be able to do that. Judges' scores will be shared once the results are released and we'll do our best to leave feedback whenever possible.

WINNERS

There will be 21 winning entries in total:

1. First Place
  2. Second Place
  3. Third Place
  4. Runner-Ups (17 entries total)
  5. Fan Favourite (more details below)

Fan Favourite

The Fan Favourite vote is a chance for all non-judges to pick and choose the entries they like most from the contest! More details on how this works will be posted in a specific thread made just for the Fan Favourite vote.

PRIZES

1 - Compilation Album

Your track will be included in the AIM compilation album on Bandcamp (see past AIM albums here)

2 - SoundPaint Gift Cards (TOP 3)

This year's prizes for the top 3 entries now include Soundpaint gift cards! They will be distributed as follows:

• First place - $100 USD
  • Second place - $75 USD
  • Third place - $50 USD

END NOTE

Remember, here's the post with the rules and the link to the Discussions thread if you have any questions. Have fun and good luck with your entries!

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-19 10:53:44

At 4/19/24 03:00 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Welcome to the AIM 2024! The Art-Inspired Music Contest (AIM) is a yearly Newgrounds compo that challenges musicians to compose a piece of music inspired by art from the Newgrounds Art Portal.

The submissions period is now OPEN and will close on Monday, June 17th at 11:59 PM PST. Review the rest of the thread below for more details!

This year, I got my friend Selena to create the promo art helping to kick off this year's contest. Check it out below!

REMINDER
This thread is only for SUBMISSIONS and updates related to the contest from the organizer or another user authorized by the organizer. Use the discussions thread for any questions or comments! Non-submission posts are subject to removal.

HOW TO ENTER

...Did I mention checking out the rules? https://random-storykeeper.newgrounds.com/news/post/1437936

JUDGES AND SCORING

Approved entries will be scored on a 10-point basis in the following categories (for a total of 40 points max. per judge):

Judges are encouraged to leave reviews during the judging period but will not be obliged to due to the large volume of entries. In past compos, we've been fortunate in that at least one judge has given their time and effort to reviewing every entry, but it's not reasonable to expect every judge to be able to do that. Judges' scores will be shared once the results are released and we'll do our best to leave feedback whenever possible.

WINNERS

Fan Favourite
The Fan Favourite vote is a chance for all non-judges to pick and choose the entries they like most from the contest! More details on how this works will be posted in a specific thread made just for the Fan Favourite vote.

PRIZES
1 - Compilation Album
Your track will be included in the AIM compilation album on Bandcamp (see past AIM albums here)

2 - TBD
More prizes will be announced in this submissions thread once they are finalized. They will also be shared in the #aim-general channel on Discord!

END NOTE
Remember, here's the post with the rules and the link to the Discussions thread if you have any questions. Have fun and good luck with your entries!

Here's my song:

The art that inspired me to make the song:

Hello, this is a reminder to please use this thread ONLY for submitting your entries! Use the Discussions thread for your questions and comments.

I accidentally replied to someone here earlier, but I'm currently in the process of having all non-submissions posts removed. If you post a question or comment in here, it will no longer be answered here until it is posted in the Discussions thread.

I'll be following up later this weekend with more information on prizes and other announcements. Thank you!

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-20 11:23:02

my submission

inspired by

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-20 13:38:00

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-20 21:42:05

I've done it! Here is my entry. This was a lot of fun, and I got to play with my new Armenian Duduk.

BBS Signature

This is my entry! I really liked doing this and it feels really good to participate in this! <3

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-21 15:15:06

At 4/19/24 03:00 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Welcome to the AIM 2024! The Art-Inspired Music Contest (AIM) is a yearly Newgrounds compo that challenges musicians to compose a piece of music inspired by art from the Newgrounds Art Portal.

REMINDER

HOW TO ENTER

JUDGES AND SCORING

WINNERS

Fan Favourite

PRIZES
1 - Compilation Album

2 - TBD
More prizes will be announced in this submissions thread once they are finalized. They will also be shared in the #aim-general channel on Discord!

END NOTE

Here's my entry!

inspired by:

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-21 16:41:16

Image 1

Anyone who reads this I wish you good luck

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 02:28:32

Hello everyone, here are a few updates I wanted to draw your attention to:

Playlist + Master List

I now have a playlist and Master List set up for approved AIM 2024 submissions! This way, you can listen to all the entries eligible for judging in one go. I also have a Master List set up, which has links to approved entries and their art inspiration, so that these references can be found in one place. I have also linked the Master List in the playlist description.

Prizes

This year's prizes for the top 3 entries now include Soundpaint gift cards! They will be distributed as follows:

• First place - $100 USD
  • Second place - $75 USD
  • Third place - $50 USD

All winners, including the top 3 and Fan Favourite, will still be included in the AIM 2024 compilation CD.

I will update my rules news post with the links and prizes mentioned above, so you will have one place to review all this information.

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 04:49:42

My entry for AIM 2024

Forg

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 20:22:41

i hope this is the right thread

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 20:36:11

My submission

Inspired by this art by @Sulup

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 22:34:54

REMINDER

HOW TO ENTER

JUDGES AND SCORING

WINNERS

Fan Favourite

PRIZES
1 - Compilation Album

2 - TBD

END NOTE

Submission here! (Distance cheering)

Inspired by Birdblitz "rei"

When I first saw this piece, it reminded me of my favorite animation "neon genesis evangelion".

The anime its self was just batshit crazy to be frank.

I mean, angels coming to wipe out earth or something like that, the atmosphere the characters, the emotion, the build up is what hit my core; sometimes bringing me back to beautiful hot summer days, cold gloomy nights and sometimes even the smell and sounds of rain, truly nostalgic. (Yap sesh)

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-22 23:15:44

REMINDER

HOW TO ENTER

JUDGES AND SCORING

WINNERS

Fan Favourite

PRIZES
1 - Compilation Album

2 - TBD

END NOTE

__________________________________________________________________________________

'ello mastas!

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-23 03:39:21

iu_1193534_14674495.jpg

you'll never be baller

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-23 06:24:47

Second entry

Forg

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-23 12:47:21

Inspired by Paxilon's FALKE:

My submission - Failure of a Fanatic:

Good luck to all the entrants :)

Here is my entry!

Inspired by @SourCherryJack

here is my entry for the contest

VIOLETSYSTEMx64

inspired by this drawing by violvix - Violet 4.0iu_1193795_21601471.webp

Submission:

Art:

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-23 22:55:17

Hi!

Here is my entry for AIM 2024 :

Here is the art inspiration :

Enjoy!

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-25 21:11:30

Hopefully I'm doing this correctly

MU53

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-26 22:17:31

Boop

Inspired by

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-27 00:11:13

This was inspired by this:

I am not supposed to be awake right now lol

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-28 00:51:40

Here's my submission #1:

inspired by:

BBS Signature

Here is my submission for AIM:

Art Piece:

EDIT 4/29/24 16:15: some artifacting made it into the final product. Going to work on this and upload a new file soon!

track: "Ad Astra"

artwork: "Positive Space" - newbienalwayswillbe (2012)

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-29 19:46:17

At 4/29/24 05:09 PM, nitokunffr wrote: EDIT 4/29/24 16:15: some artifacting made it into the final product. Going to work on this and upload a new file soon!

track: "Ad Astra"
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1318499

artwork: "Positive Space" - newbienalwayswillbe (2012)
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/newbienalwayswillbe/positive-space

Audio has been fixed for the most part. Not entirely happy with it but it's better than the broken and artifacted audio right in the middle of the track!

Response to AIM 2024 Submissions Thread 2024-04-30 00:31:24

My submission:

And the Art that inspired it:

BBS Signature