00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rydnrofl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What color palettes make you irrationally angry?

1,608 Views | 75 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 16:07:22

At 2/29/24 03:26 PM, Dolorious wrote: I don't really like color palettes that are mostly brown and yuck yellows.
Just think the era of gaming where every game company put a piss or brown filter over every single game.

It’s not even golden yellow/orange like the Mexico filter.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 16:34:16

At 2/29/24 04:07 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 2/29/24 03:26 PM, Dolorious wrote: I don't really like color palettes that are mostly brown and yuck yellows.
Just think the era of gaming where every game company put a piss or brown filter over every single game.

This shit was in most games back then. I have no idea why this kind of filter/color scheme was used so much.

iu_1168954_9507916.webp

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 16:40:19

At 2/29/24 02:17 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 2/29/24 01:53 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote:
At 2/29/24 01:44 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that! and like listen, cringe culture is dead and whatnot, do whatever makes you happy, but i have chronic migraines so personally i physically CANT look at that type of color palette for more than 3 seconds without it giving me a headache. i think bright and contrasting color palettes can be utilized well, im not saying neons as a whole are somehow bad like an angry 30 year old screaming at a child's OC on deviantart for having rainbow hair, just that too much of it legitimately hurts my eyes lmfao
actually, yknow, a lot of people said this exact thing. maybe a bit too predictable. so here's a bonus color palette i hate for no discernible reason: red, blue, and yellow. like yeah, its cute, its the primary colors, its got a clowny feel, but just like what i said above its not always used in a super appealing way. theres one artist who's name i wont say cuz 1. im not a jackass and 2. i forgot honestly who uses ONLY those 3 colors, all super saturated, no black or white. its just like... i dunno... i feel like there should at least be some black lineart to break up the madness. blue directly on top of yellow isnt very friendly to the eyes lol
I reckon that the black line art is what would make most older comic book characters (like Superman, etc) more tolerable to you, heh. There were some really saturated colors in a lot of those designs, but the inked lines were also nice and thick.

I completely forgot Superman has all 3 Primary colours :O I love supermans design but i think its cuz its so balanced as all 3 colours never touch. Thinking about it for more than 2 seconds the red cape acts to frame the design with the yellow core and blue acting as a mediator. Old comics and their colouring is super weird tho the ink was super saturated but the paper was so shitty that itd fade pretty quick, so they kinda worked out to be normal looking.

Balance is really what it comes down to for me, if you have too much bright all over the place or too much dark both are pretty unappealing imo but its hard to put into words how much is too much :L

No fear. No pain.

iu_1169018_8267752.webp

This one

BBS Signature

Really depends, but I've had seen a share of palettes that I don't exactly care for and if they are overly saturated and ignore some basic principle that would cause me to want to bleach my eyes and go blind, congrats you just got one hell of a negative review from me for that.

This is in part because of how color theory is so deeply ingrained into me after painting over 1000 swatches to make a color wheel in one of my college courses. If you can manage to make colors that don't generally work well together work and somehow manage to make it not so much of an eyesore, you have my attention, but if you don't know how to properly mess around with those colors if you know that they are not going to work well together then you shouldn't attempt to try and use them.

So my gripe is this: If you don't know color theory and it's principles well enough and if you can't get your shit together to make something look pleasing aesthetically, don't fucking do it.

Also try to avoid pure white and go for an off white when you can.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 00:46:23

This thread makes me want to do a series of paintings using every color palette you cowards hate.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 01:56:10

At 3/1/24 12:46 AM, SourCherryJack wrote: This thread makes me want to do a series of paintings using every color palette you cowards hate.

This could make for a crazy art collab... Everyone throws the worst color palette they can concoct into a hat and they receive someone else's monstrosity in return >:)

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 05:18:38

Certain combinations of greens and purples really boil my tea.

Red and yellow because it's hard to get it to look nice and not like McDonalds.

I struggle a lot with red in general.

BBS Signature

When the colors are deadass just swatches on the default palette. Is just symbol drawing for colors. Like how hard is it to spend 10-20 mins watching any coloring vid and/or literally just play around to get past coloring like a 3 year old.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 16:49:04

I wouldn't say it makes me angry, but I've noticed that I really dislike pastel colors and really faded/soft coloring

NEANIGHT DEMO

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 17:02:14

Cream colors or shades of brown / light brown

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 17:31:04

I don't know, none of them make me angry.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 17:40:06

This thread is making me rethink my color choices for my most recent oc. Back to the redesign board I guess.

Neon colors irritate me. They can work sometimes, but most of the time it's a mess that burns the eyes.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 17:52:30

At 2/29/24 03:45 AM, JJBoltonNG wrote:
At 2/29/24 02:26 AM, Spaggo wrote: Bright saturated red and bright saturated green. Used to be all I would use and now i hate it

100 years in gulag for posting a image with an iFunny watermark.

At 2/29/24 01:44 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that!

I honest to God HATE scenecore because most artists just fail at what is the background versus what is the foreground due to the usage of color. Now, let me post you an image made by a FurAffinity artist named Blablaizmyname to demonstrate why.

iu_1169500_8079464.png

The problem with the saturation is that it's too distracting from the foreground and lacks any differences from the foreground because the character itself is particularly bright in some capacity, but it's harder to differentiate from either side if both share an identical brightness and saturation. A solution to that would be easily done in multiple ways, like for example, toying around what colors are used, the brightness of the background versus the foreground, just darkening the background, and such. I'm not even going how much I hate this artwork because this is a crime against pixel art due to how inconsistent the lineart is (In a shorter explanation, EVERYTHING should be drawn within the same bit size to avoid this issue because it causes uneven pixels and also ruins the picture if you tried to resize it in non-fractional numbers.).

I honestly don't know what is the color palette that would make me irrationally angry, but if I had to guess, it would be just FULL saturated colors with no mid-betweens, like for example, a color that's 255 Red, while Green and Blue is just 0, and something like that. Mainly because some colors are impossible to achieve without having to give more value in those channels, like a slimy green, gold, or galaxy purple. It's REALLY annoying having to see those colors be improperly used for something like contrast.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 17:56:06

Neon's and overbearing bright colours on general. I prefer my colours to be darker/more subtle, it's easier on the eyes

UP YOUR VIVA!

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 20:42:12

At 2/28/24 05:42 PM, Thetageist wrote: Friends and I were talking about some art we'd found that for whatever reason had a lot of brown tones coupled with a very shiny rendering style, and a few particularly creative insults were thrown around. Things like:

That gave me an idea. I want to ask you: What color palettes grind your gears, either in general or in certain artistic contexts?

Let's rant. >:)

I really dont like that brownish green, I cant explain but it turns me off yk. Also like any other users Im not a fan of super saturated colors and super muted colors unless if its used correctly.

Artist please check out my art, and musician please check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 21:19:58

At 2/28/24 09:09 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 2/28/24 06:03 PM, blackwind677 wrote: green and purple looks like puke
That's the last palette I used, so I'm obligated to fight you.

For me, it's just anything where there's the same saturated hue at multiple brightnesses. If your idea of shading is that "light=add white" and "dark=add black" chances are it sucks. Especially if it's yellow, since it's got so much visual mud to travel through to go a straight line from yellow to black.

fite fite fite (jk :D)

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 22:57:46

At 3/1/24 05:52 PM, BickerySebastian wrote:
At 2/29/24 03:45 AM, JJBoltonNG wrote:
At 2/29/24 02:26 AM, Spaggo wrote: Bright saturated red and bright saturated green. Used to be all I would use and now i hate it
100 years in gulag for posting a image with an iFunny watermark.
At 2/29/24 01:44 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that!
I honest to God HATE scenecore because most artists just fail at what is the background versus what is the foreground due to the usage of color. Now, let me post you an image made by a FurAffinity artist named Blablaizmyname to demonstrate why.

The problem with the saturation is that it's too distracting from the foreground and lacks any differences from the foreground because the character itself is particularly bright in some capacity, but it's harder to differentiate from either side if both share an identical brightness and saturation. A solution to that would be easily done in multiple ways, like for example, toying around what colors are used, the brightness of the background versus the foreground, just darkening the background, and such. I'm not even going how much I hate this artwork because this is a crime against pixel art due to how inconsistent the lineart is (In a shorter explanation, EVERYTHING should be drawn within the same bit size to avoid this issue because it causes uneven pixels and also ruins the picture if you tried to resize it in non-fractional numbers.).
I honestly don't know what is the color palette that would make me irrationally angry, but if I had to guess, it would be just FULL saturated colors with no mid-betweens, like for example, a color that's 255 Red, while Green and Blue is just 0, and something like that. Mainly because some colors are impossible to achieve without having to give more value in those channels, like a slimy green, gold, or galaxy purple. It's REALLY annoying having to see those colors be improperly used for something like contrast.

i also brought up scenecore specifically bc its trying to be scene/scemo with very little understanding of the subculture beyond neon colors and im bitter and nostalgic lmao. but youre right. the art style scenecore is trying to replicate is a lot better at what you mention here so im using that to justify my bitterness. a lot of art within that style has the bright colors limited to either the foreground or background, uses very limited bright colors, or balances the bright colors with black and other neutral tones. it makes the bright colorful parts stand out and makes sense with the idea of scene being a colorful version of emo.

its not that this art is necessarily bad or that ANY scenecore art is bad but man does it become hard to look at when every color is the same level of saturation. nothing sticks out and it hurts my eyes!!!!!

i also might just be projecting because i had a scenecore phase when i was 14 and im still embarrassed lmao... someone let me know if you want me to dig up some of that art from my old deviantart account lmao

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-01 23:23:39

At 2/28/24 05:42 PM, Thetageist wrote: Friends and I were talking about some art we'd found that for whatever reason had a lot of brown tones coupled with a very shiny rendering style, and a few particularly creative insults were thrown around. Things like:

That gave me an idea. I want to ask you: What color palettes grind your gears, either in general or in certain artistic contexts?

Gold-mustard. I hate that weirdly dark-but at the same time bright mustard color. It looks especially appalling on cars. Like I'm sorry, but WHY

I'll never look back, I've got no regrets,

Cause time doesn't wait for me

I choose to go my own way

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 01:04:19

I really don't like the colors Neon orange and deep purple, I love purple but hate most shades of orange and think those 2 colors together is ugly

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 02:02:25

if it's yellow

i will bellow

yellow lights

hurt my sights

dark yellow shades

will always invade

my brain cannot take

yellow as it will put me at stake

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 11:37:56

brown and yellow has to be the ugliest color combination ever

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 17:57:50

At 3/2/24 01:14 AM, JJBoltonNG wrote:
At 3/1/24 11:23 PM, TheMusicalManiac wrote:

Gold-mustard. I hate that weirdly dark-but at the same time bright mustard color. It looks especially appalling on cars. Like I'm sorry, but WHY
It's one of those colors that just does not translate well onto anything else...

*gags*

I'll never look back, I've got no regrets,

Cause time doesn't wait for me

I choose to go my own way

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 19:12:53

At 2/29/24 04:07 PM, Thetageist wrote:

iu_1170032_9200308.png

Arm-Shock will never die!

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-02 19:15:40

I just don't like pastel colors.

iu_1170033_9200308.png

Arm-Shock will never die!

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-03 13:40:04

The kind without enough contrast, I'm not going to strain my eye for that crap.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-03 14:06:08

Not too sure about it making me "irrationally angry", as I have more important things to almost suffer a stroke over (Sonic's tumor quills) but for me yellow is such a painfully precise color to get right. Like I've almost never seen the color yellow used properly, it always has to be mixed in with orange in order for it to look good. Like Sponge Bob and the Simpsons did yellow pretty good, but iirc when Simpsons turned to digital coloring and ~Season 9 of Sponge Bob they blew tf out of their yellows so it becomes an eyesore to look at them, feels like I'm staring into the sun.

Also having a color palette use black as the contrast color feels overrated imo, it kinda share the same thing with Spinging's and Sampson's nuclear yellow, but more so in the sense that it's used to contrast loud colors like red (255 on RGB red to be a nerd about it) or lime green or something like that.

The color palettes of "klik n play engine" games are Very strong for eyes, i know that was made like that due to windows 32-bits limitations, "Sonic Robo blast 2 in its earliest versions expecifically from February 1998. Had extremly bright BLUE colors"

The colors palettes of Sonic Robo blast became better in its Future versions when It became a 3d game in 1999

I like to make animations :)

BBS Signature

I hate lime dark green in general, I cannot imagine anyone who likes it

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-03-03 21:27:09

Monotone or ugly dull colors like grays browns and putrid greens. or pure black and white for graphic design. I may not get angry but I do get annoyed.