00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab

853 Views | 47 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 4/10/24 10:08 PM, Thetageist wrote: I forgot about this thread.

Tried to make a puppet-like pose for a character, wonked up the proportions but otherwise it’s not bad! I tried to use 3D shapes this time instead of just the skeleton of lines. Maybe that’ll make things easier.

so, gesture lines are meant to (surprise) define the gesture of the figure, while what you've drawn, the armature is used to solidify the figures geometry in space, things like foreshortening, light and shadow, perspective. you can and should use both. (loomis's armature is a combination of both) one of the issues youre having is that your geometry has no depth, and is symbolic in some places.

you have to fully follow through and realize your geometry if you want to improve to the next level. thats one of the things the draw a box exercises are for, but being able to imagine and draw primitive shapes in any arrangement is more or less the same sort of study you need to do, it doesnt strictly have to be about boxes, they're just the simplest geometry to fully realize in your mind and on paper.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-12 00:07:27

At 4/11/24 11:10 PM, Template88 wrote:

Tried to make a puppet-like pose for a character, wonked up the proportions but otherwise it’s not bad! I tried to use 3D shapes this time instead of just the skeleton of lines. Maybe that’ll make things easier.
so, gesture lines are meant to (surprise) define the gesture of the figure, while what you've drawn, the armature is used to solidify the figures geometry in space, things like foreshortening, light and shadow, perspective. you can and should use both. (loomis's armature is a combination of both) one of the issues youre having is that your geometry has no depth, and is symbolic in some places.

you have to fully follow through and realize your geometry if you want to improve to the next level. thats one of the things the draw a box exercises are for, but being able to imagine and draw primitive shapes in any arrangement is more or less the same sort of study you need to do, it doesnt strictly have to be about boxes, they're just the simplest geometry to fully realize in your mind and on paper.

How do I give them depth? I thought I did that, I did draw the ends of the cylinders and the like. I also used references for the pose so I got the foreshortening from that.

(Either way I’m probably going to wait until I’m less busy to get super serious about art improvement, so you may just be giving me advice for the future.)

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

At 4/12/24 12:07 AM, Thetageist wrote:

How do I give them depth? I thought I did that, I did draw the ends of the cylinders and the like. I also used references for the pose so I got the foreshortening from that.

(Either way I’m probably going to wait until I’m less busy to get super serious about art improvement, so you may just be giving me advice for the future.)

well, the short answer is that you have to "follow through" or see through and create the full geometry of everything you draw. At first on paper, and then later in your mind. When you're drawing something in order to give it depth and volume you have to actually understand the actual real geometry of the thing you're drawing in space, at least in a simple sense (or in a very complex sense if you are going for realism) these simple shapes are called primitives, every complex shape is made out of a combination of primitive shapes, thats the real reason for those simplistic seeming geometric drawing exercises, like drawing cubes and spheres.

iu_1188222_2341174.jpg

You have to mentally act as a bridge between this harsh geometric figure, and this willowy gestural figure and combine them both together to get a solid final drawing. Loomis's manniquin kind of splits the difference between a hard armature made out of cubes and cylinders and a fully gestural stick figure and to me is more efficient to draw than either, for setting up a figure drawing.

iu_1188223_2341174.webp

but yeah its up to you how far you want to go and when. since you were experimenting I thought I'd explain the actual function behind both approaches. You're still stuck in symbolic drawing, in order to not do that anymore you have to mentally imagine _everything_ as a 3d shape and use that information to define the form on the paper.

You think you did, but you didnt.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-12 01:27:14

At 4/12/24 12:27 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 4/12/24 12:07 AM, Thetageist wrote:

well, the short answer is that you have to "follow through" or see through and create the full geometry of everything you draw. At first on paper, and then later in your mind. When you're drawing something in order to give it depth and volume you have to actually understand the actual real geometry of the thing you're drawing in space, at least in a simple sense (or in a very complex sense if you are going for realism) these simple shapes are called primitives, every complex shape is made out of a combination of primitive shapes, thats the real reason for those simplistic seeming geometric drawing exercises, like drawing cubes and spheres.

You have to mentally act as a bridge between this harsh geometric figure, and this willowy gestural figure and combine them both together to get a solid final drawing. Loomis's manniquin kind of splits the difference between a hard armature made out of cubes and cylinders and a fully gestural stick figure and to me is more efficient to draw than either, for setting up a figure drawing.

but yeah its up to you how far you want to go and when. since you were experimenting I thought I'd explain the actual function behind both approaches. You're still stuck in symbolic drawing, in order to not do that anymore you have to mentally imagine _everything_ as a 3d shape and use that information to define the form on the paper.

You think you did, but you didnt.

Ah okay. Does that mean I have to draw all the vertices/edges, basically? How do I put it in practice?

BBS Signature

well being able to imagine things as 3d objects doesnt necessarily mean you really understand, a lot of the work of drawing is shaping things as you go, iteration. you need to draw the forms so you can understand them better, drawing the forms as though you can see through them is part of making sure that you're drawing them with the proper form/depth, so to apply the concept you need to draw things as though you can see through them until you dont have to anymore. The armature you draw on paper eventually becomes so familiar you're able to visualize it in your mind more solidly or it becomes basically a muscle memory, its how people just draw people/things without looking at a reference. In the mean time with digital art at least the clean up can be perfect, but in your armature example its clear that you dont conceptualize all the forms in 3d space and the ones that you do are imprecise/inconsistent.

Drawing in a symbolic way means the forms are 2d instead of 3d and are symbols representing what you are trying to draw rather than structured forms in space. Can you see the shapes of the armature you did that with instead of visualizing them with depth and form?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

iu_1188294_2341174.png

I took your armature and made another one based off of the same shapes (it is not anatomically correct) but hopefully this illustrates the way you might use primitives to construct a head. you have to literally imagine the planes that make up the shapes to give objects depth and be able to shade/light them properly. to be able to imagine them you have to draw them and figure them out first.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-18 20:35:47

I guess Pokénomaly goes here too since it’s basically an art style experiment. It was supposed to be a quick funny sketch, but I got busy and it took a couple weeks to finish.

iu_1191443_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-18 20:39:44

New potential lore thingy for Mystery Meat

iu_1191444_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-19 02:46:33

At 4/18/24 08:39 PM, Thetageist wrote: New potential lore thingy for Mystery Meat

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys.

Does he get irritated if you pour salt on him?

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-19 08:13:49

At 4/19/24 02:46 AM, JurTheOrc wrote:
At 4/18/24 08:39 PM, Thetageist wrote: New potential lore thingy for Mystery Meat

Probably! Which means the best Pokémon to fight him with would be… Garganacl?

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-19 08:48:44

At 4/19/24 08:13 AM, Thetageist wrote:

Not familiar with that one. Haven't properly kept up with Pokémon in a long time.

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-19 08:50:51

At 4/19/24 08:48 AM, JurTheOrc wrote:
At 4/19/24 08:13 AM, Thetageist wrote:

Not familiar with that one. Haven't properly kept up with Pokémon in a long time.

Yeah, it’s pretty new. I could see an argument for it being one of the “they ran out of ideas” Pokémon. But it looks like a Minecraft mob and I think that’s funny.

iu_1191596_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-19 08:59:39

A Minecraft *mob*? That's an entire fuppin' biome! A salty mesa come to life with a nice cabin on top!

iu_1192185_6994006.png

A concept page for a D&D campaign I didn’t stick around long enough to be a part of. My planned character in this one (see the cowgirl in a couple of these sketches) was effectively a warlock with guns, and this was her patron. Known simply as “The House”, he was a devil in charge of a gambling hall and saloon, whose job it was to ensnare the greedy and drain them of their wealth before they used it to gain control over society (e.g. Elon Musk is a modern example of what The House is trying to prevent.)

House’s fish-like features may look out of place in a desert setting, but he is an ancient being, and in fact originated from primordial times when the area was still covered by water.

Here’s a chart I did of the inspiration behind the character (three characters and three animals):

iu_1192184_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-21 10:49:05

A little goofy thing I did for @TheGarbager619.

It’s a Charjabug and it’s happy to see you.

iu_1192634_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to Dr. Thetageist’s Mad Sketching Lab 2024-04-21 10:57:57

At 4/21/24 10:49 AM, Thetageist wrote: A little goofy thing I did for @TheGarbager619.

It’s a Charjabug and it’s happy to see you.

And i'm happy to see it!

Tits dude

BBS Signature

Line art is done for an OC I’ve talked about with my friends and have finally started drawing.

iu_1192948_6994006.png

This isn’t the anatomy practice that others have been wanting me to do (that’ll wait until summer when I’m not as stressed), but look, I’ve been getting better at clothing!

I also successfully used my pose ref like an actual reference instead of tracing an armature over it. So the crutch helped, but it’s gone now. I think.

Edit: ARGH I DIDN’T FINISH ONE OF THE BOOTS I NEED TO DO THAT REAL QUICK LOL

BBS Signature

And now that I’m done with that serious sketch, I did a sloppier, sillier one. There’s a lot I’d need to fix before I even thought of putting it on the Art Portal, but it still makes me giggle.

iu_1192972_6994006.png

It’s a long story.

BBS Signature