00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jayxofc just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

They're putting Esports in the Olympics

396 Views | 33 Replies

I'm cool with it. I think it's more of a sport than race walking or something.

The choice of games are really weird though. Might as well just drop it if the majority of the selections you're incorporating already exist in the Olympics. I guarantee you they'll eventually change em up to something more in line with traditional esports if it proves successful the first go around.

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to They're putting Esports in the Olympics 2023-03-04 06:36:56

If they don't do Wii Sports I'll be pissed off

we chillin

BBS Signature

At 3/3/23 11:43 AM, orangebomb wrote: This is legitimately the stupidest addition to the modern Olympics ever. Esports is a fringe sport with no personality and little audience to begin with.

A majority of sports at the Olympics are already like this. How many people watch Shotput outside of the Olympics? Probably not comparable to the amount of people that regularly watch esports.

At least with recent additions like skateboatding, surfing and 3x3 ball, they have some degree of legit athleticism involved and 3x3 ball is a variation of basketball. Esports OTOH doesn't even qualify as that, and most are just virtual depictions of real sports/events, which are completely redundant. Who exactly is this supposed to appeal to, other than the hardcore Twitch crowds, if that?

You're correct that they're not physically demanding, but they certainly require technique and precision (traditional esports anyway). Careful coordination and thinking are definitely required if somebody wants to succeed. That takes practice and strategy. I think it's comparable to Archery, Pistol Shooting, Golf, and other such sports that are already at the Olympics in that sense.

I honestly think the most challenging aspect of putting esports in the Olympics is figuring out what to include and exclude. Should FPS shooters be forbidden due to their graphic content? What about fighting games? What's the threshold for adding certain games in? I think that's why they're playing it so safe the first goaround. Maybe they'll get more experimental if it's popular.

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to They're putting Esports in the Olympics 2023-03-04 19:34:19

You all are missing the fact that this is a separate event from the Olympic Games. Just because the IOC is putting on an eSports event doesn't mean Gaming is now an Olympic sport in the actual Summer Olympics or Winter Olympics.

BBS Signature