00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

About the time i was Homeless...

1,227 Views | 17 Replies

About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:13:41

im sure if you searched through my posts you'd know a little about my time as a homeless person. I know I’ve posted about it in peices before... but never in this extent. A few certain people have asked me for the full story, and id rather have it all written out once and for all, where I can just refer to the thread when I need to explain the circumstances to anyone. WARNING THIS IS A LONG ASS STORY in fact, i feel like im gonna be telling my life story since all the details that make up the circumstances. Feel free to comment however you want.

This was the end of last may. I had just turned 18. I lived in evergreen park IL. I had lived there since i was 7. I was about to graduate high school. I was all set to go to Columbia college downtown. I had my wonderful long term relationship, i worked over 40 hours a week between 2 jobs, one at u.p.s. and one at McDonalds. I had 10 grand in my bank account. Life was good.too good

then my parents dropped a bombshell on me. They had been keeping it secret from me for months that they had planned to move to Joliet IL to live with my grandparents. They were going to sell the house who’s bills I had all too often helped pay. Needless to say I wasn’t happy, and they knew I wouldn’t be, which is why they kept me in the dark. Our relationship was already rocky enough with my parents pilfering money from me.. My old man was a drunk and a bad gambler, he only made $13 an hour after tips. My mom is a Waitress. She disapproved of my relationship, and had even gotten into a fistfight with my girlfriend and so our relationship was at an all time low. Neither of my parents have highschool diplomas. I instantly told my folks no, I wasnt going anywhere. They insisted I was, and should, bet I outright refused. My life was in evergreen park and the surrounding ‘burbs, not 35 miles southwest of there. How was I going to go to college? I had already passed up a dorm because I was going to take a bus to the train and take the train to school! This was a disaster, and I felt powerless. I graduated in June. A week later I was going to move. I had told my parents everyday I was not going to go. So the night before they were going to move to Joliet, I packed all my things (I don’t own much, im not very materialistic) into my friends ‘93 s10-blazer. The only thing I couldn’t bring was my wonderful queen sized bed. I had originally planned to strap it to the roof, but it was raining. My parents never noticed me leave because they were used to me leaving in the middle of the night as I had for many years being the insomniac that I am.

I went to my girlfriends house and slept in her bed with her that night. I knew my parents wouldn’t call or come by, because of the scuffle my mother had with my gf the previous NewYears. The next day I went to work as usual and spent the night at a motel with my girl. She seemed to like it that I had threw in the towel at my family. The next two weeks I just stayed with friends. I kept all my possessions at my gf’s with the exception of a small bag my friends had nicknamed my “home” since I practically lived out of the bag.

It was very hard to go to work and even harder sleep at night.. A few nights I even spent awake wandering, or sitting in parks with my gba. It was ok. I was carefree. I had no bills in my responsibility for the first time in many years. My parents would call different friends of mine. I had my friends lie. Sometimes they slipped up. I felt insecure by most of my friends houses whose numbers my folks called. So I stopped staying at those houses. So I had been homeless a while. It was around this time that My best friend Mandy was leaving for a vacation for two weeks. She gave me the keys to her garage in Palos hills while she was gone for me to have a place of my own to sleep. I brought all my stuff over, the highlights being my giant cushion, my hammock, my projector,my miniature fridge, my computer and my xbox. I hung a pink sheet in the garage and invited everyone over to the garage everyday. The neighbors called the police regularly, but they only told us to be quite, since I had the key to the garage and claimed residency in the house, even though it was a lie.

During those two weeks I had so much fun. I quit my job at McDonalds, which was bad because I no longer had free food... but my other job covered it all. I couldn’t easily get to work there anyways, unless I slept by my girlfriends house. I had missed several days already and so I simply quit. The bad aspects of my life were that my back was sore from the hammock. I shaved with the hose. I spent way too much money on food and it was awkward to ask friends for showers. I was happy. Then Mandy came home. I had been homeless or about 6 weeks. Mandy’s Guardian Kathy found me in the garage. She was not pleased that I had been obviously living there. I had been very close to Kathy months before, while she still lived in evergreen, and I was very good friends with both her adopted children. Kathy was pissed about me in the garage, but she let it slide, even though the old neighbors claimed I was smoking pot and having large parties in the garage every night. Kathy knew I didn’t smoke pot. All I really had was a three people playing “DeadOrAlive3" on a giant pink screen.

Well there was a guest room in Kathy’s nice big house. So she let me stay. It became my room. I eventually got in touch with my folks after I was all settled. I wanted my bed, which they had! I got it from them pending my apology, and an agreement to stay with them 4 or 5 days a month. I agreed, and got my bed. So since then I have lived with Mandy and Kathy and Lil’Joe most of the time. I visit my folks occasionally, and I still stay with other friends.I quit Ups and got a warehouse job. My long term gf went crazy a month later and refused to leave her house. She hasn’t left it since September. We were on and off all fall, and in November I gave up. I got depressed and started making flash again and posting on the BBS. I spent the whole year out of school. Im all set up to get my dorm at Columbia this year, and the I will finally have a real home of my own again.

BBS Signature

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:22:35

At 7/14/04 08:15 AM, Zephyr2 wrote: Youve been through some shit.

But you got out of it nice, at least you're going to college, thats good man, ya should be proud. Its shitty having bad parents...

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:27:09

Why is it that people always make otherpeople feel bad for them? A lot of people go through tough shit. They just keep it to themselves because they don't want to make other people they don't even know feel bad. I was at 7-11 and the guy in front of me is getting a Slurpee an he shows the lady that worked their a picture of his son and goes, "He just died today" and left. The lady runs off crying, leaving us, waiting and comes back like five minutes later, dabbing her eyes. Don't make otherpeople feel bad. It's never fun.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:29:26

At 7/14/04 08:27 AM, KupaMan wrote: A lot of people go through tough shit. They just keep it to themselves

And most of those people become bitter about the subject, much like you seem to be.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:34:03

At 7/14/04 08:29 AM, Bickster wrote: And most of those people become bitter about the subject, much like you seem to be.

Thank you, Dr. Phil. I'm bitter because I choose not to make other people sad with my sad stories. Right. I'm just annoyed with people telling their sad stories, getting sympathy from everyone like the attention whores they are. Just like everyone who stages their suicide so that they will be found before they die so everyone gives them attention. No offense directed towards you, ArtistJ, but it just gets irritating sometimes when people try to get sympathy from others. I understand in your case, though, that people actually wanted to know as opposed to you just telling it out of the blue. It's really the "out-of-the-blue" people I don't like.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:37:57

At 7/14/04 08:34 AM, KupaMan wrote: A whole lot 'o' angst.

Once again, it sounds like you want a hug. Posting about what makes you mad is for the same effect as people posting about what makes them sad. You're just vying for the attention with different experiences.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:40:03

At 7/14/04 08:27 AM, KupaMan wrote: stuff

That was kinda funny, but I should be ashamed of myself. :'(

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:42:31

wow!!!
i wanabe you!!!!

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:44:55

At 7/14/04 08:27 AM, KupaMan wrote: Why is it that people always make otherpeople feel bad for them?

thats not my intention at all. Im not trying to be an attention whore. I just wanted to get it all out there in one swift story. Im sick of lil banter about it in diferent threads and Messanger services where i mention i was homeless for a little while and people ask me to elaborate. heres an example from the!DirtySyko appreciation crew that prompted me to write this all me to write this thread in the first place.

At 7/14/04 06:00 AM, pieoncar wrote:
At 7/13/04 05:10 PM, ArtistJ wrote: Funny you should talk about being homeless too.. i was homeless last summer! it was quite posibly the best time of my entire life.
Oh, you can't just give a vague description like that. You have to give details here about being homeless. Especially if you were homeless in Chicago (I'm from NW IN, ever hear of Highland?). I might be taking a trip up to the city with my girl this week, there's like a European flea market or something that she wants to check out... I dunno, anyway, homeless details please

so im sorry KupaMan if i pissed you off... you just misunderstood my intentions is all.

BBS Signature

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:48:21

At 7/14/04 08:37 AM, Bickster wrote: Once again, it sounds like you want a hug. Posting about what makes you mad is for the same effect as people posting about what makes them sad. You're just vying for the attention with different experiences.

I'll take a hug from RJay because he signed up on my birthday. I posted about how it mad me mad to let the people posting about being sad are morons and need to see a counceler, not the users on NG. Besides, I don't create threads to say "People who are sad are stupid!" You're "vying for the attention" by pretending to be Doctor Knoweverything. Of course I want people to read what I have to say. That's why I even post. If I didn't want people to know what I was thinking, I would just think it to myself.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:53:02

At 7/14/04 08:44 AM, ArtistJ wrote: thats not my intention at all.

Yeah, I understand why you did. That's why I said:

I understand in your case, though, that people actually wanted to know as opposed to you just telling it out of the blue. It's really the "out-of-the-blue" people I don't like.

I'm just getting it off my chest. This thread just reminded me of it. Really, I mean no offense to you at all. I'm not just saying that.

PS: I thought you'd not be so nice about that. Wow. The first non-asshole user on Newgrounds.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 08:54:21

At 7/14/04 08:48 AM, KupaMan wrote: You're "vying for the attention" by pretending to be Doctor Knoweverything.

No need to be belligerent.

Of course I want people to read what I have to say. That's why I even post. If I didn't want people to know what I was thinking, I would just think it to myself.

That's not entirely true. If you never recieved responses, I doubt you would post much/at all. Just letting people know what you're thinking, is not why you post.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 09:08:52

At 7/14/04 08:54 AM, Bickster wrote: No need to be belligerent.

Grawrg!!

That's not entirely true. If you never recieved responses, I doubt you would post much/at all. Just letting people know what you're thinking, is not why you post.

How the fuck do you know why I post? It's not often I have to respond to people constantly (not unlike yourself) and I always post the first time to let them know or else I wouldn't have a purpose to post in the first place. Stop responding to me and I'll stop responding to you, "Bickster".

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 09:12:33

At 7/14/04 09:08 AM, KupaMan wrote:
How the fuck do you know why I post? It's not often I have to respond to people constantly (not unlike yourself) and I always post the first time to let them know or else I wouldn't have a purpose to post in the first place. Stop responding to me and I'll stop responding to you, "Bickster".

Once again, the angst. But since it bothers you, that's the last I'll say of it.

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 09:21:33

At 7/14/04 09:12 AM, Bickster wrote: Once again, the angst. But since it bothers you, that's the last I'll say of it.

That's like saying, "Sorry, but..."
So, dear Bickster, I send you a KARATE CHOP!!

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 09:37:41

At 7/14/04 08:13 AM, ArtistJ wrote: WARNING THIS IS A LONG ASS STORY

In -fucking- deed

But I agree, being homeless suck... especialy when it is raining.... becouse you get wet... but if you live in a warm country it doesn't matter... so being homeless in africa is cool....

Response to About the time i was Homeless... 2004-07-14 10:09:53

Well they always say it gets darkest before dawn and your dark times are over. SUnny days from here on out. Sucks about your gf though but there is only so much you can do to help her

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature