00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TimeGoblin just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News

12,315 Views | 81 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 16:03:52

Ok that’s cool

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 16:36:25

WebP is a pain in the ass to deal with every time you save it. Usually, an JPG and PNG use an image viewer application on the computer but WebP uses an internet browser to only view the image which takes a bit longer than just simply opening it up on the application.

Though it does load faster consider it only uses Web tools that especially for a web browser for Image rather than a normal image file so I can see it being used widely.

Also good job with a plan of removing Google and Facebook login options, those are getting annoying to deal with.

https://38cautionzone.com

Ko-fi (Commission/Donation)

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 16:40:20

At 6/15/21 03:37 PM, GraywulfDaDolf wrote: Ugh, macOS doesn't natively support WebP images (and my version of macOS is outdated-ish, so that's a big no for if Timmy's gonna be updating Preview), so is it gonna be made into a WebP image through the server, or do I have to make my own WebP image through GIMP?

You don't have to upload a WebP image - you can upload an image in any format and in places where we are converting, we would convert it to WebP. If you go to the Art Portal and can see the thumbnails, you should at least have support to view WebP files. Safari was the late holdout there, as it always is with everything.

Also, yay for Authy authentication! (How does it work tho? SHA? Is it a symmetrical code, or is it asymmetrical?)

This Wikipedia article about Multi-factor authentication might explain it better than I can.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 18:42:23

At 6/15/21 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: You don't have to upload a WebP image - you can upload an image in any format and in places where we are converting, we would convert it to WebP. If you go to the Art Portal and can see the thumbnails, you should at least have support to view WebP files. Safari was the late holdout there, as it always is with everything.

Well, that's awesome! I don't think GIMP supports saving to WebP, only opening the files for conversion to SVG and stuff like that. I don't know though, as Mr. Cook has sheltered me from what the hell a webpage is. (Something ducks walk on?)

Also, I was about to contact your support email to report the webpage being hella broken on Safari 14.1.1 earlier this week, but I hadn't found the time to. Glad to know it's gonna look better on Safari.

This Wikipedia article about Multi-factor authentication might explain it better than I can.

Ah yes, the infinite tome of knowledge that sort of goes by Newgrounds's slogan.

iu_331413_9162816.webp

Your (former) resident furfag on NG!

"SHAMWOW IS NOT OXYCLEAN, A DOG IS NOT A BROTHER. HOW DARE YOU SHRUG CLYDE'S LOSS OFF SO EASILY." ~ Billy Mays

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 18:44:14

Another glorious day in this man's Newgrounds, have a wonderful week everybody!

Also in b4 @luis

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 18:53:33

@potatoman is so effin awesome.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 18:56:25

Awesome!

💖🌈A Quirky Artist & Creator with a Rainbow of Interests!🌈💖

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 19:29:35

At 6/15/21 02:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/15/21 02:00 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: @Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!
I'm getting a sense of deja vu. Wasn't there a similar contest last year?
We hosted a Shelter In Place Art Jam but the theme didn't involve being able to attach rooms in a grid.

Ah, that was the one! Would submissions for the Shelter in Place jam qualify for this?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 20:34:42

At 6/15/21 12:45 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: 2-Factor Authentication
We’ve also introduced 2-Factor Authentication (2FA).
hopefully people will stop trying to reset my Newgrounds password now, I'm getting sick of getting those emails!!!

What’s the name of your first pet growing up

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: @Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!
We hosted a Shelter In Place Art Jam but the theme didn't involve being able to attach rooms in a grid.

This was actually born from a collab between @Mabelma and myself using my unfinished Shelter In Place WIP.

(>'-')>

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 00:14:06

At 6/15/21 11:43 PM, Zhon wrote:
This was actually born from a collab between @Mabelma and myself using my unfinished Shelter In Place WIP.

Yeah we took that idea and ran with it, did some work on the engine today and it’s looking good. People are being real creative about it so that’s awesome.

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 00:15:26

At 6/15/21 07:29 PM, Gimmick wrote:
Ah, that was the one! Would submissions for the Shelter in Place jam qualify for this?

If it uses the same room template I think yeah, otherwise it sadly won’t be a good fit for the final piece.

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 00:20:45

Hadn’t seen all these amazing pieces till now! Saw a couple that would be a great fit for this interactive one but others although super creative and quite fascinating break the perspective. If it fits with the template though every one is more than welcome, you can submit your old piece, create a new one or fix it up so the perspective matches. Really excited about this, with more people we might even be able to make more than one building 😍😍😍

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 01:09:36

At 6/16/21 12:15 AM, Mabelma wrote:
At 6/15/21 07:29 PM, Gimmick wrote:
If it uses the same room template I think yeah, otherwise it sadly won’t be a good fit for the final piece.

It would be interesting to see if the same "explore rooms" concept can be adapted for the Shelter In Place jam submissions.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 02:03:22

At 6/15/21 03:40 PM, XcorpzTheAlien wrote: YAY more updated ruffle games! even if its just one, still rad!

You can never have enough Ruffle games. We need all that we can get.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 03:16:12

Wow, I really did let go of Webtechnologies. I used to be top-informed about all technologies back in the days. Now I never even heard of WebP. I just don't care.

Had a short read, I don't know. This all seems too familiar like the debacle with JPEG2000. I mean, faster loading is good but if the compression is noticeable? And a format being able to store metadata for an open standard... This sounds very insecure to me. And it looks like there are already competitive formats on the way, so what is the lifespan of this? Ah, I'm rambling. I am definitely not the guru anymore.

But hey, congratulations on the Newgrounds site for staying modern! There are lots of considerations to take in when maintaining such a site, so thanks for all the work!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 03:18:23

Long live to Newgrounds! Great update!

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 03:18:58

Any idea when the Newgrounds Flash Player will be fixed? It never installs Macromedia and I see lots of other people having that issue!

Also, 2FA for the win! <3

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 04:43:20

At 6/16/21 03:18 AM, OatmealPecheneg wrote: Long live to Newgrounds! Great update!

You know it. NewGrounds is the best. I will always be supporting it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 05:45:28

I wouldn't recommend Google Auth, they only allow local storing so if you lose your phone, or whatever, you will lose any account you have 2FA verification associated with it, I'd recommend using andOTP.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 07:33:10

At 6/16/21 05:45 AM, Gage wrote: I wouldn't recommend Google Auth, they only allow local storing so if you lose your phone, or whatever, you will lose any account you have 2FA verification associated with it, I'd recommend using andOTP.

I used to have andOTP but lost everything when resetting my phone (I backed stuff up but the App itself isn't enough). Perhaps the similar Aegis Authenticator would help make easy backups. Just remember to actually make them.

"Hold me Gently, Kiss me Plenty!"

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 08:18:21

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed it, the Best of May were announced last week!

Winners of the Friday Night Funkin’ Jam have been determined and the crew is working on some write-ups of their favorites. I’m gonna go ahead and announce some other news that was postponed due to so many other things going on this past month and a half.

2-Factor Authentication

On your Account Settings page, under Account Details, we’ve added a link for Login Options and 2-Factor Authentication.

On this page you can set your login to be via email address only, so logging in isn’t possible with your username. If you have a popular account and sometimes get emails triggered by failed login attempts, this will likely eliminate those emails.

We’ve also introduced 2-Factor Authentication (2FA). To enable this, you will need to install an authenticator app (we recommend Authy) on your phone and take a screenshot of the barcode on the screen. If you are doing this on your phone and can’t aim your camera at your own screen, there’s a button that will reveal a code you can enter into your authenticator app.

If you have 2FA enabled, your login process will have an extra step where you check your authenticator app for a six digit token to complete your login process.

Having our own 2FA is part of the process of removing Google and Facebook social logins, since some people prefer them for their 2FA option.

If you’re using a social login, we’ve already been prompting you to create your own NG password for several months now. At some point in the near future we will remove the Google and Facebook login options, at which point you can perform a password reset to create a password if you haven’t already.

WebP

We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads. WebP is a modern compression format that allows better quality images at a smaller file size. As of September last year, it is now supported by all major browsers.

@Potatoman was the first person to give it a try, updating this art piece to WebP:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/shid-eater

Art thumbnails are now generated as WebP regardless of the source image. We’ll eventually re-process existing thumbnails across all Portals to make everything load faster. At the moment we’re compressing our WebP thumbnails, which can be noticeable. It’s tempting to use the lossless WebP variant but we like how quickly the Art hub loads at the moment, so it’s a tough call. We won’t be compressing art on the art view page, however we may convert art to lossless WebP in the future, as it would be identical but load faster. Let me know if you have any concerns about that idea.

GZip Support

We added support for games that use GZip, which was becoming more common with Unity games. This solves some games that weren’t working and future games will be able to load faster as a result.

I'll bet some GMTK Jam entries are benefiting from this update.

Ruffle Update

Today’s Ruffle update brought Red Baron back on-line! Ruffle is an open source Flash player created by @Mike and a dedicated team of really smart people. Each update brings more classic Flash back to the web.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/347399

Other News

We also upgraded and added servers, including our primary db server last week, updated jQuery, made lots of optimizations throughout the site and other odds and ends in response to FNF Week 7. Thank you to all our Supporters for helping us keep this going and growing!

@Bluebaby aka Edmund McMillen has launched a Kickstarter for The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls Requiem!

@Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!

@TheEnkian has published a book with cover art by @cyangorilla!

The Art Inspired Music Contest deadline is June 21st.

@Stanpai is organizing an NG Summer Festival for June 25-27th!

The Stay Awake Animation Jam deadline is also June 27th. This is the first of our Summer Animation Jams series, hosted this year by @BrandyBuizel. Thanks to your support, total event prizes are over $4,400 and growing!

We're doing Double XP for the rest of the month, so you can vote on at least 10 entries per day to log 20 XP!

Webp support lets goooo

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 09:07:15

At 6/16/21 03:18 AM, Stepford wrote: Any idea when the Newgrounds Flash Player will be fixed? It never installs Macromedia and I see lots of other people having that issue!

If you completely uninstall it and then install the latest version, does that work for you?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 10:52:05

At 6/16/21 09:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/16/21 03:18 AM, Stepford wrote: Any idea when the Newgrounds Flash Player will be fixed? It never installs Macromedia and I see lots of other people having that issue!

If you completely uninstall it and then install the latest version, does that work for you?

I just went an uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Now it works like a charm! How strange!

Thanks, Tom. <3

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 12:00:51

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: WebP

We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads. WebP is a modern compression format that allows better quality images at a smaller file size. As of September last year, it is now supported by all major browsers.

Art thumbnails are now generated as WebP regardless of the source image. We’ll eventually re-process existing thumbnails across all Portals to make everything load faster. At the moment we’re compressing our WebP thumbnails, which can be noticeable. It’s tempting to use the lossless WebP variant but we like how quickly the Art hub loads at the moment, so it’s a tough call. We won’t be compressing art on the art view page, however we may convert art to lossless WebP in the future, as it would be identical but load faster. Let me know if you have any concerns about that idea.

I've noticed some compression artifacts in the new thumbnails, particularly around high contrast areas and smooth gradients. The later ones show some banding artifacts which make the image seem low quality when looking at the thumbnail only.

For example, this ass I uploaded looks like a deep-fried meme

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 12:34:39

I hope Ruffle will be able to support Newgrounds Rumble someday.

UH OH WORM IS NO MORE!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 15:40:55

At 6/15/21 06:53 PM, SevenOnAStick wrote: @potatoman is so effin awesome.

You're effin awesome! <3

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 16:51:35

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads.

will webp animation work as well? would be awesome as an alternative to gifs.

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-16 18:36:21

Tom when will i be a voter for next month’s best of June

NoobyGotHit AMA! (Only supporters)

The Newgrounds Roblox Noob and creator of the stupid thread, “Is Pico Gay?”.

BBS Signature

At 6/16/21 07:33 AM, Titilonic wrote:
At 6/16/21 05:45 AM, Gage wrote: I wouldn't recommend Google Auth, they only allow local storing so if you lose your phone, or whatever, you will lose any account you have 2FA verification associated with it, I'd recommend using andOTP.
I used to have andOTP but lost everything when resetting my phone (I backed stuff up but the App itself isn't enough). Perhaps the similar Aegis Authenticator would help make easy backups. Just remember to actually make them.

You'd need to be sure to create a backup and store the file somewhere you know is safe such as your computer storage or external drive.

At 6/16/21 04:51 PM, rtil wrote:
At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads.
will webp animation work as well? would be awesome as an alternative to gifs.

It uses VP8 encoding, much like webm, it also supports transparency!

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature