00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BleakNomad just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico Day Aftermath

21,705 Views | 152 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-06 14:50:28

It's so damn amazing to see all the talented and respectable individuals celebrate the life and times of both you and the edgy/philosophical character Pico. It truly is amazing to see all the wonderful new faces come to this website. Contrary to what my bio might say, I've been around here for quite a while. I've always heard of Newgrounds as a kid, as I saw other lads play edgy and (for the standard of a six year old) pretty funny flash games. it wasn't until 2015 that I actually started to go on the website. I felt like an outsider at first, and the extreme (again, for the standard of a kid who never had heard of words like "sex" or "damn") as well as foreign content felt completely out of my league. Eventually, I began to visit the website frequently and found it to be a blast. Ah, I remember when I saw the 'A' rating on the featured tab of the featured art section and desperately wanted to see some booba (yes a kid wanting to see booba, how original lol). But I was too damn afraid that my parents might blow a gasket cause I didn't know how to clear my browsing history and they always said things like "We're always watching you" which made me shit myself when I was younger. The wide group of individuals who were on the sight was too much for my kid's brain to handle at first, but I eventually grew accustomed to the many unique individuals inhabiting this crazy ass site. I still look up to people like Phantom Arcade and AfroNinja for their amazing works and contributions to both Newgrounds and the whole of the internet. The way Newgrounds pioneered Flash for all these years before it's unfortunate closure is nothing to scoff at. Really, the fact that Newgrounds gained the attention of the whole of internet and shaped so may people's childhoods is telling of the website's impact as a whole. And yeah, I know the website isn't as prominent as it used to be, but I still cherish the moments I spend here because it just has so much talent the world has yet to see. As a result. I've grown deeply attached to this place and the batshit insanity it can create. Besides, with a prominence of a certain rhythm game coming to mainstream popularity, now more than ever Newgrounds is relevant in the contemporary scene, something which I had only dreamed about happening again. I can undoubtedly and wholeheartedly say that I love Newgrounds like a second family and it's the one place I can escape the struggles of everyday life, one that I can call home. Thank you, Mr. Fulp. Thank you Pico. And most importantly, I need to thank everyone for being so damn badass.

At 5/5/21 10:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: I’ve been meaning to make this Pico Day follow-up post for a few days but it’s been hard to put it all into words.

So Pico Day started in the forums in 2006 as a day to celebrate Pico but ever since has been embraced as the official Newgrounds holiday. We even had a bunch of Pico Day parties at the office:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/674144

As time went by, it felt strange to see people make Pico stuff every year, so I had been increasingly nudging Pico Day as a day to celebrate everything on Newgrounds, not just Pico. I even intended to change the name to Newgrounds Day but never formally did it because Pico Day rolls off the tongue so well. I had, however, dialed it back to just being an art contest last year.

A lot changed this year. Friday Night Funkin’ came along and became one of the most popular games in the world. FNF is a sort of celebration of Newgrounds itself and has brought a lot of renewed interest in NG lore, interest far beyond what has ever really existed in the entire history of the site.

It’s been both exciting and terrifying because NG has grown and evolved over several decades and now everything old is suddenly new again. We raised almost $8,000 in prizes for Pico Day 2021 and despite another effort to make it a day about all things Newgrounds, this was a very Pico year.

The art category has been mind-blowing, with what looks to be over 1,000 entries. Movies, games and audio are impressive as well, all with big turnouts.

@ARAMort made an entire EP inspired by Newgrounds and it’s freakish how well it captures the essence of the site; I’ve been listening to it a lot this week.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1027668

@Noodle aka 2 Left Thumbs made a video about Pico, exploring the history surrounding the game and NG itself.

It’s been surreal and I’m trying to flow with the river of what is happening because most of it is out of my control. My hope is that lots of cool people are coming here and getting inspired to make a whole new era of great stuff. NG is at its best when you are seeing, playing and hearing things that feel like a peek at the future.

Things have been pretty non-stop ever since FNF Week 7 launched. We put 100 tankmen up for sale on SharkRobot and they vanished in less than an hour without any big effort to even announce them. It’s all so WEIRD. Life is funny, how you can work on something for years without many people caring about it, then suddenly it seems like EVERYONE cares about it. It’s like a smaller version of what happened to @PuffballsUnited and the Among Us team this past year, when suddenly the entire world was in love with their two year old game.

If you’re worried this new attention will somehow ruin NG, I’m pretty confident we’ll be able to navigate through it just fine. Most likely we’ll fumble a bunch of big opportunities for the sake of staying true to what the site is about and I say that in a good way.

It will take some time to sort out the winners for Pico Day and we’ll continue featuring entries in the days ahead.

Thank you everyone who participated and made this week special!

FNF Jam

The FNF crew is still working their way through the Funkin’ Jam entries and are planning another stream where everyone watches together.

Newgrounds Player News

Later today we might be launching an update to Newgrounds Player that will finally solve the issues with it not working in Windows! I’ll make a note here when it goes live.

UPDATE: The new build is now on our NG Player download page, under Preview / Beta (Version 1.0.7). Here's a direct link to download the NG Player Beta. We'd love to know if it works / doesn't work for you and also if you're a 32 bit Windows user in particular. NG Player is Windows only, btw. You can play Phoenotopia to test it!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/644696

Some background: Newgrounds uses Ruffle to run a lot of classic Flash content in the browser but for Flash not yet supported by Ruffle, we have a desktop application called Newgrounds Player. When Flash was removed from browsers at the start of the year, Windows made a series of updates that also broke NG Player. The new version should solve these issues and keep Flash running on the desktop while Ruffle works towards total compatibility in browsers.

There's a lot of great stuff on Newgrounds and I'm proud we've been able to keep it all running. I'm looking forward to seeing what else will be added to the mix!

WowLookAtThisGamerRightHereHolyShit

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-06 15:14:37

At 5/5/21 10:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: I’ve been meaning to make this Pico Day follow-up post for a few days but it’s been hard to put it all into words.

So Pico Day started in the forums in 2006 as a day to celebrate Pico but ever since has been embraced as the official Newgrounds holiday. We even had a bunch of Pico Day parties at the office:

As time went by, it felt strange to see people make Pico stuff every year, so I had been increasingly nudging Pico Day as a day to celebrate everything on Newgrounds, not just Pico. I even intended to change the name to Newgrounds Day but never formally did it because Pico Day rolls off the tongue so well. I had, however, dialed it back to just being an art contest last year.

A lot changed this year. Friday Night Funkin’ came along and became one of the most popular games in the world. FNF is a sort of celebration of Newgrounds itself and has brought a lot of renewed interest in NG lore, interest far beyond what has ever really existed in the entire history of the site.

It’s been both exciting and terrifying because NG has grown and evolved over several decades and now everything old is suddenly new again. We raised almost $8,000 in prizes for Pico Day 2021 and despite another effort to make it a day about all things Newgrounds, this was a very Pico year.

The art category has been mind-blowing, with what looks to be over 1,000 entries. Movies, games and audio are impressive as well, all with big turnouts.

@ARAMort made an entire EP inspired by Newgrounds and it’s freakish how well it captures the essence of the site; I’ve been listening to it a lot this week.

@Noodle aka 2 Left Thumbs made a video about Pico, exploring the history surrounding the game and NG itself.

It’s been surreal and I’m trying to flow with the river of what is happening because most of it is out of my control. My hope is that lots of cool people are coming here and getting inspired to make a whole new era of great stuff. NG is at its best when you are seeing, playing and hearing things that feel like a peek at the future.

Things have been pretty non-stop ever since FNF Week 7 launched. We put 100 tankmen up for sale on SharkRobot and they vanished in less than an hour without any big effort to even announce them. It’s all so WEIRD. Life is funny, how you can work on something for years without many people caring about it, then suddenly it seems like EVERYONE cares about it. It’s like a smaller version of what happened to @PuffballsUnited and the Among Us team this past year, when suddenly the entire world was in love with their two year old game.

If you’re worried this new attention will somehow ruin NG, I’m pretty confident we’ll be able to navigate through it just fine. Most likely we’ll fumble a bunch of big opportunities for the sake of staying true to what the site is about and I say that in a good way.

It will take some time to sort out the winners for Pico Day and we’ll continue featuring entries in the days ahead.

FNF Jam

The FNF crew is still working their way through the Funkin’ Jam entries and are planning another stream where everyone watches together.

Newgrounds Player News

Later today we might be launching an update to Newgrounds Player that will finally solve the issues with it not working in Windows! I’ll make a note here when it goes live.

UPDATE: The new build is now on our NG Player download page, under Preview / Beta (Version 1.0.7). Here's a direct link to download the NG Player Beta. We'd love to know if it works / doesn't work for you and also if you're a 32 bit Windows user in particular. NG Player is Windows only, btw. You can play Phoenotopia to test it!

Some background: Newgrounds uses Ruffle to run a lot of classic Flash content in the browser but for Flash not yet supported by Ruffle, we have a desktop application called Newgrounds Player. When Flash was removed from browsers at the start of the year, Windows made a series of updates that also broke NG Player. The new version should solve these issues and keep Flash running on the desktop while Ruffle works towards total compatibility in browsers.

There's a lot of great stuff on Newgrounds and I'm proud we've been able to keep it all running. I'm looking forward to seeing what else will be added to the mix!

Personally this has been an exciting Pico Day this year. I'm very glad to be a part of this even as my first time being on Newgrounds as a creator. FNF is what lead me to be into the Pico series and the Tankmen series as a whole and hopefully be invested into checking out other NG series in the near future. Good luck to everyone who entered in the contest. I might not have a chance to win anyways but it was fun having to participate either way. :)

"This ain't a scene, this is a goddamn arms race"

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-06 18:58:55 (edited 2021-05-06 19:01:44)

This just might be the best newspost I've read in years here. So well formulated. So both positive and grounded in regard to future improvements and changes and all that shizzle too. Seems like all past rises and falls might've prepared well for this. Future looks bright. Imagine this kind of interest while the actual in-office shop existed too, if y'all might've had someone working full time on packaging and sending stuff out then...

Still feels a little unreal to see what this funkin' wave's become... it's like a flood now. And doesn't seem to be subsiding. Hope we're a valley. A desert deadzone turned to this wondrous water land. Creative oasis anew. So awesome.

2021 really shaping up to be a better year than the last one!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-06 19:22:14

FNF Jam

Newgrounds Player News

Actually pretty nice people are learning about newgrounds from fnf.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-06 22:39:34

I already had an NG account since last year but I decided to become active after the FNF fever came along - and honestly that's one of the best decisions I ever made - for my art and for my mental health!

The site is more than a decade old everything feels so new and refreshing for me. I feel excitement in sharing my art with people once again, and joy on what I draw! I missed this so much: feeling proud for what I create. NG made me feel this again and I'm thankful for that!

Thank you Tom and staff for this awesome Pico Day!

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 00:08:04

Unknown at the time, I was introduced to NG through the Sandwich Shop Ninja animation that a classmate talked a teacher into showing to the class; we had an animation project coming up and used it as an excuse to learn. Fastforward some years and I'm formally introduced through a drawing challenge.

During my time here, my other go to site went through a series of unwanted changes that a majority didn't ask for while NG made improvements for all to enjoy. Thanks to NG I've branched out and participated contests I normally would've stayed cleared of. I participated in an animation collab, several writing challenges and currently this years Reading Challenge.

One of the things that I love about this place is the supportive nature of the community. Everyone jumps in and helps wherever they can to make everyone's day brighter. Here's to countless more years.

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 00:54:54

I feel like we're kicking 2021 with a good start.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 04:08:29

At 5/6/21 08:03 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: kitty krew day

Maybe

star syndicate day

Okay

clock day

sure

how about kruno day? kruno day is about 9th december, rite?

I see what you did there.

What about DoctorStrongbad Day? You have to give the people want they want.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 05:23:41 (edited 2021-05-07 05:24:03)

okay

ok

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 06:21:45

For the post-Pico Day. I decide to draw Nene in a style of Mario + Luigi RPG by AlphaDream.

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 08:35:28

Every time I wear my NG shirt I get a lot of compliments so that's a good sign. c:

art by numeneko

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 09:06:34

ETA on the FNF jam winners announcement?

And about the Livestream, that seems really exciting!!

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 09:14:02

Another grand day to be a Newgrounder!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 15:16:27

and here i was worrying the influx of new fans would make pico day... different (not that i'm exactly a grizzled NG veteran myself)

but everything turned out great for the most part!

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 16:13:03

Hey tom can we kiss?

bubba gump

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 16:20:01

FNF Jam

Newgrounds Player News

u prolly get this a lot but is a mac version of ng player in the works

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 17:45:48

I really enjoyed my first Pico Day. All of the stuff everyone submitted was fun to see. Can’t wait for Pico Day 2022!

Glg brx wudqvodwh wklv fruuhfwob? Li vr, L zlvk brx d jrrg diwhuqrrq. Wkdw lv li lw'v fxuuhqwob dw wkh diwhuqrrq dw wkh wlph brx'uh uhdglqj wklv.

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 22:08:25

Peako Day

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-07 23:13:42

This year had a pretty nice Pico Day. I really liked Portal Defender Tankman, Pico's Initiation, and Pico - Grassy Knoll. Friday Night Hunkin - Pico and KILLSKRILL's PICO DAY 2021 were pretty funny. It's nice that Pico is popular again. I hope other Newgrounds characters like P-Bot, Alloy, and Samurai Asshole become popular aswell.

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 04:20:33

At 5/5/21 02:46 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/5/21 11:43 AM, JimmyBiscuit wrote: Tom, I have a question, how do you feel about the reappearance of Piconjo after 16 years of inactivity and his supposed death?
It's pretty wild!

it wuz teh night bef0re Pico day,

wh3n all thr0ugh teh pr0tal,

not a creature was stirring,

not 3ven a froggle,

t3h flashes were rendered adn submitted with care,

with hopes that teh Piconjo soon wuld be there!!1 <3

g0d 0f teh pr0tal

Piconjo > j00

Piconjo <3 j00

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 06:29:58

not 3ven a froggle,

One froggie stirred, but not the one j00 expected.

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 06:33:51

At 5/8/21 04:20 AM, Piconjo wrote:
At 5/5/21 11:43 AM, JimmyBiscuit wrote: Tom, I have a question, how do you feel about the reappearance of Piconjo after 16 years of inactivity and his supposed death?
It's pretty wild!

not 3ven a froggle,

But..... HOW!!??!!!

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 09:50:21

At 5/6/21 06:59 AM, SevenOnAStick wrote: Everyday should be Pico Day!!!!!

Is Pico Day on Pico Day or Pico Day this year hmm? I can never tell.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 09:55:15

At 5/6/21 08:03 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: kitty krew day

star syndicate day

clock day

how about kruno day? kruno day is about 9th december, rite?

Everybody does have their birthday too y'know. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 09:55:28 (edited 2021-05-08 09:56:36)

At 5/5/21 12:36 PM, Yomuchan wrote: This year's Pico day was incredible, once again.

So yeah, see those guys who whinge on about newgrounds being dead? I'm gonna go laugh at them like the Spanish Inquisition guys.

"HAH! HAH! HAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!"
Like that.

lmao! XD I mean HAH! HAH! HAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Think I'm a follow along on this bandwagon here. Good one.

At 5/6/21 07:45 AM, I-review-good-flash wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3XWrFIwV8

Woooah that is crazy. Puts thing in perspective a bit... I knew this thing was big but not this big!

At 5/5/21 01:15 PM, Kieran wrote: Newgrounds day makes more sense

Though just doesn't sound the same. :/ It's always been Pico...

At 5/5/21 11:04 AM, GrayAnimations wrote: Here, everything IS by everyone. that's what makes it so great.

It took a while but we finally are living up to that name too! Hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 10:48:04

At 5/8/21 04:20 AM, Piconjo wrote:
It's pretty wild!

not 3ven a froggle,

PICONJER?!?!?!1

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 12:03:15

At 5/8/21 10:48 AM, JOEYTHEMARILLFAN wrote: PICONJER?!?!?!1

The one and only!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-08 20:56:16

At 5/7/21 04:20 PM, Kalelcolunga wrote:
At 5/5/21 10:57 AM, TomFulp wrote: ....
u prolly get this a lot but is a mac version of ng player in the works

Earlier in the thread he said they were hoping ruffle would develop (eventually) to the point where a Mac/Linux specific NG player would not be necessary

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-09 05:15:18

Its really surreal hearing about Pico and Newgrounds in public. I'm so happy for the success

Response to Pico Day Aftermath 2021-05-09 06:55:01

i thought he was dead wtf, i guess that explains all the fanart lately